Chapter 18

The Soldier and His Protector

"Just take her," said MK as he pushed the human towards Chani who took a generous step back. "God damn it," said Chani as he sighed. "So it's this human," he said. "Fine," he said. "Daeyeol will be here soon," he said. "We need to go back for Yunho," said MK. "I have a transformed Gunmin in the backseat and judging from that Yunho is dying, or close to dead," he said. "Go," said Chani. "We have it here," he said. "If he dies, it's on this damn human," growled MK as he got back into the jeep. He quickly sped off, back to the blood den they had left Yunho at.
 

~



Voices, who was that. Mingi? Or Yeosang. Yunho was fading, his body failing him as he opened his one functioning eye to look up at the worried face of Mingi. "Stay with me!" Yelled Mingi, his voice muffled as Yunho passed out again.
 

~



MK and Gunmin reached the location of the blood den, hopping out of the jeep as soon as MK put the jeep in park and Gunmin bolted straight for the forest, with MK following after him. Mingi was there with Yeosang, with Mingi doing everything he could to try and save Yunho in time for his healing to kick in. "Stay with me damn it!" Shouted Mingi as he did everything he could to stop the bleeding.

"Is there anything I can do?" Asked MK as he leaned down beside MIngi. "Keep him stable," said Mingi as he put an ear to Yunho's chest to check for a heartbeat. "We just have to keep him stable enough to get his healing to kick in," he said.

Yeosang was off to the side, examining the building that the blood den was in. "I wondered why this place was familiar," he mumbled. Gunmin went to stand beside Yeosang, feeling useless as they really couldn't do anything to help Yunho at the moment.

"Ah, forget it," said Yeosang as he turned around to watch the combined efforts of Mingi and MK as they tried to keep Yunho alive. Gunmin whimpered softly, looking back at Yunho. "He'll make it," said Yeosang. "You're still here, so he'll make it," he said, patting Gunmin on the head.

 

~



Yunho stood before San, the both of them just having a standoff, neither wanting to make the first move.

"Go back to them Yunho," said San, putting his hands in his pants pockets. "They need you more than you need me," he said. "Especially Gunmin," he added.

"Am I dead?" Asked Yunho. "Not quite," said San. "Your contract with Gunmin is keeping you alive it seems," he hummed.

"Why, why did you do it?" Asked Yunho. "I was already dying," said San as he shrugged his shoulders. "We knew this day would come anyway," he said. "It was just a matter of time," he said. Yunho hummed in response.

"Go back to them," San said again. "They need you now more than anything," he said. "You're their leader, and Mingi needs you," he said. "Gunmin needs you," he added. "I'll be okay, okay?" He asked. "Just go," he said.

"I'll be back," said Yunho as he turned around, starting to walk off. "Hopefully not anytime soon," said San as he watched Yunho go. "The next time I see you, you better be old and wrinkled alright?!" He called after Yunho.

Yunho turned his head, nodding and waving back to San before breaking off into a sprint, letting instinct lead him back to his body.

 

~



Yunho woke with a gasp, sitting up abruptly as he coughed up blood. "Oi," said Mingi as he gently pushed Yunho back down after getting him to turn his head to cough so he wouldn't choke on his own blood.

"Where am I?" Rasped Yunho as he tried to get his breathing under control. "You're back at the pack house," said MIngi. "Your healing finally managed to kick in, so we moved you," he said. "Your eye is okay, Subin managed to make sure it was healing correctly before bandaging it up," he said. "I thought San destroyed that eye," said Yunho as he moved his hand to gently touch the bandaged side of his face.

"...He did," said Mingi. "You can't see out of it I don't think, but at least you won't have an empty eye socket?" He asked. Yunho let out a bitter laugh as he fell back against the bed. "Leave it to you to find the good things in a bad situation," he said. Mingi cracked a smile, shaking his head in amusement before getting up. "I'm going to let the others know you're awake," he said.

"Wait, where's Gunmin?" Asked Yunho. "He'll be up to see you soon," said Mingi. "He's downstairs with the others at the moment," he said before leaving the room.

 

~



"Idiot," said MK as he and Gunmin were the first to enter the room. "You left us all worried," he said. "I'm sorry," said Yunho as he sighed. "At least I can work on training with my blind spot?" He asked. "Already looking for ways to compensate for the blind spot huh?" Asked MK, looking serious though the relief was evident in his voice. Gunmin shook his head in amusement.

"We'll have to at this point right?" Asked Yunho. "I'm not giving up hunting for something as simple as a blind spot," he said, scoffing. "We'll help you along the way, right Gunmin?" Asked MK. Gunmin nodded.

"It's good to see you alive," said MK. "We nearly lost you there," he added. "I know, and I'm sorry," said Yunho as he nodded. "Wontak gave you a break to recover, and stuff," he said. "We'll come back stronger than ever, just watch," said Yunho. "We will, we will," said MK as he nodded.

"What happened to the human?" Asked Yunho. "We handed her off to Chani like we were told, I don't know what happened after that because we sped back to come get you but," he said, shrugging. "Chani said they came to get her though, so we'll deal with it when we're needed again," he said. Yunho nodded.

 

~



The others came over to check on Yunho throughout the day, with Subin being the last person as he was checking under his bandages to make sure things were okay. "I guess I joined the gang of scarred pack members huh?" Asked Yunho as he joked about his situation. Subin chuckled lightly, carefully rewrapping the bandages over his eye. "On the face yeah, but everywhere else? I don't think anyone beats Hanse or Chan in that department," he said. Yunho hummed in agreement.

"Also, Jongho, Hongjoong and Wooyoung are on their way back," said Subin. "They want to help you, and want to plan a funeral for San," he said. "They do?" Asked Yunho. "He was your brother," said Subin. "Even Kris said this was okay," he said. "I... Thank you," said Yunho. Subin nodded, patting Yunho on the shoulder before getting up. "I'll let you get some rest, let me know if your eye starts hurting," he said. Yunho nodded.

 

~



"How are you feeling, really?" Asked Hongjoong as he stood next to Yunho as he stood at the shore of the lake behind the pack house. "I could be better to be honest," said Yunho as he turned to look at Hongjoong who was standing to his left. "It's going to be hard to adjust to being blind in one eye, but at least the bandages are off," he said.

"Who's going to train with you to work with the handicap?" Asked Hongjoong. "Seungwoo," said Yunho. "I asked him to, since he wouldn't go easy on me," he said. "You never liked the idea of people going easy on you," hummed Hongjoong. "Definitely not," hummed Yunho as he turned to look back at the water.