Chapter 7

The Soldier and His Protector

Gunmin looked around the room, noticing that the wolf plushie was no longer between them and figured that Yunho had taken it outside with him or something. He got up, stumbling a bit as he nearly fell over from a sudden weakness in his knees. He steadied himself by leaning on the mattress before taking a few unsteady steps and walking out of the room once his sense of balance had come back to him. He followed the pull of the contract downstairs and outside, grabbing his shoes and putting them on before stepping outside, to find Yunho curled up on the bench by the water with San.

Yunho looked over when Gunmin walked over, moving closer to San to make room for Gunmin to sit down. Gunmin sat down with a sigh, sliding forward slightly as he leaned his head back against the back of the bench. "Sorry, I woke up from that nightmare too," mumbled Yunho as he leaned against San's shoulder, resting his head on San's shoulder for comfort. Gunmin shook his head in understanding.

"Are you alright?" Asked San as he looked down at Yunho. "I will be," said Yunho. "What nightmare was it?" Asked San. "The one where we were rescued," said Yunho. "You were unconscious at the time," he added. "But instead of you surviving the worst happened," he mumbled.

"Oi," said San. "I'm not gonna die anytime soon," he said. "I swear on it okay?" He asked, putting an arm around Yunho. "I know," hummed Yunho. "Just try and not to get yourself killed okay?" He asked. "Sure sure," said San.

 

~



By morning San was gone, and Yunho was sleeping curled up on the bench with his wolf plushie clutched in his arms and his head in Gunmin's lap. Gunmin was still awake when San left, and was able to wave goodbye to the vampire before falling asleep himself.

Yunho jolted awake, sitting up in surprise as he remembered that San had visited last night. He looked around, sighing when he didn't find San with them. He woke up Gunmin who woke with a start, turning his head to look at Yunho. "Did he say goodbye at least?" Asked Yunho. Gunmin nodded.

"Good," Yunho said, stretching out on the bench as he put the wolf plushie between them.

"Was someone looking for me?" Came a new voice, causing Yunho and Gunmin to turn to spot two new people standing a few feet away.

"Who are you?" Asked Yunho. "The name's Ace," said Ace as he shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets. "Word travels fast for us vampires it seems," he hummed. "Yeosang was looking for you," said Yunho. "But he left a few days ago," he said. "I can ask him to come back if you want," he said.

"I'll be at Chani's place," said Ace as he nodded. "Who is with you?" Asked Yunho. "Introduce yourself," said Ace as he turned to his companion. "My name is Ayno," said Ayno as he tilted his head to the side. Gunmin observed him with his head tilted to the side as Yunho nodded. "I'll contact him as soon as I can," he said. Ace nodded and sprinted into the woods, soon disappearing from view. Ayno was left to stand there for a second, sighing at Ace's antics before following after him.

"They remind me of Yeosang and Mingi," Yunho said with a chuckle, earning an amused look from Gunmin before they both got up, Yunho grabbing the wolf plushie, and headed inside to freshen up and get ready for the day.

 

~



It seemed to be a good week, as Hongjoong, Jongho and Wooyoung were finally home after their trip to Asia a few days after Ace had appeared. "San finally came over huh?" Asked Hongjoong after Yunho caught him up on everything that had happened.

"For a few hours actually," said Yunho as he scratched the back of his head. "It was nice to finally see him again though," he added. "Nice," said Hongjoong. "Gunmin isn't giving you trouble is he?" He asked. "No," said Yunho. "That's good," said Hongjoong.

"Anything interesting from the trip?" Asked Yunho. "I got you a Chinese dragon statue," said Hongjoong. "It should be up in your room, Wooyoung dropped it off before he went to take a shower," he said. "Cool," said Yunho. "I haven't gotten one of those yet," he said.

"You said a vampire named Ace stopped by?" Asked Byungchan as he walked over, interrupting their little reunion. "I mean," said Yunho as he turned to Byungchan. "I think he was one, he said something about word travelling fast to them," he said. "He had also pulled a Yeosang and ran off to hunt not long after with his companion," he said.

"Seungsik ran into them I think," said Byungchan. "They did say they were staying at Chani's place for a bit until Yeosang came over," said Yunho. "Ah," hummed Byungchan.

 

~



San was back, Gunmin had been sitting outside after waking up from another nightmare being transferred to him, when said vampire showed up.

"Sorry," said San as he went to sit down on the other side of the bench. "I needed to hunt so I couldn't stay long before," he said. Gunmin shook his head in understanding before looking back out at the water.

"I worry for him you know?" Asked San as he leaned back against the bench with a sigh. "Back then when it was just us things were different," he said. "Now I know he's in a better place but I hate to see what all these missions are doing to his head," he said. Gunmin could only sit in silence, nodding to San's words.

"Just keep an eye on my brother okay?" Asked San as he turned to Gunmin. Gunmin turned to San, his head tilting to the side in question. "You're helping him, somehow or another," said San. "Just keep an eye on him," he said. Gunmin nodded, bowing his head in acknowledgement before turning back to look out at the water. "Thank you," he heard San say before he heard the vampire leave.