A Miracle

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories


Su Ryeon had made her decision. She was ending it all tonight.
--
Wherever you are, I am with you.

His words echoed in her mind. This man  who vowed to protect her from the evils in the world can't protect her from her destiny. It's something she has to do on her own. She can't let them suspect anything, or leave any trace behind.

Looking at the bed they shared, just once, she touches the pillow he used. His warmth is gone, the fabric mocking her hesitance.

She looks in the mirror and s her dress. It falls to her feet, leaving her body almost bare. She looks at her reflection, the scars of the battles she's fought adorning her porcelain skin. One more battle, she thinks, and she'll be free.

Logan can't be with her for this last journey, no matter how much he wants to. She slowly slides her engagement ring off her finger. This ring hides all their memories, his excitement to give it to her before the bomb exploded, her grief of losing him and the prayers of him being alive. Most of all, the pure happiness she experienced as he slid it on her finger before the engagement. It wasn't a shiny gift, it was a promise of the future. A future where they would be together through everything.

We could still be, a voice in her head says.  But Su Ryeon can't let her heart sway, cause she'll run into Logan's arms and stay there forever, forsaking her plan. She catches the glint of the diamond line circling the ring and shuts her eyes closed. It's for Seok Hoon and Seok Kyun, and Hye In. She places the ring on the stand next to the vest that Logan got her, neither to be worn tonight.

---

Logan's watching her from the place he's taken Eun Byol. She thinks she is throwing away her chance at happiness. It disappears as her body disappears into the dark waters.

---

She's not alive anymore. As she flows into the water, she's not dead either.

Her body goes deeper into the dark ocean, the lights on the surface fading slowly. She keeps her eyes open, as her loved ones flash before them. They're not just images. In her suspended state, her mind is ascending into a higher plane of existence, she lives inside the memories and feels the emotions of the scenes, as though she's stuck in the gelly of space and time. The string of her lifetime unfolds in four dimensions.

One flash and she's with Seok Hoon, protecting him from his father. Then it's Seok Hyun is drawing beautifully, a house on top of a hill, overlooking the cerulean waters. The home of her dreams. Hye In appears, struggling to get up then she takes two wobbly steps straight into her arms. It's Yoon Hee, smiling at Rona's antics, cause she was saved from the recital fall and from the hit on her head.  Now they just laugh as mother and daughter.

Everything disappears as a set of sorrowful eyes finds hers and she's with Logan. He just found her after thinking she was dead for two years. His eyes can't hide his emotions anymore, he's raw and vulnerable as he tells her that he'll protect her with his life. She lowers her gaze at him sitting on his bike with teary eyes and only finds honesty in his. He's devoted to her. Her heart swells as it did then. His hands stay on her forearms as they transport to another memory, their position still the same. She's crying in front of him, breaking apart wondering if her kids would be happier without her as a mother. Logan forces her to look at him and speaks with determination. He reassures her she's done everything and the only thing left is to complete her revenge. I'll make you happy, he whispers as he's holding her close, I'll keep the last promise I made to Min Sol A.

Min Sol A. The theater of her imagination cracks. Her daughter, on whose cold body she swore revenge is not smiling. Unlike the others, she's looking at her stoically, like a cold statue. She's disappointed in her, Su Ryeon realises and something inside her breaks.

"How can you die like this, mom? My last wish was you living happily."

"Sol A. I'm sorry, my daughter", Su Ryeon thinks. "I'm coming to you now".

"No, mom. Don't come if you haven't finished your quest. Seo Jin won't go away, your kids need their mom alive. Logan needs you to live".

"I love him with all my heart", she confesses.

"You haven't said that to him yet. I sent him to you cause he's the only person that can make you happy. And you're the only one for him."

"Honey..."

"You have to return, mom, quick! People need you", her daughter pleaded. "Take my hand!"

Su Ryeon's eyes shot open as the ice cold water returned her to the present. She was going down into the depths of the sea.

"Take my hand" Sol A's voice echoed from the surface.

Su Ryeon tried to move but only saw the black water swallowing her whole. Sol A, she pleaded, show me the way.

Suddenly, something shiny shined its way into her vision. A speck of light above her glittered among the darkness. It was the necklace with Sol A's ashes, which came undone as Su Ryeon fell into the water, now floating above her. It was showing her the way. With the last bit of vitality, she pushed her limbs trying desperately to reach the surface. Her body was almost frozen, caught in the valley between death and life, her soul clinging to its vessel.

Sol A's spark was her lighthouse, the place where she fought to reach as the waves crashed around her. Little by little she went up, the tear shaped pendant showing her the way to life. Time was suspended as she fought for her life, and after what seemed like an eternity she saw the water's surface.

With a final push she urged her body to ascend. That moment, was the final push to survive. Her body alone couldn't defeat death. Her mind conjured the images of her loved ones. But what came to her conscious was the reason behind the scenes. All the moments she relived previously, all the happiness and safety her found family enjoyed was because of her. Her kids safe from their father, Yoon Hee enjoying time with her daughter that she saved, Logan believing in her and willing to bet everything on her.

Many people died because of her, but more people lived. And the life of her loved ones was invaluable. She was coming back to them.

This propelled her up to break through the surface with her last breath.

The cold air blew freezing her face, her lips purple and blue. But she was alive. And she had people to see.

Thank you Sol A. I'll keep fighting for you.

I love you, mom. It's not time to meet yet. I'll wait for you and Logan. Sol A promised as she leaned over her mother's head.

Su Ryeon closes her eyes momentarily, thankful for being alive. She absorbed her daughter's energy and smiled.

Be happy for me, Sol A said as she slowly disappeared into the cold air.

I promise I will, honey. I love you.

Su Ryeon's tears slid a warm path on her cold face. Her daughter saved her.

---

The voice in the speaker paused as Logan slid down to the floor of the hotel room, bursting into tears. He couldn't believe it. The grief of losing the woman he loved was like a punch to the stomach.

"Miss Su Ryeon has been found. Please come."

No, she couldn't be dead. She left her ring and vest behind, ensuring he wouldn't follow her in the last journey. But how could she leave him, leave everyone behind?

Logan? Secretary Hong called his name. Logan, they found her.

She's alive.

---

Logan speeds up the highway, the car screeching as he halts and gets out, running to where Su Ryeon was supposed to be. For a moment, he thinks it was a cruel joke of fate and she's been taken away from him again.

Terrified, he looks around the cliff. Nothing. She's not here.

"Mr Lee! Your wife's in the ambulance right..." But Logan doesn't register the information, as he finds Su Ryeon's petite frame hunched over a blanket in the back of an ambulance. She's sitting and trembling as a medic finishes checking her.

Logan runs to her with all his strength, every step bringing him closer to her as his footsteps make the ground tremble. Almost telepathically, she raises her head as he reaches her.

The sight of his woman melts his brain. He can't even form sentences. His body dissolves under the pressure of the heartache he's been baring and falls to his knees before her. His head rests on her lap and cries, in a silent beging not to leave him ever again. His hollow tears mix with her wet dress as she cries and touches his head.

They stay like that for a some time, thankful to be together and alive.

"Logan, I'm here. I'm sorry for leaving."

His cries become harder as he hugs her knees in adoration. Su Ryeon caresses his head and pulls the hair away from his face, turning it up to hers.

"I thought if I died you'd all be safe and the danger would be over, but I have to keep protecting you and the kids. And be happy. Sol A said that to me."

He sits beside her and takes her hands to his. "If you died I wouldn't bear it. Thank you for coming back to me."

"Thank you for waiting for me". He hugs her and his arms feel like home. Warmth and security envelop her and it's truly her favourite place in the world. His hand traces circles on her back, he consoles her even now that he's the one that needs it. She cups his face with his hands and looks at him through teary eyes. "I love you, Logan"

They both reach for a kiss that deepens as their love does. As warm and cold lips meet, tasting each other's sweetness. Su Ryeon is melting in his arms, that pull her to his warm, solid body. They're so close he feels her heartbeat kissing his skin and he thanks heavens she's alive. Everything else can be done. As long as she's with him.

---

Two Weeks Later

It's an open field and flowers have blossomed, kissed by the spring air. Su Ryeon is sitting on a thick blanket, enjoying a picnic with Yoon Hee.

"Thank you for taking care of my Rona. Please, always be at her side, unnie".

She looks at the flower Yoon Hee is giving her and it's a chrysanthemum.

Su Ryeon opens her eyes slowly, trying to keep her fallen friend's presence with her just for a little more. She'll live honouring Yoon Hee, by helping Rona and keeping her into her family, giving her a happy life.

With Yoon Hee's blessing, she's ready to move on.

The hospital bed she wakes up in doesn't seem like one. For one, the sheets are soft and plush and the decor reminds her of a newlyweds suite, full of flowers and candles. But what truly makes it feel like home is the arms around her.

Logan has stayed with her for the whole time she's been in the hospital. Even if her hypothermia symptoms are passing, the doctors insist on bed rest,  monitoring, and avoiding stress. Logan's priority is her health, having made the arrangements for her stay to be as pleasant and comfortable. And not just her physical health. After such a shocking experience, for her as well as him, they find comfort in each other. The mere presence of the other keeping them grounded and reminding them this is what they live for, to love and be loved.

She's sleeping in his arms every night in the big hospital bed that's definitely not for two people. It's the only thing that heals her along with her kids visiting every day after school. His embrace is warm and reassuring as it was from the first time he hugged her close.

She studies Logan's handsomely face, still in the depths of sleep. The bridge of his nose, the arch of his eyebrows, his soft lips that have tasted hers and marked them for life. She's leaving the hospital today, leaving the soft cocoon they've created just for the two of them. She's excited to go outside, but there's one last thing she wants to do right here. She's made the decision a long time ago and she doesn't want to wait a minute longer.

She takes a flower from the bouquet of chrysanthemums that's next to the bed as Logan stirs in his sleep. He doesn't wake, but holds her tighter in his sleep, his arms resting on her hips as his head is smudged adorably on the pillow. She touches his nose and cheeks with the soft petals and watches him slowly wake up. Her smooth motions bring a sleepy smile on his face, because she's the first thing he sees.

"Logan"

"Su Ryeon Shi", he greets her with a kiss on her cheek. "Good morning. Are you giving me flowers?"

"Marry me".

She says it with quiet assurance and loving eyes as she hands him the flower.

"Marry me, Logan. I love you. I knew I loved you before, but as I was floating in the freezing water, I felt your arms around me and realized you are my safe place. If I could go anywhere in the world I'd be with you. That's why you were my hardest goodbye. But I swear, I'm never going to leave you, not now that I know it's so painful. Sol A sent you to me and I didn't think I deserved such happiness after all I've done. But she told me I did, and that we should keep fighting. Fighting for justice and for our happiness. My happiness is beside you, Logan, and I've never doubted it. I don't have a ring with me, or the beautiful one you got me, but I don't want to let days gone by without you being sure you're my future. And I can't wait for it to start." She takes a breath, looking into his glassy eyes. "Will you be with me for the rest of our lives?"

He touches her fingers as he takes the flower from her hand. He swallows, overcome with emotion. His fingers trace her face and gather the tears forming. Slowly, without looking away from the depth of her eyes, he reaches into his jacket's pocket, lying on a chair next to the bed and finds it. The ring, the one he took from Su Ryeon's dresser when he thought she was dead and kept it on him to tether him with her, the same ring that had fought to finally rest on her finger. He puts it on her, as she stares in amazement. It fits perfectly and he kisses her hand adoringly.

"I told you, wherever you go I'll be with you. You being alive was the best gift you could give me. Spending the rest of my life with you is all I want. I promise I'll try everyday and make you happy. But I'll be there when you're sad, when you feel hopeless. You won't bear anything alone anymore, the guilt, the pain, I'll take some of the burden off you so you can be free. I'll never let you walk alone, I'll be your partner in everything. You lead and I go. I love you".

--

Rona's and Seok Hoon's first solo concert was a sensation. Dedicating the last song to Logan and Su Ryeon, who established the generous fund for the arts so that every child could shine as brightly as Min Sol A, they closed the performance receiving a standing ovation.

Su Ryeon applauded proudly, and next to her Seok Kyun did the same. Jenny and Kang Mari joined the pleads for an encore. As they obliged, Su Ryeon got lost in the song and thought about her life right now. She was with her family, two of her kids on their way to a bright singing career, the other was working two jobs and volunteering in a women's shelter. Eun Byol had decided to prioritize her mental health and was living in a quiet village where no one knew her or her mother. Chin Seo Jin had taken a lethal dose of pills, when her daughter didn't forgive her for the deaths of her father, Oh Yoon Hee and almost Shim Su Ryeon. Min Yuik was visiting her often.

The Penthouse was gone. As soon as Su Ryeon regained the ownership, she and Logan built small, eco-friendly houses for low income families, complete with a park, cultural center and hospital. The modest but self reliant houses were close to each other so that people would form a neighborhood and create bonds. No one was above anyone, no floors were separating people in classes. It's what Su Ryeon wanted and Logan insisted on the name.

Water Lilly Village. Su Ryeon's name and an ode to beauty.

She leaned her head on Logan's shoulder and he hugged her close not missing a beat. As the melody filled the atmosphere with notes of light, she felt content. Logan pressed a kiss on her hair and as he held her, she looked up capturing his lips. He was mildly surprised at her public display, but it was a pleasant one, as he realised she felt so comfortable here and there, that she let herself enjoy the beautiful moment.

"I am so happy", she whispered on his lips. "With our life. With you".

His smile was of a man who's been given the world. "I promise that's all you ever be". 

He kisses her eyelids and they stay in this moment as the music swells and leads to the perfect finale.

--

Epilogue. Two years later.

Logan unlocked the door to his house with excitement. The business meeting had gone well, managing to secure funding for the project. It was a special project, and he couldn't wait to surprise his wife with it.

Their house in the US lacked the extravagance of the Seoul mansions. After living at the penthouse and seeing how it inspired greed in people, they opted for a modest abode, one that they happily could call home. It had a piano, indoor plants, Su Ryeon's paintings all over the walls and a garden with a large swing. This is where he walked up to, finding an amazing sight waiting for him. Su Ryeon swinging in the air, her features coloured by the rays of sunset, holdings her three month old daughter in her arms. Hope Lee was sleeping peacefully, enjoying her mother's light caresses. Their fluffy Labrador was laying as a guardian on her feet. His heart swell with love and he stood there, taking them in.

He made his way and slowly sat beside his wife, opening his arms to accommodate both of his girls. Su Ryeon greeted him with a kiss and got comfortable leaning her back on his chest and letting his arms circle her body lovingly.

"I've been thinking about the future", she said after a while. "I decided what to do next, and you can join me".

"Tell me", he inquired.

"We finishing setting up the art fund. Rona and many other kids now have opportunities to reach their dreams. We both poured our hearts in this and it brought me so much joy. Now I want to do it permanently. Help people. I thought we could help orphans and children of broken homes to have a second chance in life. Give them a house, food, pay their legal fees, protect them from crime and poverty. And illegal adoptions. Fight for them if needed. A foundation for the children, here and in Korea."

"I love it. For Min Sol A".

"And all the people we've lost".

"I can't think of a better way to honour them, than helping kids. And fighting for them, like you've always done."

"We. Are you with me?"

Logan let a good-natured laugh. "Darling, our meeting today was for me to acquire every liquid fund, investment and asset that correspond to me and put it into an account to use in the future. I knew you'd want to help people in some way and I've already made some preparations. Being with you and giving my belongings and my time to help is how I'd want to spend the rest of my life".

"It's gonna take a lot of our time and all of our money".

"And it's all worth it"

"For Sol A, for Hope, for our kids."

"It's our new chapter, darling."

"It was worth it, if we're here now", she matched his adoring gaze and elaborated. "All of it, the revenge, the pain, I'd do it again if it meant our people are safe and we're here together". Finally, they were at peace.

"I'd be with you all the way again".

"Let's walk a new path, together". They kiss and hold each other, the baby in their lap closing the circle of love. The sun finally sets, the new day a promise of a wonderfully future.