(pt2)A Different Side of You- Prequel

Logan and Su Ryeon Stories
A few days earlier.

 

 

Su Ryeon presides over a meeting with her company's executives, when the doors of her office burst open and a familiar man strides to her desk.

 

"I can't believe you did this! You're my management, not my guard!". Logan, the idol whose voice earned him a spot in her company, gestures to the article on his tablet. Her co-workers look at her worriedly but she raises her hand to stop them. "You told the magazine I'm not looking for a relationship! And they put it on the cover! It was one date, Ms CEO, one date I went to, and you had to punish me". His neon coloured jacket sways with his sudden movements.

 

"Logan." She expected this reaction. "You know the deal. You can't date yet". He opens his mouth to retort but she continues. "And I made this statement so that they'll stop linking you with every female celebrity that happens to be near you. You know the optics of it. You and the guys are starting the tour next month, nothing can take the focus off this. No personal news, no scandals, just your music".

 

"That doesn't explain why you intentionally made me look like a loser! The press thinks I'm eating alone every day. I'm not a monk and neither is any one of us, I want the freedom to have a personal life".

 

"Not one that the media will turn against you. You're in this business for ten years, how do you think you outstayed every other idol?" He made his debut in a teen band, but quickly outshined them all with his musical talent. A decade later, he's still popular. "By having a clean image. Everything about you is about your music. And people respect you for it. You have fans of all ages. That never happens to idols."

 

He looks down but his lips are a thin line. He holds the tablet tightly, his fingers white from the force.

 

Her explanation is logical, but it's not easy to accept.  

 

"Do you think you'd still be loved by the fans if they'd see you with a different woman every week? It's harsh, but it's the rules of the reality you chose".

 

That makes him scoff.

 

"I signed that contract when I was eighteen! I didn't know I was giving the rights to my personal life away!". 

 

"But you also signed with my company two years ago. You weren't a kid then. You knew what you were agreeing to."

 

He takes off his blue tinted sunglasses of and fumbles with them.

 

"Still. I didn't even like her. That girl. I just wanted to go out with someone. We've been inside practicing for two months now. And then we're going on tour. I needed to see another face. To have the option of a date!". He gestures vaguely in a desperate attempt to persuade her.

 

"I understand. It doesn't change the company's stance though. The rules apply to everyone, not just you. As long as you're an idol, you can't date whoever you want. It's for your own good. My job is to maintain your image, to make it as shiny as possible. So that every opportunity will come to you."

 

This is all she wanted. The talent of everyone she represented to be rewarded. Give every young hopeful person a chance for a decent life. A chance her daughter never had.

 

She softens her tone. He's still fidgeting angrily.

 

"I work for you as well as you for me. We've made it this far, trust me".

 

He searches her eyes, sagging his shoulders. The lines om his eyes soften and reveal a hint of dark circles. He must have stayed all night practising.

 

"Is this the only way?"

 

"I don't see any other. I'm sorry".

 

He goes from one foot to another, weighing his options. There must be something he could do. Any extenuating circumstances to give him some freedom.

 

He takes a heavy step, the thump forcing her to look at him.

 

"What if I fall in love?" She opens surprised, but he goes on. "What if I want to get married, will my personal life be off limits to the company then?"

 

She clasps her hands. After seeing celebrity relationships go up in flames every day, his question is pointless. There's no such thing. Her own messy divorce doesn't help her cold attitude towards love either. If Logan wants out so much, it's not her who would oppose.

 

"If you fall in love, you can pursue the relationship. If you find someone you see a future with, yes. But Logan," she makes her stipulation, "only if she falls for you too". 

 

They lock eyes and let the games begin.

 

---

 

He won't be falling for anyone, that's for sure. But, Logan thinks, in order to gain his freedom he'll make someone fall for him. The same person who can give him his freedom. 

 

Shim Su Ryeon.

 

 

 

---/---

 

 

 

Su Ryeon organises neatly the items on her desk. Folders in pastel colours, papers with her trusted sticky notes all over the important information and the calendar, marking today's itinerary. A circled item looms suspiciously on her and she averts her eyes. It's futile, of course, since she has memorized the cause of her stress.

 

18:00 Silverstone group's Photoshoot

 

Logan's group is posing for the music edition of Vogue, to promote their upcoming tour and showcases a different, more mature side of the band. Su Ryeon has traded every favour she was owed to get them this opportunity. The result had to be spectacular. She managed to book the most sought after music photographer, Ha Na Tee or by her artistic name, Natti, to capture them in film. Meaning she had total artistic freedom and she could either elevate the band to classic status or bring them down with a click of her camera. 

 

No pressure at all.

 

She returns to her spreadsheets as a knock sounds on her door.

 

"Ms CEO, they are ready for you". 

 

She thanks her assistant, fixes the waist of her sleek maroon dress and stands tall. 

 

Let's do it.

 

__

 

 

The studio is packed, the buzzing of people working is music to Su Ryeon's ears. The band and the photographer are here, but also assistants, makeup artists, clothing stylists, lighting crew, production assistants, managers and more are watching as the photoshoot heads to a small break. 

 

"Five minutes and then we're shooting individual shots for each member. Min Seok, you're first up". Natti coordinates the process expertly, with the confidence of someone whose vision will become reality, even if everyone has to work through the night. She pushes her slim tinted glasses up her nose and joins Su Ryeon to the chairs behind the monitor. 

 

"They're giving me soft boy vibes in the group photoshoot. Look," she points to a group picture, where the five members of Silverstone pose as if they're playing with each other. "They have chemistry all together, c'est marveulleux pour l'esprit d' equipe". Natti, in all her glorious eccentricity, doesn't let anyone forget she established herself as an artist in Paris. Su Ryeon studies the picture and agrees with her.

 

"What about the one-on-one's?" Oh Yoon Yee, Su Ryeon's colleague-turned-friend asks.

 

"Each member will have a special concept, matching to a song of the album. D'accord?"

 

"Bien sûre", Su Ryeon answers, earning wide eyes from both of the women. Her work has taken her places as well. 

 

"Chin down! Look alive. Don't rest your head!" Natti is barking instructions as she photographs each member. 

 

"Pretend you're running away. Come on! It's an editorial, give me some heart!" 

 

Su Ryeon and Yoon Hee watch anxiously as the fourth photoshoot wraps up. Only one to go, and Natti is not mincing her words.

 

"Logan, you're up last. Where is he?" The man, now clad in form fitting pants and a blue shirt emerges from the dressing room. 

 

"Your theme is impossible love. You'll pose alone and with Soo Na, our female model." The girl greets everyone and approaches Logan in the shooting stage.

 

As soon as the first click sounds, Su Ryeon can tell this was heading for a disaster. Logan may be dressed cooly, but he seems uncomfortable and stiff. His black and silver accessories give him a dark, handsome look, but what the camera captures is the scared eyes of a boy.

 

"Look at her! Not like this. Longingly!" Natti is losing her patience. Click. Click.

 

"Have you never seen a woman before? Look at her. Take her hand", "not like you're in first grade, mon dieu!"

 

Natti lowers her camera and brings a palm to her forehead. Signs of perspiration highlight her hard work. She turns to Su Ryeon.

 

"I can't do this. He's not giving me anything."

 

"No, he'll get it", she placates Natti. He has to get it, Su Ryeon thinks. Or else, they're losing the magazine cover and their biggest chance for promotion yet.

 

She risked a lot for this. She's taking matters into her own hands.

 

She walks up to the white set where Logan's standing, the model taking two steps back when she sees her.

 

"Why are you blocked up? You have the emotional expression of a brick." He squeezes his eyes and huff. "Not my words. Give it a little passion, we're shooting for a cover!".

 

He shakes his head.

 

"Oh! Now the lady wants me to do passion. Weren't you the one yelling at me for going out with a woman?" 

 

"That's different! Now it's for show. Act like you like her, take the pictures, we all go home".

 

"I'm trying! But I can't act like I want her. I'm a singer, not an actor".

 

She puts her hand on the lapel of his shirt and pulls him forcibly. He looks down, his face inches from hers.

 

"Right now, you're what I tell you to be".

 

He bites his lower lip and-

 

Click.

 

They turned their heads to the source of the sound and see Natti capturing their heated exchange. They move to separate but Natti stops them.

 

"No. Stay there. That's it!" It's the first time Su Ryeon has seen her so excited. There's a glim in her eyes, marking what she says next. 

 

"You're doing the photoshoot together".

 

"What?"

 

They exchange a look and the stylist starts to protest. Natti waves them off and orders the pair to face each other.

 

"Logan, move closer to her and look at her lips. Su Ryeon, be natural. We don't know how much of you we'll show. Let's focus on Logan's expressions."

 

"Do we have to do this? Shouldn't we bring another professional model?"

 

"No. You're with him. Take your positions."

 

Logan faces her, his large frame looming over her. But he doesn't overpower her in the shot, more like being a constant presence beside her. 

 

"You're going to act like a couple in love and agony." Natti walks them through the poses and they focus on her, rather on the upcoming reality that they'll have to be closer than ever. "Take her hand, as if you're leading her out of the forest. Then we'll do Logan behind her and finally the red lips thing".

 

Before she has a chance to wonder what she's refering to, Logan moves to take her hand, but when there's only an inch separating their fingers, he pauses.

 

"May I?" He asks with an honest expression.

 

She swallows. "Yes".

 

His palm envelops her smaller one in a warm caress. Instead of facing away form her to strike the pose, he pulls their joined hand towards him, making her follow this body's movement. 

 

Then, it's a pose where she has to pull him from the collar towards her. They try it many times, but the landing looks awkward. Logan laughs at her inability to control his massive body and she casts him a deadly glare.

 

"Let me try something", she says.

 

Logan looks at her with a spark in his eyes. A spark of excitement and a little fear. Her hands move from his crisp collar to undo the first button of his shirt. Logan's eyes widen but make no move to stop her. She does the same with the next button and the next. Now she's acutely aware he's not wearing anything under it. As she uncovers the skin below his abs, she stops. He looks up at him hesitantly and he gives her a bemused nod. 

 

"Why stop now?"

 

She bites a laugh and reveals his sculpted chest. All those endless hours of dance practice have left their mark on his body. 

 

"Ready".

 

She pulls the corners of his shirt, bringing his torso to hers with a precision that makes her wonder if she used to do it in a previous life. Logan, who's put all his weight and trust in her hands, lands centimetres close to her. From where he's standing now, he grazes her forehead with a piece of his black blue hair that's gotten long in a y rugged way. Only then she realises his hand have found purchase on her waist, tantalising the edges of her dress. 

 

Click. Click.

 

"Su Ryeon Sshi", he lets out. "You seem to be a natural". Through her painted eyelashes, she can see his inviting smile.

 

Click.

 

As they find a rhythm with each other, everything else fades away. The people in the studio, the stage directions, everything is coming from a corner far away of their consciousness. As if they're the only two people there, morphing their bodies into vessels of forbidden love. 

 

They take turns leading and Logan goes with her easily, his movements plastic. His ease, that he certainly didn't have before she came, shows that he's grateful she's here with him. She's done a few photoshoots for business editorials, but all of them without a partner. It's a surreal experience to synchronize her body with another, like an artist blending two colours together to achieve a striking combination.

 

She's instructed to take off her high heels for the next photos. It's supposed to be a back hug, but Logan interprets it differently.

 

She looks down at her bare feet and Logan stands behind her. With his broad shoulders and extra hight, he towers above her. But the effect is reversed when he brings his arms around her, molding his body to hers. Both are looking at the camera and Su Ryeon feels his solid chest supporting her back. His palms rest on top of hers, inviting her to spread her neck and put it on his shoulder. 

 

She does.

 

His thumb caress her christ, a touch so light she would have missed it, if every nerve of her body wasn't attuned to his, fully aware of every little point of contact.

 

She feels his lips dangerously close to her ear. His hot breath sending tingles across her spine. 

 

"That's the longest we've gone through within you yelling at me", he notes, making it sound like a complaint. Is he really sad she's not arguing with him?

 

"Why would I? This is work. And you're doing a surprisingly good job. For someone who complains about these things".

 

"What things?"

 

"You. Me. How I'm presenting you to the public. You seem to have no objections being photographed with me".

 

"Was I complaining? How do you you know I meant that?", he asks casually.

 

He tightens his arms around her waist, molding her body to his. He brings his mouth close to her ear while his fingers tremble above her taut stomach. 

 

"Maybe having you like this", he tightens his arms around her, "was the idea all along". 

 

He grins mysteriously. What's he playing at, she doesn't know. But she can't deny the warmth in her stomach as soon as he uttered the words.

 

"Put red lipstick on her and bring a chair", Natti's orders interrupt their heated moment.

 

Logan steps off her to let the people do their work, making her instantly missing his body heat. 

 

"Last batch, don't mess it up. Now give me desperation. You're clinging on her, pleading for a kiss".

 

He approaches until their chests are almost touching. He doesn't close the distance. Her eyes follow his every move. In a tender gesture, he puts his hand on her cheek, pushing the hair out of her eyes and resting on the sensitive area behind her ear, where her neck ends. His touch is hot, the silver ring on his finger cold against her skin. He angles her jaw, as if he's hoping for a kiss.

 

Her newly painted lips part.

 

"How is that for pleading?", He asks her quietly, his eyes focused on her lips. "Are you tempted?"

 

She the inside of her lips.

 

"Are you?" 

 

He swallows.

 

Click, click, click.

 

"We got it. It's a wrap", Natti announces. Neither moves. They look at each other, some unspoken thing hanging in the air between them. 

 

Su Ryeon pushes his chest gently and walks away, leaving behind her shoes and a bewildered man.

 

Hours later, when she's in a violet nightgown under the soft covers of her bed, a message sound beeps from her cellphone. 

 

She opens it, having a feeling of who's the sender.

 

What if I am?

 

She stares at the screen. Another beep.

 

Tempted.

 

 

------

 

 

Author's note: Alright alright alright. He's supposed to be seducing her but who's falling for whom? 
Want more?

 

Other notes: I'm doing less one shots at the moment, I wanna focus on Athena's vengeance, cause these mature chapters ain't writing themselves. Yes, ratings will change. Hide your children.
 
Natti is inspired by legendary reggeatton singer and entrepreneur Natti Natasha. The photoshoot scene is totally how I imagine the wedding photoshoot for logryeon went. If I had my hands on that video... 
 
Anyway, comment and leave me hearts, they're my breakfast.