Chapter 4

The Soldier and His Protector

Seonghwa was only there for a few hours, leaving due to needing to meet up with the rest of his coven somewhere north of Jaehwan's territory. There was an important meeting that he couldn't miss, and he was already running behind by visiting Yunho, MK and Gunmin. He promised to come back with a souvenir as soon as he was free.

"Seonghwa is very eccentric," said MK, echoing Gunmin's thoughts as Yunho went to sit down after watching Seonghwa disappear from sight. "He's the more extroverted vampire of the entire coven," agreed Yunho as he shrugged. "Mingi takes after Yeosang, and San is... San," he said.

"Is there a reason for the way San acts the way he is?" Asked MK. "Yes," said Yunho. "But I'm not going to explain it due to not being comfortable enough to do so," he said. Gunmin shivered, the nightmares reminding him of how it was for Yunho before he had joined Kris's pack. "I'm not gonna press on the matter," said MK. "I won't fully understand due to having a relatively tame past compared to everyone here but," he said, shrugging. "As Jinyoung once said, I try to be as understanding as I can, but I won't try and force answers out of you if you don't want it," he said.

"You're a turned werewolf right?" Asked Hwanwoong. "Yeah," said MK. "Do you know who turned you?" Asked Hwanwoong. "Jinyoung did," said MK. "Really?" Asked Yunho. MK nodded. "I was picked to join the pack," he said. "But I was still human at the time so he turned me, after asking of course," he said. "Interesting," said Yunho. "So in a way you're directly connected to Jinyoung," he said. "Yep," said MK.

"Do the others know?" Asked Hwanwoong. "They do," said MK as he nodded. "But I've told them straight up that it doesn't bother me," he said. "I'm pretty laid back to be honest, I don't try and flaunt the fact that I was turned by Jinyoung to everyone I know," he said.

Everyone looked up at the ceiling of the gazebo they were under as rain started hitting the roof. "Well, looks like we're stuck under here," said Yunho as he got comfortable, laying down in the loveseat, letting his feet hang off one end. "As long as it doesn't get windy anyway," he added. "Yeah," hummed Xion as he looked out to the forest in thought.

"So why didn't Dongmyeong come join us?" Asked MK. "He wanted to sleep," said Xion. "It also means I'm stuck wide awake until then," he said, sighing. "How long have you been awake for?" Asked Hwanwoong. "A few days at least," said Xion as he shrugged. "It's okay though, I've definitely been awake for longer," he said.

 

~



"I swear you guys," said Xiao as he walked outside with an umbrella, seeing everyone in various states of sleep, except for Xion who was reading something on his phone. "It's morning already?" Asked Xion as he turned to look at Xiao. "Come make breakfast," he said. "Okay," said Xion as he got up, putting his phone in his pocket before going to wake everyone up and head inside.

Hwanwoong was the first to get up after Xion, getting up and making sure the others were waking up before heading inside. Gunmin waited until Yunho and MK got up before heading inside with them, everyone going to get their cups of coffee.

"What did you want to do today?" Asked Yunho as he turned to MK. "I've always wanted to go to DC," said MK as he shrugged. "I've been there before don't get me wrong, but I think it'd be a cool trip for us," he said.

"You'll have to do it within an hour if you want a chance to get there to explore the whole day," said Xiao. "We're still about three hours from DC but," he said, shrugging.

"Do you want to go?" Asked Yunho as he turned to MK. "If you want," said MK. "I'm fine with going," said Yunho as he nodded. "What about you Gunmin?" He asked, turning to Gunmin. Gunmin nodded, agreeing to go.

"Can I go too?" Asked Xion as he turned to Gunhak who walked into the kitchen with Youngjo. "Where are you going?" Asked Gunhak. "Taking a day trip to DC," said Xion. "MK wants to go, and it seems like something fun to do," he said. "You know it's your decision to say yes or no," said Xiao as he sipped on coffee, checking on breakfast on the stove as Xion returned to the counter to see what else he could do to help.

"I guess it's okay," said Gunhak. "I can't keep you from having fun," he said. "Yay!" Said Xion. "Go wake up your brother, I'm sure Dongmyeong would love a day to explore," said Yunho. "Got it," said Xion before running out of the kitchen as more of the others started walking into the kitchen.

Dongmyeong soon joined them in the kitchen, yawning as he flopped down on one of the barstools by the kitchen island. "A trip would be nice," he said, rubbing his eyes to wake himself up some. "I don't know if I can last the whole day, but I'll try," he said. "Don't let it get you down," said Yunho. "We'll accommodate for you, don't worry," he said.

"Take the truck, it's not like you're going across the country," said Xiao. "I'll get the keys," said Dongmyeong as he got up, going to get the car keys for the truck. "Changhyun did you want to go?" Asked Xiao as Changhyun entered the kitchen last. "Where am I going?" Asked Changhyun as he blinked. "To Washington DC for a day trip," said Xiao. "Sure," said Changhyun. "Get breakfast before you get ready," said Xiao as Dongmyeong and Xion came back.

"I guess I'll go supervise and be the driver," said Hwanhee as he scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, might as well," Xiao said with a chuckle. "I am perfectly able to drive now," Changhyun said with a scowl. "Don't think you know the way to DC though," said Hwanhee, earning a sigh from Changhyun. "I don't, but," Changhyun grumbled.

After breakfast Hwanhee and Changhyun went to get the truck ready while the others went to get ready for the day trip.

"Thanks for letting me come along," said Changhyun. "It was Xiao's idea,' said Hwanhee. "We couldn't leave you out of it when you're basically on house arrest while waiting on your next missions," he said. "Right," said Changhyun.

 

~



The drive to Washington DC was a surprisingly quiet one, with Hwanhee and Changhyun sitting in the front, Dongmyeong and Xion sitting in the back with the back window open and Yunho, MK and Gunmin sitting in the truck bed. Yunho was oddly quiet during the drive, looking up at the sky as he was lost in his own thoughts.
 

~



Their trip started at the memorials for the fallen soldiers, which left a solemn mood for everyone. Yunho especially, considering his position in the pack. Xion was feeling the same way as Yunho, as they were both soldiers in their own rights, and the others left them alone for a bit to pay their respects to the fallen soldiers.

After that they went to visit the Washington monument, looking at the reflecting pool and taking pictures. Yunho took most of the pictures of the group, saving them for the memories of the time. MK was having a great time, smiling and laughing. Changhyun was relaxed, joking around with the others. Dongmyeong and Hwanhee stayed back, letting the younger members of the group have their fun.

The next area everyone went to was the different museums, starting with the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. MK was the most intrigued by this one, as he was able to find interesting things about the past. Xion was with him, dragging Changhyun and Gunmin along as they went through the exhibits. Yunho stayed back with Hwanhee and Dongmyeong, letting them explore.

After visiting the other museums in the area Hwanhee drove everyone to the mall to get a late lunch, sitting down and eating after getting their food. The mood was somber for once, Yunho being in his thoughts while the others talked excitedly about the last museum and which place to go to next.

"Are you okay?" Asked Dongmyeong as everyone decided to do a bit of shopping after lunch while Yunho and Dongmyeong stayed back and let the others go ahead. "I'm fine," said Yunho. "It's just been a weird day for me I guess," he said.

"It's not Gunmin is it?" Asked Dongmyeong. "No," said Yunho as he shook his head. "He's been fine the whole time," he said. "It's just been a weird day for me," he said again, letting out a sigh as he turned to Dongmyeong. Dongmyeong observed Yunho with a slight head tilt before shaking his head. "Come on," he said. "The day's almost over," he said, turning and walking off with Yunho following after him.

 

~



After all the exploring was done and Dongmyeong was ready to fall asleep on his feet everyone got ready to head home. After getting souvenirs for everyone Hwanhee drove home.
 

~



"I enjoyed the day," said Yunho as he joined MK and Gunmin in the guest room after they got back to the pack house. "I did too," said MK as he nodded. Gunmin nodded in agreement. "We'll have to head home soon," said Yunho as he sighed. "Is that what you've been moping about?" Asked MK. "No, seeing Seonghwa again has reminded me how long it's been since I've last seen San is all," said Yunho.

"I'm sure he'll come for a visit soon," said MK. "Wasn't he just going to meet up with the others?" He asked. "He would've messaged me when he was done with the meeting," said Yunho. "I'm sure it's still taking a bit," said MK. "Give it a few more days," he said. "Yeah yeah," hummed Yunho.