oo7 || doctor visit

the pursuit of happiness
 
07
 
doctor visit
"What's your plan for today?" His mother asked him as she held Sungchan on her lap. Jaehyun smiled as he helped Jeno strapped his shoes on.

"I'm planning to go to the pediatrician today. I haven't been able to do a full check up on them. And I booked a consultation with a child psychiatrist too. Tomorrow I have to sign some documents regarding the adoption and it's better if I have their health information covered," he explained.

"Okay. Uhm, and son?"

"Yes, ma?"

"Take care. You're driving yourself, right?"

"Yeah, I preferred driving myself. Thanks, eomma."

Jaehyun picked up his son and kissed his mother’s cheek. Jeno grinned before following his appa's action, causing his grandmother to squeal.
Thirty minutes later, they arrived at the hospital pediatric wing. Sungchan will be having his session with the pediatrician while Jeno got assessed by the psychiatrist.

"Jeno-ya? Appa have to get your brother checked. Can you stay and play with this doctor samchon here?"

Jeno's lips quivered and his eyes watered.

"But appa…?"

"Jeno’s scared? That appa will leave?"

The kid nodded immediately.

"Oh, baby, don't cry. Remember what appa said about Mr. Bunny?"

"If I am scared, I can hug him."

"That's right. This handsome doctor samchon has a lot of good toys to play with. Aren't you excited?"

Jeno turned back to see the doctor smiling while holding a robot toy.

"Is Jeno a good boy if Jeno play there?"

"Of course, you're a very, very, good boy, Jeno-ya," Jaehyun said as he wiped the boy's tears.

"Will appa take long?"

"I don't know, but I'll try to make it quick. Appa promise appa will pick you up later. Pinky promise?"

Jeno nodded as he linked his pinky with his father.

"Appa won't leave Jeno here right? Like last time? Jeno don't want to sleep here."
Jaehyun winced, Jeno must've remembered the time he had to stay with the social service worker.

"No, baby. Promise."

"Okay, then I will go inside," Jeno said softly as he hugged his father's neck and give a small kiss to his brother before taking the doctor's hand.

Jaehyun gave the psychiatrist a thankful bow before leaving for Sungchan's check up in a room a few doors down.
When he got in, he saw a nice-looking woman in her mid-forties.

"You must be Mr. Jung and this is Jung Sungchan?" She asked as she read the form.

"Ah yes..."

"Alright, is this his first checkup, Mr. Jung?"

"Uhm... actually yes. I just adopted Sungchan a few weeks ago. And another kid, that will come here too later. I don't think he's been vaccinated before."

"Alright, can you take off his clothes?"

Jaehyun nodded as he took off Sungchan's sweater. The kind old lady made a few noises that calmed Sungchan down as the woman did a thorough exam on him.

"His approximate age is… 6 months?"

"Yes... him and his stepbrother are victims of the illegal human trafficking that happened a few weeks ago. They have no medical records whatsoever."

“What did you usually feed him?”

“Uhm, just… milk?”

"Well, according to his physics and developments then I'm pretty sure he's around 6 months. His weight and length are within a normal range for his age. But you have to change his diet to porridges because milk isn’t enough to fulfill his dietary needs. Besides milk, please incorporate porridges to Sungchan’s diet. The soft ones. I'll give you a pamphlet about several recommendations for his diet, okay. Make sure to come next month for a follow-up. For now, I'm going to give him his first dose of catch-up vaccination. Please hug your son like this," the woman demonstrated as the nurse prepared the vials and syringes.

The doctor wiped Sungchan's pudgy arm with an alcohol swab before injecting two doses of vaccinations. The boy cried immediately and Jaehyun quickly rocked him side by side to calm him down.

"He'll probably be fussy and feverish for a day or two. It's completely normal. If he starts having rashes or vomiting, please go to the ER quickly, okay?"

"Yes, doc. Thank you very much. I'll be back in a while with the older child after the psychiatrist consultation."

"Very well, Mr. Jung."

Jaehyun bowed before leaving the room. Sungchan's cries had subsided and the boy is snuggling comfortably against Jaehyun's chest as he walked back to the psychiatry room.
He knocked on the door and when he came in, Jeno quickly crashed himself to his legs.

"Hi, buddy," he bent down to give Jeno a hug.

"Your appa came, Jeno. Now, can you show your brother all the cute plushies we played with earlier? With me? Your appa wants to talk to doctor samchon first," a woman said as she gets Sungchan's from Jaehyun's hold. Thankfully the calm baby didn't refuse.

Jeno looked at his appa sadly, not wanting to part after seeing him just for a minute.

"That sounds great, Jeno-ya. Sungchanie would love it," Jaehyun encouraged him. Jeno nodded softly before going with the woman.

The male psychiatrist smiled before offering him a seat.

"Good morning, Mr. Jung. I am Kim Junmyeon, the psychiatrist. I will relay the results of your son's examination. According to your information he's adopted, yes?"

"Ah yes, he is."

"Can you tell me a bit about the adoption process?"

"Uhm, well, I just got him a few weeks ago. He and the baby were victims of illegal human trafficking.
They managed to get in my neighborhood somehow. They came knocking on my door and I have been with them since then."

The psychiatrist nodded; the testimony aligned well with Jeno's story.

"I interviewed Jeno, and I discovered he had…. An abusive life in an orphanage before?"

"Ah, yes. He told me that too. Sometimes he had nightmares but rarely. What I think is that he's traumatized so he's very attached to me."

"That's quite correct. Jeno has a mild case of separation anxiety. After you left, he cried first, actually."

"He did? Oh gosh…"

"That's normal for kids to cry. But he questioned us first with questions that are… a bit absurd to be asked by a five years old kid. He asked us if we're going to hit him. Or sell him. We told him no and it took a few coaxing for him to stop secluding himself in a corner with his bunny doll."

Jaehyun winced.

"I remembered him in the entrance asking if he’s a good boy if he did what you told him to. He kept asking for validation. Even when we play, he kept asking things like that. And he's not fussy at all. When we asked him, which toy he wanted to play with first, he got very confused. He was almost overwhelmed. Is he like that too at home?"

"Most of the time, yes. He always asks for permissions. He's also hesitant of doing things without me telling him to. Sometimes he told me about his childhood and I think it highly contributed to his… behaviors."

The psychiatrist nodded solemnly.

"But he was too good as a five-years-old. He knew how to do certain things himself even though with difficulties. He knew how to empathize and make decisions. He never hesitated to sacrifice himself. I asked him once if it is okay if I took Mr. bunny and he nearly cried. But I told him if I take Mr. Bunny, then I'll give Sungchan a doll. He agreed in a heartbeat. I then asked him if he would stay a night here without you because you're so tired today from bringing him here. He agreed immediately. Those answers aren't supposed to come from a five-years-old.
Even if you teach kids about empathy, younger kids aren’t able to make decisions like what Jeno did."

"Then what can I do as his father?" Jaehyun asked softly.

"Assurance. Assurance would be best for him. I've seen how you interact and it's good enough. Keep assuring him and give him compliments. I've seen how you do the pinky promises too. Things like that can boost his confidence. Try incorporating him to do his own things by himself without you helping but without forcing. For example, teach him how to bathe himself, or use his own clothes. That can increase his sense of independency."

Jaehyun nodded as he saw Jeno being brought back.

"I heard you have to bring Jeno for the medical checkup too?"

"Ah yes..."

"You can leave the baby in our care then. After that you can pick him up later."

"Really?"

"Yes, we'd be glad to help."

"Thank you so much," Jaehyun bowed.

“It’s okay, sir. The psychiatric ward is used to being a children’s playground anyway,” the doctor chuckled.
A door opened and Jeno bolted to hug him.

"Appa! I told Sungchanie a story using dolls," he exclaimed happily.

"Oh, really? That's amazing! Tonight, you can tell appa a bedtime story then?"

Jeno blushed and nodded.

"Alright, ready for your turn to the doctor?"

Jeno sheepishly shook his head.

"Scared."

"Oh, we must bring Mr. Bunny then. Where is he?" Jaehyun said as he stopped on his track.

"I lend it to Sungchan. I don't want him to be scared there. Jeno has appa here so, Jeno is less scared," he answered innocently.
Jaehyun smiled softly, understanding what the psychiatrist explained earlier. This boy is too selfless to be a mere five years old.

"Alrighty! Let's go then," Jaehyun swing their interlocked hands back and forth as they walk to the doctor's office.

Just like Sungchan's session, Jeno cried when he got his catch-up shots but that lasted for a minute only. A few compliments and a long warm hug did the trick. In short, it didn't disturb Jaehyun so much.
The thing that disturbs him a lot is the doctor's examination. Jeno's nutrition status had developed greatly compared to his first day with Jaehyun, but he's still stunted and underweight as a result of five years of negligence and poor diet. The doctor said it should be corrected as soon as possible because it could affect the kid's performance status in school later and it could also deter the kid's developments. And nope. Jaehyun will be having none of that.

He felt anger bubbling inside him even when he drove the three of them home. He will do whatever it takes to nurse them back to health and make sure they both grow up well.
A/N
Hullow!
I'm....back! I just finished an exam and PHEW thankfully I passed :")) The story is dragging pretty slowly BUT I CANT HELP IT?!?! I just can't resist writing how Jaehyun's relationship with the two kids develop :"")) Please bear with me :3
P.S NCT Dream is going to come back soon, so let's support our baby Jeno!
P.S.S  Unrelated to NCT, but Yesung's new mini album might be my most favorite album of 2021 so far. I really love the nostalgic vibes, the late 70s-early 80s nuance, and also the general RnB and Jazzy tone! Do support Yesung too!
 
Anyways, thank you for still sticking by this story either by reading/commenting/subscribing/upvoting. I really appreciate it <3
Love, btfg <3