(3/3) With This Last Kiss I let You Go

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories

Finale

 

"Mom! Mr Hong told me there are laws of songs. Do you know it's illegal to copy another person's melody?" 

 

Su Ryeon and Logan have finished with the appointment when her daughter joins them at the hallway excitedly. 

 

For Seol Ah, singing has been a welcome distraction from their family situation. She's taken great care to shelter her from the uglier parts of the divorce, but for how long. 

 

"Let's go, Seol Ah. You can tell me over dinner". 

 

"Have a good night then" Logan nods at her. 

 

Seol Ah takes her hand and stops her, looking at the lawyer in question.

 

"Mr Logan can come with us. I want him to tell me about singing laws. Mister, do you like shrimp and noodles?" 

 

Su Ryeon's cheeks redden. Sometimes her daughter is too friendly. "Honey, I'm sure lawyer Lee has work to do."

 

Logan grins, hesitating. "You were my last appointment". 

 

"Then come with us! Mom promised we'd have a Spicy Bowl. It's for four. Come, Mr Lee, I wanna tell you about my band". 

 

Seol Ah's bright eyes could convince anyone and Logan is no exception. 

 

__

 

 

Seol Ah talks excitedly about her passion for singing and how she will study to be an opera singer. Upon asking, he does his best to explain copyright law to her, assuring her her songs will always belong to her. 

 

He didn't plan on having a meal with the woman he likes. Upon hearing the invitation, he hesitated. He was the one to exclude dating after all. But this is not a date. They're with her daughter, without alcohol, candles or the faintest possibility for more. 

 

"Maria Callas", Seol Ah says, continuing their conversation on their favourite sopranos. "I like her the most. She's lived a life straight out of a movie. Marriages, adoration from people, crystal voice. She sang at Scala in Milan and in every theater I wish to sing". 

 

Logan looks at the child who's so engrossed in her story, it's like she's describing her own dream future. He's studied classical music and it taught him that the burden of excellence is heavy. 

 

"That's all true. But don't forget, before people called her a diva, she was an immigrant in Athens, who spent every waking hour at the music practice room. And her relationships were so consuming, they dragged her down. She was human, is what I want to say. She achieved something extraordinary, just like you can."

 

Seol Ah smiles and nods. She has the joy and wonder of a twelve year old kid, but he feels like he's talking to a friend. She doesn't look like she's grown up sheltered or detached, like many offsprings of affluent families do. Like he did. He's gone to the obligatory family dinners where the children are seen and not heard, their parents taking the reins of the conversation and listing their accomplishments. But Su Ryeon talks to her daughter as an equal, albeit cuter version of a human, so the child has a mind of her own. He can't imagine what it would be like for a kid to sit through their parents divorce and still pursue a dream with hope and openness. 

 

"That's why I like her. She struggled, she wasn't born into this. Did you know she sang 'Norma' while the whole world was watching her and she left before the third act?" 

 

He's heard about the famous incident, but he lets Seol Ah continue. 

 

"She left a note on her dressing room written in red lipstick! And she sneaked out. She felt she couldn't perform well and she would disappoint the people who came to see her". She parts her food and pushes pieces of vegetables around. "I feel like that sometimes". 

 

Logan knows that feeling all too well. 

 

"I'm sure your mom and your friends love and support you regardless of how well you sing". 

 

"Mom will love you no matter what." Su Ryeon adds, caressing her back. 

 

"Dad says he'll come only when I win". Seol Ah swallows a huge spoonful, as if to stop herself from talking. Su Ryeon looks at her sorrowfully. 

 

No one has ever stumbled into a more perfect description for his own relationship with his dad. A part of him itches to tell her to pay it no mind, that people like that don't deserve loving them. But he can't, how can he advise on something he hasn't solved for himself? He stays silent and meets Su Ryeon's gloomy eyes. 

 

"Last time, I… I ran off stage". Her voice breaks, she sniffs. 

 

He can tell how much it pains her, for kids moments like these are soul crushing. 

 

"My classmates laughed and started calling me names. And my teacher gave me a bad mark. And dad saw it on tape, the whole crying and freezing like a baby". tears form in her eyes. "I've had stage fright since", she whispers and focuses on her plate, fearing his reaction. 

 

He waits for her to look at him and he talks. 

 

"In my first trial I was so stressed that my nose started bleeding". She raises her head quickly and hangs on his every word.

 

"Really?"

 

"Yes. The opposing counsel had backed us into a corner and when I was questioning the star witness, I out. I forgot everything I had prepared and couldn't speak. The judge and jury were looking at me horrified. I looked down my white suit and it was full of red stains. I froze and couldn't continue". 

 

Seol Ah's face is full of wonder and recognition. 

 

"What happened then?"

 

"My dad, who was the second chair, took over. We settled the case but I almost died of embarrassment. I couldn't speak before a crowd for a long time". 

 

Both Seol Ah and Su Ryeon have stopped eating and look at him with wide eyes. They'd make an intimidating jury, but strangely he feels relieved sharing his most suppressed memory. It has been a shame and a blemish to his career for years, something that his family never mentions. They only want his perfect side and view his stage fright as a sign of weakness. But the people in front of him don't. 

 

"I couldn't sing for a long time. How did you do it again?"

 

"Do you wanna know the secret?", he teases. 

 

"Tell me", she demands and then adds politely "please". She has the fire and manners of Su Ryeon, and he obliges. 

 

"My mentor snapped me out of it. I had refused to appear in court for weeks and I was only working on the cases from the office. Then I got a visit from the best lawyer I know". 

 

"Who would that be?" Su Ryeon asks. 

 

"My grandmother, Emma Lee."

 

"Did she cook your favourite food?" 

 

A snicker escapes him. 

 

"She threw a book at me! The Penal Code Vol I, these books are heavy." He rubs the spot on his arm where it landed. 

 

"Is she superwoman? She must be old". 

 

"Right on both counts. She was the first woman to open a law practice in Seoul in the sixties. She founded the firm I'm working on now. That day, she bursted into my office and said she didn't dedicate her life to the law and fought criminals and the public opinion alike so that I'd run away at the first difficulty." 

 

"Harsh", Su Ryeon remarks at the same time the girl says "Savage". 

 

"Yes but true. Then she said she'd had a hard time on every court, but hoped that she paved the way so things would be easier for us. And more importantly, that she started a family firm when she could make more money elsewhere, because she wanted us to always have a place to belong to. And no matter how bad I did in court, I'd still be welcome there". He lets out a smile, remembering her kissing his forehead tenderly. "That the people that love me will keep looking at me the same." He looks at her, stressing the message. "This is how I got back in front of people. And you can too. I know you can". 

 

"I guess…" she falters. "But it's hard to think that in that moment when everybody's looking at you". 

 

"This is why she gave me this". He opens his briefcase, and blindly searches inside. He finds the object and opens his palm to show it to her. 

 

"What's this?" He gives it to her to inspect. It's a red string holding a clear jade stone. The top side is embroidered in an intricate knot. 

 

"It's the charm my grandmother gave me that day. She stitched this part", he points at the scales and L letter holding them, "and it has been with my family for ages, bringing luck. I used to tie it on my watch and keep it inside my palm during hard trials. I squeezed it and I knew she was with me". 

 

He plays with the red and gold threads. He was born in more riches than he could comprehend, but it occurs at that moment that this is the most precious thing he owns. 

 

He deposits it in Seol Ah's palm. 

 

"Keep it." She's too stunned to answer, as is Su Ryeon. "You need it more than I do."

 

"Mister, I can't-" Logan brushes it off and closes her palm around it. His treasure is in safe hands. 

 

She thanks him genuinely and puts it in her shirt pocket. A piece of red peeks from the white material and he smiles. 

 

A shimp is placed on top of his rice and he smiles at the girl. 

 

He catches Su Ryeon's eyes, full of something indiscernible and soft. 

 

____

 

 

After more conversation about music and law, thankfully of the lighter kind, Seol Ah finishes eating and with Su Ryeon's permission, she gets up to make friends with a kid at the next table, leaving them alone. They're facing each other, and suddenly the setting is staggeringly closer to a date. 

 

There's a lot he wants to share with her that has nothing to do with law or strategy and everything to do with how the light reflects on her cheek when she smiles. 

 

She scans his face, not paying any mind to the strawberry dessert that's just been placed before her. He wonders if he overstepped earlier with Seol Ah and she is upset. 

 

He flinches under her scrutiny. "About that, I'm sorry if I crossed a line, she seemed upset and I know how it feels to-"

 

She chuckles and takes a spoonful of the delicious looking mousse. He stares at her cute reaction, waiting anxiously until she the spoon and puts it down, focusing on him. 

 

"Thank you". 

 

He lets out a breath he's been holding.

 

"I can't believe you did that for her", she muses. "She's been sad about it for so long and I tried but nothing I said has helped. It's been hard to see her struggling for something that used to make her happy. And she's been holding it in, with the divorce and everything. Thank you for listening to her". 

 

"Anytime". He looks at the far corner of the restaurant, where Seol Ah and a little boy are laughing over the striped fish in the tanks. His heart tugs. He turns to the woman in front of him. "That goes for you too. I'm here". He takes a chocolate covered strawberries from his plate and puts it in hers. He feels something touching his leg softly. The next second it's gone and she eats the strawberry and her thumb. 

 

___

 

 

"There's something I wanted to ask you today". 

 

He motions for her to go ahead. 

 

"Why did you change offices?" 

 

Great, he thinks. It's work related. 

 

"I thought this wasn't a work dinner". 

 

"It's not", she says. "It's a dinner to thank my lawyer for his hard work". She smiles and he thinks of other ways she can show gratitude. Or she can't, in their case. 

 

"Do you dine with everyone who works for you, then?", he teases. 

 

"You should ask my chauffeur". 

 

His eyes widen and they both burst into laughter. 

 

He's never had that, being able to relax with someone in what undoubtedly is a tense period for both. The trial could get ugly and his plan may fail, but he's not worried. The belief that he won't stop until it does, sustains him. And his hope that he'll be in her life long after. If she chooses. 

 

"Logan…"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Answer the question". Damn, she hasn't forgotten. "Why did you move to a common office?" 

 

He plays with his glass, thinking about how much to reveal. 

 

"I've been relocated. Not a cause of concern". 

 

She leans forward and takes the glass from his hand, putting it on the table with enough force for the liquid to swindle. 

 

"Don't lie to me". 

 

"I'm not." She holds him down with a look and he relents. "I'm having some problems at work but you already have enough on your plate. And I'm dealing with it". He doesn't meet her eyes and prays she drops the subject. 

 

She sees his evasive expression and the pieces of the puzzle fit in her head. 

 

"It has to do with me". 

 

His eyes shoot to hers and as she crosses her arms on the table, daring him to deny it. 

 

How can she guess it? 

 

"It does. My father doesn't like how I handle your case." 

 

"So he's demoting you?"

 

If he knows his father, that's only the beginning. 

 

"It's all a twisted power play. He took my office, made a better offer to my secretary, got my brother to talk me into settling and who knows what he's got in store for me next". 

 

"Why is he going to these lengths for one case? I'm sure I'm not your biggest client". 

 

"Because he wants to control me! He lost Alex when he left to start his business so my father put everything into me. All the expectations I didn't ask for. I was a fool to think he'd see my value with time and then he'd trust me". 

 

Su Ryeon is taken aback by his outburst. Great, he overwhelmed her. He racks his brain to change the subject, when she raises from her chair. 

 

He's stunned that she's leaving, but even more when she turns and sits next to him. 

 

"I don't want to be the reason you're at odds with your family". She leans in and looks at him worriedly.

 

"No, no. It's not you, I mean, look", he fumbles and she doesn't seem convinced at all. He turns his body towards her and searches for the words. "I've never had a reason to go against him before. I worked like a dog and always did what was expected of me without caring what for. I closed cases and never thought about them again. They were mere numbers in a score sheet, how many I win, how many I lose. But you came into my life and now I care beyond winning a trial. I want my work to help people. If I have to go against my dad, it's worth it". 

 

"What if he torpedoes your career? Maybe he'll try to make you regret it". 

 

"The only thing I'd regret is not fighting for you", he says with conviction. He leans towards her, testing the borders of appropriate public displays. Her eyelashes flutter and he imagines tracing them with his fingers. Then following the path with his lips. Then…

 

"You're staring", she whispers. 

 

"You're staring back". Her smile widens and his insides dance. Unable to hold himself, he pushes forward and touches his nose to hers, giving her a sweet, slow eskimo kiss. 

 

They're both aware of the line between them. Not risking more, they stay close to each other and if their hands are linked under the table, no one could see. 

 

___

 

 

"So as I understand" the judge says "both parties have reached an agreement on the custody arrangement". 

 

They've opted to settle outside of court, agreeing to litigation and a contract outlining the terms of the separation. They're sitting in a conference room, Su Ryeon and Logan at one side, Dan Tae and his four lawyers opposite them, and the judge on the head of the oval table. 

 

On the other side, a camera records their every move. 

 

"Correct, your honour." Logan starts. "My client is willing to compromise on joint custody". Dan Tae shows his teeth in a vile smile, while his lawyers hide the delight from their faces. "As long as Mr Ju agrees with our settlement terms". 

 

"Proceed". 

 

Logan moves to the division of assets as Su Ryeon twists her rings under the table. This has to work, it's their last chance. She glances at the camera. 

 

Logan brings out a contract and passes it to the other side.

 

"First, Ms Shim demands equal time with her kids." He says and Dan Tae nods. "Second, she forfeits her right to alimony. She doesn't want to be supported financially by Mr Ju". 

 

Dan Tae looks at her as if to say "I knew you'd cave, Shim Su Ryeon". 

 

"What about the penthouse?" He interjects. They should have anticipated this, the man takes and takes. 

 

Logan holds back from gritting his teeth. 

 

Su Ryson leans back on her seat. "You can have it". 

 

Dan Tae laughs and pats his lawyer on the back. 

 

"And third, she maintains ownership of Lot 24, as her furniture company will be her sole source of income". 

 

Dan Tae's eyes shoot open. 

 

"No way in hell, Shim Su Ryeon!" 

 

"Mr Ju", his lawyers hold him back. 

 

"Shut up, you imbecile. I'm not giving her my property. Do your job for once". He turns to Su Ryeon. "Everything I gave you all these years wasn't enough? You're not taking the land, you greedy woman", he spits out. 

 

Su Ryeon tries to maintain her calm demeanor. Her children are watching from the other room. 

 

"You can have every asset I have, as long as the kids and I are safe. I'm willing to let you be a parent for once in your life", she counters, holding back. "I only want what's mine and in exchange, I'm giving you the kids!"

 

Dan Tae takes the contract and crumbles it beneath his fingers. 

 

"I don't give a damn about your kids!" Everyone gasps but he sees red. "What good would they do to me if I don't have the land? You were always so proud of them, but they've been nothing but weaklings, like their mother. I should have beaten the cowardice out of them when I had the chance."

 

Su Ryeon's expression is horrified. Then, as if a veil is lifted, she grins. 

 

"What's happening?" Dan Tae asks, alarmed and his lawyer shakes his head. "Why is she smiling, you daft man? I'm not giving her the property." 

 

I got you. Su Ryeon beams triumphantly. 

 

"Let the record reflect" Logan gestures at the camera, "that Mr Ju has admitted to negligence and physical violence towards his children as well as the unwillingness to shoulder his parental duties. Combined with evidence that he is not the biological father of the children, we move to demand sole custody." The opposite side falters and Dan Tae looks horrified and disgusted. "We're also charging Mr Ju with premeditated physical assault to both Ms Shim and the kids in a separate criminal case."

 

The judge takes a look at the photographs of Su Ryeon's wounds and the bruises on Seok Hoon's skin. Finally, he gives him the printed birth certificates. He purses his lips and gathers the papers in a neat pile. 

 

"This is no longer only a custody case. Given the charges, I can't allow Mr Ju to have any contact with his offspring. Until the case is settled in penal court, Mr Ju is to refrain from contacting his kids for any reason and Ms Shim will have full custody. If Mr Ju is to be found guilty in the upcoming trial, his assets move directly to his legal beneficiaries".

 

"Don't believe a word out of !" Dan Tae interjects and his lawyer shushes him to no avail. 

 

"Silence, Mr Ju. And finally, if the penal court accepts the evidence of physical violence, I will personally recommend to the judge an addition of a restraining order from Ms Shim to Mr Ju's punishment". 

 

Logan was right to risk, after all. They needed to dangle the land in front of Dan Tae and he wouldn't see anything else. Amd just when he was getting whatvhe wanted, to pull back. 

 

Su Ryeon turns at Logan and can't find words to express the relief cursing through her body. Dan Tae is escorted out of the room to be moved to custody. The door opens and the kids come and hug Su Ryeon in a big embrace. 

 

Logan stands up to leave to give the family a much needed moment. But not before looking back and meeting Su Ryeon's tear-shot eyes and she mutters "thank you". 

 

___

 

 

Logan can't take the criminal case, as he's a family lawyer. He puts her in contact with a famed former prosecutor, now working in the private sector. 

 

Hong Cha Young takes her case immediately. The no-nonsense lawyer, dressed in soft pink pant suits puts Dan Tae behind bars for assault. He'll never bother them again. Even after the five year sentence, he has no right to the kids or his fortune. Lawyer Cha's partner Vincenzo assures her they'll use every law and amendment to keep him away from her. Forever. 

 

___

 

 

Two months later

 

 

"The decoration team has finished, lawyer Lee. Do you want to see your new office?" Mr Hong asks and Logan goes ahead. 

 

Logan resigned from his parents firm and established one of his own, with Mr Hong as an equal partner. The new offices were in a central part of the city, so that his varying clientele, not just rich people, would have access. 

 

Leaving his family house and firm was hard, but it was a decision he had to make for the new chapter in his life to begin. 

 

He traces his name tag on the door, encrusted in a bronze plate. He left everything behind, only taking one thing from his old firm. 

 

Diplomas hang from the walls and photos of his most memorable trials. Mr Hong has made this space welcoming, in sharp contrast to the luxurious mausoleum his former firm was. He's left the old money aesthetic behind, opting for an inviting place. The walls of the corridor could use some paintings, he makes a mental note. His eyes fall to the one thing he took from his old office. It's the desk. He couldn't part with it. He enters the room and approaches the massive piece of furniture. He leans in and touches the dented wooden surface. 

 

Suddenly the imposing desk chair swivels and he's come face to face with Shim Su Ryeon. His eyes widen in surprise and a grin bursts out unimpeded. 

 

What's she doing here? He wonders. 

 

"I have a case for you". She says, skipping the preamble. Her tone is commanding, even if the chair is swallowing her small frame. 

 

His face falls. She's here for work, again. And if she wants him to be his lawyer, he can't be anything else. 

 

"Anything", he answers, masking the wave of disappointment hitting him. 

 

"It concerns a woman. She was so used to dealing with problems on her own, she didn't notice that the man was standing next to her all along." The corners of his mouth form a smile. "That man won her children back for her and stuck with her, until she was safe. But just when she rushed into his office to thank him, he's not there. He'd resigned. And there has been no word from him since. Two months of silence." She loosens her grip on the chair handles and raises her eyes. "What is your professional opinion?"

 

Logan touches the desk fondly and takes in her sand coloured dress, draped over her lithe figure. Her hair seems longer, spreading in waves over her shoulders. She looks elegant and composed, if not for her foot shaking under the table. He wonders how he managed to stay away from her for so long. 

 

"She doesn't need to thank him. It's she who brought meaning to his world". He approaches her seat. "And as for the silence, he wanted to give her space to see if what she felt was gratitude or… something more. He wanted her to be out of the bad situation, so that she'd see him for who he was" His brother's words echo in his head. He must be sure she wants him outside the case. "And if she decided to pursue a relationship with him, he needed to get his life in order" he gestures at the new office, "so that he'd be ready to be with her". 

 

Her eyes flutter and she bites her lower lip. The action can't cover the smile that bursts out of her. 

 

He puts his hands on the armrests on her sides and kneels down to match her eye level. There's nothing holding him back anymore, he takes her hand and lets his feelings flow. 

 

"I like you, Su Ryeon Ssi. And I want to be by your side."

 

He brings the delicate hand to his lips, not breaking eye contact. She pulls their joint hands and he's suddenly an inch away from her lips. 

 

"It's not gratitude. What I feel for you, it's hope. I never dreamed I'd find love again at my lowest point. But we kissed and I saw light. I want you by my side", she says.

 

"Do we have a deal then?" He offers, unable to calm his excited heartbeat. 

 

She leans to him, strands of her hair almost touching his face. She tucks it in with elegant fingers. The ring will suit her impeccably. 

 

"Where do I sign?" 

 

"Here", and he captures her lips passionately. 

 

She cradles his jaw, angling his face towards hers as his lips swallow her chuckle. She tastes of strawberries and hope. 

 

He's been waiting for this for so long, the feeling is overwhelming. Every look, every secret touch, every shred of restraint he mustered to keep working for her, they culminated in having her in his arms. Free and happy, as he wanted for her. 

 

Her fingers slip inside the collar and trace his neck as the blood pumps fast on his throat. He's wearing endless layers of suiting and still her touch burns his skin. Needing to feel her closer, his hands travel to her waist and pull her down to his embrace. She touches his neck and links her arms behind his head, one palm getting lost in his hair. 

 

He traces her hips and feels the need to keep her close, as the buttons of his crisp white shirt scratch her blouse. He takes her in his arms, linking her ankles behind his waist. She makes a light 'oomph' and she smiles between kisses. 

 

"I've been waiting for this", he admits, inches away from her lips. 

 

She fuses them with her own. 

 

He launches an attack on her with kisses, , neck and lower and she stabilizes herself with a hand on the desk, breathless. 

 

"You kept the desk", she says with wonder. 

 

"How could I not…", he traces her lips with his fingers and deepens his gaze, "it's where you first kissed me".

 

She puts her palm on his cheek, tracing his jawline and his lips part, as if he's waiting to breathe life into him. 

 

At his look of total surrender, she captures his lips with hers as they slowly lie down the desk, their bodies entangling, marking it with a memory that rivals their first kiss. 

 

___

 

 

"The first time we kissed, we put an end to this". She says long after, sitting on his lap on the desk chair, her back to his front and his arms surrounding her lovingly. 

 

"This time, it's a beginning". He kisses her bare neck and he turns her head to consume her lips fully. When buries his hand in her hair and she moans, he's feeling weightless, like they're lying on clouds. 

 

On the same desk they kissed, hidden under stacks of papers, lies something he bought the day after their first kiss. 

 

A small velvet box. 

 

_____

 

Author's note: that's the end of this story for now. Believe me, I could complicated a lot more with family trauma. Maybe in an epilogue, would you like that? Something about the ring and more. 

We've seen so little of Logan's family, I gave my own version of it, now we get to see how matriarch Emma Lee built her empire that has given Logan the wealth and power he enjoys. And that the correct person will make you challenge your assumptions about life. 
Follow me on Twitter @sloanetobewilde for fic sneak peeks. 
Leave a comment please