Chapter 10

The Soldier and His Protector

"So where are we staying again?" Asked MK as he stretched in the passenger seat, noticing that they were back within Canadian borders. "Youngbin has an apartment we can stay in for the time being," said Yunho as he shrugged. "We'll be staying with a vampire?" Asked MK. "No, that isn't even his place," said Yunho. "Coincidentally this is near where Minseok was last seen," he said. "I see," hummed MK.

"Your vampire is a bit out of the way I think," said Yunho. "But we'll have to ask Youngbin where he is specifically," he said. "We're not too much farther now," said MK. "No, just an hour to go I think," said Yunho.

"So how are you going to take care of Minseok?" Asked MK. "Well," said Yunho as he looked into the rearview mirror at Gunmin who was looking out the window. "This is Gunmin's first mission," he said. "I'm only here for backup," he said. "The apartment we're staying in is in a building across from the one where Minseok is at," he said. "Apparently," he added. "Gunmin will have to make the kill himself," he said.

Gunmin looked at Yunho in surprise, blinking in question. "Get him up to the roof of the apartment building," said Yunho. "From there you'll be able to get him," he said. "I'm going to be across the street on the roof with my rifle," he said. "I won't let anything happen to you, but since you're practically indestructible we're testing this," he said. Gunmin nodded, looking back out the window.

"What's my role in it?" Asked MK. "You'll be the one to bring him up to the roof," said Yunho. "Gunmin will wait on you there," he said. "You want me to watch his death?" Asked MK. "No," said Yunho. "But if I just sent Gunmin he'd know what was up," he said.

 

~



Once they reached the apartment building they were staying in Yunho parked the Jeep nearby, getting out and letting Gunmin out before closing the door and going to grab his bags. MK was hesitant, though he eventually followed after Yunho and Gunmin as they got their things and headed inside.

"What floor are we going to?" Asked MK. "The 5th floor," said Yunho as he went up to the counter to ask for the right room key before heading to the elevators with Gunmin and MK following after him. "How many floors does this place have?" Asked MK. "20?" Asked Yunho. "There's elevators so," he said, shrugging. "How many does the other apartment building have?" Asked MK. "At least 15," said Yunho. "I looked at it through google maps, it looks like we'll be able to do something," he said.

 

~



The first night in the apartment wasn't too bad, at least to MK's standards. He was used to living in cheap motels during his travels so an apartment was like luxury to him. He wondered how this mission would go for him, as he and Minseok were on pretty good terms when Minseok had left. At least, he had thought so.

"Well, at least I'm not the one doing it," hummed MK as he sat with Yunho on the couch. "I guess," said Yunho as he watched something on tv. Gunmin was lying down in the loveseat playing a game on Yunho's phone half listening to the conversation.

"Would you do it though?" Asked MK. "Kill an ex packmate because of a mission?" Asked Yunho. MK nodded. "No," said Yunho. "I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it," he said. "Even now," he said. "As I continue being a werewolf hunter it's what I told Yedam when I joined the organization," he said. "I refuse to kill anyone in the pack, regardless of whether left on their own or Kris kicked them out," he said.

"Is that why Gunmin is doing it?" Asked MK. "Partially," said Yunho. "It's also his first mission, officially anyway," he added. "The one rule I have is what's keeping me grounded anyway," he said. "I don't know how much I would change the moment I started killing people in the pack," he said. MK hummed in response.

 

~



Yunho stood before his home pack, blood splattered across his face and neck as he stared down his father. He had killed his own mother in cold blood, even if she was apparently innocent, but it didn't matter now. He was getting revenge on the pack that betrayed him. Wontak's wolf form walked over, his much larger size intimidating the pack before him.

Gunmin watched this play out, his hands in his pockets as he found himself amongst the ranks of the hunters in this raid. He wasn't physically there of course, but here he was watching as Yunho got his revenge.

"You didn't think I'd still be living huh?" Asked San as he walked into view, smirking at the surprised look on their father's face. Yunho bared his teeth in a smirk before leaping forward, the others in this raid soon following after his lead.

 

~



Gunmin woke with a start, falling off the loveseat he was sleeping in with a thump as he hit the ground. He looked annoyed as he pushed himself up, feeling the fading burning sensation as the dream finished transferring to him. He looked around the room, blinking in surprise at how dark it was. He sighed and got to his feet, wandering into the kitchen to get something to drink before returning to the loveseat to try and sleep again.
 

~



Seoho sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance, almost glaring at the way the others had treated Keonhee. He knew better than to step in though, since Keonhee refused to be treated like someone different. He was Gunhak's beta after all, and even he had to keep up appearances.

"Seoho," said Youngjo, bringing Seoho out of his thoughts as he turned to said person. "This would stop if you tell them you know," he said softly, patting the younger on the shoulder. Seoho grumbled in response, shaking his head.

"What was that?" Asked Youngjo. "He won't let me step in," said Seoho as he sighed, wiping his face with his hands. "Gunhak needs to stop giving him a hard time, but Keonhee doesn't need me to say that apparently," he said.

"Keonhee needs to learn to control his temper," said Youngjo. "Maybe then Gunhak will stop giving him a hard time," he said. "I know," said Seoho as he sighed again.

 

~



Yunho sat up in surprise, wondering where the hell that dream had come from. "Damn it Gunmin," he said, flopping back down onto the bed. At least it was better than a nightmare, but he didn't know which was better. Watching as someone watched his mate go further and further into insanity or his own nightmares. He went to check the time on his phone, his arm flailing on the nightstand beside the bed for a second before he realized that Gunmin still had his phone. He turned over onto his side, staring off into the darkness for a few minutes before sleep took him again.