Closer Than Before

Imperfectly Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1:34 pm 

 

How did I end up here? 

 

You wondered, sighing as you found yourself sitting on the chairs of the outdoor gym where the sports day was currently happening as you watched the students of different departments competing with eachother. 

 

It was Sunday, and you would be at the orphanage like usual but you found yourself here, clad in your department’s red and black gym clothes, gazing at the basketball court where your department was playing with other students.  

 

Their game had already started when you arrived as you were still thinking whether to go or not and you almost slept again but then his words from yesterday suddenly rang in your mind. 

 

I will wait for you tomorrow at the game. 

 

And that's when your body moved on its own and now you were wondering why would his words affect you so much that you left your resting day just like that. 

 

“You made it!"

 

Seulgi's exclamation startled you as you glanced towards the direction to see her dressed in her black shirt and loose pants as she sat beside you where you looked further behind her. 

 

"Where's Sarang?" 

 

She reached out to tie her hair up. "She's changing, will be right back." 

 

You nodded before flinching over the loud cheers which took both of your girls' attention as you looked in the direction to see a bunch of girls from different departments cheering loudly for your department's boys playing or cheering for the popular guys where Baekhyun was one of them, certainly. 

 

And your eyes followed him, bouncing the ball which he passed over to another guy of their team and he passed it to Chanyeol as he was close where Chanyeol instantly ran over and made a goal. 

 

The loud cheers erupted again and you found yourself slowly clapping with a light smile before you saw Sarang running towards the bleachers and sat beside you where Kyungsoo sat beside her. 

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun highfived, before Baekhyun looked over at the bleachers, in hopes to find the one girl he's been hoping to see today and that's when his eyes spotted the girl, and the only girl who stood out in his eyes. 

 

And when his eyes locked with yours, they lit up and he lifted his arm up, waving at you while smiling like a baby and you couldn't help but chuckle at his behavior before he was hit by a ball on his back making him stumble forward as he looked back at Chanyeol with a glare. 

 

They both went back to continue the game, not before Baekhyun shot you a smile where Seulgi and Kyungsoo just face palmed at them while Sarang laughed and you sighed leaning back with a light smile. 

 

Few minutes later, the sound of a whistle erupted, and they stopped playing as they got a five minutes break where you saw Chanyeol and Baekhyun coming towards where you were sitting. 

 

"Supergirl, here!" 

 

Before you could even react to her voice, a water bottle was thrown towards you and unexpectedly, you caught it with your hands before glancing at her with a surprised yet confused look as she just winked. 

 

Shrugging off, you assumed it was for you, as you opened the cap of the bottle but it was taken away from your hand, startling you as you looked up to see Baekhyun gulping it down where you stared at him dumbfounded. 

 

As he was done, he looked down, frowning at your expression before his forehead creased. "Wasn't it for me?" 

 

You instantly looked over to Seulgi with squinting eyes as she immediately looked away where you looked back at Baekhyun and just simply nodded, making him smile before he gave you the bottle back which you attempted to take but he didn't let go. 

 

Confusingly, you looked at him to find him smiling at you fondly. "You came." 

 

You blinked, biting your lip nervously. "I.. I just didn't want to disappoint, Sir." 

 

"Really?" He tilted his head, lifting his eyebrow. "Just Sir? And not for me?" 

 

You cleared your throat, playfully scoffing. "You wish." 

 

He giggled, not questioning further since your expressions were obvious enough to tell him, before he bent over as he leaned his head to your ear, causing you to hold your breath and your grip on the bottle tightened. 

 

"I'm still glad you came, Daisy." He whispered, his lips brushing against your hair sending chills down your spine and he backed away standing up straight, before smiling at your flustered state. 

 

"Soo, you're needed, Sunbae hurt his foot so he can't play." Chanyeol came behind him, as took the water bottle from Seulgi who was about to drink it but instantly threw a glare towards him which he obviously didn't care about. 

 

Kyungsoo groaned, standing up as Mr. Oh called them over and taking another sip from the bottle, Baekhyun gave it back to you and ran off with them. 

 

"What did he say in your ear?" Sarang asked beside you, causing you to jump as you snapped out and shook your head. "Nothing." 

 

"Heol!" Seulgi exclaimed. "Is it something inappropriate?" 

 

"No!" You exclaimed, with a whining tone which left them laughing at your flustered condition and you just leaned back with a grumpy face before continuing to watch the game. 

 

While playing the game, Baekhyun's eyes averted in your direction and his step halted, seeing a guy from the architecture department talking to you but then his eyes widened and jaw clenched, when he saw him holding his phone to you. 

 

His heart raced with an unfamiliar anxious feeling but before he could do something, Mr. Oh yelled his name and he didn't have any choice but to continue the game with his anxiousness increasing second by second. 

 

And after the tempting game, the whistle broke out loudly indicating that the game was over and the business department had won, scoring by three points more over the other team. 

 

Everyone stood up cheering, including you as you lightly smiled but it dropped as you saw Baekhyun pacing towards your side with a serious look as if he was angry about something and before you knew it, he was already standing infront of you. 

 

"What-" 

 

"Who was he? What was he doing here? What was he saying and why did he give his phone to you?" He blurted out his questions in one go and exhaled while you stood there, dumbfounded. 

 

Seulgi, Sarang, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo stared at him baffled but Baekhyun didn't care as he was still busy staring at you with a question yet serious expression. 

 

"He asked for Ji-Ah's number." Seulgi spoke, with her crossed arms and Baekhyun's eyes widened as the jealousy irked him. "And?" 

 

"And?" You raised your eyebrows and he mirrored your expressions. "And?" 

 

You just shrugged, leaving him pouting as you bit your lip preventing yourself from smiling as somehow you were enjoying teasing him. 

 

"Oh? They announced our game!" Sarang chirped, as both her and Seulgi ran off to the field where four of you got ready to cheer for them. 

 

They tied their legs together and the sound of a whistle erupted where every pair began to walk faster and you were cheering for them except one person, standing beside you. 

 

You looked over at Baekhyun to find him grimacing as his lips were formed in a pout and you frowned. "Why are you not cheering for them?" 

 

"How can I cheer, when my love life is on stake?" He crossed his arms with a serious frown and you blinked, blankly. "You're so dramatic, I swear." 

 

"Whatever." He grumbled, and you chuckled, looking away. "I didn't." 

 

"You didn't?" He beamed, his eyes sparkling and you gazed at him surprised at how his expression changed rapidly before you tilted your head. "And if I had, what would you do then?" 

 

"Simple, I would make him delete it." He shrugged and you gaped. "Wow, that's… really obsessive." 

 

"I'd say afraid." He chuckled, looking down as he shoved his hands in his pockets before he looked into your eyes. "I was afraid that maybe I would lose my chance to him." 

 

You stared at him for a moment before looking away. "What's there to be afraid of? I wouldn't just give my number to a stranger when I'm not even interested in him." 

 

"So that means, you're interested in me?" He questioned and your eyes widened as your head shot towards him. "I didn't say it like that, don't twist my words!" 

 

"Oh! There they are, go football!" He cheered loudly, completely ignoring your words and your glare as you huffed and looked back at the field. 

 

The game was over, announcing Seulgi and Sarang the winners as four of you clapped where both of them ran towards your direction and engulfed you in a group hug. 

 

After a few games, the dodgeball game was announced as your friends cheered where you slightly felt uneasy getting the stares before taking a deep breath. You stood up and took a handful of your hair to tie it up but you didn't have your hairband at the moment. 

 

"Here." 

 

You glanced up at Baekhyun infront of you, sliding your hairband from his wrist which you just noticed as he held it out for you. "You can borrow it for a while." 

 

You gave him a 'Are you serious' look. "This is mine though." 

 

He just shrugged, and you rolled your eyes while tying your hair while he stood there, watching you with concentration and you felt yourself getting flustered under his gaze. 

 

"It's good that they made up but why are they acting like newlyweds?" Chanyeol questioned, with a soft voice enough to let his friends beside him to hear and Seulgi smiled. "They are so cute." 

 

"True." Sarang nodded, smiling at the sight while Kyungsoo and Chanyeol just gave them a weird look. 

 

Both of you walked over to the field as Baekhyun stood infront of you with his back facing you where he looked over his shoulder to you. "You should hold my arm, we don't know how aggressive they'll get, you know." 

 

With an expectation to hear your snap, he looked ahead but he froze, feeling your hand holding his forearm and he looked back at you with a surprised look where you looked up at him innocently. "What? You told me to hold your arm, should I not?" 

 

His heart melted at the sight and only he knew how he held back his urge to kiss you right there but before his mind could take over him, he instantly looked ahead with a smile. "You can hold me however you want, Daisy." 

 

"Stop flirting." You slapped his back upon hearing his flirty remark and he just laughed. "I can't help it." 

 

The other pairs were already standing in the middle of the field, waiting for the game to begin with the cheers around you and you felt uncomfortable feeling the gazes as you closed your eyes for a moment but then you felt his hand over yours causing you to open your eyes. 

 

He lightly patted your hand before your attention was taken from the loud cheers of your name as you looked at the direction to see your friends cheering your and his name making you smile. 

 

The whistle broke out, and the game started with the pair standing before you throwing the ball towards you and you both dodged it perfectly. There was no doubt that the game was getting tempting since the other pairs were good as well and it was surprising at how much you both have been hanging there. 

 

There were times when you would hold his arm tightly or he would just simply hold your hand, hiding you behind him so you wouldn't get hurt and the game continued, with the two pairs remaining which were yours and the other one. 

 

It got even difficult because the other pair seemed to be strong and it was the last hit when Baekhyun threw the ball towards them which they dodged it and the ball was thrown back at Baekhyun where the opponent slightly tripped and Baekhyun took the chance and threw it back to him where it hit the male. 

 

The whistle erupted again, Mr. Oh announcing both of your names as the winner and the cheers were heard loudly again. 

 

You smiled widely, where Baekhyun turned around with his widened smile reaching up to his eyes as he raised his palm and you chuckled, giving it a highfive but he didn't let go of your hand, instead he held it tight and pulled you in a hug. 

 

You gasped, eyes widened at his actions before you felt his heartbeat pounding rapidly and so was yours at the moment as your hands were in the air, either side of his waist. 

 

You pushed him away lightly with your cheeks flushing with the warm sensation. "Calm down, will you!" 

 

That's when Baekhyun realized what he had done as he scratched his head with a sheepish grin. "Sorry, I got carried away." 

 

"There you are both!" Mr. Oh's voice caught your attention as Mr. Oh approached with a beaming look where he patted Baekhyun's shoulder. "I knew, I could rely on you two! Dinners on me today!" 

 

You quickly walked towards your friends as they hugged you both while Seulgi and Sarang gave Baekhyun a stern look who avoided it before they walked away to change their clothes as the event was over. 

 

You girls also went back to the girls locker room to change where Seulgi needed to use the washroom and you waited for her along with Sarang. At that moment, Sarang got a call from her mother saying that some guests were coming and she was needed at home. 

 

"Will you be okay, Ji?" She asked after you told her to go and you nodded. "Yes, so go before you get late." 

 

"Okay, tell me if Baekhyun does something so I can kick his ." She said, sternly after watching the scene at the field and you chuckled. "Don't worry, I can handle him alone." 

 

"I'll call you later then." She took her bag and walked out of the room where you stood up with your and Seulgi's bag as you walked towards the washroom to check up on her as she was taking a lot of time. 

 

"Did you see that girl from the business department?" A girl spoke, applying a pink tint on her lips as she stood infront of the mirror and looked over to her friend beside her who smirked. "Who? That infamous Ji-Ah?" 

 

"Yeah, how she was glued to Baekhyun." She scoffed. "She didn't even come around and after that one dodgeball game a few weeks back, she's been roaming around him now." 

 

"Maybe, that's what she was waiting for till now to catch his attention and be with his friends." 

 

All of a sudden, the bathroom door opened revealing Seulgi who came out with a poker face as she stood by the sink between the two girls who were frozen by her appearance and trembling inside as she had heard everything. 

 

"Why are you two suddenly silent?" Seulgi asked, washing her hands before raising her cold gaze up to look at them through the mirror. "It's because I am here?" 

 

"Uh, Seulgi-" 

 

"Or you'll continue when I go out, because that's what you're good at?" She turned around, wiping her hands with the tissues and crossed her arms with her cold gaze at them. "I'm warning you both, if you said one word against my friend, I won't hesitate to do something which is going through your heads right now." 

 

She passed by their trembling figure as she was about to walk out but stopped turning around. "And you know I can, right? So be careful." 

 

They both nodded, as they knew messing with Seulgi wouldn't bring any peace to them ever. 

 

Seulgi opened the door and found you by the door and she stared at you nervously, afraid if you had heard everything as she smiled nervously. "When did you get here?" 

 

"Just now." You said, and she sighed in relief before taking her bag as she wrapped her arm around your shoulder and grinned. "Let's go, Supergirl!" 

 

You smiled, walked down the hallway alongside her but what Seulgi didn't know was that you had heard it, all of it and you didn't feel good about it but at the same time, you were glad to have a friend like Seulgi by your side. 

 

                       _______________________

 

7:01 pm 

 

"Cheers!" 

 

Bumping the glasses filled with soju, everyone gulped it down in one go and slammed it on the table in unison before cheering again as they continued to chatter around with their drinks and stuffing chicken. 

 

Mr Oh was treating the students along with other teachers, at the nearby restaurant where you were sitting at one of the tables by the window, with Baekhyun and his friends whom you call your friends now. 

 

They weren't drinking too much since they had to attend a party later along with Baekhyun which Chanyeol's parents had organized. 

 

"Not really of your liking?" His forehead creased, gesturing towards the soju drink as he opened the can of softdrink before handing it over to you while doing the same for him and you shook your head. "I rarely drink and my stomach hurts but why are you not drinking?" 

 

"I have to drive you back home." He spoke, taking a sip of his drink and Seulgi snickered. "Liar, just say you can't drink well." 

 

Baekhyun shot her a side glare as you were seated between them. 

 

"Hey, Baekhyun!" 

 

Everyone shot their eyes towards the male who stood by your table and you recognized him as he was the guy you had the dodgeball game with and won over him as he looked at you with a smile and you blinked, not knowing how to react as you shifted uncomfortably. 

 

"You played really well there." He commented, sitting down beside Kyungsoo as he glanced at you questionly. "Hey, what's your name? I haven't really seen you around before." 

 

"I'm Ji-Ah, Sunbaenim." You answered politely as you took a glance towards Baekhyun to see his serious expression and the guy chuckled, taking your attention. "Ah, Ji-Ah, it's a pretty name, and I have to say, you were really good at the game, I'm really impressed." 

 

Why are you impressed? 

 

"Why are you impressed?" Baekhyun mumbled, beside you and you looked at him shockingly where he looked back at you confusingly and you just shook your head. 

 

Your senior extended his arm with the soju bottle as he began to pour it in your glass before you could even refuse and you felt uncomfortable as you couldn't even refuse it anymore or it would turn into a huge drama. 

 

You locked eyes with your friends giving you an understanding look as this senior was really respected and messing with him wouldn't bring anything good and you also didn't want to trouble them either. 

 

Sighing, you took the glass but before you could drink it, the glass was snatched from your hand and you looked at Baekhyun gulping it down as he slammed it down before wiping his lips. "She doesn't drink." 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know." The senior apologized and got up as he was called by one of his friends and left the table with you sighing in relief. 

 

"Wow, husband behavior." Seulgi remarked, patting Baekhyun's back and you both looked at eachother with widened eyes before looking away flustered. 

 

"Daisy." 

 

You looked at him confusingly and he pointed towards the senior before looking back at you seriously. "You gotta stay away from that guy, even if he approaches you, try to ignore him as much as possible." 

 

"Why?" You frowned and Seulgi sighed beside you taking your attention as she leaned forward. "He's made his profile good infront of everyone but we know him better and he's known as a player so avoid him at every cost." 

 

You nodded, understanding before Kyungsoo's phone buzzed as he checked the message and looked at Baekhyun. "Are you in for the race today?" 

 

Baekhyun looked at you to find your blank face before he looked back at Kyungsoo and shook his head. "Not today, I am too tired." 

 

"Are you sure? It's Max." He uttered, and Baekhyun's eyes shot up at him but before he could say anything Chanyeol suddenly started giggling causing everyone to look at him. 

 

"Gosh, Ji-Ah you look so lost and it's really adorable." He cupped his mouth preventing himself from laughing as everyone glanced at you to see the lost expression of yours as you couldn't understand what they were talking about. 

 

A groan left Chanyeol's mouth as he was kicked on his leg by Baekhyun under the table who narrowed his eyes at him. "Who are you calling adorable?" 

 

"Stop being freaking jealous over everything!" He kicked his leg back making him groan and you looked at Seulgi. "What are they talking about?" 

 

"Um.. Guys.. Why don't we show Ji-Ah instead of telling her?" Seulgi suggested as boys nodded, except Baekhyun who cleared his throat. "Um.. We can't, she has to be at home by 8:30." 

 

"You stop being her guardian husband, we'd be done before her curfew hits." Seulgi remarked, before she looked at you beaming. "So, Supergirl, shall we go?" 

 

You stared at her for a moment blankly before looking at Baekhyun who was looking back at you awkwardly and you turned back to Seulgi, giving her a slow nod with a confused look. 

 

                     _______________________

 

Eyes roamed around the lightened street confusingly yet wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter