Chapter 3

The Soldier and His Protector

A sigh left Yunho as he gripped the backpack strap that hung off his shoulder, feeling deja vu as he stood looking out the window at the plane that would take them to ia. Gunmin was standing beside him, silent as ever, and MK was on his other side looking out at the sky passed the plane.

"Are you alright?" Asked MK. "I'm fine," said Yunho. "Just a bit apprehensive is all," he said. "At least we're in business class?" Asked MK, earning a chuckle from Yunho. "Of course," said Yunho. "I hate economy," he said. "Doesn't everyone though?" Asked MK as he chuckled. Gunmin's amusement was felt through the contract and Yunho couldn't help the small laugh that escaped him. "It seems Gunmin agrees too," said Yunho as MK gave him a questioning look. "Ah," hummed MK.

 

~



Hwanhee had been the one to get them from the airport, bringing Xion along for the adventure. When Xion saw Gunmin he froze for a second before running over, almost knocking Yunho over as he tackled him. "Welcome back!" He said. "Oi," said Yunho as he steadied himself, laughing as he hugged Xion back. "It's good to be back," he said, letting go of Xion and stepping back. Hwanhee kept a straight face but his eyes showed amusement as he walked over.

"You've changed," said Hwanhee. "I guess I have huh?" Asked Yunho. "Last time we saw each other was just before I came back from the year long trip I think," he said. "Yeah," hummed Hwanhee. "Getting a contract really changes people it seems," said Yunho. "Yeosang used to not be as friendly as he is now," he said.

"Come on, you can ride in the truck bed," said Hwanhee as they walked out to the truck after getting everyone's suitcases. "MK will be staying in the guest room for the moment, but you're welcome to spend time with the others," he said. MK nodded.

"Sorry," said Yunho as he scratched the back of his head. "I have my place in the twins and Hwanwoong's room since Xion doesn't get much sleep," he said. "Gunmin will be with you though," he added. "Since everyone is still wary of him I assume," he added. "They are," said Xion. "It's why I tagged along," he said. "To make sure nothing went wrong," he said.

After getting settled in the truck bed Hwanhee drove home, Yunho, MK and Gunmin sitting in the truck bed while XIon sat in the back with the back window open to talk to them. It was a mostly silent drive but Yunho got to enjoy the drive back to the pack house. Gunmin got to observe a different side to Yunho that he hadn't seen before. Maybe it was good that they got to go on this small vacation.

 

~



Xiao and Dongmyeong were standing outside in the front yard waiting on their return, Xiao in his alpha stance and Dongmyeong tensing on instinct when Gunmin was the first to get out, hopping down and grabbing one of their three suitcases and setting it down while Yunho and MK passed them over before hopping down from the truck themselves after grabbing their backpacks.

"How long is this vacation of yours?" Asked Xiao as Yunho walked over with MK and Gunmin flanking him. "It depends on MK at this point," said Yunho. "Kris granted us a visit, but we weren't told how long we could stay," he said. Hwanhee and Xion walked over, wondering what Xiao would say to that.

Xiao sighed, relaxing out of his alpha stance, grinning at Yunho who raised an eyebrow. "Stay as long as you need," said Xiao. "However, that one needs to be under observation," he said, motioning to Gunmin who tensed at his words, looking at Yunho. "No worries," said Yunho, his expression turning serious as he gripped the handle on his suitcase. "He won't do anything, not when I can easily end him," he said.

"You don't mind staying in the guest room then?" Asked Xiao. "For a few days anyway," he added. Yunho sighed. "For the sake of keeping the peace, that's fine," he said. "As much as I am willing to head back and leave MK here, they're both my responsibility since I'm the team leader," he said. Xiao nodded.

 

~



Surprisingly the rest of the pack Gunmin used to be a part of was not as antagonistic towards him as he thought they would be. Tolerant maybe, but not outright hateful towards him. He knew it had to do with Yunho being there, and that was fine with him. He'd rather that then have the hateful stares he got after they'd found out that he was still alive.

Changhyun was friendly enough, even if a bit stir crazy due to being on pretty much house arrest when he wasn't on missions. MK was doing fine with them, as far as Gunmin had observed the way he interacted with the twins and Hwanhee. Yunho had surprised him, as even Yunho carried a cold atmosphere around him when at home. Now he seemed more carefree than before.

After a couple of days of observations and making sure that Gunmin wouldn't try anything stupid, they finally let Yunho and MK switch rooms. It didn't matter to Gunmin though, as he was fine with the younger werewolf, but Yunho was his contract owner and he was able to pick up on the longing that Yunho had to be back in the room with Hwanwoong and the twins. It was the most familiar room to Yunho, and Gunmin felt bad for making him stay in the guest room with him due to prejudice to something he had apparently done. Even if he had proven himself to be innocent.

 

~



"Seonghwa!" Said Yunho when said vampire showed up during one of their late night sessions outside. "Wow, Hangyul finally let you out of the country?" Asked Xion as he snickered, earning a sigh from Seonghwa. "I had cabin fever, and I needed to check up on things in the states anyway," said Seonghwa.

"I'm surprised," said MK. "Because last I recall 'shifters don't ever let their mates out of their sight," he said. "I managed to convince him," said Seonghwa as he scratched the back of his head. "I came over after hearing you three were out of Kris's territory for once," he said.

"A vacation is doing us good to be honest with you," said MK. "I needed it, and so did Yunho," he said. "I didn't need it as much as you did but," Yunho said, shrugging. "Same difference," said MK, earning a chuckle from Yunho.