(pt3)A Different Side of You- Halloween

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories
A week after the studio scene. 

 

"Last item on the schedule: Sunday we have the Halloween party. You are all attending", Su Ryeon announces to the members of Silverstone and the management team. 

 

"Who's celebrating Halloween in Korea?" Dong Hu, the group's rapper asks. 

 

"Diane. The American business affiliate who is financing your next tour. Any more questions?" Her look implies that questions are far from welcome.

 

"Do we get a plus one?"

 

"If you're referring to your costume, yes".

 

They start to complain.

 

"Are you going to be there?" Logan's voice, which hasn't been heard for the whole meeting, cuts through the noise.

 

"Get ready by eight".

 

----

 

Diane Crawford's villa is overflowing with festive decorations. Logan finds it a bit tacky, too American even for him. But he likes the spooky feeling she went for, every wall is covered with fake cow webs and black tulle hangs from the ceiling, like pieces of darkness. It's not a party they have to perform at, thankfully. But they do have to smooze with rich people and make them interested in their new project. 

 

He takes a blood red drink from the waiter, noticing the crystal skulls adorning the glass. The organisers have minded every last detail. 

 

"So what can we expect from your next work? New musical themes?" Inquires a suit clad man, who he recognises as head of an advertising agency.

 

He takes a sip of his drink, wondering if it makes his teeth red as if he was a vampire on his last meal. Not being able to do anything about it, he engages in explaining the band's new ideas about their next music venture. The man nods encouragingly, clearly not interested in Logan's thoughts about music, but in how he could promote and sell them.

 

To his dismay, more people join the conversation and he finds himself in his zombie warrior costume listening to marketing strategies for the songs he spent sleepless nights writing. It's soul-crushing, his talent and effort to be received so clinically, as if it was something they could quantity and package neatly. Yet, that's exactly what they do.

 

He sneaks a look to find the familiar faces of his band mates and comes empty. He excuses himself from the group discreetly and heads to the bar area, when he spots her.

 

She's wearing green contact lenses, making her eyes look like a serpent's. Under them there are two black hearts painted on her cheeks. Her usually pink lips are now red and artfully smudged. As he approaches her, he takes in her gorgeous black dress which completes the look. It's purposefully torn, reminding him of a witch that just fought evil spirits. A part of the skirt is semi transparent, giving him a peek of the creamy skin of her legs, before they disappear into red strapped heels.

 

He can't look away.

 

She raises her green eyes and finds his. It's electric, like staring at a mythical creature. But no more magnetic than looking at her every day.

 

"You came", he smiles while offering her a black cocktail.

 

"It's a work event." She accepts and takes a sip.

 

"You tell me", he huffs.

 

"Met any interesting connections?"

 

"Interesting? No".

 

She laughs, her spooky make-up making her face-

 

"You look cute". He can't help himself.

 

"Me? I was going for scary". She pouts.

 

"You don't scare me. Not now, anyway", he adds, making her chuckle. 

 

"My daughter helped me with the makeup." She gestures at her face proudly.

 

"Was she angry at you?" He jokes, earning a sharp elbow to his ribs. 

 

"Hey!"

 

She can't hide her smile.

 

They laugh together as they point out other people's costumes. There are more Squid Game contestants than in the series itself, and all kinds of devils and angels, with fluffy wings and revealing dresses. 

 

He feels himself relax for the first time that night.

 

---

 

"How do you do it? All these people. You talk to everyone like you don't find them annoying". They've moved outside, away from the party. He wanted to ask her than for a long time. She's handling everything so elegantly, the people hanging on her every word. Meanwhile, he can't stand these crowds.

 

"It's part of the job. And they're not all annoying".

 

He opens his mouth to disagree.

 

"I used to host a lot of parties". She looks pensively as they walk through the gardens. "I was married". He knew that, but not the details of her past. "He had a high position in real estate and he made me host parties and dinners for the people he wanted to impress. As if I didn't have a job of my own".

 

"He sounds awful". 

 

"He was. But I didn't mind the people or the late nights. What bothered me is that he expected that of me. He never said thank you."

 

"And took credit for your work, I presume". She nods, standing before the bridge of the small japanese style lake. "But you fought and got out. And got your children out too".

 

"Yes. I did. And all these hours taking to strangers come in handy in my job now everyday. So, it wasn't all for nothing".

 

They're in the middle of the bridge, looking at the house in the distance.

 

"You're amazing". She turns to him, her expression unreadable.

 

"You say that to all your managers", she tries to lighten the mood.

 

"I'm serious".

 

He keeps his eyes on hers, begging her to understand.

 

"You took your life in your hands, you've worked your way to the top of the agency, all while remaining a thoughtful, kind person".

 

"How do you know I'm all that?"

 

"I can see it, even when you're yelling at me." He raises a hand and brushes a lock of her hair. She blinks and the corners of form a smile. "That's all I can see". 

 

It's surreal, but despite the proverbial mask of her costume, he can see her better than ever. She's real, the smooth skin under his fingers. All the warmth and love behind the curtains of her eyes. 

 

Burying his hand on her hair, he closes the gap between them, capturing her lips in a kiss. For a second her lips are cold, but as she moves them between his, they come alight. His eyes are closed, making him feel every little movement of , luring him into her. He nibbles at her lips, tasting a sweetness he can't describe. He opens his mouth and feels her tongue sliding to his, deepening the kiss. Colours are exploding in his head.

 

She pushes herself closer to him, making his heart beat faster at her affection. He feels her delicate hands anchoring his chest, his own descending to the small of her back. He caresses her lace covered backside, mapping the way her muscles move as she brings her hands to his neck. 

 

With a final bite at his lower lip, they break the kiss. Unwilling to open his eyes, he rests his forehead on hers, treasuring the moment. He's trying to catch his breath. He feels cold fingers touching his lips and he kisses them.

 

Su Ryeon lets out a breath and he opens his eyes to hers. She's removing her blood red lipstick from his lips. He takes her hand in his and kisses her fingers again. 

 

"This was..." She averts her eyes momentarily. "But we can't".

 

He's too stunned to argue with her. He holds her tighter. 

 

"Logan. I'm sorry." She says as if she didn't gift him the most magical seconds of his life. "I should go."

 

She moves to leave but he holds her hand. There's so much he wants to say. 

 

"I will wait for you". 

 

He kisses her hand and a second later she's disappeared into the thick greenery of the gardens.

 

The warrior stands alone, the loss of his princess tugging at his heartstrings. 

 

He will win her heart, he promises to the darkness surrounding him.

 

___

 

Author's note: Halloween present for you, inspired by queen Jiah herself. Will there be more? Maybe. Athena's Vengeance is next.