Chapter 9

The Soldier and His Protector

Keonhee pinned Seoho against the wall, growling as he did so. "You're hopeless you know that?" He snarled out. "This is our chance," he said. "I didn't want this, but it seems you do, so be it," he said, moving away.

"Do you know what they'll do to you once they find out?!" Asked Seoho as he slid down to the floor. "I will not be a part of this mess alright?!" He said, looking at where Keonhee had tied up Dami. "Leave then," said Keonhee. "Leave and face the consequences of your actions," he said, walking over to the phone on the table to make a phone call.

Seoho got to his feet, grunting as he felt pain shoot through his ribs as he used the wall for support. "You're stupid to think this would work," he said, stumbling out of the room. He collapsed against the wall opposite the door as the screaming started, sliding to the floor in defeat. Why hadn't he done anything to stop it?

 

~



Yunho woke with a start, sitting up as he felt the dream end. "What the hell?" He asked, turning to look beside him to see Gunmin still asleep. "Where did that dream come from?" He asked, rubbing his face with his hands before falling back onto the bed with a sigh. He reached over to his nightstand and grabbed his phone when he heard it ding, soon looking at the message from Wontak. Mission details. "Great," he groaned, dropping the phone onto his chest before sighing and throwing an arm across his face to try and sleep again. He would deal with the mission stuff in the morning.
 

~



MK was at the house later that morning, having also gotten mission details from Kangmin. "Looks like we're doing our first missions as a team together," said Yunho as he opened the door, seeing MK standing there.

"It seems so," said MK. "Where are you going?" He asked. "Vancouver," said Yunho. "Gunmin and I are," he added. "What about you?" He asked. "Same," said MK. "Did you already pack?" Asked Yunho as he let MK in. "Are we driving there?" Asked MK as he walked with Yunho into the kitchen. "We are," said Yunho. "It'll give me a chance to test the jeep anyway," he added.

"Will the jeep fit the three of us?" Asked MK. "It will," said Yunho. "As long as we switch seats every now and again to stretch our legs in the back seat," he said. "Did you want to drive first?" He asked. "Nah, I'll let you do it," said MK. Yunho nodded.

"Does your side of the pack know already?" Asked MK. "Yeah," said Yunho. "What about yours?" He asked. "They know," said MK as he nodded. "Alright, let's eat then I'll get my things," said Yunho. "Gunmin is already packed?" Asked MK. "We always have a duffle bag on hand in case we get missions," said Yunho. "So yes," he said.

"Where'd everyone go?" Asked MK. "They're all busy, but they know," said Yunho. "I'm going to pack up my rifle then we'll go," he said. "I didn't think you'd bring out the rifle for this hunt," said MK. "Well, remember Minseok?" Asked Yunho.

"....His turn finally came huh?" Asked MK. "I thought I'd let you know that he was my next mission," said Yunho as he sighed. "Well, at least it was you and not anyone else," said MK. "Do you have all your appropriate paperwork?" He asked. "In case we're stopped," he added. "Yeah, it's in the jeep," said Yunho.

 

~



Gunmin ended up driving first, after getting the address for the place they were staying in inputted into the gps attached to the center console. Yunho was in the back seat and MK was sitting in the passenger seat.

"We don't have communication rights in Vancouver do we?" Asked MK. "No," hummed Yunho as he updated his chats to let everyone know where he was going with Gunmin. MK had already done so, seeing that they were both in a bunch of the same chats.

"Who are you after?" Asked Yunho as he looked up from his phone. "Some vampire who's been causing trouble," said MK. "His name is Sungjae or something," he hummed. "Ace was having some trouble with him it seems, so that's why I was called along," he said. "I see," said Yunho.

 

~



"Why didn't you stop him huh?!" Shouted Gunhak as he slammed Seoho into the wall behind them. "We wouldn't be dealing with this damn headache if you had just stopped him," he snarled, pulling Seoho back before slamming him into the wall behind him again.

"Y-You wouldn't understand," said Seoho as he found the strength to grab Gunhak by the arms and shove him backwards. It nearly caused him to fall over but he managed to steady himself as he glared at Gunhak. "You wouldn't!" He shouted as he went and pushed Gunhak away from him.

"Help me understand then," said Gunhak. "I know you didn't want to do anything to him," he said. "Everything I say will just be excuses to you," spat Seoho. "We're trying to keep you from being punished," said Gunhak. "Did you even stop to think that that's what I wanted?" Asked Seoho.

 

~



Yunho woke with a start, falling off the back seat with a groan. "You alright back there?" Asked MK as he looked into the rearview mirror. "I'm fine," grunted Yunho as he pushed himself up, moving back to sit on the seat with a sigh. "Just dealing with more dream transfers," he said. "You're getting his dreams now?" Asked MK. "Apparently," hummed Yunho as he turned to look out the window.

"Wanna stop somewhere?" Asked MK. "Yeah, how are we on gas?" Asked Yunho. "I refilled it a bit ago but we can stop at the next exit," he said. "Why didn't you wake me?" Asked Yunho as he blinked in surprise. "Gunmin was driving," said MK. "Ah," hummed Yunho.

 

~



MK and Yunho switched seats, though MK did ask Gunmin if he wanted the back seat, and Yunho continued the drive to Vancouver. Something about the last dream had Yunho deep in thought as he drove, humming along to a tune as he kept an eye on the road. Gunmin was back to being awake, staring out the passenger side window while being in his own thoughts.

"You're feeling guilty," said Yunho as he changed lanes when the gps told him to get ready to turn into an exit. Gunmin turned to Yunho in surprise, his head tilting to the side.

"Your dreams," said Yunho. "Well, memories now," he added. "You feel guilty about what happened, and it's really not doing you much good," he said. Gunmin nodded, sighing as he looked out the passenger door window again. "I get it," said Yunho. "I feel guilty for not being able to help San when he needed me the most," he hummed.

"Though, for you it's different I suppose," said Yunho as he pulled into the exit he was going to, merging onto another interstate a few seconds later to continue the drive. Gunmin nodded again.

"How were you supposed to stop someone from doing something, when they were your mate?" Asked Yunho.