Pieces Forgotten

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories


 

It's Sunday morning, the sun casts a warm glow as Su Ryeon and Logan stroll hand in hand through the park. Well, technically, one hand is linked with hers and the other was playing toddler support for Luna, who is happily nestled in his shoulder, feet dangling like she owns the world. Both have taken time off work to focus on their adorable tornado of joy now they're in the U.S. permanently. The park had become their go-to spot for family shenanigans – the massive greenery ideal for lazy walks, picnics, and playdates.

 

"Is she tired?" Su Ryeon asks, remembering Luna's playground exploits that would put Wonder Woman to shame.

 

"No, she just wants the VIP treatment,” Logan glances down at Luna, who keeps her eyes closed on purpose, unaware he can feel her giggles on his chest. She'll perk up the minute he plays with her again. He drops a kiss on her messy hair. 

 

"She loves it when she's in your arms."

 

"Reminds me of someone," he teases, running his thumb across her knuckles. 

 

"Me?" she jokingly asks, eyes gleaming. "When have I ever said that?"

 

He snorts.  “Something about you saying “I could stay in your arms forever", does that ring a bell, my beautiful liar?"

 

She chuckles at the memory.  "I didn't know you were awake!" 

 

It was a confession whispered after Hera Palace collapsed to ashes, on their first night together. She woke up in his arms, warm, protected and relieved she didn't sacrifice herself to the freezing water. She felt such happiness in the little hours of the morning, such a blessing, that she whispered these words to Logan's skin, as his sleeping form laid bare beside her. Turns out Logan is a light sleeper and heard her confession, matching it with his own upon opening his eyes.

 

"Then why repeat it when I woke up?" He asks mischievously.

 

"You have no proof.”

 

“Darling,” he smirks, “I have living proof and she’s drooling all over my shirt.”

 

He pulls her hand and brings her closer to him, leaving a kiss on her nose that has her scrunching her face adorably.

As they continue their stroll among the trees toward the lake, a friendly dog approaches, tongue out and ready for action.

"Doggy!" Luna exclaims and jumps off Logan and runs, wiggling her hands in the air at the sight of the blonde terrier. Since adopting Molly, Luna's love for animals has exploded. She chases her around the house giggling and falling on her face in the process. Molly on the other hand, carries out her playtime duties with a sense of responsibility to the tiny human. 

 

So when Luna sees the terrier chasing the tennis ball she hops down and runs for it. 

 

"Go play with her,” Su Ryeon nudges him. "I'll grab us some coffee." She wanders over to the vending cart and places an order for two lattes. As they're being prepared, she peruses the colorful cookie selection. They have butterscotch ones, caramel and chocolate, lemon cookies and a variety of toppings that make water. Sugar in that time of day for a toddler is a hard no, but she can't help but marvel at the delicious snacks. 

 

"Su Ryeon?" A woman's voice pulls her out of her reverie.  

 

"Is it really you?" the other woman adds.

 

Su Ryeon has no words, staring in wonder. In front of her stands a tall woman in stylish sports attire, peach leggings and matching top and trainers with rose gold details. Her ashy blonde hair is held in a high ponytail -gone are the once vibrant blue highlights-, a few locks escaping and clinging to her sweaty forehead. She hands a massive water bottle to her friend, a petite woman sporting tights and a fainted band t-shirt that showcases her toned forearms. She pulls off her sunglasses, revealing green eyes contrasting with her dark complexion. They have the post-workout glow, rosy cheeks and sparkling eyes wide in amazement. 

 

"Rhea, Yasmine!" She exclaims, and the women nod excitedly. 

 

"Su Ryeon, it's been so long. Twenty five years? I didn't even know you were in the U.S." Rhea speaks animatedly, the same sing-song tone she had as a freshman. "I can’t believe you’re here. Didn't you return to Korea after college?”

 

"Don't overwhelm her” Yasmine admonishes and turns to Su Ryeon. “Hi” she says sweetly. "It's so good to see you. You look... exactly the same but happier."

 

"I can't..."

 

She's transported to the past, over two decades ago in a field like this on the Columbia University campus. Their second year of college had brought them together despite having different majors– Su Ryeon studying art, Rhea pursuing law, and Yasmine diving into biochemistry. Clicking at once, they proceeded to spend all their available time together, studying in the central library, sharing coffee and cream-filled pastries before class and turning their dorm a shining refuge from their demanding course load. They drank,  shared dreams and goals, and crammed for the exams together. Yasmine was the tough realist with a warm heart to compliment her scientific brain. Rhea always fought for justice on all fronts, from equal material on female writers in the syllabus, to economic assistance for the students of low income families. 

 

Now they stand before her, reminding her of a time when she was dedicated to changing the world. 

 

"I can't believe it. It's so great to see you both. How have you been? I almost didn't recognize you," she says breathlessly, a knot forming in . 

 

Rhea clutches her hand. 

 

"Is it the shiny layer of sweat?" They laugh. "We live around and meet up every Sunday here for our kickboxing class," she gestures to their attire. "My sister's teaching it."

 

Her younger sister, Lana, who was on an athletic scholarship at Columbia went on to compete in the 2004 Olympics and retired to coaching. 

 

The three girls were inseparable, being there for each other when they failed classes or they were passed over for opportunities in favor of someone with better family connections. They drank together when Jas lost her internship for reporting her boss for harassment, when Rhea went on another miserable date or Su Ryeon missed home. 

 

It’s like her two words colliding, her forgotten past and the present she has strived to build for herself.

 

Asking about their lives now, Rhea is quick to bridge the gap of the last twenty-five years. 

 

"I passed the bar and became a lawyer. I'm a partner in a law firm and working pro bono for the ASLU."

 

"You've always been passionate about helping the underprivileged, Rhea. I'm glad you didn't let your parents steer you to criminal defense."

 

"Representing criminals? I would never. Plus, I met my wife there." She shows her a diamond cut sapphire on her ring finger.

 

"Congratulations!"

 

 Rhea blushes and shows her a photo on her phone. The couple is on a swing, sipping lattes surrounded by stacks of paper and folders. “Twelve years this fall.”

 

"And you, Yas? Which science finally won you over?"

 

"Neuroscience and pharmacology. We're researching brain cancer treatments in Mount Sinai."

 

Rhea snorts. "She's being modest, how boring. This lady is leading the most advanced lab in cancer research in the world and is now developing a cutting-edge drug against brain cancer. And she leads the Women in STEM forum."

 

"Impressive. You both have achieved your dreams. It's like no time has passed." 

 

"Tell that to your pretty face, Su Ryeon." Yas says with a fond smile. 

 

"But seriously, it's true. Running into you is the best. I couldn't have asked to pass my university years with someone else."

 

"Su Ryeon" she touches her hand. "We've always wondered what you were doing all these years. You left so suddenly; we couldn't even say goodbye. Where have you been all this time?"

 

She gears up for the tale. It’s not easily shared, but now it tumbles out her lips. 

 

"My mom was terminally ill. I didn't know until then. My father got me a ticket and I left for Seoul the same day. I thought I'd come back when she recovered, but she died a couple days after. I stayed for the ceremony and then I couldn't leave my father alone. He needed me; he didn't have anyone else." Her being an only child had contributed to carrying the burden of grief for the whole family. Still, it was her choice and she didn't blame her father for a second. They held each other close through these hard days. She searches the eyes of her friends. "I never wanted to leave you. You were my home away from home, my family. I'm sorry for disappearing overnight."

 

Yas holds her hand. 

 

"You don't have to apologize. We weren't angry; we were worried.” She didn’t leave a phone number or an address before she left for the other side of the world. “You never talked about your family, we assumed they weren't in the picture."

 

"They were. And after my mother died, my father was so devastated, he fell ill. His last wish for me was to settle down. A few months later, I was married to a former classmate and friend of the family. We only spent a year together, but we were content. I didn't know that was my only time of grace, before the nightmare started.” At the women’s puzzled gazes, she bushes it off. “Story for next time.”

 

“We’ll hold you up on that.” 

 

They continue catching up when Yas, always the observer, chimes in.

 

"Su Ryeon… don't look now, but there's a hot young dad checking you out."

 

Rhea turns slightly. "Damn, she's right. Look how he's holding the child and playing. Girl, he's eating you up with his eyes." she addresses to her with less discretion than she hoped to. 

 

Su Ryeon looks up. 

 

Rhea nudges her. ". He's coming."

 

Su Ryeon can see what the other women do, of course. Logan, in his thermal shirt, tightening around his torso, lifting Luna up in the air while his biceps flex. He's wearing a  smile, he's the one enjoying playtime more than the tutu-wearing toddler. 

 

She's seeing him through the eyes of her friends, a very attractive man holding his daughter protectively. He's looking at her as he approaches and her heart swells. 

 

He gathers Luna on his shoulder, clinging like a monkey, and comes to her. He kisses her cheek and puts Luna down. Watching the perplexed faces of the two women, he greets them. 

 

"This is my husband, Logan. These are my college friends, Rhea and Yasmin."

 

"Very nice to meet you. You're the first friends she's introduced me to." They shake hands. 

 

"Nice to meet you too. And now that we've met, I have to confess I called you hot young dad two minutes ago. I'm married, so it was purely observational." Rhea blurts. 

 

"I appreciate your directness." Logan replies, a slight blush forming.

 

He shakes Yasmin's hand, who has a firm grip-like handshake, as she was proud of it in college. 

 

"A pleasure to meet you. I also added to the hot dad thing and I am happy to be correct, respectfully."

 

Logan is close to blushing at the women's straightforwardness and humor. 

 

"This little menace is Luna," as he says as the toddler hides behind his legs. 

 

"Oh I don't see anyone! Where did she go?" Rhea plays along and Luna's giggling is heard from her hiding spot. Slowly she appears, walking shyly in front. They crouch down to greet her. 

 

Luna looks up at her mom, who picks her up, pulling her to everyone's eye level. She takes a lock of her hair to play and Logan tickles her to release it, eliciting another baby giggle.

 

"You have that glow about you. Is it your first?"

 

Logan and Su Ryeon exchange a knowing look.

 

"Fourth, actually", he responds. "We have three more in college." It doesn't cease to amaze her that he considers her kids his, without a second thought, without clarification. They're a family. 

 

"Good for you."

 

"Wow," Rhea adds. “I know who to call for babysitting from now on.”

 

"But seriously, I knew you'd be a good mother, from all the times you cooked us that amazing ramen soup after a night of drinking and how you held my hair while I was violently expelling my insides." 

 

Laughter erupts and Logan’s eyes perk up. “Drinking adventures? Tell me more.”

 

 

They reminisce about times where they weren't all suitable adults, but friends nonetheless. Logan is following the conversation with his eyes, absorbing every piece of information about her old life, like he stumbled into some rare puzzle pieces that make Su Ryeon the woman he loves. 

 

Her friends reflect the person he chose to marry - intelligent, direct women with humor and class. He can see why a young, starry-eyed Su Ryeon would gravitate towards them. 

 

"She's cute. She has your colors" gesturing to Logan "and your nose" pointing at Su Ryeon. 

 

"She got her painting talent from her too.” Logan says, resting his hand on Su Ryeon's waist, bringing her closer. 

 

"Do you still paint?” Rhea turns to Logan. “She used to get holed up in her studio for hours, painting assignments for art class. Sometimes we would sneak up on her and tempt her away with wine. Once, we had a class so boring, and believe me when I say boring, I've taken Agricultural Law- I caught her doodling flowers all over my law textbook. Maybe I’ll sell it now.”

 

“I paint for fun, but I have an art studio where we’re showcasing works of Asian American women. There's an exhibition on Love and Machines this Friday. You should come. I’d love to have you there.” He detects honesty in her impromptu invitation. 

 

“We will be there and we will have opinions. Don’t think now that you made it you can put some red paint in front of us and we’ll be fooled.”

 

“You’re never going to forgive me for that modern art exhibition-”

 

“-the hell not!”

 

“It was a banana, Su Ryeon. A banana! I’m surprised someone didn’t pick it up and throw it in the trash.”

 

“-where it belonged.” They fend off each other. 

 

“In any case, let’s exchange numbers and I'll send you invitations.”

 

“I want the special tour.” She lowers her glasses referring to when Su Ryeon would sneak them into galleries and get them free drinks and canapes. 

 

He thinks about suggesting they get a babysitter and invite the women and significant others for dinner. Though he’d love to get to know them more, and he’ll latch on to whatever titbit of Su Ryeon’s past they’ll offer, she needs time with her roots. 

 

“I’ll stay with Luna and you can go catch up for drinks.”

 

 

He is rinsing the dishes while she arranges them on the rack. Gazing at the distance, she  misses the proffered bowl from Logan. It slips from his hands and cracks into pieces. 

 

They startle, recoiling as the dish fractures into fragments before them. Logan turns off the tap, peels off his gloves and puts a hand on her shoulder. 

 

“What’s on your mind, love?”

 

She takes a deep breath, her gaze fixed on the fragments of glass. "It's just... seeing Rhea and Yasmin today brought back memories. I've been living a different life, a life I thought I had to live. But today, being with them, it felt like I found a piece of myself that I had forgotten."

Logan’s hand travels to hers and squeezes gently. "You're still the same woman they knew. Sweet, incredible… Sometimes life takes us on detours, but it's never too late to rediscover who you truly are."

Su Ryeon sighs, her eyes glistening. "I spent so many years trying to be the perfect wife, repressing my true self. I lost the bravery of my past self."

He pulls her closer, feeling her breath on his chest, the lines he follows at night molding into his body. “You needed to do that to survive. You went along with life in the penthouse because it was the safest option to give your kids a good life. When it wasn’t, you broke free. That’s bravery.”

She presses a kiss over his chest.

"I've missed so much time, Logan. I wish I hadn't let fear and expectations dictate my choices."

 

He cups her face tenderly. He wishes she could understand how he sees her. "We have the rest of our lives to be fearless. Together.”

 

Something passes from her eyes. For all the battles she’s fought, she remains soft. But in all battles moving forward, he has her back. She sees a spark of this, she must be. 

 

Tears welling in her eyes, she hugs Logan tightly. "Thank you, for reminding me of that. I love you."

 

Logan holds her just as tightly, whispering, "I love you too. And I love every version of you, past, present, and future."

 

“Even the one that stabbed you with a pen?”

 

“Especially that one.”

 

Her answering smile is a thing of wonder. 

 

“Do you think Luna is sleeping?”
 

He turns on the baby monitor to the baby’s room, hearing nothing but soft snores. 

 

“Sound asl-”

 

Su Ryeon jumps into his arms and kisses him senseless. That piece of her is not forgotten at all.