With This Kiss I Let You Go

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories

Not a single sound can be heard in the courtroom. Logan and Su Ryeon stand up on the bench and hold their breath as the judge gets ready to announce the verdict. 

 

"In the case of Shim Su Ryon vs Ju Dan Tae, Mrs Shim' s motion for full custody is… Denied".

 

He hits the gravel and Su Ryeon's heart sinks. 

 

She lost

 

She won't keep her children. Dan Tae's plan to use the children against her is successful. He's hitting her where it hurts. He never loved the kids, not in a way a father would. They're not biologically his, but that doesn't deter him from claiming them. On the opposite bench, he smiles. Like it was easy for him he won. His lawyer pats him on the back. 

 

"It's not over, we'll appeal the verdict". A steady voice assures her. "Su Ryeon ssi, don't worry, we're not finished". 

 

"I lost the chance to take my kids and go! Look at him!" As if on cue, Dan Tae shows his teeth. Though artificially whitened, they look feral.

 

"Don't." Logan whispers and snaps her out of it. He must see this everyday as a divorce lawyer, because his moves are calculated and he's calm. Well again, it's not his future being abruptly decided. "Look at me. Nothing is lost yet. We'll beat him".

 

"We need more evidence". His tenacity is admirable, but the odds are stacked against them. "Logan" she turns to him, ignoring the crowd leaving the room. He gives her his full attention and it's like they're alone in his office, "he got what he wanted. Not just the kids, he wanted to belittle me in front of everyone. Did you see how the judge looked at me? He was thinking I deserved it, I married someone for money, so whatever he did I should take it." Dan Tae was almost penniless when she met him, she even convinced her dad to hire him and let him prove himself. He proved to be a ruthless scum, stealing from the company and moving money under her name. But this was family court, they have no jurisdiction over her divorce. As his lawyer provided snidely, his alleged crimes have no weight on the children's custody. "I have to do something before it's too late".

 

"There's nothing more you can do. That's my job as your attorney. I'll make it happen". 

 

Su Ryeon fumbles with the strap of her bag, gathering her things. 

 

"Don't worry", he places a hand on her forearm, forcing her to look at him. His eyes are round and beautiful and lasering on hers. All this time he's been building her case meticulously, against the lack of evidence. It's an uphill battle, against a justice system that runs on bribes and connections. She really looks at him. Not a hair is out of place, yet she can see the exhaustion seep through, the crease of his eyes deeper. They've been working on her defense for months, pouring over papers, having work lunches and searching for Dan Tae's shady past. He brings her coffee when they see each other. Today there was a pink box of macarons too. To lift her spirits, he said He's been so constant and reliable, for a moment she is almost convinced it will be alright. He draws an absentminded pattern on her skin with the pad of his thumb. He's trying to calm her, trying to assure her. "I'll call you to plan our next step. Now you go rest. I know all this is hard on you, you must be drained". 

 

Physically and emotionally. She's running out of fuel. Some food would be nice. 

 

"I can't rest. My kids…" she blinks away a tear and walks out of the bench. 

 

He comes behind her and they walk side by side. 

 

"I'll get them for you. Trust me". 

 

She trusts Logan, but does she trust the law?

 

 

A massive glass window covers the wall of the conference room, giving the partners an amazing view of midday Seoul. Logan sits on the edge of the long table, while every associate's eye is on his father, presiding over the meeting. 

 

James Lee is standing up over the head of the table, outlining his firm's strategy regarding every case. The partners, a dozen men and women well over forty nod at everything he says. 

 

"Last item on the agenda: Case 12, Shim Su Ryeon vs Ju Dan Tae. Divorce and custody." It's Logan's case and he gets ready to present his strategy when his father raises a hand to stop him. "The partners examined the evidence and we agreed that settling for joint custody is the safest way to resolve this". 

 

He looks around to see if anyone else is equally affronted by that statement. Even his aunt, his usual ally, doesn't oppose it. 

 

"It's my case!" He pushes the legal pad in front of everyone. "And safest for whom, our winning streak?" Murmurs spread around the table. 

 

"Logan, son, we can't risk you appealing and going to another trial, you may lose again". 

 

"It's not us who are risking, it's her! If I settle, Ju Dan Tae will get the kids and she's in danger. He needs to be punished". Everyone's eyes are on him. He's challenging authority, more so, his father. "I'll fight it in court", he resolves. 

 

James Lee fixes his glasses and turns towards the window. 

 

"Can we have the room?" He orders and the executives leave. Aunt Mari exits last, shaking her head imperceptibly. When they're gone, his father's piercing glare hits him unencumbered from across the room.  

 

"Do you remember what I told you when I hired you, right after college?" 

 

He knows the answer, but he's ashamed to admit it out loud. 

 

"I said that if you do what I tell you, you'll be the top family lawyer in Korea. And I gave you everything. A prestigious firm, connections, cases." He touches the back of his chair, making his way to Logan. "You've had a successful career as a result, living up to the family name. You've never strayed, my son. You've made me proud". James stops and locks eyes with him. Logan can't believe what he's hearing. After all this time trying to please his father, trying to not rock the boat and comply with his wishes, he's being recognised. "You're the one who will take on the firm when I'm gone and lead it to glory, with our record of winning cases. That's why I can't let you risk losing this one. You will settle and move on". 

 

Logan's face drops. The image of the man whose mere acknowledgement he spent years chasing breaks. He's self serving and only cares about his name and legacy. 

 

But Logan is not a pawn in his hands. He cares about more. His clients. Justice.

 

Su Ryeon. 

 

Being prim and proper didn't win him his parent's affection, so why bother playing the obedient son?

 

"No." Mr Lee Senior halts. "I will take the case to trial. If that means you punish me, go ahead". 

 

But you can't stop me from defending her, he thinks, leaving his father speechless. 

 

___

 

 

"I am going home for the day. Do you need anything else, lawyer Lee?" Logan's secretary asks. 

 

"No, Mr Hong, you can go." It's already nine in the evening and the pile of papers towering over his desk demands his company for much more. 

 

"Don't work through the night again, you have court tomorrow". 

 

Logan offers him a tired smile. 

 

"Good night".

 

He loosens his tie and rolls up his sleeves, getting comfortable. He opens the custody agreement, aiming to find a weak spot and challenge it, thus having a shot at overturning the decision. 

 

The hours float and linger, while he's pouring into the work. On his desk, there's a mountain of files and papers, haunting him and the lamp provides the sole light in the dark room. He's put the blinds on the window, stopping the lights of the city from busting in. People are enjoying time outside and he's spending another night in the dark, alone. 

 

He runs a hand through his hair and turns the page. 

 

It's dark in his periphery vision so he doesn't notice a figure coming in towards him. 

 

A drop of blood falls on his document. It seeps through the pores of the paper and he raises his eyes. He's met with a blood soaked hand holding what appears to be a flash drive. 

 

 

"I got the evidence". 

 

 

Su Ryeon stands before him. She opens her palm and releases the usb stick on his desk. 

 

Time stands still. 

 

He looks up and really sees her. Apart from the blood on her hand, she sports a chapped lip and a redness that will grow to be a bruise on her cheekbone. She looks like she's holding back pain. 

 

In an instant, he gets up and goes to her, touching her arms. Up close, he can see the cut on her lower lip. His heart beats erratically. 

 

"You're hurt". Cuts mare her pale skin and hair falls into her eyes. His mind runs every possible scenario of what happened to her and he spirals. Her long black dress is torn and he touches the destroyed material of the sleeves and a knot forms in his throat. 

 

He scans every part of her with his eyes, but the more he looks the more his breath catches. 

 

"Who did this to you?" She shakes her head, ignoring the question. "Are you in pain?" 

 

"I'm fine, listen-"

 

"What do you mean you're fine, are you seeing what I do? You're-" his hands travel to her forearms to assess the damage and she shivers. 

 

He turns around and opens the bottom desk drawer forcefully. There's a first aid kid he never thought he would use. 

 

"Come here". 

 

He can't look at her, biting his lips to stop the screams from coming out. What if she's still in danger? 

 

For the first time ever, he's thankful for his strict upbringing. He can repress his anger and fear and focus on the person who needs him. 

 

She walks towards him and he notices the scraping on her knee, the slit of her dress revealing it as she moves. 

 

"Sit". He gestures to the only empty space on his desk. He busies himself with coating the gauge with disinfectant. 

 

"Logan, I just got us this-"

 

"Do you want to kill me? Sit down. You're bleeding all over. Jesus". Not so calm, after all. His hands tremble from the shock and liquid spills over the material. 

 

She hops on the desk wordlessly. 

 

He'd smile at her sitting cross-legged, the pain not preventing her good manners. But he pushes his lips together and takes a deep breath. 

 

"Give me your hand, please". Her palm grazes his and he holds her wrist carefully. She lets go and her fingers open, like white lotus flower, revealing a bloody core. Her cut is deeper than it appeared, extending from one side to the other. Dry blood is splashed on her two gold rings. 

 

"Logan".

 

His eyes shoot to hers, realising he's been staring at her hand and not moving. The sight of blood always made him flinch, ever since his chemotherapy days. He bites it back and does his best to clean the wound. 

 

"Who did this?"

 

He prays his suspicions aren't true. 

 

"Who do you think". It's not a question. He starts cleaning the skin. 

 

"What happened?"

 

"I don't think I should tell you more". 

 

The alcohol hits her wound and she flinches audibly and pulls her hand back. 

 

"Sorry". He blows at the cut and he sees her soften. "I'll be more careful." Now there's blood under his fingernails too. "Tell me. Everything. I'm your lawyer. I need to know''.

 

"I went to the penthouse. I remember secretary Jo saying he'd be with Seo Jin and other Cheon Academy executives. I know his office door password."

 

"Did he tell it to you?"

 

"No."

 

So she had found out on her own. Even back then, she was suspicious of him. And smart. This woman.

 

"I sneaked in from the back entrance and used the staff elevator. It leads to the safe."

 

"Didn't you tell me he beat up Seok Hoon when he attempted to get in? Why did you go?" His last words are spoken loudly and ring across the silent office. 

 

"We needed the evidence and I got it!" He stops. "His safe room is where he keeps everything, that's why no one was ever allowed to set foot in there. I figured that's where he'd keep anything he didn't want me to find out. And do you know what I found?"

 

He asks. 

 

"The kids' birth certificates. The real ones".

 

Realisation dawns on him, that is the evidence he's been searching for. 

 

"Proof he's not the biological father". 

 

"Exactly". 

 

Su Ryeon had told him that the kids were from her first marriage and Dan Tae recognised them as his in the eyes of the law. When she was a young, pregnant woman mourning the death of her partner, that gesture meant the world. She has found someone who would treat her kids as his own, going so far as to give them his name. She felt safe and sure, making up for not feeling any romantic attraction to that man. He'd be a stable, loving father, and that trumped her personal happiness. But as he looks at her injured body, they're both reminded that this man turned out to be a monster, using the children he'd vowed to protect. 

 

"Now that I got the document disproving paternity, we're going to get full custody, right?" 

 

She's looking at him hopefully, not wanting her sacrifice to go in vain. But that's not his only concern. 

 

"What happened next?" 

 

"He came home". She averts her eyes. 

 

He can piece it together and his muscles stiffen. With deliberate movements, he wraps the gauge around her hand and secures it with a clip. He doesn't let it go. 

 

"I hid behind some boxes. I had copied the documents into the thumb drive but I'm sure I'd find more in his computer if I had more time to look. I heard footsteps approaching and the door slid open. I felt him coming towards me and I couldn't breathe. I could see his shadow on the floor. But suddenly his phone rang and he went back to answer it. I waited. When I ventured out, he smashed a porcelain owl on my face." He squeezes her hand. 

 

"He hadn't left". 

 

"No". She touches the redness of her cheek. "He was asking me what I stole from him, as if I wanted his treasures. I was down, but I grabbed the metal rod of the owl and pulled away from him". She shows the scar he just treated. "He kicked me. I managed to run". 

 

Logan grabs the edges of the desk on her sides, while his muscles tense unbearably. She's caged between them and when he opens his eyes she holds his stare. 

 

"I fought back". 

 

"I know", he sights, touching her scraped knee. He pushes off the planes of the dress, revealing the wound. He has the urge to kiss the marked skin and tell her it's going to be alright. To forget what they are to each other and console her with all his heart. Instead, he kneels down and takes care of her leg. 

 

"Is that all?" She retracts her leg suddenly and pulls him up by the shoulder. "I risked my life to get us that evidence. Why are you looking at me like I shouldn't have?" 

 

"Cause you shouldn't!" He screams in exasperation. "You got hurt! It's my job to fight for you, not leave you to do it on your own". 

 

She's taken aback by his display, but comes closer. 

 

"It was my choice to do it". 

 

"I know. But you shouldn't have to. I'm here so that you're not doing this on your own. I know it looks like everyone's against you, the judges, your former friends, your kids. But you're never alone, I'm in your corner." He pushes the hair off her face, tracing the bruised skin with the pad of his thumb. "And I'll fight to set you free. I'll go against everyone to win. So, please" he angles her face up carefully, "be safe". 

 

His last words are spoken in a pleading whisper. 

 

"Do you believe me?" He asks. 

 

"Yes". The corners of turn slightly upward, giving him a melancholic smile.

 

"Then why risk it? I was so worried". 

 

"It's everyone else that I don't trust. The judges, the system that's against us. The decision was unfair and I couldn't do anything about it. So I did the only thing I could for my children. And for me". 

 

"Next time-"

 

"Don't do it, I know-"

 

"Call me". He speaks softly but surely. "Next time you want to do something dangerous, I'll be there". 

 

"To keep me out of trouble?" 

 

"To share the trouble". She would have a reason to be in trouble in any case, he trusts her instincts. "And offer a legal option". 

 

She doesn't answer for a while and he breaks the spell. 

 

"Are you injured anywhere else, let's see". He scans her figure for signs of a fight. He checks her knee, securing the bandage. The joint looks unharmed. When he raises his head to tell her, his lips are captured in a searing kiss. 

 

His eyes shut and he surrenders to the sensation. She's deliberate in her slow moves, relishing the stillness. That makes him acutely aware of every millimeter her lips move upon his, the wet drag marking their passage. 

 

He can feel his blood pumping under his skin and warmth spreading all over. His kiss is tentative at first, but as he falls deeper into her aura, it becomes all consuming. From her position above him, traces the lapels of his suit, finding the lawyer badge, and pulls them to her. He goes blindly, his hands moving from her knees to up her legs, to her waist. He's mesmerized. It's a dream. 

 

He spreads his fingers, touching the edge of her ribcage when she makes a muffled sound into the kiss. 

 

He's yanked back to reality in an instant. She's in pain. She's his client, who needs him and he's-

 

He pulls back and breaks the kiss. In that second, he sees the spectrum of emotions flying through her eyes.

 

"We can't", he says. falls open and she blinks rapidly. "I'm sorry-"

 

She covers with her hand and shakes her head. "No, I'm-"

 

Disentangling her feet from his, she jumps off of the desk, causing books to tumble over. He tries to stop her but she storms out of his office and into the night. 

 

—-

 

Su Ryeon runs. 

 

The beat of her heart echoes like a drum and she finally gets out of the law firm, into the crisp night air. 

 

What was she thinking?

 

She stops to catch her breath and looks to the sky. She wasn't thinking. But she was sure was feeling a lot. She didn't remember deciding to cross the line. It felt natural. A slight turn of her head and they were kissing. 

 

It was like coming home after being soaked in the cold rain. 

 

From the moment she'd met him, barging into his office and urging him to take her case, he's been there. Every day, every work dinner they had, or countless hours in his office. He's been the most reliable person in her life. Never second-guessing her, only working to improve her standing. With a suit in every shade of blue that exists, and occasionally wearing glasses despite being in his thirties, he was noble and straight laced. 

 

She was drawn to him for that. 

 

But today, when he promised he'd always be with her, his loyalty morphed into devotion. 

 

She closed her palms into fists, hissing at the pain. How quickly devotion became rejection. A lump forms in . 

 

"Wait!"

 

She turns around and Logan's running after her, reaching her in seconds. She tries to wipe her tears discreetly and turns back to leave. 

 

"I'm sorry, good night". 

 

He touches her arm, but doesn't apply pressure. 

 

"Please. Don't leave". He speaks close to her but she still looks ahead. "Let me explain". His tone is pleading, but she's hurt. 

 

"I'm not a teenager, Logan! I get it, you don't want to be involved with me. My mistake". 

 

"You're my client! There's a law prohibiting attorney-client affiliations-"

 

"I understand, you don't want to risk your license-"

 

"Is that what you think this is?" He has the audacity to chuckle. 

 

"Isn't it?" His smile drops. 

 

"Yes. But not quite". 

 

She's mortified, she acted without thinking. 

 

"Hear me out, please". She nods and he lifts her coat she forgot in her haste and drapes it over her shoulders. His fingers linger on her a second more. "I've been a lawyer for a decade and I always found that rule intrusive and unfair. Who's to judge what people do with their personal lives? And that's coming from someone that hasn't broken a single law. I've always done what was expected of me and never strayed. Even when I should have". 

 

"And that's why you pulled away from… that". 

 

"No. I just now realised why I need to follow that law." He dons the top button of her coat. "You came into my life and made me question what I'm working for. Who really benefits from the justice I'm aiming to get? My father, his judge friends or the people who need it? People like you. Su Ryeon ssi, I meant what I said there. I will fight for you. Till the end." 

 

He holds her stare, making her heart flutter. 

 

"But to do that I can't be with you." She bites her lower lip, swallowing the pain. "You're in a vulnerable place, you need to be able to trust me with everything. And to be sure that I won't let my feelings affect my defending your case. I want to do right by you, Su Ryeon Ssi. That's why I can't be selfish or give in, even if there's nothing I want more. When the trial's over and you're free, you make your choice". 

 

She swallows, taking it all in. 

 

"I didn't kiss you cause I was vulnerable".

 
I kissed you because every part of me craved it. 

 

"Thank god. Still, it doesn't change the fact that until the trial ends, you have a lot to lose. And I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you because I wasn't focused."

 

"Why?" 

 

He places his hands on the sides of her face, his fingers brushing the soft tendrils of hair. 

 

"Because I want to make you happy."

 

A tear slides down her cheek. He wipes it with his thumb lovingly. 

 

She lets her head fall on his shoulder and exhales as his arms come around her in a hug. She holds him close. It's a sad reality they have to accept. 

 

"Divorce trials can take years", she whispers, muffled by his chest. He squeezes her body in response, as if to say he knows. 

 

They can't be together. 

 

Unable to hold back tears, she steps away, but not before seeing his eyes welling up too.

 

She leaves, watching his disappearing form in her rearview mirror and she lets the tears fall. 

 

—-

 

I can wait, he says but she's already gone. 

 

-----

-----

Do you want another chapter? I left it on a melancholic note. It's the right person wrong time, but this time life's pushing them together and they have to stay away.
Do you think Logan did the right thing in suppressing his affection or should he have riske