Chapter 14

The Soldier and His Protector

Something had changed in the dynamic between Gunmin and Yunho. It was subtle, but not enough for people to start noticing. An understanding sparked between them after that night by the lake and things had gotten better for them.

Yunho was not as cold as his image made him out to be. Gunmin was mute but he was loud in his own way. Missions were done in sync now, and Yunho used his rifle more as backup and letting Gunmin take the kills. MK had joined them on quite a few, taking out vampires and making a name for himself on Yunho's team.

There was a looming threat coming that would throw their team into chaos though. Gumin's trial was coming up, and no one, not even Byungchan's or JR's sides of the pack, wanted to separate the trio even if Gunmin was found guilty.

 

~



Yunho kept his rifle trained on the target as Gunmin chased them towards him. It was stupid for all their targets to think Gunmin was an easy kill, considering he couldn't be injured in anyway. MK was right behind them with another wolf, fighting and going into an all out brawl. MK was learning quickly how to deal with the enemies, after learning just how crazy Yunho's spars were with the rest of his side of the pack.

Gunmin quickly leaped forward, tackling his target to the ground and quickly closing his jaws around his target's neck. The wolf gave up quickly, submitting in defeat and causing Yunho to chuckle under his breath before quickly setting his sights on MK and his target.

"Damn, Chan gave up quickly," came Seungwoo's voice as he walked over to stand beside Yunho who was sitting on a bench on the back deck watching the spar. "Of course, let's see how Hanse can handle MK's brawler type fighting style," said Yunho. "It was a good idea for Kris to get you an airsoft rifle for the spars," said Seungwoo as he watched MK and Hanse continue to battle it out, neither party wanting to admit defeat.

"It simulates a real hunt, and MK knows better than to expect just vampire kills," said Yunho. "True," said Seungwoo. "You three have come a long way though," he said.

"They're still at it?" Asked Byungchan as he walked over with his hands in his pants pockets. "Chan isn't, but Hanse refuses to back down," said Seungwoo. "Wooyoung asked to join in the spars too, do you mind?" Asked Yunho as he turned to Byungchan. Byungchan shrugged. "That's up to Hongjoong at that point," he said. "If Hongjoong says it's okay then sure, he can join in," he said. "I'll let him know once he comes back into communication range," said Yunho.

Hanse seemed to overpower MK, and Gunmin started to move to get MK out from Hanse's grasp but a quick shot from Yunho and his airsoft rifle ended the spar quickly. Chan got to his feet, wondering if Hanse had taken it too far. "He didn't," called Seungwoo. "The fight was clearly in his favor anyway," he said. Hanse puffed his chest out in pride before stalking off to change and put some clothes on. Chan, MK and Gunmin eventually went to do the same, soon coming back into view in human form once they were dressed.

"You alright MK?" Asked Yunho. "Fine," said MK as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Thanks for the spar," he said, hearing a car pull up. "Oh, Wyatt is here," he said. "Looks like Hyojin is back in Detroit then," he said. "Come around again for another spar soon alright?" Asked Yunho. "Sure," said MK before he left.

 

~



"We have a date for his trial," said Seungwoo as he sat beside Yunho who was hanging out at Yuto's Starbucks alone for once. "I figured," hummed Yunho as he looked at Seungwoo. "Where am I taking him?" He asked. "They'll contact you where to go," said Seungwoo. "They fear I may run?" Asked Yunho. "They think Gunmin will," said Seungwoo, earning a scoff from Yunho.

"Is that why you told me to come here alone?" Asked Yunho. Seungwoo nodded. "It'll be two weeks from now," he said. "Be ready," he said. "I have no choice but to be at this point," Yunho said, sighing.

"No one wants you two to separate," said Seungwoo. "However, we all knew this would happen," he said. "Of course," said Yunho. "I don't think I'm ready to let him go yet," he said. Seungwoo's expression softened as he reached over and patted Yunho on the shoulder.

"If I were you, I'd fight for him too," said Seungwoo as the corners of his lips turned up in a comforting smile. "I have no other choice but to try at this point huh?" Asked Yunho as he sighed. "You can do this," said Seungwoo as he sat back in his chair. "I know," said Yunho. "I know I can," he added.

 

~



"Your trial is two weeks from now," said Yunho as he sat down beside Gunmin who was once again sitting on the bench by the lake. Gunmin stiffened at that, huffing as he remembered what he was on trial for. "We'll fight it, if they find you guilty," said Yunho. "Your dreams told me everything," he said. Gunmin nodded.

"I have no reason to lie to them anyway," said Yunho. "I'm sure you wish you had your voice to speak when the trial comes but," he said, sighing. "I'll be the voice okay?" He asked. Gunmin nodded again.

"I hope this works out," said Yunho. Gunmin nodded in agreement, relaxing in his seat with a sigh. Yunho turned to Gunmin, before grabbing his hand and holding it in his. Gunmin turned to Yunho, raising an eyebrow in question. "We're in this, together okay?" Asked Yunho. Gunmin smiled, a genuine one that reached his eyes before he nodded.

They sat like that for the rest of the night, enjoying each others company as they prepared themselves for the upcoming trial.