Chapter 17

The Soldier and His Protector

MK knew better than to expect missions to go perfectly. He just knew that something would go wrong with this one. Gunmin was protecting the human like he was told, but MK knew that he wanted to go after Yunho who had gone berserk after... That. He bared his teeth in annoyance and turned to Gunmin, motioning with his paw to get the human to get up.

Gunmin wanted to abandon the mission, but he had no choice but to nudge the human to get her to stand before leaving with her and MK to change and take the human back to Chani's coven house.

 

~A few hours earlier~



After a week of planning and having San scout the area out they were ready. Gunmin was apprehensive, as this was his first blood den, and MK just kept a stoic expression on his face, knowing that something like this would normally take longer to plan but they were running out of time.

"According to Bomin, the vampire should be moving in soon for her," said MK as he laid out a map of the building interior San had drawn from memory. "They have her here," he said, pointing to a room. "We have to protect her at all costs," he said.

"We'll make it," said Yunho as he traced the path to the room. "We have to right? Just get her and get out," said MK. Gunmin nodded, looking down at the map. "Gunmin, you have to protect her no matter what okay?" Asked Yunho. "If she is who they say, we can't risk either of us dying," he said. "Get to her, then protect her with everything you got," he said. "We'll take care of everything to get you there," he said. Gunmin nodded.

 

~



"You're moving a human for someone?" Asked San as he sat on the bench by the water next to Yunho who was by himself for once. "I am," hummed Yunho as he nodded. "For who?" Asked San. "Daeyeol," said Yunho. "Why?" He asked.

San blinked. "Why him?" He asked. "I don't know," said Yunho. "We were never told why really, just to get her out of the blood den before someone comes after her," he said. "Well," said San. "I'll help you out but," he said, sighing.

"When the time comes I won't be able to do much to help you," said San. "I know," said Yunho. "I don't want you to get more involved than you have to," he said.

"I'm surprised they decided to move her," said San as he looked up at the stars. "It surprised me too, when you were asked to move a human," he said. "But what's so special about her?" Asked Yunho. "You'll see, when you meet up with her I'm sure," said San as he got up. "I'm going hunting, don't wait up for me," he said. Yunho nodded, and San sprinted off, heading off to hunt.

 

~



"Why the hell are you here?" Asked San as he confronted Daeyeol. Bomin was close by, watching the confrontation but he knew to step in if San tried anything. "You know moving her will be the worst idea you've ever come up with," he said.

"We have no choice," said Daeyeol. "We would if you'd just get rid of her already," hissed San. "Don't get involved then," said Daeyeol. "This involves my brother," growled San as he glared at Daeyeol. "Of course I'm going to get involved," he spat.

"This is your blood den isn't it?" Asked Bomin as he looked at San. "It's Seonghwa's actually," said San. "But I keep an eye on it," he added. "He wouldn't mind this one getting taken out then," said Bomin. "No, not when she's there," said San.

 

~



"I have a bad feeling about this place," said Yunho as he looked at the building in front of them. Gunmin and MK stood on either side of him, studying the outside of the building.

"Where's San?" Asked MK. "I don't know," said Yunho. "He wished us luck though," he said. "He expects us to do it ourselves?" Asked MK. "We can do this," said Yunho. "We've taken out vampires before, we can do this," he said. "Right," hummed MK.

"We've made a name for ourselves as a team, let's live up to that reputation yeah?" Asked Yunho. MK and Gunmin nodded, before the three of them rushed into the building.

 

~



Taking out the vampires to get to the target was easy enough, they knew the longer they spent taking care of the vampires the more that would show up though. MK knew from experience, and Yunho knew from asking other vampire hunters that blood dens were never as easy as it seemed.

San had been there to help after all, staking what vampires Yunho couldn't get to, basically covering each others backs while MK and Gunmin worked as team to get to the human.

"She better be some princess or something if she's this important to whoever is trying to get to her," muttered Yunho as he and San stood back to back, being surrounded by vampires. "Believe me, she's not," said San. "But a mission is a mission at this point huh?" He asked, and the two brothers leaped forward to get to their targets. MK and Gunmin changed, going in their wolf forms now to try and get to the human faster while being able to take out the vampires more easily.

"Who's blood den is this anyway?" Asked Yunho as he looked back at San as they got back to back again. "...It's mine," said San. "What?" Asked Yunho. "It's my blood den," said San. "You gotta be kidding me," snarled Yunho as he turned around, forcing San to turn around to look at Yunho.

"This is your blood den?" Snarled Yunho as he shoved San into the wall. "Why the hell are you keeping this human huh?" He snarled. "We all have to die at some point," said San as he shoved Yunho away, kicking him in the stomach in the process to send him flying into the wall on the opposite side of the room. Yunho hit the wall hard, sliding the ground with a grunt.

"Your mission isn't done until you kill all of us right? Well come at me then," said San as he rolled his shoulders some, grabbing his pocket knife out of his back pocket and brandishing it, gripping it in one hand as he threw a stake with his other hand at Yunho.

Yunho grunted as he got to his feet, grabbing the stake from the ground next to him before turning to face San. "First let's get rid of the witnesses," said Yunho. "Whatever you want," said San as they continued fighting side by side killing all the vampires in the building.

 

~



MK knew better than to expect missions to go perfectly. He just knew that something would go wrong with this one. Gunmin was protecting the human like he was told, but MK knew that he wanted to go after Yunho who had gone berserk after... That. He bared his teeth in annoyance and turned to Gunmin, motioning with his paw to get the human to get up.

Gunmin wanted to abandon the mission, but he had no choice but to nudge the human to get her to stand before leaving with her and MK to change and take the human back to Chani's coven house.

"We'll have to come back for him," said MK as he made sure the human was uninjured before getting her to sit down in the passenger seat. Gunmin wanted to stay behind, but MK shook his head. "This is a battle between the two brothers, we'll return for the survivor," said MK. Gunmin shook his head.

"Get in, Yunho's not stupid enough to get himself killed," said MK. "Brother or not, he cares for you more than you think," he said, letting Gunmin get into the back seat before moving the driver's seat back forward and getting into the jeep. After making sure everyone was fine MK started the jeep and drove off.

 

~



San had taken on his full vampire side for this, as he attacked a now transformed Yunho. "It's my time to die you know," he said as he shoved the wolf away from him, moving to swipe the knife across Yunho's face across his left eye as Yunho bit him in the arm.

Yunho let go of San's arm as San stabbed Yunho in the eye with a hidden knife, snarling as he launched himself at San again. San let Yunho tackle him, grabbing the knife and yanking it out of Yunho's eye socket as he landed on his back.

Yunho returned to human form, his left eye now useless as he hovered above San. "Why?" He rasped out. "I'm already dying Yunho," said San. "So I'd rather you kill me than anyone else," he said. "It's the promise we made remember?" He asked.

"But you can't die, now that you've found your mate," said San as he sighed. "I'm just going to leave you handicap," he said. Yunho transformed again, snarling into San's face. "Just do it then," said San as he coughed. "Kill me," he said. Yunho reached down and bit into San's neck, biting down hard enough to break his neck before yanking backwards, ripping out his throat and watching as San turned into ashes, the last thing Yunho seeing was a peaceful smile on his face.

Yunho moved back, whining as he moved the ashes around looking for San's precious item. He grabbed it, a necklace with a fake wolf's tooth hanging on it, and slowly made his way out of the building. He had wondered why there was a blood den in the middle of the forest, and now he knew.

He trudged forward, the string of the necklace hanging loosely in his jaws as he made it as far as the tree line before collapsing, weak from blood loss. He had just enough strength to lift his head, lifting his snout to the sky and howling a goodbye for San before passing out on the forest floor.