Chapter 15

The Soldier and His Protector

Yunho was practicing his aim with his airsoft rifle, shooting at moving targets in a range that was set up in the forest to the left of the property. Gunmin was his moving target, moving in and out of view thanks to the trees in the forest. Yunho's job was to keep Gunmin from getting as close to the house as possible. Gunmin's job was to keep out of the way of the airsoft pellets, because if he got shot then he failed his part of the mission.

Yunho was predicting where Gunmin was going next when his phone pinged, causing Yunho to stop looking through the rifle scope to look at his phone. "Pause!" He called out to Gunmin who was about to dart forward for the back deck.

A location was sent to his phone, and Yunho looked at Gunmin, sighing as he put his gun down. "Your trial is here," he said to Gunmin who walked over after changing and getting dressed. Gunmin tried to keep the worry from showing on his face, but Yunho had learned to read through the masks Gunmin put up weeks ago during their missions in the states.

"We'll be alright I'm sure," said Yunho. "Just trust me, and behave okay?" He asked. Gunmin nodded. "Let me put the rifle up and we'll head on over," said Yunho as he made sure to empty his clip into the container of pellets before taking the container and the rifle back inside and up to his room.

Gunmin waited for Yunho by the jeep and got in the passenger seat and closing the door when Yunho walked over after grabbing his keys, phone and wallet. "Are you ready?" Asked Yunho as he sat in the driver's seat and closed the door. "Because once we go, there's no turning back," he said. Gunmin nodded, his decision made as he turned to Yunho.

Yunho turned to Gunmin, looking for any sign of him backing out before nodding and starting the jeep. He put the address into the gps on the console before backing out of the driveway and heading towards their destination.

 

~



They ended up in a little hole in the wall coffee shop in Toronto, and Yunho had to make sure that this was the right place before putting the jeep in park and turning it off before leaning back in his seat with a sigh. "This is it then," he said, turning to Gunmin who nodded, looking into the coffee shop to try and see anything.

"Let's go then," said Yunho as he got out, closing the door behind him. He waited until Gunmin was out of the jeep before locking the doors and walking over to the entrance of the coffee shop. Gunmin was hesitant as he walked over to stand beside Yunho. "We can do it, okay?" Asked Yunho as he turned to Gunmin. "We can do it," he repeated. Gunmin nodded and Yunho pushed the door open, listening as a bell sounded above them before walking in. Gunmin walked in after him, taking in his surroundings.

"Ah, you're here," said the person at the counter as Yunho walked over. "The name's Ziu, I'm the youngest in Ace's coven," said Ziu. "You know who we are then," said Yunho. "Of course, let me get you two some coffee," said Ziu. "Go sit down where ever, I'll get someone to bring it over," he said. Yunho nodded and walked over to sit down beside the windows. Gunmin went to sit beside him, keeping his expression blank while seeking comfort in Yunho's presence.

 

~



Ace walked into the coffee shop with Mashiho, Eunwoo and Rocky. "Welcome back, hello Mashiho, Eunwoo, Rocky," said Ziu. "Hey," said Ace. "Get coffee for our guests," he said. "Will do," said Ziu as he went to work on the coffee.

"They let you out of the country for once?" Asked Yunho as Eunwoo and Rocky joined him and Gunmin at their table. "Please," Eunwoo said with a scoff. "Not like you're faring any better dog," he said. "I at least got to leave a few months ago to tour the states, again," said Yunho. The corners of Eunwoo's lips twitched upward before he turned serious, crossing his arms over his chest as Mashiho went to sit down between them.

"San couldn't make it huh?" Asked Mashiho. "Youngbin has him doing stuff again," said Yunho as he shrugged, taking a sip of his coffee. "I got to see him before I went home after my last mission in the states though," he hummed.

"Well," said Ace as he sat between Gunmin and Rocky. "Let's get this trial going shall we?" He asked. Baron, who had delivered Yunho and Gunmin's coffees, soon came over with Eunwoo and Rocky's coffees, setting them down in front of them before walking away. "We can't delay the inevitable huh?" Asked Yunho as he sighed.

"Before we decide the verdict, is there anything you want to add?" Asked Mashiho as he turned to Yunho. "I've gotten snippets of his dreams," said Yunho as he leaned forward, letting his forearms rest on the table as he gripped his coffee cup in his hands. "I can say with confidence, that he had done nothing wrong," he said.

"The contract you have him under, it renders him mute?" Asked Mashiho. "Yes," said Yunho. "But he gets my nightmares, and I somehow end up with a few of his dreams," he said. "So the dreams is a two way thing," said Ace. "In a way it is," said Yunho.

Gunmin fought down a shiver, remembering the dreams of Yunho's earlier hunts. He could swear by his contract that they were worse than the nightmares he still occasionally got.

Eunwoo turned to Gunmin, studying him with an eyebrow raised. "So he can't speak at all," he said. "I said I would be his voice," said Yunho, a growl in his tone. "I didn't say you couldn't," said Eunwoo as he turned to Yunho.

"As far as we're aware, Gunmin was there with Keonhee to drag Dami off to the hospital," said Eunwoo. "But he had no choice," said Yunho. "Would you go against your own mate's orders if he told you to do something?" He asked.

"That's what happened huh?" Asked Rocky as he finally decided to speak. "Would you try and fight it?" Asked Yunho as he turned to Rocky. "If Dami told you to kill everyone," he added. "Part of you will fight it, as your loyalty to the pack always comes first, but the bigger part of you will listen to her," he said.

"When you put it like that," said Rocky. "I guess it would make sense," hummed Eunwoo. "As mated 'shifters we always put our mates before everything else," he said. "Pack comes second in our case," he said. "Because of what happened I assume," said Mashiho. "Correct," said Rocky. "We don't want that to happen again," he said.

"Do you swear that you didn't do anything?" Asked Eunwoo as he turned to Gunmin. Gunmin nodded in confirmation. "If we find you guilty of all charges, Yunho will have to die to make you die," said Mashiho. "Are you sure you are innocent?" He asked. Gunmin nodded again.