Chapter 5

The Soldier and His Protector

"Mingi," said Yunho as he stood a few feet from said person. "Yunho," said Mingi.

"Who brought you back?" Asked Yunho. "It was Yeosang," said Mingi. "But it's okay," he said. "At least you're still you," he said.

"Things have changed Mingi," said Yunho as he shook his head. "I'm aware," said Mingi.

"Can you... Can you keep an eye on San for me?" Asked Yunho as he looked away from Mingi. "Of course," said Mingi. "Whatever makes you happy alright?" He asked. "I guess the feelings are still there huh?" Asked Yunho. "Of course," said Mingi. "You never rejected me in the first place," he said.

"I'm sorry I can't return your feelings," said Yunho as he turned back to Mingi. "It's okay," said Mingi. "I understand," he said. "I better go now," he said before turning and sprinting off. Yunho sighed, his shoulders slumping before turning and walking back to the pack house.

Gunmin had been observing this dream in slight confusion, wondering why a nightmare didn't come through tonight. He watched Yunho walk away before being forced from the dream.

 

~



Gunmin sat up in surprise, feeling the scar on his chest burning like it usually did when a dream had been transferred to him. He turned and looked over to see Yunho still asleep beside him before getting up and headed out of the room, going downstairs and into the kitchen to get some water. They had just gotten back home yesterday and it was already back to spending his nights outside with whoever decided to join him at this hour.

Gunmin headed out after grabbing his shoes and putting them on, going to sit on the back deck for a bit instead of sitting by the water like he usually did when Wooseok joined him.

 

~



It would be just after sunrise when the back door opened, and out stepped Yunho who had woke to an empty bed. "Oh, you're out here," he said, spotting Gunmin leaning against the railing. Gunmin turned to Yunho and nodded.

"What dream did you take from me last night?" Asked Yunho. "Because I woke from a nightmare," he said, sighing as he stood beside Gunmin. Gunmin shrugged, turning to look back out at the lake behind their property. "I forget that you don't speak anymore," grumbled Yunho as he let out a soft sigh. "Whatever," he said. "I'm sure I'll find out which dream it was," he said.

 

~



It wasn't long before the others had come out to find them, Chan being the one sent to tell them to get breakfast before heading back inside. "Welcome back Chan," said Yunho as he walked inside. "How was the camping trip?" He asked. "Went fine," said Chan as he shrugged. "We only came back because Hanse had to do something," he said. "Ah," hummed Yunho.

"Any news from my brother?" Asked Chan. "Not that I'm aware of, his last message in the faction chat was that he was going silent because he had a mission outside of communication range in Europe," said Yunho. "I'm sure he's fine though, Eric is with him I think," he said. "Ah," hummed Chan.

"What's the plan today?" Asked Seungwoo as he was making breakfast. "I need to go pick up Yuto then JR asked me to spend some more time with MK," he said. "Chani asked if Yuto could spend the day with us," he said. "It explains why Sejun left early this morning," said Byungchan as he walked into the kitchen.

"Why is Chani asking you to take their human for the day?" Asked Byungchan. "Yuto needs a day off," said Yunho. "And everyone else is busy at the moment so they asked me," he said. "Is that okay?" He asked. "Yeah, no problem," said Byungchan. "Just keep an eye on the chats in case we need you," he said. Yunho nodded, going to get ready before coming back to get breakfast. Gunmin went to get ready for the day after Yunho, coming back to eat breakfast before leaving in the jeep with Yunho.

MK got into the backseat with Gunmin, and after waving to Jinyoung who was returning from a hunt Yunho backed out of the driveway and drove off, heading out to Chani's coven house to go pick up Yuto.

"So why were we saddled with the human for the day?" Asked MK. "Chani never gave me an answer," said Yunho. "I assume it's due to visiting vampires in Toronto or something," he said. "Or Yuto really needed a day off," he said. "Sejun probably would've said something but," he said, shrugging.

Once they reached Chani's place Yuto was standing outside with Chani who was looking even more tired than usual. "What's wrong with Chani?" Asked Yunho as Yuto got into the passenger side and closed the door. "I don't know," said Yuto. "A lot of things have been stressing the vampires out lately," he said. "Interesting," hummed Yunho as he waved to Chani before backing out of the driveway, heading back to Toronto.

 

~



"So," said Yunho as he stopped at a stop light. "I assume that Jaemin is out of the house too," he said. "Chani has him staying with Jungwoo and Jeno at the moment," said Yuto. "I'm apparently safe due to being marked but," he said, shrugging.

"Why not send you off to Berlin?" Asked MK. "Moonbin said no," said Yuto. "I'm needed here anyway, because of the information network," he said. "That Hoetaek and Kris run," said Yunho. "Yeah, pretty much," said Yuto.

"How is Hongseok doing?" Asked Yunho as the light turned green and he started driving again. "I dunno, Chani shipped him off to stay with Jinho and the others after Hoetaek nearly killed him when he found out what Hongseok had done," said Yuto. "Yeah, I'd be pissed too to be honest," said MK. "Jun didn't deserve what had been done to him," he said. "I don't think anyone does," said Yunho.

 

~



"So now what?" Asked Yuto as they ended their day at Starbucks. "Are you coming home with us?" Asked Yunho. "I don't know to be honest," said Yuto as he shrugged. "Hyojin's coming to get me," said MK. "I had fun today," he added. "That's good," said Yunho. "I had fun too, even though I was basically forced to join you today," said Yuto.

"You weren't forced onto us per say," said Yunho. "We just agreed to take you with us," he said. "So it's not like you were forced to be with us the entire day," he said. "We would've let you go home if you wanted," he said. "Ah, I didn't know that," said Yuto. "It's fine though, I did enjoy the day," he added. "I didn't want to ruin the mood and ask to go home," he said.

"You miss him don't you?" Asked Yunho. "I do," hummed Yuto. "Sometimes I wish Chani let me go to Berlin by myself, but I can see why he won't," he said. "It's more for peace of mind I guess," he said. "You're a marked human," said Yunho. "Anything could happen to you between now and arriving in Berlin," he said.

"You got room to take me home?" Asked Sejun as he walked over after clocking out. "You're done already?" Asked Yunho as he looked up at Sejun. "Yeah," said Sejun. "Hyojin's coming to get me, I'll see where he's at," said MK as he checked his phone.

"Hui's here, I think," said Sejun. "You can go home with him," he said to Yuto. "Otherwise Yanan and Hyojong can," he said. "I have no problem taking him home," Yanan called from the counter. "Chani didn't say anything about him staying with you guys so," he said. "Okay, that settles it," said Yunho as he nodded.

 

~



After making sure that Hyojin had come to get MK Yunho drove home with Gunmin and Sejun, the three of them being quiet throughout the drive.

"Who got you the jeep again?" Asked Sejun. "Hongjoong did," said Yunho. "I know, I won't be using it much when most of my missions are out of the country but," he said, shrugging. "I'm not going to turn down a present though," he added. "I see," hummed Sejun.

"At least I don't have to keep borrowing any of your cars when I need to get somewhere," said Yunho. "True," said Sejun. "Though I'm sure you don't mind letting the others use it when you're away on missions," he said. "I don't," said Yunho as he nodded.