Before It’s Too Late

Let’s Meet Halfway

"Ms. Minsi!"

Kwang Kyu comes out from his work area to get some tools.

"Hello, Kwang Kyu-ssi!" She greets back.

"Woah, our favorite client is here!" Hye Gun follows. 

"Wow, are those donuts for us?" Kyungsoo also appears in the lobby.

"Yah, why are you all here, I thought you're busy?" Soochan exclaims.

"We want to see Ms. Minsi and we're already hungry." Kwang Kyu answers.

"What kind of stomach you have, you just finished my gimbap?" Soochan grumbles.

"It's ok Oppa! I really brought the snacks for all of you!" Minsi smiles shyly.

"Minsi, I didn't expect to see you here and I didn't know that Do Hyun-ssi works here. What a coincidence, isn't?" Eunbi says while faking a smile. She doesn't like it that the attention is diverted now to Minsi. Why did she has to appear everytime she could have a chance to be with Do Hyun.

Minsi gives her an awkward smile.

"Hyung, Minsi and I need to go somewhere. We'll have to leave first." Do Hyun announces.

Do Hyun can sense the tension and he feels bad for Minsi.  He also doesn't want her to get the impression that he entertains Eunbi's attempts to get near him.  He is not dense, he feels that Eunbi reason's to be in the the shop is not just mere coincidence.

"I'm kind of jealous, you always go on dates." Hye Gun retorts.

"It's Unnie's wedding dress rehearsal tonight and she's expecting us to be there." Minsi explains.

"Ms. Minsi, you don't need to remind him of that, you know how broken-hearted he is, now that his crush is getting married!" Kyungsoo blurts aiming to annoy Hye Gun.

"Yah!" Hye Gun's protests while he lightly slaps Kyungsoo arms.

"Don't worry, Hye Gun-ah! You'll meet the one for you when the time is right." Soochan says

"Oppa is right Hye Gun-ssi!" Minsi agrees.

"Why all of you suddenly show interest about my lovelife? You two, just go already!"

"Hahahaha!"

"Minsi-Ah, shall we go!" 

Minsi nods. "Eunbi-ssi, we'll go ahead! Don't worry I can assure you that they provide the best services here." 

"Hyung!" Do Hyun lightly taps Soochan, he didn't bother to look at Eunbi and her friends.

"Miss, Let's go back to our discussion, as I said I will personally assist on your concerns." Soochan continues. 

Eunbi lost interest to listen to whatever Soochan has to say. For the fact, she is only there to see Do Hyun, everything and everyone in this this shop annoys her. But she must keep her cool, she needs to create a good impression.

"Mina-Ah, I'll wait for you outside, it seems he has a lot of things to discuss about your car! I just need to make a call to one of my clients." She says trying to hide her irritations. She politely bows her head and bid his goodbye to Soochan.

"Yah, are you going to leave me here?" Her friends protests.

Being a car enthusiast, Soochan keeps on explaining to his client about how he will repaint the car, including what kind of paints and chemical he is going to use. He is always like that to the point that it could drives the person he is talking to annoyance because he always uses jargons when he discusses things, like he always wants to prove that he is an engineer. But this time the situation is different, he is just sort of teaching her a lesson, he thinks that this type of people have no right to belittle and questions the skills of his employees.

***

"Why did you leave me there with that geek? If you have plans of getting close to that Do Hyun guy, you better think of other ways, don't ever think of bringing me again in that place, the smell of the grease and their sweats stink." Mina complains.

"Shut-up!"

"Seriously, what did you see on that guy? I mean he is handsome and hot but he works there, just a mechanic, he's not even the owner. I'm pretty sure that there are more another guys out there who is worthy of your attention. You know what, I'm now convince that you are just doing it to annoy Minsi." Her voice is full of sarcasm.

"I told you to shut up. He is mine and I'm going to make that happen."

"How? As far as I can see he really likes Minsi and even his friends seems to be fond of her!"

"Are you siding her now! If so get out of my car!"

"What, you're joking right?" Mina rolls her eyes.

"I said get out!" Eunbi yells.

"Ok, Ok!" I'll keep my mouth shut from now on!"

***

"You'd been quiet since we arrived at the venue! Can you tell me what's bothering you?" Do Hyun asks.

It's unusual to see her like this. She is someone who is always full of life and energy. She likes to talk about a lot of things and discuss what she did on the day or so. Not a single moment is dull with her. But now, her silence speaks and means a lot of things and he wants her to realize that he is there for her whenever, anytime she needs him.

"If you think, that she can use me to hurt you, then you should cease all that negative thoughts you have!"

Minsi moves her face to look at her. He notices that her eyes look tired and sad. 

"I don't understand her but I don't want to be unfair to her. Her behavior confuses me."

Minsi knows that she has no right to be prejudice. She doesn't know what are Eunbi's real intentions but her intuition tells her that something is not right. She wants to convince herself that she might have reasons why she is acting that way, that she is not different from hers. Her fear of getting hurt and trusting other which resulted from the betrayal she experienced from her mother's side of the family, Chul Min and now Eunbi. Honestly, she is afraid of what future beholds for her, but at the same time she wants to live in present thinking it's the only way she will achieve happiness.

"I know how feel, but you have me. Don't ever think that your alone." He holds and gently rubs her hand.

"Thank you! I'm must be overthinking, you know Omma and Chul Min, they all lied to me."

Do Hyun gulps, what she said hits him, although it is not his intention to lie about his status, hiding the truth to her still equates to lying.

***

Do Hyun calls Jin-ah, he misses his son, particularly during times like this. He is his source of strength and hope. Everytime he talks to his son, he feels renew and a better person. He thinks maybe it's because of his innocence and at that very moment, it's what he needs. His son's cheery voice somehow gives him comfort.

"Hello Oppa!"

"Jin-ah, can I talk to Myungsoo?"

"Yah, you know it's late and he is already sleeping. Besides Omma told me that you already talked to him this afternoon."

"I'm sorry, I just misses him!" He sighs.

Jin-ah, can sense that something is disturbing him. Just by listening to his voice, she can tell that he is not ok. 

"Oppa, what is it that you aren't telling us? I know you're not ok!"

"It's nothing! You should go to sleep! I'll call again tomorrow morning!"

"Oppa, did something happened to you and Minsi Unnie?"

"No, nothing! It's just I can't stop thinking what you said and I feel guilty for not telling her about Myungsoo."

He knows that his sister will not stop with her interrogation. His family they know him so well, he cannot keep secret from them. It's not that they intrudes his privacy, in fact they are very respectful. He's aware they just want to show their concerns.

"You know it's not too late. But are you ready to face its consequences? I mean she could feel betrayed, she trusted you!"

"That's why I'm scared, I'm afraid that if I tell her I will lose her!"

Jin-ah can hear that his voice is trembling. It's the second time she witnesses his brother's vulnerability. It's confirmed that Do Hyun is in love, but why he always suffers. Why his life is so complicated?

"Oppa, just tell her the truth, it's the only thing that will set you free! Then if she gets mad, don't think of giving up. Prove her that you worthy of her love and a second chance!"

"I don't how to start! I wish it's that easy!"

"Yeah, it's hard, but we are here for you, don't forget that you have a family that will support you!"

"I know, thank you!"

"Try to have a good sleep, Oppa. It will help you think better and don't hesitate to call me if need someone to talk to."

"Arasso!"

He hangs up the phone and lays in his bed. He shuts his eyes despite that he know that his worries will hinder him to have a peaceful sleep.

***

The boys gather around the lunch table, their morning was a bit exhausting as the shop accepts more than an average of work orders from various clients. It's good for the business and everyone is doing their best to meet or rather exceed the expectations of each customers.

"Boss, what happened to that arrogant customer?" Hye Gun asks.

"I teached her lesson, I don't mind if they won't come back to hire our service. We don't need customers like them."

Soochan exclaims before he continues munching on his food.

"Do Hyun-ssi, Ms. Minsi knows one of them right?" Kwang Kyu asks.

"Yeah, but they weren't really close." His timid answer.

"Well, I understand. Something is off with that girl. I can't explain but I'm kinda good reading people and I can sense that the girl is interested on you Do Hyun-ssi!"

"Mwo!" The boys react in unison except Do Hyun.

"I feel that way too, but I guess it's more like she wants to use me to hurt Minsi. Remember when she was drank, she told us that there's an officemate who is rude to her, it's her actually."

"What and how about Minsi-ssi, what's her take about it?" Kyungsoo inquires.

"She's sad of course and a bit confuse. How I wish I could assure her that Eunbi will not do anything to hurt her."

"Just do what you have to do, Do Hyun-ah! We will protect her as well. She's like a sister to us!"  Hye Gun says.

Soochan looks at Do Hyun. The older guy knows that his friend's worries is more than that girl. He knows the secret that he is keeping to himself.

Their goal is eat lunch in peace, when someone suddenly barges in the shop.

"Kyungsoo Oppa!" The lady says.

Well, the lady is no other than Bora, Kyungsoo's girlfriend. 

"Yah, baby, what brings you here?" He stood up from where he is sitting and approaches her.

"Oppa, I'll bring your lunch!"

"But, we are having lunch already!"

"I don't mind, I just want to give it to you!" The girl says in her cute childish voice.

"Wow, my baby is so sweet!" Kyungsoo pinches her cheeks.

Kwang Kyu and Hye Gun, choke seeing their public display of affection. 

"Water please!"

"Ahem...Ahem..."

The boys could only watch the lovebirds.

"3/5, are taken. Lord, when are we going to meet ours?" Kwang Kyu hugs Hye Gun, which earn laughters from the boys.

***

"Hello Appa!" Myungsoo says from the other line. "Imo told me that you called last night but I was already asleep, Mianhe Appa!" He continues.

Do Hyun smiles, he can already imagine his son's cute little pout.

"It's ok baby! I called because Appa misses you! But I'm fine now, that I hear your voice."

"I miss you to Appa! When are you coming home? I want to play with you!"

"Soon Myungsoo-ah, you know that Appa needs to work so I can buy the toy I promised to give you."

"But I don't need many toys, I just want to play with you!"

"Me too, I can't wait to spend more time with you!"

Do Hyun, can feel that his heart is being prick by  hundred needles. He wants to be with son and show him that he is proud to have him. But that is far cry from his reality, he is hiding his son from the world because at that moment he knows that it's the best thing to do. To protect him from the cruel world and people's harsh judgment.

Using the back of his hand, he wipes the tears on his cheeks.

"I miss you Myungsoo-ah! Always remember that Appa loves you!"

"I love you too Appa! You're the best Appa in the whole world. You're the greatest more than the T-Rex."

"Yah, do I look like a dinosaur to you?" Do Hyun could only laugh at his sons retort.

"Aniyo, you are handsome Appa!"

"Really? So will you stop comparing me to dinosaurs then?"

"Ok, but you should come home more often!" Myungsoo bargains.

"I will try my best! I'll see you soon Myungsoo-Ah!"

"Bye, Appa!"

Do Hyun hangs the phone when Soochan approaches him.

"Is that Myungsoo, how is he?"

"He's fine and more talkative now!" He chuckles.

"Does she already knows about him."

Do Hyun shakes his head.

"So, when are you going to tell her?"

Do Hyun, takes a deep breath

"I'm afraid that if she know the truth, I will lose her!"

"But don't you think you are being unfair to both of them. Tell her before it's too late."

Really what is he waiting for? There are many signs that keeps on appearing that he should tells Minsi about his son. Is he really that coward?