Men & Flowers

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories

"I demand that Seok Hoon be punished! You can't let it slide, Ms Director, after what he did to my poor little boy", Mrs Kim screams.

Seok Hoon stood in the back of the director's office, listening to the adults debating his punishment. He had no interest in participating or defending himself, cause no part of him regretted what he did. Looking at Rona beside him, he thinks that uploading the embarrassing video was the least Kim Gi Jun deserved. He stayed silent, solemnly looking in front, while chaos was unveiling.

"Mrs Kim", the director tried, "I assure you that in this institution, vile actions like this do not go unpunished. As soon as his parent arrives, Seok Hoon will apologise and ask for your forgiveness".

"His mother is not in Seoul today, and his father is dead. Tell me again how I am to believe he is taught to do the right thing".

Before Seok Hoon could hide his annoyance at the insult on his family, the double doors of the official opened with a bang. A man wearing a sleek modern three piece suit and sunglasses rushed inside the and with long strides he reached Seok Hoon's side and faced the director decisively.

"Who are you?", She asked, barely hiding her exasperation.

"Logan Lee." The man answered and slowly took of his glasses. "His father".

__

The gasps of everyone could be heard outside the room. "But he's so young", "Is he really this man's son?", "I hear he's rich" is what Logan could hear as he touched Seok Hoon's shoulder in a silent message that he was here for him. 

"Mr Lee, are you really his father, because only parents-"

"As you can see, I am listed under primary guardian.

Her secretary nodded yes, the fear in her expression unmistakable.

"Alright, now that you're present, let me explain what transpired".

"No. I'll hear it first from Seok Hoon. He was the one who was there, after all, not you". He turns to the young man, whose eyes widen in surprise.

Seok Hoon chooses his words carefully. "Kim Gi Jun released a video of Rona singing off key in a site that all prospective universities visit to check the applicants. He did it to torpedo her future in music. She has the talent, ambition and grit he wishes he had, so he bullies her. Anonymously of course, like a coward."

This earned him a scream from the kid in question, but Logan nodded to continue.

"So I published the video of him drinking and throwing money away, saying that his dad will pay for everything and he doesn't need school to have a good life."

"You're not in the same class, how did you know his school computer combinations?" Logan asks, a suspicion forming in his mind.

"I just did", Seok Hoon answers averting his gaze.

Rona fidgets with her bracelet, sneaking glances at him. It's not like her to be silent on matters of honour. Logan weights the situation in his mind. It's not what Seok Hoon said, but what he didn't say that made the difference in Logan's mind. 

After the kids leave the room, the adults have a heated conversation. Incredibly, Seok Hoon ends up avoiding suspension for after school cleaning, and Gi Jun is punished too.

___

"Let's go", Logan tells him as soon as the verdict has been reached. 

Seok Hoon, still holding Rona's hand, rises from his seat. His whispered goodbye is met by her encouraging nod. 

Logan enters the car wordlessly and Seok Hoon opens the door to the front seat and lets his body sink on it. He puts his seatbelt with angry moves and waits for the inevitable chastising. 

It never comes.

From the corner of his eye, he watches as Logan drives. He can't figure out if he's angry at his behaviour, disappointed in him, embarrassed to be his step father or any other feeling that will sever their bond. He's come to appreciate Logan, especially how happy he makes his mother. They're often in their own world, looking at each other for comfort and encouragement, even in a room full of people. Logan's actually trying to be in their lives, not as someone who helped in revenge, but as a normal, everyday fixture of their reality. With him around, his mom looks more relaxed and casual. Gone are the strict dinners and choking responsibilities. Mom and Logan make breakfast pancakes, leaving a mess of the kitchen, while serving them to the them with laugher and flour on their cheeks. Logan fits with them, and Seok Hoon secretly values his opinion. That's why he feels uneasy, waiting for the moment he unloads on him and shows his disappointment.

"I know what you're gonna say, Logan", he starts.

"No, you don't", Logan cuts him off, not unkindly. "We're there in a few minutes."

"Where?"

"Patience, please".

"And why are you dressed like that? Too fancy, even for you", he quips.

"I was in the middle of a meeting when I got the call", Logan says matter-of-factly, no malice in his tone.

"And you left?"

Logan nods as if to say 'of course'.

Trying to make sense of the situation, Seok Hoon stays silent for the remaining minutes, wondering what Logan's got up his sleeve.

-- 

The moment they exit the car, his confusion deepens. The place Logan leads him is breathtaking. Flowers of every colour bloom in home made pots and there's a patio overlooking the whole garden. Logan leads him towards it as he takes in the view. 

He expected Logan to take him back to work and punish him with long hours, or anything else but this. This place brings calmness to his heart, as the smell of flowers overloads his senses. 

Logan greets smiling the ajumna who owns the property and the small grandma ushers them outside to enjoy the place.

They sit on a bench overlooking the magical greenery. Logan doesn't talk, just stares into the flowery wonderland.

"Let me have it, then", Seok Hoon breaks. "Did you defend me in front of them to discipline me yourself?"

"I know you took the blame for Rona". Logan turns his head towards him slowly. 

Shocked at the man's accuracy, Seok Hoon bounces his leg nervously.

"What? No. How do you know?"

"Please. I may not have attended high school, but I can see when a boy loves a girl. She posted the video and you took the blame."

"You're not mad at me?"

"Why would I be? When it's exactly what I would have done for your mother." He takes a deep breath. "Look, Seok Hoon, it's not my place to discipline you, I am not your father. But I do love you and I see you as a son. And believe me when I say, he pauses, "I am so proud of you for protecting the person you love, knowing they'd be consequences"..

Tears are threatening to fall off Seok Hoon's eyes at the unexpected kindness.

"I'd be on your side either way, but you took Rona's punishment without saying a word and defended her in front of everyone. You have your mother's courage. Her sense of justice. I am so happy to call you my son". 

The older man's words break something in his heart. It's everything he wished his father had said, everything he longed to hear. Logan, who fought so bravely for and alongside his mother, understood him. 

"You are alright too", he quips and they both laugh whole heartedly. In a move that is unlike him, he hugs Logan. He tries to pack all the appreciation, gratitude and love in this hug. Logan responds with affection. 

They move away and they talk unhurriedly. 

"But why did you bring me here?" He suddenly asks, coming back to reality of being in a botanic paradise.

Logan surprises him once again.

"You're bringing Rona some flowers. She must be worried about you."

At his questioning look, Logan elaborates.

"Put her mind at ease, show her that you're not regretting covering for her and that you're alright."

"I'll do that. The flowers are a good thought".

"We're picking some for your mother as well, it's her favourite place." His expression is open as he to puts his hand on his shoulder, guiding his look on him. "If you want to stand beside Rona, you have to keep her mind at peace. Take care of the things that she allows you to, prove to her that she can rely on you. And always show appreciation", he finishes nodding in the direction of the flowers.

Logan picks a small blue rose, cuts the stem and places it inside on Seok Hoon's jacket pocket. He admires as the light blue brightens his navy uniform. He's never been given flowers, and he will never forget this time. Logan looks at him with fondness in his eyes and a proud smile. 

He keeps the flower for years to come.

-- 

When they finally get home and Su Ryeon asks worriedly if it went alright, Seok Hoon hugs her close. She searches Logan's eyes and he reassuring her silently. His smile breaks free and Su Ryeon thinks they solved more than a school problem. They found each other.