The Calm Before Storm

Imperfectly Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

8:39 am

 

Clutching the strap of your backpack, you walked through the entrance gate of your University while noticing those different types of gazes on you leaving your insides to twitch in an uneasy feeling. 

 

Inhaling and exhaling deeply to calm yourself, you continued to walk and ignore the stares before hearing Sarang's voice from behind to which brought a smile on your lips as your head tilted towards her to find her striding to you. 

 

Her arm reached out to wrap it around your shoulder as she marched alongside you. "So? How was your day during your skipping class?" 

 

"You know how it was, Sarang." You gave her a duh look to which she nodded, with a smug expression. "Alright, I see." 

 

A sigh left your lips as your eyes averted to your phone with an expectant hope to get a call or text from him but there was nothing and you began to get worried. 

 

Is he even okay? 

 

Last night, after the embarrassing scene, he dropped you off like he usually does, but during the ride, he couldn't keep his snicker to himself as he kept chuckling from time to time recalling the scene while you were left there embarrassed until you asked him to stop but who were you kidding? 

 

In that moment, he kept sniffing to which you asked him to have a warm shower before sleeping while he just took this opportunity to tease you. 

 

However, this morning you didn't get any morning texts from him like he always does which made you confused yet concerned while you were hesitant to reach out to him wondering if you were going overboard. 

 

"Why do you have a long face?" Sarang questioned, snapping you out as she looked at your phone confusingly. "Are you waiting for a call?" 

 

You stared at her hesitantly. "Uh.. Um.. It's about Baekhyun… I mean I know… maybe I am thinking too much but… it's just… he hasn't messaged me like he does everyday… so I'm kind of worried… I mean I know he's not obligated to do it and maybe I am overthinking it-" 

 

"Ji-Ah, relax." Sarang held your shoulders to make you face her as she stared at you worryingly. "It's not a crime to be worried about someone, okay? And if you're about someone you love then it's more than okay." 

 

You stared at her for a moment before exhaling deeply before giving her a nod while she smiled. "If you're that worried, why don't you call him to ask?" 

 

"Should I?" You mumbled, biting your lip before tapping the screen with your thumb and dialed his number with a rapid heartbeat where you got a response with a robotic voice saying it's switched off. 

 

"It's switched off." You stared at the screen with a disappointed face and Sarang hummed. "He might be busy… you know? Don't you worry too much, Ji." 

 

"Right." You nodded to yourself before you felt her staring at you blankly to which you gave him a confused look. "What?" 

 

"Something's different." She peeked through your face for a while and you rolled your eyes. "Geez, I got my bangs cut last night." 

 

"Right!" She exclaimed, smiling. "It looks good." 

 

As you both were about to walk ahead, you heard another voice from behind to stop you both. 

 

"Supergirl!" 

 

Seulgi jogged towards you both with her brightest smile and you smiled back at her before looking behind her to catch a glimpse of him with Kyungsoo and Chanyeol but he wasn't there. 

 

"We had so much fun last night, right?" She chirped and you nodded before Chanyeol spoke. "And here I thought I was the only one who danced terribly, Ji-Ah, let's have a competition next time." 

 

You chuckled and Kyungsoo gave him a look. "Yeah? And be a laughing stock too." 

 

"Yah, Sarang, join us next time." Seulgi asked her and Sarang nodded, enthusiastically. "Absolutely, I am a terrific dancer!" 

 

They laughed, while you smiled but still looked behind them to see if he was coming or not as this unusual worry wasn't going away somehow. 

 

"Looking for your lover boy?" Chanyeol questioned, with a hint of playfulness and you looked at him surprised. "Yes, no, I mean, he's always with you… did something happen?" 

 

As three of them exchanged a mischievous look with eachother before Chanyeol cleared his throat, masking a serious look. "He's got a fever." 

 

"What?!" Your eyes enlarged. "How? Is he very sick?" 

 

"Yes, very." Seulgi nodded, a worried look plastered on her face which she pretended to come out as and you stared at them confused. "Then why are you not with him? Is it okay to leave him alone?" 

 

"Actually, he doesn't like too much noise while he's not feeling well and knowing how these kids are, he wouldn't let us in." Kyungsoo stated, pointing at Chanyeol and Seulgi who immediately glared at him as Seulgi slapped his arm. "What do you mean by that? I don't make noise!" 

 

"Yeah, sure." He nodded, lazily before giving you an assuring smile. "Don't worry, he's going to be fine soon and he won't even get disturbed since he's phone is switched off, so he's going to get some rest." 

 

You nodded, smiling half-heartedly at him as even after knowing the reason behind, your mind wasn't at peace as you were worried about him. 

 

Four of you began to walk together towards your departments as their chattering continued till they reached there while you were silent, since your mind kept wandering towards him. 

 

"Wanna go and meet him?" 

 

You turned to Seulgi who had an expectant expression and you blinked, giving her a blank look. "Yes, I mean, no, it's okay, really." 

 

Her forehead creased, while a little smirk made its way on the corner of her lips as she understood the words behind your hesitant mind and nodded. "Okay, then, I'll see you later!"

 

She began to walk away with Sarang while Chanyeol and Kyungsoo walked inside while your lips parted to stop her but couldn't to which your shoulders slumped dejected and you got frustrated at yourself. 

 

Ah, Ji-Ah, you can't even do that?! 

 

As an unconscious pout formed on your lips, you began to walk inside only to stop by a notification on your phone to check which was from Seulgi to which you tilt your head towards her to find her walking away. 

 

Checking her message, your lips parted to find an address and before you could even react, another message popped up. 

 

Seulgi- Yeah! You're welcome<3

 

Your lips curved upwards as you looked back at her to find her waving her arm in the air while walking ahead to which you just chuckled, before making your way inside. 

 

                         _____________________

 

 

2:14 PM 

 

Heaving a deep sigh, you stared at the huge building infront of you with a gaped look and gulped, as the building looked too luxurious to make you reconsider your thought of coming here. 

 

It was something you had never expected to think about as today you were hoping that some classes would get canceled or the time would just fly by quickly because you were being impatient to sit back there and worrying about him while couldn't even ask him anything. 

 

You didn't visit the library like how you usually do, and as soon as your classes were over, you hurriedly went to a restaurant to get a porridge to which you had asked your mom about it, though her phone always remains on a silent mode, you had called her secretary only to ask her about it. 

 

Some strange things you were doing today, and all because of that guy who had made it happen to make you unpredictable like this. 

 

"No, should I go or not?" You muttered, with your head tilting up to gaze at the building and your grip tightened around the straps of your backpack. 

 

"I don't know!" You grumbled, pouting. "I'm already here so no going back now, Ji-Ah!" 

 

You nodded to yourself and sighed before walking inside the building where a guard greeted you but got confused as he had never seen you before. He questioned you about being here as this building's security was tight and you just told him that you were a friend of Baekhyun.

 

He nodded right away and let you in as you walked inside getting on the elevator before pressing the fifth floor. Seconds pass by and you reach the floor before stopping right infront of his apartment door with a nervous heart.

 

Taking a deep breath, you raised your hand to press the doorbell but stopped and retreated your hand back then again doing it before pressing it while waiting for it to open but no movement. 

 

You did it again and still no movement, causing you to bite your thumb nail nervously then your lips before you decided to walk away as you thought he'd be resting and you didn't want to disturb him. 

 

However, before you could even take a step, the door opened with a creak sound, jolting your body as you glanced back to find Baekhyun in his Grey sweatpants, with his hair slightly damped on his forehead because of the sweat, his eyes droopy as if he just woke up. 

 

But how the hell did he manage to still look good? 

 

Nonetheless, you felt guilty for waking him up but worried at his condition as your lips parted to utter some words. 

 

"Daisy?" His voice uttered, in a husky whisper as his droopy eyes went wide to check if he wasn't hallucinating you, standing at his front door and his confusing eyes lit up widely. 

 

"You're here." He breathed out, with a hint of relief, and happiness as if you were the person he wanted to see at the moment and right now, he couldn't be happier. 

 

A frown plastered on your face. "You should have opened your door when I had walked away." 

 

And he wasn't dreaming. You were here, with your remarks which he missed or say, you. 

 

A lazy chuckle left his lips as he tried to not to stir with the headache approaching him. "Why? Were you going to play, ring the bell and run away, game with me?" 

 

"So ironic." You shook your head. "I guess, you're feeling better since you can throw a sarcasm?" 

 

He tried to stay awake since the headache and the medicine he took earlier was still making him feel drowsy to which he leaned his head at the door frame for him to stay steady. 

 

"What are you doing here?" 

 

"To check if you are living well or not." You remarked, with a hint of sarcasm behind and his eyes squinted. "You meanie, is that something you should say to a sick person?" 

 

"And is that a question you ask to someone standing at your door?" You tilted your head, feeling concern as he couldn't even stand properly and his head jolted up as he stood straight. "Oh, I am sorry, please come in." 

 

"I just got too happy." He spoke, helping himself to step aside for you but you immediately held his arm to push him inside gently to which he looked at you surprised as you closed the door behind. 

 

"And." Withdrawing your hands from him to place them either side of your waist and stared at him sternly. "Why is your phone switched off? How can you be so irresponsible? What if someone wants to call you to check up on you but your switched off phone would just make them worry more." 

 

He stared at you baffled. "Were you worried about me?" 

 

"Obviously-" You abruptly stopped, realising before swallowing. "I mean, we went to the beach and then that place and that's why you got this fever." 

 

"Really?" His head tilted. "You came to check up on me because you were feeling guilty? Not because you were worried? And you want me to believe that?" 

 

You your lips, looking away nervously. "Believe whatever you want then." 

 

"Okay, then I believe that you are here because you missed me, Daisy." He uttered, his lips curving into a lazy grin before he took your hand. "How's your hand?" 

 

"That's not what you should be worrying about." You spoke, feeling his hand burning against your skin. "Have you had lunch yet? What about medicine?" 

 

He shook his head. "I don't feel like eating and I already took medicine." 

 

"That's normal." You said but then widened your eyes at him. "You took medicine without eating something? Are you serious? You shouldn't take medicine on your empty stomach-" 

 

He let out a chuckle, making you stop as you gave him a confused look. "Why are you smiling?" 

 

"You, nagging me like this…" He trailed off, stepping closer. "It feels nice." 

 

You stared at him blankly. "Taking medicine in your empty stomach has led to side effects to your mind and that's why you have become more cheesy." 

 

His lips formed into a pout. "Meanie." 

 

"This won't do, where is the kitchen?" You questioned, taking off your backpack and he pointed with his chin. "To your left." 

 

Nodding, you dashed towards the direction before placing your backpack on the couch of the living room and headed to the kitchen while Baekhyun took a few minutes to follow you. 

 

And as soon as he entered, his torso immediately bent down as he placed something infront of your feet before standing straight. "Wear these." 

 

He pointed at the slippers and your heart fluttered at his gentle gesture even at a moment like this before you slipped your feet onto the comfortable slippers. "Thank you." 

 

"You have cut your hair." He spoke, staring at you before brushing his warm fingers through your bangs. "You look cute." 

 

You felt your cheeks burning. "How are you feeling? Your hands are still warm, so-" 

 

You stopped rambling when you saw his face getting pale and eyes getting drowsy but before you could ask him, he stumbled forward to which you stepped back in reflex where your lower back hit the counter behind and his head fell on your shoulder. 

 

You held your breath for a second before snapping out. "Are you serious?" 

 

"My head hurts, Daisy." His voice muffled against your neck as he snuggled against your skin while wrapping his arms around your torso and you breathed out, nervously. "And my back hurts." 

 

Holding his shoulder, you made him lean away a little to which his face stopped inches away from yours but it wasn't time to think about that as you instantly leaned your head back. "Let me check." 

 

Placing your palm against his forehead then his cheek to feel the burning sensation against your skin made you let out a gasp unconsciously. "You're so hot!" 

 

His eyes slightly opened as he scrunched his nose. "I have heard it a lot but hearing from you feels good." 

 

You couldn't help but roll your eyes at him before making him stand straight to hold him since he was feeling dizzy. "Let's get you in bed." 

 

And his eyes opened wide, as if his dizziness flew away before he let out a subtle gasp dramatically. "You can't just take advantage of the situation, Daisy." 

 

"Shut up, Byun, before I punch your face." You glared at the male who doesn't leave a chance to flirt even at this condition which just made you shake your head at him in disbelief. 

 

Stepping inside in his room, you helped him stride towards his bed to make him sit down as he immediately dropped down on his back while his eyes closed, almost drowning himself into sleep. 

 

"Hey, you can't sleep." You uttered, softly to make him open his eyes to see your figure hovering above him with a concerned look to which he squinted his eyes. "I'll be fine if I get some sleep." 

 

"Your fever is high, and you should take medicine but not in your empty stomach so you should probably have some porridge." You said, tilting your head to which he shook his head, whining. "No, I don't want to." 

 

"What do you mean, you don't want to?" You mimicked him before looking at him seriously. "I wasn't asking, I am going to get some so don't you dare sleep on me." 

 

As you were about to turn around, he held your wrist gently and you sighed, caressing his forehead softly. "I'll be back." 

 

He watched your figure going out of the room, before hearing some sound from the kitchen and a thought crossed his mind. You were here, nagging at him, taking care of him, worrying about him, roaming around his place like you own it, and your presence, all of it, was just making him happy. 

 

A while later, he heard some faint sound to which he opened his eyes to find you placing a tray on the nightstand before his eyes locked with yours and you gestured him to sit up while pointing at the tray. 

 

His face scrunched, as he shook his head throwing a tantrum like a baby. "I don't want to, and I am not hungry." 

 

You placed your hands either side of your waist, giving him a stern look. "If you want your headache to go away, you gotta eat this porridge so you can take medicine." 

 

Though, your statement was accurate but his fever was making him behave like a stubborn child as he shook his head. "Nope." 

 

How do I handle this man? 

 

You looked up for a moment before looking at him with a smile. "I'll give you candy, if you eat." 

 

He gave you a 'Are you serious' look. "What am I? Five?" 

 

"You're acting like one right now." You shrugged, and he pouted before his eyes lit up. "How about a kiss?" 

 

"How about a slap?" You responded, almost immediately and he grumbled, covering his face with the duvet. "You are so mean." 

 

You held back your smile. "Fine, if you don't want to eat, I am leaving then." 

 

And he removed the duvet over his face to look at you with a disbelief masked on his face. "Are you threatening me?" 

 

"It's working, isn't it?" You tilted your head, with a satisfied smile and he narrowed his eyes before sitting up lazily to lean his back against the headboard behind. "You're no fun, Daisy." 

 

"I know." You took the tray and placed it on his lap and he let out a big sigh gazing at the bowl filled with porridge to which you gave him a confused look. "What? Don't stare at it like that, this is very delicious once you have it." 

 

His eyes looked up at you with an expectant expression. "I don't have strength in my hands so I can't eat it." 

 

You tilted your head, looking at him with a done look. "Seriously?" 

 

He scrunched his nose lightly, nodding making you chuckle lightly as you took the spoon while stirring it before pushing it infront of his mouth to which he took it in his mouth without whining this time. 

 

"It's good, right?" You questioned and he shrugged. "I can't taste it." 

 

"Thanks for being honest." You remarked, rolling your eyes to which he chuckled as you continued to feed him like you were feeding a child.

 

"Good boy, I'll give you the candy later." You patted his head after placing the tray back on the nightstand and he glared at you with a pout. "Stop with that." 

 

"Okay, now take this medicine and go to sleep." You handed him the supplement and he gulped it down before he laid back comfortably and closed his eyes but then his hand grasped your wrist. 

 

"Don't leave when I'm asleep." He mumbled, as the sleep was taking over him and he fell asleep while holding your wrist to which you took a seat beside him at the edge of the bed while staring at his sleeping face. 

 

"Geez, just get well soon already, fever really doesn't suit you." You mumbled, placing your fist against your temple with the support of your elbow on your leg as you slid off your wrist from his grasp to hold his warm hand firmly. 

 

As a few minutes passed by, you stayed still, in the silence and listening to his steady breath and watched him sleeping peacefully as he kept frowning because of the headache probably until he began to stir again as his grip on your hand tightened. 

 

He frowned, mumbling incoherent words to which you slightly leaned forward to hear it. "Do you need something?" 

 

"Daisy.." He breathed out, making your heart skip a beat before you leaned your ear against him. "Just… just like me back already." 

 

His words left your world to stop for a moment, you could feel your heartbeat quickening against your chest as you looked back at him blankly and leaned away slowly to stare at him silently for a moment. 

 

"I do." 

 

The words left your lips before you could even think of it, your lips curving upwards slowly as you reached out to caress the frown between his eyebrows to make it disappear. 

 

How can I not? Your presence around me, your little flirty remarks, the way you always put your whole attention towards me, the way you respect my feelings, the way you treat me so carefully, look at me so lovingly, all of that, just made it hard not to like you. 

 

You bit your lip, swallowing as your heart welled up at your thoughts and your thumb caressing the back of his hand. 

 

You barged into my life suddenly and became a part of it like you own it and I am still surprised how a pure hearted guy like you has come to like a girl like me who always throws tantrums at you. 

 

You silently chuckled, looking down before sliding off your hand from his grasp to wrap the duvet around him to stand up and take the tray in your hands. 

 

As much as I am thankful, I am really sorry for not saying out loud yet. 

 

               __________________

 

6:59 pm

 

The sun had set bringing the dawn afterwards, while Baekhyun stirred in his sleep since his throat felt dry to which he had the urge to drink some water and his eyes slowly opened to find his room in a dim light. Blinking a couple of times to adjust his mind, his head tilted towards the glass window of his room to see the black sky greeting him with city lights displaying through it. 

 

Soon, he lazily sat up, roaming his eyes around to find your figure but nothing, before reaching out to grab his phone which he left it to charge and checked the time to which he thought you left already since you had to be at Café too. 

 

Though, he felt a little disappointed and sad, but it's not like he could stop you from going there since it's your work time and you already visited him and did more than he expected you to, so he was happy and satisfied with it for now. 

 

He felt a little better after taking some sleep and decided to have a warm shower since his clothes had gotten sweaty and he hated it. 

 

"Did she leave without any message?" He muttered, walking towards his wardrobe as he didn't see any texts from you to which he pouted over the thought before taking his clothes and left to do his task. 

 

Fifteen minutes later, he walked out, in his black hoodie and loose pants, feeling fresh after the shower while drying his hair with the towel hanging around his neck which he left it on the chair behind before walking out of the room to have some water. 

 

Passing by the living room to the kitchen, he took out a water bottle from the fridge to which he took a sip while roaming his eyes around only to spot a purple backpack on the couch and he knew it so well that it was yours. 

 

"Did she leave it behind?" He tilted his head, pondering as he approached the couch before his head towards the balcony of the living room to find your figure leaning against the railing with your back facing him. 

 

His eyes slightly widened as he blinked to see if he was dreaming but he was not, and his heart jolted up with happiness as he couldn't help but let his lips curve upwards as he slowly strode towards you cautiously. 

 

His steps halted, just inches away from you as he saw you lost in your thoughts since you still haven't acknowledged his presence behind, with your headphones on and your hair waving with the breeze before he leaned sideways against the glass door of the balcony, watching you silently. 

 

Your lips pursed, before lifting up your wrist to check the time as you thought to leave if he didn't wake up or to just check him up last time before leaving and as you stopped the music, a pair of arms engulfed you from behind. 

 

"Oh, goodness!" You flinched, gasping as you took the earbuds off your ears but heard a chuckle against your ear and instantly relaxed, calming your heart but realizing the position, it went up rapidly more. 

 

"Geez, I told you not to sneak up on me like that, I was so close to punch you, idiot." You mumbled, wanting to turn around to look at his face but he tightened his grip while nuzzling his face in your neck as you felt his wet hair brushing against your skin, leaving goosebumps through your whole body with the warmth afterwards. 

 

"You stayed." He whispered, and you could feel him smiling against your neck as you bit your lip nervously. "O-Obviously, you think I am that heartless?" 

 

He just shook his head against your neck to which his soft locks tickled and you bit your lip, smiling before holding his arm. "You had a shower?" 

 

"Why?" He lifted his head a little to peek at you with a playful grin. "You wanted to watch me showering?" 

 

"Geez, ert." You scoffed, lightly before turning around to make him pout as he was having his good time before leaning into your touch as you palmed his forehead. "Hm… your fever's gone." 

 

He didn't respond back and noticed his eyes on your lips with a temping look and made your insides go warm with the sensation. "My eyes are up here." 

 

"But your lips are here." He uttered, not averting his intent gaze as he bit his lower lip and your breath hitched. "And?" 

 

"And I want to kiss you so bad." He breathed out, in a soft whisper and your lips parted. "You… You wouldn't dare." 

 

"Oh please, you don't know how much I am holding back right now but I am afraid my fever will go to you and it's so unfair." He pursed his lips before bumping his forehead against yours lightly. "What do I do, Daisy?"

 

"I-" 

 

"Yah, I just told you that I am holding back and you're blushing infront of me, you really enjoy seeing me suffer, huh?" He playfully glared at you and you rolled your eyes, tilting your head to the side. "I'm not blushing." 

 

"Geez." He muttered, leaning his forehead against your temple as his arms held your torso firmly and you couldn't stop the warmth and giddiness rushing up. 

 

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang and you instantly looked at him. "Go, check the door." 

 

"The door is doing fine." He replied, lazily and you hissed, making him groan. "I don't want to check." 

 

"What if it's one of our friends?" You leaned your head back and he shook his head. "They know the password, it must be the neighborhood lady who's trying to set me up with her daughter." 

 

You raised your eyebrows at him. "And you want me to believe that?" 

 

"Excuse me?" He scoffed, looking at you with an offended look. "A face like this gets proposals every day but yes, you're an exception." 

 

You shook your head, pushing him away gently. "Go and check." 

 

Baekhyun huffed, like a dejected puppy as he stomped out of the balcony to the door where you heard the door opening sound and then heard some faint sound of Baekhyun's and an unfamiliar voice of a male talking. 

 

You looked ahead at the view again but the urge to use the washroom was making you impatient as you peeked through them to find Baekhyun walking inside the kitchen and taking this opportunity, you walked out to stride towards his room but halted your steps when Baekhyun walked out with a man behind him. 

 

"Oh?" You mumbled, tilting your head to see the familiar man as he was the man you saw at the sports day when they took you to watch his race and the man stared at you back with widened eyes. "You have a guest." 

 

"Hyung." Baekhyun called him out to which he instantly snapped out before bowing politely and you did the same before looking at Baekhyun. "I…" 

 

He sensed your awkwardness and immediately pointed towards his room. "You can go in, I'll be there in a few." 

 

You nodded, before bowing to the man again as he did the same and disappeared in his room while Baekhyun looked back at Yeong to find his amused look. "So, you weren't alone, Sir doesn't need to be worried, I guess." 

 

"Ah, Hyung." Baekhyun slightly whined, as Yeong chuckled before walking out of his apartment and Baekhyun closed the door while coming back into his room to see you walking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter