Chapter 13

The Soldier and His Protector

Yunho looked at San, wondering what his brother was going to say to him. "I'm not one to tell you what to do, you know this," said San. "But you need to chill out with the missions," he said. "A break will do you good you know," he said.

"I'm not one to sit still, you know this," said Yunho. "But you need to at some point, do you even realize how much these missions are destroying your mental health?" Snapped San, causing Yunho to flinch.

"I can't," said Yunho. "You can," said San as he put his hands on Yunho's shoulders, forcing Yunho to look at him. "You can," he repeated. "I'm not asking you to quit, I'm asking you to take a break," he said.

"Please, do it for me okay?" Asked San. Yunho nodded, shrugging San's hands off his shoulders. "I'm only looking out for you, you know this," said San as he turned away from Yunho. "Just please put yourself before the pack for once," he said. "And, I can take care of myself, okay?" He asked.

 

~



Gunmin watched Yunho as he paced back and forth in their shared room, looking increasingly agitated as he walked passed Gunmin. "They wouldn't understand," grumbled Yunho as he wiped his palms on his pants. "They wouldn't," he said, pausing to look at Gunmin who just stared at him with a blank look.

"Only San can get any information out of me," said Yunho. "I can't just open my heart out to them, I want to," he said, sighing as he went to flop down on the computer chair by his desk.

"I can't," said Yunho. "I can't talk to them," he said. Gunmin could only look on in silence, wishing he could say something to comfort Yunho. Or at least try and get him to agree to talk to the others.

 

~



"Damn it just leave me alone!" Snapped Yunho. "I'm fine, okay?!" He asked, daring Hongjoong to try and question his mental state. "Talking about this will help you know," said Hongjoong. "I'm not asking because I'm your pack leader," he added. "I'm asking because I care," he said.

"The last people to care kicked San and I to the curb and vampires captured us," snapped Yunho. "Just leave me out of this crap okay?" He asked. "I don't want to talk about it," he said. Hongjoong sighed, shaking his head. "Okay, okay," he said.

 

~



Seungwoo knocked on the door, soon opening it and stepping into the room. "They sent you to talk to me?" Asked Yunho as he turned to Seungwoo. Seungwoo's normally stoic expression softened as he stood in front of Yunho. "I'm not here to talk," he said. "I'm here to give a shoulder to lean on if you need it okay?" He asked.

Yunho looked up at Seungwoo, looking skeptical. "We're both the same in a way," said Seungwoo. "I used to hide my emotions too," he said. "No one knows what we are thinking except ourselves," he said. "Sometimes, just having someone there for you is enough," he said. "I guess," hummed Yunho as he sighed.

"Gunmin's here too you know," said Seungwoo. "I know," said Yunho as he looked at Gunmin who had turned to listen to their conversation. "I rant to him sometimes," said Yunho. "Mostly when we're alone though," he added. "Hm," hummed Seungwoo.

 

~



Jongho was the one to approach Yunho after Hongjoong, and it honestly pissed him off even more. He tried to not snap at the youngest however, because he had more self control than that. Even someone as hardened as himself cared for the youngest in his own way.

"I only care," said Jongho as he sat beside Yunho who was sitting on the back deck looking up at the stars. "I know you do," hummed Yunho as he turned his head to look at Jongho. "I'm fine, I promise," he added.

"Yunho," said Jongho, trying to choose his next words carefully. "I'm here, okay?" He asked. "If you need to fight it out or whatever," he added. "Hongjoong won't like that," Yunho said with a scoff. "I can handle myself," Jongho said with a huff. The corners of Yunho's lips went up in a smile.

"I don't doubt it," said Yunho. "But even I don't want to face his wrath when concerning you," he said. "Hongjoong can get over it," Jongho said, shaking his head. "If anything he'll be fine with it considering how well I can bounce back from spars," he said. Yunho hummed in response.

 

~



The talk with Seungwoo seemed to help, though Yunho still kept himself closed off from everyone, except Gunmin it seemed. He wasn't sure what to do considering Gunmin was with him almost 24/7.

"I know I can be overbearing sometimes," said Yunho as he sat beside Gunmin on the bench a few feet from the lake behind the pack house. "But if you need a break from me I understand," he said. Gunmin turned his head to look at Yunho who just stared out at the water in thought.

"I've thought about this for a while now," said Yunho. "Maybe I do need help," he said. "This is something my mind can only take for so long," he said. "I'll go then," he said, getting up. Gunmin stopped Yunho from leaving by grabbing his arm, causing Yunho to turn to him, his head tilting to the side in question.

"You want me to stay?" Asked Yunho. Gunmin nodded. "Okay," said Yunho as he sat down again. Gunmin looked relieved, turning to look at the water again, letting his arm drop to the side and letting his hand rest in the space between them. Yunho relaxed in his seat, looking out at the water again.

 

~



"How do you handle all that anger?" Asked Wooyoung as he sat beside Yunho on the couch as he watched a movie. "I just- I don't know," hummed Yunho. "Sparring was always a route to take when I needed to get rid of my pent up anger," he said.

"I'm not a soldier like you though," said Wooyoung. "That's true," said Yunho. "But sometimes a good spar will take your mind off of things," he said. "Or you can just join Hanse and Chan when they go on their camping trips," he said. "I could do that could I?" Hummed Wooyoung.

 

~



In the end it didn't matter to them where things went next. Yunho was ready to accept his fate when it came, and Gunmin would be right there with him until the end. They both put pack before everyone else, and things would work out eventually.