By Your Side

Imperfectly Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7:01 pm

 

A deep sigh left your lips as you threw your head back on the headrest of the couch while lots of thoughts were going in your mind. 

 

It's been almost a week to that day when Baekhyun visited you, and when the news had broke out suddenly by your mom, it had left you baffled but before you could even process it, he had gotten a call from his dad to meet him at the airport since they were supposed to left. 

 

He had left like he usually does, by kissing your forehead and so, and after that, you took your time to grasp the situation and had a talk with your mom about it. 

 

She had told you that Ms. Choi was the one who had informed her about the scholarship to NYU when both of them met at her boutique. 

 

And, she also knew how much you wanted to go there since it was your dream but you were always hesitating because of her as you didn't want to leave her alone but without you knowing, she had sent an email already where after your semesters marks would get you in. 

 

Hence, you had passed with good marks as usual and now there was an email at your door and in your account too, but you didn't check it yet. 

 

You were still thinking about it, but there was another thing itching your mind and that was, Baekhyun and his usual calm behavior whenever you both talked on voice calls or video calls but that's exactly what you found unusual. 

 

He hasn't talked about it yet with you, whenever you would attempt to open this topic, he would get a call or would dodge it and you also thought that he's probably busy with his work or wanted to take some time like you did. 

 

However, your mind was full of strange scenarios because of your long left fear of people leaving had hit the back of your mind in a way that you were overthinking now. 

 

Last night, you got a message saying that he'd be back by 4 in the evening and now, you were anxious to face him because he left a message that he's arrived a while ago. 

 

"Ji-Ah." 

 

You turned to your side to see your mom's face filled with concern and a glint of guilt in her eyes as you sat up straight while taking her hand in yours. "Mom, why are you feeling guilty? You just did what you thought would make me happy." 

 

"Even so, I should have asked you." 

 

"And I definitely would have said no, because of the exact reason you didn't ask me." You pointed out, and she sighed, caressing your hair. "My sweetie." 

 

"Did you both talk it out yet?" 

 

She questioned, to which you shook your head with a dejected sigh. "He must be taking his time or what if he's mad at me for not telling him? Because whenever I tried to talk about it, he didn't seem like he was ready to talk." 

 

"Then why don't you go and ask him, yourself?" She suggested and you bit your lip, shaking your head. "I am scared, what if he's really mad at me?" 

 

"Come here." She pulled you closer to hug you as you laid your head on her chest while she patted your head. "Didn't you say, you won't run away anymore? But right now you are hesitating again, Ji-Ah." 

 

You closed your eyes, tightening the hug as her words hit you on the spot at how right she was. "I know, but I don't know what to do." 

 

"Listen to me." She spoke, as she made you lean away to hold your shoulders while looking at you in your eyes seriously. "Every relationship needs communication, be it short or long but it is a key to every healthy relationship and if you want Baekhyun to be by your side, then you gotta be brave and use the key." 

 

And, as if her words had knocked some sense in your mind, you felt yourself nodding to her and instantly stood up before taking your muffler to wrap it around your neck. 

 

"That's my daughter." She smiled, proudly and you smiled back before kissing her cheek. "And that's my best mom, thank you!" 

 

Sliding your arms in your denim jacket, you jogged towards the front door where you stopped by her shout. 

 

"Ji-Ah, here!" 

 

Turning around, you saw her throwing her car keys towards you as you caught it perfectly in your hands before looking at her as she grinned. "Take the car, it'll be fast." 

 

"Love you, mom!" 

 

"Me too!" 

 

Opening the door, you jogged outside to the car before settling inside as you started the engine and drove to your destination. 

 

                    ________________

 

7:46 pm

 

As the door of the elevator opened, your heart accelerated in a rapid speed as you got off the elevator before taking a deep breath, while walking towards his apartment and stopped infront of the front door. 

 

Your hand clenched, as you slowly brought it up to the doorbell while biting your lip but then it hit you, that he had told his apartment's password. 

 

And as you were about to press the password, the door opened suddenly, jolting your body as you took a step back where the door was pushed back slowly, revealing Baekhyun clad in his white sweater and ripped jeans with his hair slightly damp as if he just took a shower. 

 

His eyes were enlarged in surprise as yours as you both kept staring at eachother for a moment to grasp the situation and in that moment, whatever was bugging you was being faded from your mind because seeing him right there was just making you realize how much you have missed him. 

 

His eyes softened, with a glint of adoration and yearning of your presence and you, that he was missing where, slowly, your welled up as your lips quivered and instantly hugged him tightly. 

 

Though he was surprised, but his arm was quick to wrap it around you gently while his other hand was holding the knob of the door and you buried your head in his chest as your emotions flowed like water swiftly in his arms. 

 

"What-" 

 

"I swear, I didn't know about it." You cut him off and continued your ramble. "Ms. Choi talked to mom about it and mom did it secretly because I would have refused because I wanted to go there but I really didn't know about it-" 

 

"Ji-Ah-" 

 

"Oh god, you're still mad at me." You sniffled, and you heard him closing the door behind you before he made you lean away where his heart dropped seeing your bloodshot eyes greeting him. 

 

He sighed, wiping your tears slowly. "I'm not mad at you, why would you even think that?" 

 

"You called me Ji-Ah." 

 

His eyes turned confused. "Isn't that your name?" 

 

"You call me, Daisy." You whined, lightly pushing him away, only to pull him closer by clutching his sweater and he bit his lip, smiling. "Okay, Daisy, come here." 

 

And he had pulled you in his embrace again, with his arms holding you gently yet tightly and his head leaning against yours as he swayed your bodies slowly. 

 

You leaned your head to look at him. "Are…we…. Are we going to… break up?" 

 

"What? No. Not now, not ever and never." His voice was calm yet deep as he frowned deeply then his eyes softened, as he cupped your cheek with his ever warm smile. "We have gone through so much just to be where we are now, and I would be doomed if I ever let you go." 

 

"So why didn't you let me talk about it?" You frowned, and his forehead creased. "I was on my way to you so we can talk and I even messaged you that I'll be there later." 

 

You blinked, confusingly. "You did? I guess I forgot to check since I was thinking too much." 

 

He nodded, with a chuckle and your cheeks flushed in embarrassment as you tried to pull away where he tightened his grip with confused eyes. "Where are you going?" 

 

"Home, so you can come to my place." You looked away and he lightly laughed. "Are you serious? Not like you are embarrassed right now?" 

 

"Shut up." You slapped his arm and he sighed. "And the reason why I didn't let you talk was because I was so busy with work that my mind was all over the place and this was really important so I wanted to do it face to face." 

 

"You should have told me beforehand so I wouldn't have panicked this much." You whined, your eyes filling with tears again and he nodded, with a guilty face. "I'm sorry, I was the one who promised to make sure not to see these tears in your eyes yet I am the one who made you cry. Damn, I just committed a crime." 

 

You looked down for a moment before nodding as you looked at him. "Of course, you did." 

 

"So, what should I do now?" 

 

"Make it up to me." You crossed your arms, with a sniffle and his eyes slightly widened where he leaned in and you frowned, then realizing his action before slapping his cheek lightly. 

 

"Ow." He pouted, as he leaned back with a confused look and you glared at him. "Not this, you dummy!"

 

His head tilted. "Then?" 

 

"Hug me." You demanded, and his lips curved in a soft smile as he nodded. "As you say, your highness." 

 

You wrapped your arms around his neck as he hugged your waist to lift you up with your legs locked around his waist tightly while your face buried in his neck. 

 

"You dork." 

 

"Idiot." 

 

"Fool." 

 

You mumbled, against his neck as you cried and he kept humming to your every word leaving your lips with an open heart as he patted your back gently while walking towards his room. 

 

Walking inside, he sat at the edge of his bed with you in his arms, where your locked legs around his waist hit the mattress while he waited, till you were done with your crying session. 

 

As he felt you calming down, he reached out to grab some tissues from the nightstand and handed you which you took as you covered your eyes with the tissues while leaning your head away, with your one arm still around his neck. 

 

You heard him opening the drawer, and with a perplexed mind, you removed the tissue from your eyes to look at him, only to be greeted by a chocolate in his hand as he held it out to you. 

 

"What?" An unconscious laugh left your lips as you took the chocolate from him. "When did you even get this?" 

 

"I saw it on the way and it reminded me of you so I bought it." He trailed off, with a sheepish grin as he shrugged. "But who knew, it would get used in this way." 

 

"Is that my fault?" You shoved it in your mouth as a smile crept on your lips tasting the sweetness before your eyes widened, as you swallowed. "I ruined your shirt." 

 

"Way to go." He nodded, lazily and chuckled as you tried to clean the place with tissue but gave him a sheepish look. "You might want to change it." 

 

"Or you just want to see me shirtless?" He smirked, raising his brows and you rolled your eyes chuckling. "I can't with you." 

 

He let out a sigh of relief. "Finally." 

 

"What?" 

 

"I missed my dimple smile." He placed his palm on your back to pull you closer as he leaned in to kiss your cheek softly before pressing his lips on your forehead. "And I missed my Daisy." 

 

"Is that why you made me cry?" You tilted your head with a mocking look and he tilted his head to the other side with a pout on his lips, as he tucked the hair behind your ear. "Were you that scared?" 

 

"You bet." You raised your eyebrows, before looking away to fiddle with the white shirt underneath his sweater by his neck. "I literally couldn't sleep at night because I had so many weird thoughts in my mind and I was actually scared to face you too because I thought you were mad at me because someone really didn't bother to tell me." 

 

His forehead creased at the familiar words, and you squinted your eyes at him where he just gave a nod to which you sighed. "But then mom knocked some sense into me and I'm here." 

 

He stared at you for a moment before leaning his forehead on your shoulder to which your hand caressed his hair as he let out a sigh. 

 

"If we're being honest here, then let me just say it." He paused to lean away to look at you as his eyes bored into yours intently. "Actually… it was surprising news so I was taking some time to adapt to it, and many strange thoughts ran in my head too." 

 

You just nodded, giving him his time to continue as he sighed. "It hasn't been that long since we've been together, so what if we get distant? My parents separation flashed right infront of my eyes and it scared me even more but I didn't want to make the same mistake of miscommunication between us." 

 

"And that we're different from them, you're Ji-Ah and I'm Baekhyun." He reached out to caress your cheek softly as a warm smile crept on his lips. "So no matter what it is or however it is, we can overcome anything like we always have, together." 

 

And your lips curved in a warm smile as you nodded, before slapping his shoulder and he hissed. "The day isn't far when you would break my arm into pieces." 

 

You glared at him. "You deserve it." 

 

"Can't argue with that." He pouted, but his heart melted when you rubbed his shoulder where you hit him, as he took your hand to kiss your knuckles. "I should have told you before but whenever we talked, even for a few minutes, I just kept thinking about it so I couldn't." 

 

"You're forgiven." You crossed your arms, and his eyes lit up. "So, did you miss me?" 

 

"Nope." You looked away, and he leaned in closer. "Really?" 

 

You palmed his cheek to push him away gently. "No." 

 

"No?" He leaned in closer again to which you looked back at him to see a playful grin on his face and you chuckled, pulling him in a hug. "Of course, I missed you."

 

"That's what I thought." He tightened the grip around your waist, and snuggled against your neck. "But… Like how you ran all the way here, you must be really in love with me?" 

 

With a scowl, you leaned away your head and scoffed. "Seriously?" 

 

"You don't? Because I do." He said, leaning in to kiss the corner of your lips as he smiled. "I'm so much in love with you, Ji-Ah." 

 

You couldn't help but smile and nodded, kissing his forehead. "I am, I do love you so much." 

 

And his smile widened, as he bored his eyes into yours deeply, where he slowly leaned in, brushing his nose against yours, causing you to close your eyes before you felt his lips meeting yours softly. 

 

Your hand pressed against his shoulder, slid behind his nap to thread your fingers through his hair as you responded to him, while feeling his hand caressing your waist, and the warmth sensation approaching your chest yet again in a pleasant way. 

 

Leaning away, he pressed his forehead against yours with your eyes closed, before you hugged him tightly. "I'm sorry, for jumping to conclusions on my own." 

 

"Yeah, I'm sorry too." He mumbled, against your neck and you hummed. "Yeah, so let's fix it." 

 

"Okay, let's fix it together." 

 

                 __________________

 

9:33 pm

 

Baekhyun placed his phone beside his pillow after texting your mom that you could be a little late since you were sleeping and it was past 8:30 already so, he had informed her incase she'd be worried, though she wasn't that worried since you were with him but he still made sure to let her know. 

 

As he faced your peaceful sleeping self, facing him and changed into his blue sweater with loose pajamas, his lips curved in a soft smile at the sight as he propped his head on his hand, not being able to take his eyes off. 

 

He always found it strange. 

 

His eyes found you beautiful in every way, be it your grumpy face, your pouty face, your smiling face, or the way your big eyes would glare at him and right now, your peaceful sleeping figure looking so calm yet mesmerizing. 

 

Reaching out, the back of his fingers traced your cheek bone softly, to remove the bangs away from your forehead slowly as he leaned in to press his lips on your forehead then to your cheek. 

 

A frown appeared between your eyebrows, as you stirred where he felt your leg moving underneath the duvet over you both and as if his instincts worked, his hand had grabbed your leg above the duvet to which he let out a chuckle. 

 

And, you changed your position by turning to the other side with your back facing him, while his hand moved to caress your hair gently while putting the hair around your shoulder to your back. 

 

In the moment, a sudden loud sound from your phone echoed in the silent room, causing him to jolt up while you stirred in your sleep and with a sigh, he leaned forward with his arm stretching above you to the nightstand to grab your phone making his figure hover above yours. 

 

The phone continuously rang till he was able to reach it only to get the halt of the ringing and with a roll of his eyes, he attempted to lean back where his head tilted down to glance at you to find your eyes staring back at him. 

 

Both of you stared at eachother silently, before your gaze trailed down a little to which brought a frown on your forehead. "You… changed your shirt." 

 

The black shirt was clinging onto him perfectly and you didn't even have to think twice about his upcoming teasing remark when the corner of his lips turned in a playful smirk. 

 

"Why? Are you disappointed?" 

 

Too lazy and sleepy to even snap back at him, you shifted, making Baekhyun lean back on the bed where you moved closer to him by wrapping your arm and leg around his waist while resting your head on his shoulder in his neck while his arm draped underneath your neck. 

 

"Why aren't you sleeping?" You questioned, in an audible voice as your eyes closed to go back to sleep before feeling his hand caressing your shoulder while his cheek leaning against forehead. 

 

"I slept enough earlier but you seemed to be still sleepy?" He questioned back and you hummed, sliding your hand up to pat his chest. "My Byun here is comfortable." 

 

He scoffed, taking your hand to thread his fingers through yours. "Why am I Byun again?" 

 

"Because it's cute." 

 

"You meant to say that I am cute?" 

 

You hummed and he scoffed. "I am not cute, I am y." 

 

A chuckle left your lips. "Sure." 

 

"Yah, I am okay?" He pressed back with a whine and you hummed. "Okay, as you say." 

 

"Seriously." He groaned, and in a second, you were pinned down with his face hovering above yours, leaving your sleep to disappear in a moment as your wide open eyes stared at him surprised. 

 

"Should I show you if I am cute," He trailed off, as his eyes averted to your lips. "Or y?" 

 

And your heart drummed loudly behind your chest with a warm sensation behind, leaving your cheeks to burn in a crimson shade and your breath hitched when you stared back in his intense eyes. 

 

His head tilted as he leaned in closer, while feeling his hand on the curve of your waist and his lips were just inches away from yours, but before something could happen, you palmed your mouth swiftly. 

 

He stopped, his eyes widened but turned serious as he leaned back to look at you with a mad expression. 

 

"Not this again." He groaned, a frown deepening on his face and you blinked a couple of times. "You can't kiss me right now."

 

"And why can't I?" 

 

"Because…" You closed your eyes for a moment before opening to give him a stern look. "Because I just woke up and I haven't brushed, you idiot." 

 

His forehead creased, staring at you with a blank look and a chuckle left his lips. "Like I care." 

 

"But I do!" You interjected and he stared at you with a done look as he rolled his eyes. "You think you can stop me?" 

 

Before you react, he leaned down to kiss the back of your hand, slowly yet affectionately where you held your breath as he leaned back to pull away your hand slowly. 

 

All of a sudden, a growling sound erupted taking you both aback, and both of you stared at eachother blankly before he broke out in an amused chuckle. 

 

"Wow, reminds me of the day when we got locked for the first time." He commented, and you rolled your eyes pushing him away to sit with a grumpy face. 

 

"Oh, how adorable." He pulled your cheek softly with a giggle and with a little whine, you pulled away to get off the bed as you walked into the washroom with his laugh erupting behind in the room. 

 

After a few minutes, you stepped out of the washroom while wiping your face with the towel, before leaving it on the chair and approached his bed where your eyes twitched in confusion to see him glaring at the phone screen and it was your phone. 

 

"My phones going to melt at this point." You let out a snort but stopped when he raised his head to give you a look where you sat at the edge of the bed, infront of him. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter