Chapter 12

The Soldier and His Protector

"I can see why Hanse and Chan like camping so much," said Yunho as he looked up at the sky. "You think so?" Asked MK as he leaned against the front bumper of the jeep. "Mhm," hummed Yunho as he looked down at the fading fire. Gunmin was leaning against a nearby tree, staring off into space as he looked everywhere but the fire.

"Can we stay one night out here at least?" Asked Yunho as he turned to MK before turning to Gunmin. Gunmin turned to Yunho, nodding in consent. "I'm fine with staying," said MK as he nodded. "Thanks," said Yunho as he turned back to look at the fading fire, letting out a deep sigh before sitting down on the ground.

 

~



San appeared with Ace and Ayno sometime during the night, long after the fire burned out. Everyone was pretty much still in their usual spots, though Gunmin was sitting down now while MK was lying down on the hood of the jeep looking up at the stars after making sure that Yunho was okay with it.

"Yunho," said San. "Hey San," said Yunho as he looked back at his brother before turning to look up at the sky. "I-I," he said, choking on his words as he hugged his knees. San looked sympathetic as he bent down and brought Yunho into his arms in a comforting hug. "It's okay," he said, as Yunho started sobbing into his chest. MK sat up, looking concerned for Yunho as Gunmin got to his feet, wary of Ace and Ayno as he kept an eye on Yunho and San.

"You three were close friends huh?" Asked Ace as he turned to MK who shrugged in response. "We were in a way," said MK. "We were grouped together because we were the hunters but we took care of each other when we did have missions together," he said. Ace hummed in response.

"I think he was the youngest of the three of us," said MK. "Yunho was being the concerning oldest and I was just stuck in the middle," he said. "Everyone has a soft spot for their youngest," hummed Ayno as he nodded in agreement. "I know our coven would be pissed if something happened to our youngest," he said.

"Who made the kill?" Asked San once he got Yunho to calm down and fall asleep. "It was supposed to be Gunmin, but Yunho made the kill," said MK. "Yedam had asked for Yunho to make this kill," he said. "Even if it was Gunmin's mission," he said, hopping down from the hood of the jeep.

San picked up Yunho, bringing him over to the jeep and MK moved to open the passenger side door and opened it. San carefully put Yunho inside the jeep before moving away and letting MK shut the door. "Go home, we'll clean up this mess," said San. Gunmin walked over, looking at MK who shrugged.

"I can drive if you want," said MK. Gunmin nodded and got into the jeep after MK moved the driver's seat forward and sat in the back. MK got into the driver's seat and made sure Yunho's seatbelt was buckled before buckling his seatbelt and starting the jeep. He waved to Ace, Ayno and San before doing a 3 point turn in the campsite and driving off, starting the journey home.

 

~



"I think this friendship runs deeper than they imply," said Ace once they were alone. "Friends, thats all they were," said San as he turned to the fire pit to examine the ashes. "Minseok was the youngest in the entire pack I believe, so everyone was looking out for him," he said.

"Do you know the reason why he left?" Asked Ayno. "I have a theory, but I don't want to be wrong about it," said San. "Hm," hummed Ace. "In the end he was becoming uncontrollable," he said. "Those damn chips are going to be the end of times I know it," said Ayno. "We'll see how things go," said San. "The government can't control everyone," he hummed.

 

~



Yunho and San were visiting MK and Minseok, the latter looking worse for wear after his last mission. "How are things?" Asked Yunho as he stood beside Minseok's bed. "I'm fine," said Minseok as he looked up at Yunho. "Still got some fight in you it seems," said San. "Of course," Minseok said, laughing before coughing into his fist as he turned away to clear his throat.

Gunmin was observing this dream, his head tilting to the side as he watched it play out. He didn't know where this was going, but he'd watch along like he usually did.

MK shrugged from his bed. "We got out alive, that's what matters," he said. "Thanks for coming to our rescue by the way," he said to San. "I hate my kind just as much as I hate yours, no offense, so don't worry about it," said San as he scratched the back of his head.

"Hunters gotta stick together," said Yunho. "That's right, you were a hunter before everything happened," hummed Minseok. San shrugged like it was no big deal.

A wholesome dream, if there ever was one. Gunmin shook his head as the dream ended, and he was kicked out.

 

~



Gunmin woke with a start, falling off the backseat with a thump, moving to sit up before getting up and sitting back down on the backseat with a huff. "You okay back there?" Asked MK as he looked in the rearview mirror. Gunmin nodded, looking out the windshield to see where they were.

"We're back in the states, Yunho's still asleep so," MK said, shrugging. "I'm guessing you got another dream of his," he said. Gunmin nodded again, maneuvering to lean against the side window in the back to prop up his feet. "I'll stop at the next rest stop to stretch our legs and wake up Yunho," he said.

"...I'm already awake," said Yunho as he opened his eyes, stretching in the passenger seat as he yawned. "We can switch who's driving next though," he said. "Sure," said MK.

 

~



MK ended up switching with Yunho who needed to drive to get his mind clear of the past events. MK and Gunmin had switched seats and Gunmin kept Yunho company in the front while MK went to sleep in the back seat.

"It's going to continue being like this," said Yunho. "I guess this is what Minseok felt, when he left," he said. "I don't know, every conclusion I come up with come up empty," he said, sighing. Gunmin nodded along, half listening to the conversation as he looked out the passenger side window.

"Hyojin is not going to like what we're going to tell him," said Yunho as he changed lanes. "I guess by this point we shouldn't be surprised though," he said. "Even we have expiration dates," he said. "It's all a matter of time at this point," he hummed. Gunmin nodded in agreement, looking out the windshield at the traffic in front of them.