Chapter 11

The Soldier and His Protector

Gunmin stared down Minseok as he growled, baring his teeth as MK stood behind Minseok. "This is it huh?" Asked Minseok as he sighed. "Well, go on then," he said. Gunmin leaped forward, ready to deliver the final blow.
 

~A few hours earlier~



Yunho let out a deep breath as he stood on the roof of the apartment building, cleaning his rifle. It wasn't time for their mission yet, and here he was already cleaning it like old times. It had been a while since he had used his rifle, but still. It was one of those things he tried to retire but always came back to using the rifle when it was really needed.

"No sign of him yet," came MK's voice through the small earpiece that was in Yunho's ear. "It's fine, I'm just up here getting set up," said Yunho as he cleaned the scope before looking through it to make sure he could see clearly across the street to the neighboring roof. "Gunmin stay where you are, though if you want to be in the shade go ahead," he said, looking at Gunmin through the scope once he knew he had a clear shot. Gunmin waved in Yunho's general direction before going to sit in some shade, waiting for the confrontation.

"This is going to end badly I know it," said MK. "It's Minseok, everything ends badly when concerning him," said Yunho. "No offense," he added. "None taken really, I'd be extra cautious too if I knew I was being hunted down," said MK. "He was a soldier right?" Asked Yunho. "Yeah, so he'll put up a decent fight," said MK. "Nothing my rifle can't handle if it gets out of hand," hummed Yunho.

"You think it will?" Asked MK. "We're hunting our own kind, of course it will," said Yunho as he sat down, letting the barrel of the rifle rest on the edge of the building. "Not only that, Minseok knows how we work," he said.

 

~



"Minseok, are you sure?" Asked Hyojin as he sat down next to said person. "I'm completely sure," said Minseok as he nodded. "It's nothing against the pack or anything of that sort," he said. "I just feel like it's time for me to move on from this pack for a while," he said.

"Why are you making this decision now?" Asked Hyojin. "You've been working so well with the others," he said. "MK and Yunho have been great don't get me wrong," said Minseok. "But I feel like I'm lagging behind them sometimes, I need to leave, to get out of this," he said.

"Are you completely sure?" Asked Hyojin. "Yes," said Minseok as he nodded. Hyojin let out a defeated sigh. "Alright, I'll let Jinyoung know of your decision," he said.

"Don't tell the others why I left okay?" Asked Minseok. "I'd rather not get them down any more than they already are," he said. "Just- just when my time comes, tell Yedam that I'd rather have Yunho do it," he said. "Sure," said Hyojin. "Good luck," he said. Minseok nodded, getting up and leaving.

 

~



"What I want to know is why," said MK as he leaned against the wall of the building. "I honestly don't know," said Yunho as he was checking his phone for anything new happening. "Your guess is as good as mine," he said.

"Do you remember our first missions?" Asked MK. Yunho laughs. "Of course," he said. "Luckily it was just a trial mission," he said. "We failed so badly that Taeyong and Doyoung had to redo the trial mission just to get you two to pass," he said.

MK chuckled, the chuckling soon turning into a sigh as he pushed away from the building when he saw who was walking up. "He's here, let's see how this goes," he said, putting his hands in his hoodie pockets as he turned to Minseok who froze at the sight of MK.

"What brings you to Vancouver?" Asked Minseok as he walked over, standing a few feet from MK. "Just missions," said MK as he shrugged. "You're not after me are you?" Asked Minseok as he raised an eyebrow. "Now why would I be? I'm still hunting vampires," said MK as he shrugged again, walking with Minseok into the apartment building.

Yunho checked to make sure his rifle was loaded, looking across the roof to make sure Gunmin was alert and ready. "Be ready for anything," he said into the earpiece. "This could go from bad to worse in a matter of seconds," he said. Gunmin nodded, getting up and hiding from view of the roof access door.

 

~



"So if you're not here for me, then who are you here for?" Asked Minseok. "Someone named Sungjae," said MK. "Do you know him?" He asked. "He's my roommate," hummed Minseok. "Killing two birds with one stone then," he said. "Who's with you on this one?" He asked. "I can't say," said MK. "I see," said Minseok.

"Wanna go up to the roof?" Asked Minseok. "Eh, why not?" Asked MK. They both headed up to the roof.

"Heads up, you got company," said Yunho as he spotted someone walking into the building. MK hummed, turning around when he heard footsteps. "Minseok," said Sungjae. "Oh, you're back," said Minseok. "How was hunting?" He asked. "Eh," said Sungjae.

"Who's this?" Asked Sungjae. "This is MK, he was my old packmate," said Minseok. "Ah," hummed Sungjae. "Nice to meet you," said MK. "We're going up to the roof, wanna join us?" Asked Minseok. "Sure," said Sungjae as he walked with them.

 

~



"Who are you here for?" Asked a new voice, causing Yunho to turn his head to spy a new vampire standing a few feet behind him. "Minseok," said Yunho as he shrugged, looking back towards the building across the street. "Brave of you," said the new person.

"Who are you?" Asked Yunho. "Minhyuk," said Minhyuk. "I am Sungjae's coven leader," he said. "Sungjae's the one MK's after," hummed Yunho. "I know," said Minhyuk as he walked over, leaning against the edge as he watched the traffic below.

"Ace contacted me, and I knew exactly why as soon as I was told Sungjae was involved," he said. "Minseok is going to give your friend some trouble," he said. "I don't think so," said Yunho. "Why do you say that?" Asked Minhyuk. "He's like Jun," said Yunho. "We were told how to deal with people like him," he said.

"Ultimately it'll be you who kills him huh?" Asked Minhyuk. "Possibly," hummed Yunho as he got into position when he saw the door open, adjusting his grip on the rifle.

 

~



Minseok looked over at Gunmin who walked over, raising an eyebrow. "It's you isn't it?" He asked. Gunmin shrugged, putting his hands in his pants pockets. MK was quick to react as soon as Sungjae was distracted, quickly staking him and moving back as soon as Sungjae was nothing but ashes.

"Damn, you've gotten quicker with your reflexes," said Minseok as he turned to MK. "But are you as quick as me?" He asked, rushing forward to grab MK by the neck and slam him into the roof access door. "You'll pay for that," he snarled. "I'm not the one you should be worried about here," coughed MK as he struggled to move and breathe in Minseok's grip.

"Oh I know," said Minseok as he turned, moving out of the way and throwing MK at Gunmin who was charging at him after he changed to wolf form. MK managed to maneuver himself so that Gunmin could leap over him as he landed on his stomach. MK got to his feet as Gunmin slammed into MInseok who grabbed Gunmin by the jaws, pulling the wolf forward and over his shoulder before turning around to stare down the wolf before him. Gunmin landed roughly on his feet, quickly turning around and baring his teeth in a snarl. MK watched the interaction, unable to force his body to move.

Gunmin stared down Minseok as he growled, baring his teeth as MK stood behind Minseok. "This is it huh?" Asked Minseok as he sighed. "Well, go on then," he said. Gunmin leaped forward, ready to deliver the final blow. Before Gunmin could reach Minseok the side of Minseok's head exploded, a shot ringing out from across the street. Gunmin was forced to stop, landing just short of his target as Minseok hit the ground, dead.

 

~



Yunho closed his eyes as he let out a breath, resting the barrel of the rifle against the edge of the building. "Brutal," said Minhyuk as he moved away, walking back to the roof access door. "It was the only way," hummed Yunho as he slung the rifle across his shoulder using the strap he had attached to the rifle. "I'm sure," said Minhyuk before he left the area.

"It's done," said Yunho. "Get your pictures, we'll take care of the body later," he said into the headset. "I thought you didn't want to do this?" Asked MK. "I had no choice," said Yunho. "Go get changed, and stuff, we'll give him a proper burial," he said before leaving the roof.

 

~



After getting changed and taking Minseok's now wolf form down to the jeep and putting it in the trunk Yunho drove out of the city and into the wilderness to give him a proper burial. MK was silent the whole drive, and Gunmin was in his thoughts, still shocked over the events.

Was this how things ended for everyone? Would he go through the same fate? He knew he wouldn't, in a way, but he knew that Yunho would, eventually. He was conflicted about the idea of dying. And yet here he was going to a small funeral for someone he didn't know, but the two with him did.

When they arrived at the campsite they would be using MK and Yunho started gathering rocks for a huge fire pit. Gunmin was left to gather logs, sticks, anything that would burn really, and bring them over ot the fire pit.

"I still can't believe we're doing this," said MK as Yunho walked over with the wolf and setting it down into the pit before helping Gunmin pile the sticks on top of it. "Do we really go out like this? Eventually?" He asked. "Yeah," said Yunho. "I've seen good people die because of one mistake," he said. "This ," said MK. "I know," hummed Yunho as he doused the sticks in gasoline before throwing a lit match into the pile.