Chapter 8

The Soldier and His Protector

"If you said the name Wooyoung I would've known exactly who you were talking about," said Chani as he appeared at the coffee shop a few days later with Ace and Ayno while Yunho was sitting down enjoying a caramel macchiato with Gunmin enjoying a green tea Frappuccino. "Well, Yeosang wouldn't elaborate on who he was meeting so," Yunho said, shrugging.

Chani sighed before going to sit down with Hoetaek who was reading his ever present newspaper. Ace shook his head and sat across from Yunho and Ayno sat across from Gunmin. "Yeosang and Mingi will be here in a few minutes," said Yunho as he nodded to Ace. "No hurry," hummed Ace as he studied Yunho with a small tilt of his head before turning away and looking out at the traffic out the windows. Yunho looked through his phone to see what was going on with the chats and had to pause for a second when something Chani said finally sunk in.

"Your name is Wooyoung?" Asked Yunho as he looked at Ace. "Yep," said Ace as he shrugged. "Ace is what I'm more known as but Wooyoung is my human name, as your kind put it," he said. "I see," hummed Yunho.

Yeosang, Mingi and San entered the coffee shop a few minutes later, Mingi going to go get a drink while Yeosang and San walked over to Yunho's table. Yunho and Gunmin got up, letting Yeosang and San take their seats before going to sit with Chani and Hoetaek. Mingi wasn't sure where he was supposed to sit, so he decided to join Yunho, Gunmin, Chani and Hoetaek for the time being until they needed him.

 

~



"Whatever they're talking about it's serious," said Mingi as he looked at the front and back page of the newspaper Hoetaek was reading. "It's always serious when it concerns vampires," said Chani. "When it is never serious though," said Hoetaek as he peeked out from his newspaper to look at Mingi.

"Did Yeosang keep you out of the meetings?" Asked Hoetaek. "For the most part," said Mingi. "Said I didn't need to be a part of it, but I get involved when they need me to," he said.

"You're just there in case they need you for anything," said Yunho. "Believe me, I was the same way for a while before Wooyoung joined us," he said. "Being a soldier kind of puts you in that position," he said. "Now that Wooyoung is with us I don't get to do the same things you do, but I occasionally join in on meetings when it involves other hunters," he said.

A standoff seemed to happen as San got to his feet, glaring at Ayno. "Oi," said San as Yunho got up, ready to go defend his brother if needed. Gunmin had also gotten up, ready to defend Yunho in case this escalated to a physical fight. San waved down any hostility from Yunho who sat down, albeit reluctantly as he glared at Ayno. Gunmin was more reluctant but Yunho shaking his head made Gunmin sit down.

 

~



"Sorry," said San. "My brother is protective," he said. "That's quite the understatement San," said Ace as he crossed his arms over his chest. San sat down, shrugging as he looked at Ace. "I guess it's what you perceive it is," he said. "Believe me," said Yeosang. "San's normally very composed," he said.

"I don't trust many people," said San. "So watch it," he said. "I haven't had to kill our kind yet, so I guess that's a plus," he said. "Unlike your brother it seems," said Ace. "Yunho's doing it for a reason," said San. "You leave my brother out of this," he hissed. "Protective indeed," hummed Ayno.

 

~



San walked over to Yunho after their meeting, huffing out a sigh as he flopped down on the chair beside Yunho. "Everything alright?" Asked Yunho. "It's stupid," grumbled San. "Nothing's gonna happen though, but I have to go see Youngbin again, I'll be back in a few weeks," he said.

"Again?" Asked Yunho. "But you just got back," he said, blinking in surprise. "I'll be back as soon as I can," said San. "I'm sorry," he said. "It's okay," said Yunho as he sighed. "You got to be here for a bit anyway," he said.

Gunmin tapped his fingers on the table, listening to the two brothers talk. Something about this goodbye was bothering Yunho and it was affecting him in some way. He tried to convey comfort through the contract, and that caused Yunho to turn to Gunmin. "I-" said Yunho as he blinked. "Thanks," he said, sighing as he relaxed, slumping down in his seat slightly.

San patted his shoulder some before getting up. "I'll be back as soon as I can okay?" He asked. Yunho nodded.

 

~



MK came over a few days after the meeting and Yunho walked with him outside to sit on the back deck where Gunmin was sitting and reading a book. "JR asked you to come over?" Asked Yunho. "No, I came over myself," said MK. "Is that okay?" He asked. "Yeah, it's fine," said Yunho.

"I guess Ace finally showed up huh?" Asked MK. "How'd you know the guy anyway?" Asked Yunho. "Ayno's my best friend," said MK as he shrugged. "Well, was," he added. "We had a falling out when he found out I was becoming a vampire hunter," he said. "I see," hummed Yunho.

"We grew up together, before we were turned years apart," said MK. "He was turned before me, and I was introduced to our world," he said. "He wanted me to stay out of it though, but when Jinyoung found out he ended up having to turn me," he said.

"No human is supposed to know of our world, unless they get dragged into it like Taeseon and his team had," said Yunho. "Ayno pretty much broke a law when he told you," he said.

"He didn't have a choice," said MK as he shrugged. "He was leaving, and at the time I didn't even know he was with his coven that he is in now, and he let me know why," he said. "Still," hummed Yunho.

"It's the past, I'm here now and I can't really do much about it," said MK. "Did you and Ayno ever just talk it out?" Asked Yunho. "Not really," said MK. "I wanted to, when I contacted him but I ended up backing out at the last minute," he said. "Maybe a talk would do you some good," said Yunho. "Maybe," hummed MK.