Chapter 6

The Soldier and His Protector

"Damn it, you know how much I didn't want this!" Yelled Seoho as he paced back and forth. "You know it's either this or die," said Yunho as he leaned against the hood of the car he had borrowed for the day. "I know you better than that, but are you willing to give up your voice that easily?" He asked.

"That's the thing," said Seoho as he sighed, throwing up his hands in exasperation, turning to Yunho as his arms dropped to his sides. "I don't," he said. "But at the same time, I don't want to die either," he said. "You're lucky as hell Wontak didn't kill you back then," said Yunho. "Yeah yeah," mumbled Seoho as he stopped pacing. "I'll do it then," he said.

Gunmin looked more confused than he ever had been, seeing this dream in particular. It was strange to see from a third person's perspective, and yet here he was, listening to himself complain. Had he really been that kind of person back then?

 

~



Gunmin sat up in alarm, clawing at his throat as he gasped, coughing before covering his mouth with his hands. The burning on his chest didn't help either as he tried to get his breathing under control. Yunho woke with a start, feeling the burning in the scar across his upper back.

"What the hell are you doing to me?" Asked Yunho as he grabbed Gunmin, hitting him across the back to help get his breathing under control. "Now, which dream did you take from me this time?" He asked once Gunmin got his breathing under control. Gunmin moved his hands away and found blood, blinking in confusion.

"Blood?" Asked Yunho as he got up. "Come on, let's get you cleaned up," he said, getting Gunmin to stand and walk into the connecting bathroom to wash up.

"I'll have Subin check you over in the morning okay?" Asked Yunho when Gunmin was done cleaning himself up. Gunmin nodded. "Technically you're still alive so if it's something big we need to figure out what's wrong," he said. "Let's go back to sleep," he said, heading back into their room. Gunmin was hesitant, but followed after him.

 

~



"You said he coughed up blood yesterday?" Asked Subin as he stood in front of Gunmin who was sitting on their bed. "It was right after another dream," said Yunho. "Because I woke up to the scar across my back burning," he said.

"Hm," hummed Subin as he bent down in front of Gunmin. "Tilt your head back," he said, and Gunmin did what he was told. Subin reached out and gently touched Gunmin's neck, feeling for anything out of place. "Odd," he said. "Nothing should be wrong, you seem healthy," he said, moving away and standing up. Gunmin blinked, moving his head down as he looked at Subin.

"Really," said Subin. "Nothing is wrong from what it looks like," he said. "If it happens again let me know okay? I'll do what I can to figure out what's wrong," he said. Gunmin nodded. Subin nodded and turned, walking out of the room to leave them alone.

"Did you take one of my dreams where you were speaking?" Yunho asked suddenly. Gunmin blinked before nodding. "I didn't think you'd be able to take those dreams," said Yunho as he blinked in confusion. Gunmin shrugged.

"I can't control what dreams get transferred," hummed Yunho. "How odd," he said.

 

~



A surprise visit from Mingi and Yeosang really caught Gunmin off guard. He had expected a different person, despite the dream he had been sent. Yunho glanced between Gunmin and Mingi before shaking his head. "Don't try and kill each other now," he said.

"I dunno Yunho, it'd be impossible for us to die I'd think," said Mingi. "Probably," said Yunho. "But try and get along," he said. "I'll be right back, I need to speak to Yeosang," he said before going to do so.

Gunmin could only observe Mingi, his head tilting to the side. "What?" Asked Mingi. Gunmin shook his head.

 

~



"Where's San?" Asked Yunho. "Somewhere," said Yeosang. "He went off with Seonghwa for a small vacation before Seonghwa had to return to Austria," he said. "Said something about meeting up with another coven Seonghwa knows before coming by," he said. "San willingly went?" Asked Yunho as he raised an eyebrow. "Yeah," said Yeosang as he shrugged.

"That's surprising," Yunho said with a scoff. "Considering who San is, yeah," hummed Yeosang.

"So what did you need?" Asked Yunho. "Information," said Yeosang. "On who?" Asked Yunho. "Someone who goes by the name Ace," said Yeosang. "Hm," hummed Yunho as he tried to remember who that was.

"Does the name ring a bell?" Asked Yeosang. "No," said Yunho as he shook his head. "I haven't had to meet someone with that name yet," he said. "I'm sure if you ask MK he'll know," he said. "Or have you tried Chani yet?" He asked. "Chani didn't recognize the name," said Yeosang. "But I'll ask MK when I see him next," he said.

"I'll be sure to let him know ahead of time," said Yunho. Yeosang nodded and turned before sprinting off to hunt.

Gunmin walked over with Mingi, the both of them looking calm considering the circumstances anyway. "Yeosang went to hunt," said Yunho as he turned to Mingi. "I figured he did," said Mingi as he studied Yunho with a small head tilt.

"What?" Asked Yunho. "Nothing," said Mingi. "It's good to see you again," he said. "Even for these few minutes," he said, moving closer. Yunho hummed in response, freezing when Mingi put a hand on his shoulder. Gunmin was hesitant, watching what Yunho was going to do as he forced himself to not let out a growl.

"Are you happy?" Asked Mingi. Yunho blinked. "What kind of question is that?" He asked. "Are you?" Asked Mingi. Yunho had to think about it, shrugging Mingi's hand off his shoulder.

"I guess I am?" Yunho asked after a minute of thinking of an answer. "I mean, I feel better than before," he said. "Gunmin's doing wonders," Mingi said with a small chuckle, earning a sigh from Yunho. "Get out of here before Yeosang comes looking for you," said Yunho. "Yes mom," Mingi said, rolling his eyes before sprinting off into the forest.

 

~



"San! Please! Stay alive for me please!" Sobbed Yunho as he collapsed onto his knees beside his brother. Mingi and Yeosang were a few feet behind him, talking quietly.

Gunmin blinked as he watched this dream play out. Another nightmare huh? He wasn't too surprised, as he figured that seeing Yeosang again would trigger memories like this.

"Yunho," Mingi said quietly, walking over and putting a hand on his shoulder. "We'll have to move you two okay?" He asked. "We can't stay here," he said. "B-But," whimpered Yunho as he wiped his face with his arm. "We'll get you two out," said Mingi. "Trust me," he said. Yunho nodded, getting to his feet and stumbling some. Mingi helped keep him steady before picking him up. "I got San," said Yeosang as he went to pick up San. "Go," said Mingi. "I'll be right behind you," he said. Yeosang nodded before sprinting off, with Mingi following behind him.

Gunmin tried to follow after them, but they were too fast. He was soon forced from the dream as it ended.

 

~



Gunmin sat up in alarm, gasping for breath as he felt like he was running a marathon. He felt the scar across his chest burning again as he tried to get his breathing under control. He turned to look beside him to find the bed empty for once. Where had Yunho go?