Chapter 2

The Soldier and His Protector

Yunho woke to an empty bed, turning over and seeing that Gunmin wasn't there. He sat up and grabbed his phone, looking at the time and seeing it was 8 am. He sighed and got up, fixing his bed and putting the two plushies back in their places before going into the bathroom to get ready for the day.
 

~



Yunho entered the kitchen after getting ready for the day, spotting Wooseok and Gunmin sitting in the kitchen, the both of them drinking coffee. "Ah, this is where you went," he said, going to grab his cup and went to get a cup of coffee. "Did you go outside again last night?" He asked, turning to Wooseok. "Yeah," said Wooseok as he shrugged. "I see," said Yunho as he nodded.

"Seungwoo's at Starbucks with Sejun again?" Asked Yunho. Wooseok nodded. "I said I'd join them when you woke up, since apparently Wontak wanted to speak to you," he said. "I heard," hummed Yunho. "I'll go get my keys then, and we can go," he said, going to do so.

 

~



"Where's Byungchan?" Asked Yunho as he drove his jeep into Toronto. Gunmin sat in the backseat on the driver's side with Wooseok sitting in the passenger seat. "He's visiting JR," said Wooseok. "Said something about having a meeting so he left with Seungsik and Subin," he said. "Hanse and Chan are somewhere, probably camping again or something," he said.

"Well, those two really needed to get out of the house," Yunho said with a shake of his head, earning a chuckle from Wooseok. "Chan is getting better at keeping his anger in check though," said Wooseok. "True," said Yunho. "Jun has been a really good influence to him," he said. "They are siblings after all," said Wooseok. "True," said Yunho.

When they got there Wontak was waiting outside with a cup of coffee in his hands, sipping it as Yunho pulled up to the curb, turning off the jeep once he was in park. Wooseok got out, nodding to Wontak before heading into the Starbucks. Yunho took the keys out of the ignition and got out, pushing the driver's seat forward and letting Gunmin out before closing the door and walking over to Wontak, pressing the lock button on his keys to make sure the jeep was locked.

"I see you got a new ride," said Wontak as he set his cup down on the outside windowsill. "Hongjoong got it for me after I returned from my last mission a month ago," said Yunho as he shrugged, putting his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"Where is your leader anyway?" Asked Wontak. "Back in Asia," said Yunho as he shrugged, heading into Starbucks with Gunmin and Wontak following after him, Wontak grabbing his cup of coffee before heading inside. Yunho waved to Yuto, Sejun and Yanan who were behind the counter and Gunmin went to place their orders. "The usual please Yuto!" Yunho called. "Got it," Yuto called back before taking the money from Gunmin. He processed the order and handed him back the change and Gunmin went to wait on their orders.

Yunho sat down on the couches by the windows with Wontak sitting across from him, setting down his cup of coffee on the table beside his chair.

"So what brings you back to Toronto?" Asked Yunho. "Just checking up on you," said Wontak as he shrugged, reaching into his pocket and tossing a shot glass at Yunho after taking it out. Yunho caught it, examining it with a raised eyebrow. "You really need to ask Jun next time because I already have one from China courtesy of him," he said, setting the shot glass down on the table between them.

"Of course he did," Wontak said with a scoff, earning a grin from Yunho as he chuckled. "You'll be getting another present in the mail soon," said Wontak, earning a groan from Yunho. "Another god damn plushie?" Yunho asked, scowling. "Of course," Wontak said, the corners of lips turning up in a teasing grin. "Enough will you? I need to rearrange my pile again thanks to the other ones," Yunho said, sighing as he leaned his head back to look up at the ceiling. He could hear the quiet snickers from the others in the shop, causing him to let out a deep sigh at them.

Gunmin tried to keep a straight face as he walked over, handing Yunho his coffee before sitting down next to him. "Thank god you guys know this isn't some weird thing for me," said Yunho as he accepted the coffee and moved his head to look forward as he took a sip. "Of course," said Wontak. "Everyone has their way of coping, yours just happens to be with plushies," he said. Yunho hummed in response as he put the cup down on the table, turning to Wontak.

"Now, what's your real reason for coming to see me?" Asked Yunho, his expression serious. The mood immediately turned tense as Wontak turned serious. "Well, you know what happened with Gunmin, or supposedly happened anyway," said Wontak. "As long as you keep him under your contract he's safe," he said. "Right," said Yunho.

"Well, he's not a registered hunter," said Wontak. "Did you expect him to?" Asked Yunho as he straightened up in his seat. "No, but if Yedam hasn't said anything yet I'm sure it's fine," said Wontak. "However, he can't interfere with your missions, if and when you get them," he said. "Unless he registers of course," he added.

"That's up to Gunmin at this point," said Yunho as he turned to Gunmin who shrugged. Gunmin didn't care either way, but being able to do something when something goes wrong would be nice he supposed. When Wontak looked at him with a questioning look, Gunmin nodded. Gunmin wanted to become a hunter.

"You want to become one?" Asked Wontak. Gunmin nodded again. "Alright, I'm sure you'll let Yedam know as soon as possible," said Wontak as he looked at Yunho. "I will," said Yunho as he nodded.

"He's supposed to stop by after the meeting," Seungwoo called from across the coffee shop. "Needed to talk to Wontak about something concerning faction matters or something," he said.

"It probably has to do with the new team I managed to get myself on," said Yunho. "With Dongmyeong and his brother? Probably," hummed Wontak. "I know you don't work with them unless you have missions in the same area but," he said, shrugging. "I'm sure he's curious as to why you of all people wanted to work with them," he said. "Considering that Dongmyeong hasn't taken on a team since becoming a vampire hunter anyway," he added.

"Isn't Dongmyeong technically in one already with Hwanhee and his brother?" Asked Yunho. "Yes, but Hwanhee is the leader of that team due to his experience," said Wontak. "This is the first time that he's taken on a team and is leader of it," he added.

"Speaking of, how's Changhyun been?" Asked Yunho. "He's... Surviving I suppose," Wontak said, sighing. "Xiao demanded a break, and I gave him one but Changhyun is not the type to just sit and do nothing for months at a time," he said. "Dongmyeong's seemingly put him in his place but it's up in the air at this point how things go," he said.

"And Hyeongjun?" Asked Yunho, wondering how the third oldest in the faction was doing after the big injury a few months back. "He's pretty much healed now, considering he took on a team," said Wontak. "Hyeongjun and Minhee are training them as we speak, though I'm not sure how things are gonna go from that point," he said.

 

~



"Wow, even Yixing showed up to the meeting," said Yunho when JR, Yedam, Yixing and Byungchan entered the coffee shop with their respective betas a few hours later. "It must've been really important," hummed Wontak as he got up, grabbing his empty cup and going to throw it away. "I need to go," he said. "I'll catch up with Yedam later, I stayed longer than I should've," he said before leaving the coffee shop.

Yedam walked over after getting his order with Kookheon and Yuvin, occupying the spot that Wontak had just vacated as he sat down with a sigh. "Long meeting?" Asked Yunho. "You wouldn't believe it," said Yedam as he took a sip of his coffee. "I assume Wontak let you know of the circumstances," he said. "Yeah," said Yunho. Kookheon and Yuvin went to sit at a nearby table, having a quiet conversation about who knows what.

"What'd he want?" Asked Yedam. "He said yes to becoming a hunter," said Yunho. "Good, I already got the papers," said Yedam. "Already?" Asked Yunho. "What'd you think the big meeting was about?" Asked Yedam. "Considering Gunmin was an outsider, we had to take all precautions," he said. "And, MK is getting assigned to you anyway, so congrats, you have your own team," he said.

"I have no choice with that one do I?" Asked Yunho. "No," said Yedam. "JR was getting concerned, as well as the rest of his side of the pack," he said. "A break will do him good," he said. "Wontak was supposed to give you a break anyway since we're still dealing with things considering your new companion," he said. "I get it," said Yunho.

Byungchan walked over after getting his coffee, nodding to Yedam before turning to Yunho. "Take the next flight to ia in a week, Kris granted you a visit to the twins with MK," he said. "Kangmin granted him a long break so," he added. "Will do," said Yunho as he nodded.

Gunmin let out a breath that caused Yunho to turn to him. He shook his head and Yunho got up. "Come on," said Yunho. "We spent the day here," he said. "We got some planning to do," he said, leaving the Starbucks. Gunmin got up, bowing to Yedam and Byungchan before following after Yunho.