o15 || nursing

the pursuit of happiness
 
15
 
nursing
Yerim parked her car in her garage with her tired body. Last night she had been very giddy after the talk with Jaehyun but she had to burst her happy little bubble when a very panicked woman came in claiming her pit bull is in labor.

The woman was right and Yerim spent a grueling five hours assisting the poor dog to deliver her babies. The dog gave birth to five cute puppies and she spent the rest of the night stitching the poor mother up and taking care of the babies’ needs while the owner went home.

She stayed up until six to make sure the mother and the puppies were all okay before she could go home. Now she's tired and all she wanted to do was sleep.

She entered her house and frowned when she saw her aunts and her father eating breakfast together.
"Yerim."

She bowed at them, more than ready to go lock herself up in her room rather than spending time in the same place as them.

"Yerim, join us for breakfast," one of her father's sisters said.

"Ah, I have already eaten," she politely rejected.

"I don't think she's giving you an option, Yerim. Sit down and join us for some tea," her father commanded.
She's still in her blood-stained clothes from last night and she's dead tired, yet she had no choice but to sit down in one of the empty chairs as a maid came to pour her a cup of tea.

"Thank you," she thanked the kind maid before taking a sip.

"We've heard from your father that you've been getting closer with the Jung kid."

Yerim nodded stiffly as she fidgeted under the table.

"Good. When can the family meet to discuss the wedding then? The sooner the better."

“Jaehyun and I haven't talked about marriage yet and we're still starting our relationship, gomo."

"You do know that we've been wanting to… eliminate you, as quickly as possible, right? If you don't see any possibility of getting married with him soon then drop the relationship. I'll arrange you with another kid," the oldest aunt said.

"I'm sorry gomo, but this is my life and each one of you should not dictate to me on who I married in life," Yerim spoke calmly.

"You do know that you've brought this family nothing but bad luck, right? Your mother could've been alive and birthed an heir for the company instead of a useless girl like you. You should be grateful we still allow you to live and breathe as a Kim in this property. The only thing you should do is be grateful and do as we say."

"You've been getting away from this matter for too long. You need to get married soon for the company inheritance to be passed on. You know what's in your grandfather's will, right?"
Again. Them and their greed for fortune.

Her grandfather did state that a big portion of inheritance would be passed down once he’s passed away, but only after every one of his grandkids had been married. Yerim is the only one between her cousins who's still unmarried.

"I will marry the man of my choice when I want to get married. All of you had been doing whatever you wanted even when harabeoji was still alive. He's dead now so you're free to do whatever the hell you want to do without involving me," Yerim stood up in anger. She won't drag Jaehyun into her messed up family and make him marry her in a haste.
"Watch your mouth when the elders spoke to you."

Yerim held onto her stinging cheek as she glanced at her father. His palm that made contact with her cheek was still trembling in anger.

"Go to hell, all of you."

Yerim grabbed her bag and bolted upstairs to her room, ignoring the curses that left her aunts' mouths.

She locked the door to her room and went into the bathroom. She the shower and stood under it, feeling the water pelting harshly down her face, mingling with the angry tears that left her eyes.

She slid down to the floor and sat under the running water as the cold numbed her. She stayed there until she couldn't handle the shiver and her fingers turned wrinkly before she peeled off her wet clothing and started taking a shower for real.

After she's done, she padded to her bedroom and changed into a fresh set of clothes before grabbing most of her clothes and shoving them into a duffel bag. She grabbed her keys and went back down, feeling relieved that the causes of her miseries had left. She needs to clear her mind. And that's why she's gonna take the public transportation today.


 


 


Being lonely amidst a large crowd.

Kim Yerim understood that paradox well. Whenever she has thoughts filling her mind or when she's feeling down, she'll take public transportation. The bus, the subway, anything.

She found out that being surrounded by people she didn't know helped her get things out of her head. She found solace in being within a crowd.

It was tiring having to walk, move stations, and cross streets after not sleeping the whole night before. But it helped her take her mind off from thinking about her ty family.

After walking two hundred meters away from the nearest bus stop, she finally arrived at her cafe. It has yet to open and today she's going to be stress baking.

"Oh, Ma'am. You're back early?"

A staff member who was sweeping the floor questioned.

"I'm not that tired. I feel like baking," she smiled tiredly as she went to the kitchen where several kitchen members are cooking.

"Are all the pastries done baking?" She asked, ignoring her worker’s confused looks as she put on her apron.

"Ah, not yet ma'am," a baker answered nervously, a bit surprised to see the boss here this early.

"I'll help then. Has the pie been made already?"

"Not yet, ma'am."

"Alright, I'll handle them."

Yerim spent her entire morning baking in the kitchen and to be honest it healed her a bit.

It was lunch time when she finally left the kitchen to go to the shelter. She didn't have any shift in the clinic today, so the shelter is the place to go.

"Go take a break, guys," she said as she entered the shelter.

"Ma'am!"


"I'll continue bathing these guys. Go have your lunch break," she ushered her workers out as she stepped into the grooming area. She put on a plastic apron and gloves before she started working to bathe a poodle with heavily matted hair.

She took her time cutting off tangled fur, taking care of manged skins, and grooming the dogs. She even went the extra mile to clean the grooming area as well.

Feeling spent and tired both physically and emotionally, she finally retreated to her office.


 




To be honest, Jaehyun felt a little worried. After he left Yerim's workplace last night, he called her before he went to sleep and found out she had to stay up to help a dog give birth. In the morning, he texted her but she didn't reply. He tried calling her again the whole afternoon but she's not picking up either.

Was he being too overwhelming for her? He wanted to take her out for lunch with the kids but he's afraid he's disturbing her work since she's not answering his calls.

Lunch had ended and he had dropped his kids in his mother's place. He went back to his office and finished a meeting and she's still not responding. To be honest, he's not only a little worried. He’s really, really, worried.

Was he being too pushy? Does she feel burdened? Or is there something wrong with her that he should be alarmed with?

He just wanted to know.

"Yoobin?" He went out of his office and saw his secretary who was working on a report.

"Sir!"

"Uh, do I have any schedule after this?"

Yoobin scrambled to take his journal and scanned through it before shaking his head.

"No, sir. You're actually free."

"I have to head back early. There's something I need to settle down with."

"Ah, right. It's okay, sir."

"Alright, I'll get going then."

Jaehyun grabbed his coat and his keys before hastily leaving his office.

Yerim had told him the night before that the morning after the dog's birth she'll probably head home and take a day off to rest.

He sped down to Yerim's house and he found her car parked in the garage. He went down and the security greeted him.
"Mr. Jung."

"Uhm, I'm sorry, is Yerim inside?"

"Oh, Ms. Kim is out for work sir."

"She's back to work? Didn't she just get back from work this morning?" He asked confusedly.

"Ah, yes. Ms. Kim returned home at six but left again at around eight, sir."

"But her car…?" Jaehyun pointed at the parked car.

"Oh, Ms. Kim sometimes likes to take the subway to work, sir."

Jaehyun furrowed his brows before nodding.

"Alright then, thank you so much," he bowed to the security officer before going back to his car and quickly drove away to Yerim's workplace.
His first instinct was to go to the cafe but the worker told him she went to the shelter during lunch.

He thanked the kind worker before walking to the shelter.

"Welcome to—Oh, sir!" The receptionist greeted, already familiar with him visiting the place.

"Is Yerim here?"

"Oh, she went back to her office an hour ago, sir. Let me show you the way," the male said as he led Jaehyun to a small place between the clinic and the shelter.

Jaehyun thanked the male before knocking the door. He knocked three times, but there was no response so he twisted the doorknob, a bit surprised that it's not locked. He briskly walked inside and sighed in relief when he saw Yerim curling on the couch.
"Rim?"

He whispered as he approached her. The girl was sleeping without the aircon on, wrapped with a thin blanket. But when he got closer, he could see she was sweating and shivering.

"Yerim?"

Panic rose within him when he touched her forehead and felt it burning.
Yerim sighed when she felt the coldness on her forehead. She fluttered her eyes open and blinked blearily when she saw Jaehyun's face.

"J-Jaehyun?"

"Yerim! You're burning!"

"I'm fine," she rasped back as she struggled to pull herself into a sitting position.

"We have to get you home," he commented.

"No, I'm fine. W-what time is it? Aren't you picking up your sons?" She mumbled.

"The kids are already in my mother's place. Come on, Yerim, let's get you home," Jaehyun took off his suit and drape it around Yerim's lithe frame.

"Come here," he put his arm around her shoulders and helped her stand up.

"I don't want to go home," she whined. Even in her sick state, she still doesn't want to go home and meet her father.

"You want to go to the hospital then?" He asked softly as he supported her weight.

"No, no, no need too. I'll just… go to my apartment," she sighed as she leaned away from Jaehyun. She wobbled as she picked up her bag and Jaehyun sighed as he rushed to her side.

"You can’t even stand up on your own, Rim. I'll drive you there. Come," he sighed as he helped her walk to his car. He buckled up her seat belt and she leaned against the window weakly. She could smell Jaehyun's cologne on his suit she's wearing and it made her sleepy.

"Yerim, where do you live?" He inquired softly as he brushed away her hair, wincing when he felt her warm forehead.

Yerim mumbled the name of the apartment building before she slipped away into sleep again.

Jaehyun knew the place and quickly drove there. He glanced at her direction every once in a while, watching her mumbling in her sleep. He put his palm on her forehead several times, grimacing at the rising heat.
They arrived and Jaehyun patted her shoulder.

"Yerim? Rim? You need to tell me your unit so we can get there," he coaxed at her. She groaned and weakly replied,

"4...07."

Jaehyun nodded to himself as he went out of the car to her side and lifted her up. She was barely conscious and she laid her cheek against his chest weakly. She took a deep breath, liking his comforting scent as she let Jaehyun carry her weak body up.

Jaehyun ignored the weird look he received from the security guards as he took the elevator to the fourth floor.
"Rim? Your passcode," he said, shaking her shoulders softly. She didn't answer and Jaehyun sighed in confusion.

"Rim?"

The girl groaned and leaned further into his embrace.

Jaehyun decided to push his luck and tried to keep his balance as he typed in her birthday.

"9..7..0..3..1..0.."
He sighed in relief when the door beeped. He kicked it open with his leg and entered her apartment. It was not too big and seemed comfortable. He walked to a room that he assumed was hers before dropping her softly on the mattress.

She curled immediately when she felt the soft bedding underneath her back. He tucked her in and left the room to check the fridge. As he expected, it was empty. The cabinet in the kitchen was barren from any medication aside from a small first aid kit. The apartment doesn’t look like it was frequented often. He glanced back to the room and saw her sleeping soundlessly. He grabbed his keys and quickly went out. He needs to do a little shopping.
An hour later, he came back with fever medicine, some cold patch, and some food supply. Good thing he paid attention to what his mother did when his kids got sick after their vaccination.

He went to her room with a glass of water and medicine. He peeled off a cold patch and smoothed it down on Yerim's forehead. The girl sighed in her sleep immediately.

"Yerim, dear, can you wake up for a minute? You need to take your medicine first," he said softly as he patted her cheek.

She groaned and Jaehyun resorted to pulling her into a sitting position gently. She pried her eyes open and stared at Jaehyun dazedly.

"Have some water first and then take your medicine," he said softly as he put the glass on . She took a few gulps and obediently took the pill.

"Alright, you can go back to sleep," Jaehyun said as he tucked her back in. She must’ve been really sick since she went out like a light immediately.
He went outside and took out his phone. He needs to inform his mother that he probably will pick up his kids later at night.

"Hello? Eomma?"

"Oh, son! What's wrong? I'm drinking tea and watching cartoons with Jeno right now."

"Ma, I think I will be picking the kids up later than usual tonight. Yerim is sick so I'm taking care of her in her place."

"Oh my, she's sick?! Is it bad? Have you brought her to the hospital?"

"She's running a fever, but other than that I think she's fine. She doesn’t want to go to the hospital."

"Goodness… Take care of her well, okay, son? You should stay over there if you must!"

"I don't know about that. But I'll make sure she's okay."

"Okay. Take care, you two."

Jaehyun ended the call and went to the kitchen to start making some soup for her to eat later when she woke up.
He felt a bit guilty. He thinks she's probably sick because she had to take care of his sons and pull an all-nighter after that. He knew Yerim has always been selfless but he just wanted her to take better care of herself.

He turned off the stove and went inside her room. He sat on the edge of her bed and touched her neck. It wasn't as warm as it did an hour ago. Yerim stirred in her sleep and fluttered her eyes open. She was surprised when she saw Jaehyun looking at her with worried eyes.
"J-Jaehyun?"

"Feeling better?" He asked softly.

Yerim groaned as she sat up.

"How did you get here?" She asked.

"I was the one who brought you here, silly. You're sick."

Yerim blinked blearily and looked at him, who was brushing her hair back gently.

"I made soup. Have you eaten anything for lunch?"

Yerim shook head, "I'm a little hungry. I haven't eaten anything since morning."

Jaehyun gaped and glanced at his wristwatch.
"Yerim-ah! It's now 6 in the evening! God, Rim, no wonder you're sick. Come on, let's eat," Jaehyun stood up and offered her his hand. She stumbled a bit as she raised herself. Jaehyun let her hold onto his arm as they walked to the dining table.

"Sit down," Jaehyun said softly as he went to the kitchen. He came back with a bowl of piping hot chicken dumpling soup.

"Eat up so you'll get better, and then take another pill," Jaehyun said strictly.

Yerim nodded obediently and ate in silence.

"You're not eating?" She asked timidly to Jaehyun who was busy watching her eat.

"Later, at home," he replied.

To be honest, yes, she's a little hungry but she didn't think she could stomach anything right now. But with Jaehyun watching her intently she had no choice but to finish her soup quickly and take her medicine. He made her some ginger tea and she sipped it slowly, feeling the warmth spreading through her body nicely.
Yerim glanced at the clock and then quickly turned to Jaehyun.

"Jaehyun? Your sons?!"

"They're at my mother's house. I told her you're sick," he calmed her down.

Yerim sighed in relief as she slumped on her chair.

"Rim?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you have any problems at home?"

Yerim looked up in genuine surprise. Ah, Jaehyun and his sixth sense.

"Why are you asking me that?" She asked again as she avoided his eyes.

"I never knew you had your own apartment. When I offered to bring you to your house you downright refused me even in your half unconscious state," he said slowly.
She hung her head low. She didn't want to reveal just how big of a mess her family is. Not when she barely had any relationship with Jaehyun. They were just getting started and he didn't deserve to be tangled in her ed-up family.

"There were… some problems. But nothing that I can't manage. Don’t worry," Yerim said softly.

"Rim… you know you could tell me everything right?"

Yerim nodded.

"I was telling you the truth last night, Rim. I wanted to try to build a relationship with you. And whatever burden you have, you're free to share your load with me. I've been burdening you countless times with my kids."

"No, no, Jaehyun. You’re not burdening me. When I'm ready… I'll tell you everything. I promise. But later, when I have settled everything down."

"Okay."
They were wrapped in silence and Jaehyun took his time to observe her. He knew ever since high school that Yerim never had the prettiest relationship with her family. She never admitted or told any of her friends about it but he just knew it. He knew her mother had passed away and she only had her father. But her father never comes to the school, not even for parents' meeting or her graduation. There’s something wrong, and he can sense it even though she kept everything to herself.

Yerim was the type to keep all her troubles to herself, so Jaehyun was used to seeing the girl handling all her life problems on her own. But now, Jaehyun wanted to start something with her and he sincerely hoped she would start sharing her feelings with him.

"It's getting late. You should probably go home to your kids," Yerim said softly, interrupting the silence.

"Will you be okay?"

"I spent 8 years in Japan by myself and look at me, I'm still alive," she chuckled weakly.

"I’m still worried. Just call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay, okay. And tell me if you're already home," she said softly as Jaehyun stood up.
"Oh, wait! Your suit!"

Yerim scrambled up to take off his suit that she wore albeit unwillingly. She liked his scent.

"You can keep it. It's okay. I'll get going now. Remember, tell me if you need anything, okay? Good night, Yerim, take care," Jaehyun smiled softly as he walked to the door.
"Jaehyun?"

"Mm hm?"

"Can I ask you one more thing then before you leave?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"Can you hug me? I think that's what I need the most right now," Yerim asked shyly as she played with the sleeves of Jaehyun's suit that she wore right now.

Jaehyun smiled at the girl's simple request. He stepped forward and pulled the shorter girl into his embrace. Yerim felt herself melting into his arms immediately. His scent, his warmth, everything about Jung Jaehyun is driving her crazy right now. She could already feel her stress evaporating into thin air instantaneously.

"You'll be okay, Yerim. And remember, you have me," Jaehyun said softly as he rubbed her back.

After what seems like forever, Yerim reluctantly pulled back.

"Thank you, Jaehyun. For everything."

Jaehyun smiled and waved one last time before leaving.

With his warmth still lingering around her, Yerim headed back inside, feeling lighter than ever. So, this is what it feels like to be taken care of.

 
A/N
dun dun dun! Yerim's family is ty as ever, nothing new, lol. And yet, she's keeping everything to herself. Please understand her, since she's worried that her trainwreck of a family might potentially put a wedge between her budding relationship with Jaehyun. But well, don't worry, Jaehyun will weave his way into Yerim's heart soon ;) *wink wink*
Let's hope that Yerim will learn soon that it's okay to admit that she's struggling and that it's completely fine to rely on someone else.
And for all of my readers, remember, you are never alone! The world is a big and vast place, and sometimes you feel like you have to shoulder all the weight of the world by yourself. But honey, you're not Atlas, and you don't have to carry the load on your own!
If you feel like you need someone to talk to, talk to me!
P.S: As usual, as a medical personnel, I'm doing my portion to spread awareness about the current pandemic. Don't forget to always wear your mask, wash your hands, keep your distance, and get vaccinated if possible!
There's a huge spike in Covid-19 cases here in Indonesia where I live at. Hospitals are getting overloaded, including the hospital where I'm interning at. We're forced to close some operations in order to accomodate the Covid-19 cases that has flooded our hospital. It's getting worse because a lot of health care workers are getting infected too. A lot of residents got infected, and sadly, one of a very close friend of mine and a fellow intern caught it after spending several hours working with the said resident in the pulmonary polyclinic and wards.
Bad news, I interacted with that friend a lot, and I happened to be working at the pulmonology polyclinic and wards for several hours a dat as well in the past week, so I have to self-isolate and get tested. Good news, I'm tested negative, as well as several residents and fellow interns. But still, to be safe, everyone was put off from work and told to self isolate for 2 weeks.
Most of my friends and colleagues who got infected were asymptomatic, and it's probably because they've gotten two doses of Covid-19 vaccination, so I really advise all of you to get vaccinated! And still, follow the local health protocols (wearing mask, washing hands, avoiding crowds, keeping distance, eating healthily).
Stay safe everyone! Sending love and prayer to all of my readers wherever you are.
Love, btfg <3