oo9 || arranged dates

the pursuit of happiness
 
09
 
arranged dates
"Son, you're going back to work today, right?" His mother asked.

"Uhm, yeah, I do," Jaehyun answered as he put on his tie while he prepared the kids' bags. Jeno shifted in his chair awkwardly as he's dressed in this uniform already. He ate his breakfast silently as he watched his father fussed over him.

"I really think you shouldn't live on your own. You're welcome to stay here, you know," his mother sighed. Jaehyun had decided to go back to his own apartment tomorrow and the older woman is worried on how his son will handle his two sons by himself.

"Eomma, I have to learn how to handle them myself. I'll be fine," Jaehyun smiled reassuringly as he put on his suit.

His mother can only sigh at her stubborn son.
"So, Jeno, ready for your first day?" Jaehyun smiled.



Jaehyun dropped Jeno first on the kindergarten. To his surprise, Jeno was greeted immediately by a boy who was actually the one who played building blocks with him yesterday. Jeno hugged him hard and Jaehyun kissed him several times to reassure him that he will be alright before going upstairs to drop Sungchan on the daycare. The ever-calm baby looked hardly bothered and had crawled happily on the mattresses on the floor right after the caretaker laid him down there. Well, at least one of his sons is completely fine.

He then raced back to his car for his first day of work in Seoul after months of being away. Just as he expected, when he first came to the lobby, the first face he saw was his trusted secretary.
Jaehyun smiled as he gave his keys to the valet.

"Director Jung!"

"Hi, Yoobin. Having fun without me in the office?" Jaehyun as they walked to the elevator. He smiled back to some employees who greeted him as they passed by.

"Ah, not really. Your younger brother is fun to be with but a bit…. Harder to control."

Jaehyun laughed. Jungwoo is indeed a ball of energy.

"How's Qingdao, sir? And oh, I heard from your brother that you adopted kids too. Congratulations, sir!"

Jaehyun smiled at the younger guy. "Lucas helps me a lot in China so it's fine. They've appointed a new director there. Qingdao's nice, but well, I still prefer our Seoul office. Hmm, and yes, I have kids now."

"Ah, I bet your mother is getting even more ecstatic to set you up on dates now."

"And that's your job to create excuses so I won't have to attend them, right, Yoobin?"

The young secretary groaned. His boss really hates dates and it seems like spending months in Qingdao hasn't change that!
Jaehyun entered his office and sat on his chair, feeling relaxed as he's finally back in his comfort zone.

"Anything I have to do today?"

"Nothing much for your first day, sir. Your brother had done some meetings on your stead. There are some proposals on your table. Your brother approved two of them but I guess you can check on them again, sir."

"Alright, Yoobin. I'll settle down first. Thank you for welcoming me back," Jaehyun smiled as he excused his secretary.

The guy smiled, "We all missed our beloved Director Jung Jaehyun, sir. And oh, check out those flowers and your favorite coffee as a welcome gift from this department!" The guy cheekily said before leaving the office. Jaehyun grinned at his employee warmly. He indeed like his Seoul office more!

He sipped his coffee as he scanned through the documents before him when he heard a knock on his door.

"Come in."
"Hyung!"

Jaehyun looked up to see his brother barreling inside and Yoobin shook his head tiredly as he let the young Jung inside.

"First day of work back in Seoul! Fun, eh?" Jungwoo grinned as he sits across his brother and starts spinning himself on the swivel chair.

"I can't believe you're the same person that handled my job and later got promoted. You must've given my secretary a hard time," Jaehyun sighed even though he couldn't stop the playful grin from coming to his face.

"Eh? No! Yoobin hyung loves me. Binnie hyung? You love me, right? How about you exchange places with my new secretary? I like you better!!" Jungwoo yelled. Not a second later Jaehyun's secretary holler back, "Thanks for the offer Mr. Jung, but I'm loyal to your older brother!!"
Jaehyun laughed as he signed one of the proposals on his desk.

"I went to work early today since appa wants to introduce me to the board. Anyways, heard from eomma that it's Jeno's first day of kindergarten. How is he holding up?"

"I brought him to the school yesterday and he sort of got a trial from the teacher and he seemed to enjoy it. And I haven't got any displeased call yet so I take it as he's doing well. He needs to work on his confidence anyway," Jaehyun shrugged as he signed one more document.

"Wow, you're fast with your work. Anywaaayyys, ma told me she's setting you up with one of her friends' daughter. Whoop whoop, it's gonna be fun! I’ll be having a sister-in-law soon!"

"Don’t get too excited. I'll chase them out or something, you know me," Jaehyun shrugged. He only dated once in his life and it didn't even last a year and he's been solo ever since. He’s fine being out of the dating business.

Jungwoo sighed.

"Look, hyung. Your kids will need a mother eventually, so just accept eomma's offers, alright? If it's any consolation, she only sets you up with the pretty ones, so good luck!" Jungwoo winked before exiting his room. Jaehyun heard him joking with Yoobin on the way out and Jaehyun could only click his tongue at his brother's childish behavior.



 
It was nearing seven and Jaehyun grew restless. He needs to pick up his kids. The daycare did provide their service until nine p.m, but still, Jaehyun knew how anxious Jeno is from being away from him.
"That's what the Daewoo corporation proposed sir. What do you think?"

Jaehyun looked up to his staff and nodded, "Send the full proposal to my desk tomorrow. I think the prospect's good for both parties. And the one from Haishen? Have we received any feedback? My brother told me he sent a proposal to them when I was still in Qingdao."

"Ah, that, sir. Haishen approved. The project will start next week. I will give the reports to you tomorrow as well," the man explained. Jaehyun nodded in satisfaction.

"Alright then, we can end the meeting here. I have to go and pick up my kids. See you tomorrow, thank you everyone for your hard work!"

Jaehyun bowed and smiled as he left the office. The staffs bowed back and smiled. They all love their kind hearted director.

There were rumors when their boss left the office for the Qingdao branch for nearly six months. They knew a new director has been appointed so it was strange for him to lengthen his stay. Everyone knew Director Jung Jaehyun never likes to stay behind in his work. People rumored that he secretly had kids in China. They knew their Director was single as ever so it was bizarre.

They were baffled when the director addressed the rumor himself earlier this afternoon, making it clear that he adopted two kids. Which was even more bizarre! Why would he adopt kids when he's unmarried? There were rumors that he was gay but then, is he? Nobody knew, but everyone knew that their Director is a good guy who is responsible and efficient with his work, yet also tolerating and kind to his workers. So, do they even care about the rumors that always surrounded their boss? Of course, no.

 
Jaehyun entered the colorful building, greeting the receptionist and a few parents who just picked up their kids as well. Jaehyun took the lift to the second floor and he peeked into the glass window, seeing Jeno sitting next to Sungchan who was in a bouncer, talking animatedly with several dolls—his trusted Mr. Bunny involved as well. The caretaker beside them bowed when she saw him looking through the glass window and patted Jeno's shoulder to notify him. The boy perked up immediately when he saw his appa and made a beeline to the door as Jaehyun entered the room. Jeno basically threw himself to his father's embrace.

"Had fun today?"

"Lots! But I miss appa and I only meet Sungchan later so I miss him too," Jeno pouted. The kindergarten did finish at twelve so Jeno probably met his brother during nap time and afterwards.

"Shall we go home now? You can tell appa what you did today during dinner. How does that sound?"

Jeno beamed as he nodded to run back to pick his small backpack.

Jaehyun smiled gratefully as he received Sungchan from the woman.

"Thank you for taking care of my sons today," he bowed before taking Jeno's hand.
The three of them arrived at home and Jaehyun hurried to fix themselves a quick dinner.

"Hungry?" He asked Jeno as he rolled up his sleeves.

"Very! Appa, we don't stay with halmae, halbae, and Woo samchon anymore?" Jeno asked as he approached his father.

"Ah, we have to live by ourselves now. Why? Jeno missed them?"

The boy nodded.

Jaehyun smiled as he put some cooked rice into the food processor.

"We can still see them this weekend, okay?"


Maybe his mother was right. It's better to leave the kids with her after school.


 
"Yoobin-ah, I'm gonna get out for a bit. Have to pick up my kids and drop them at eomma's home," Jaehyun said as he picked up his coat.

"Oh? I thought they stayed at the daycare or something, sir?"

"Yeah. Last week was hellish for me. Maybe it's best for them to stay at ma's. I can eat dinner there too so it's a win for me," Jaehyun grinned sheepishly.

"Alright, sir. Drive safely," his secretary bowed as Jaehyun exited his office.
Jaehyun drove to the kindergarten with a light heart and a smile rose onto his face when his son ran to him cheerily.

"Hi, baby! As I promised, starting today you'll spent the rest of the day at halmae’s."

The kid cheered and Jaehyun accepted his youngest son from the caretaker, bowing as he did so.

"Have you eaten your lunch?"

"Yes! I like the sausage. It tastes good," Jeno grinned.

Jaehyun smiled. It's always worth pulling an all-nighter preparing their breakfast and lunch the night prior so he didn't have to rush in the morning.

He drove the three of them to his mother's place and he smiled when he saw her already waiting at the door.

"Go greet your halmae," Jaehyun unbuckled Jeno's belt and the boy bolted off immediately to hug his grandmother.

"Halmae! I missed you!"

"Oh, you do?"

Jaehyun smiled softly as he handed his baby son to his mom.

"Are you going to go now?"

"Yes, ma. I have a meeting in an hour. Jeno-ya, have fun with halmae and Sungchanie, okay? Don't stress her out, appa will pick you up later!"

"Okay!"

Jaehyun's mother smiled fondly before turning to his son.

"Oh, son, I set you up on a date with a friend's daughter tonight!"
"Wait, what? Eommaaa!"

"What? You have promised me! Her name is Hyewon. I'll send you the details later. Don't bail out! She's a good girl!"

Her mom closed the door and Jaehyun sighed as he trotted back to his car.
The rest of his day passed by like a blur, going boringly as usual. When night rolls in, he begins to get restless. He really hates going on dates, especially arranged ones, specifically by his mother.

"Going back to your parents' home, sir?"

Jaehyun turned to his secretary, "Ah… yes. You too, go home now. Everything's done, right?"

"Ah, I have to send your approved reports back to the department first. But everything else is done, sir."

"Okay. I'll be going first. Good work today," Jaehyun patted his shoulder before he went out.

He drove his car to the restaurant his mother told him to go to. He's really not interested in meeting a girl or getting married. He's fine with his two kids, anyway. In fact, he's not even sure if any girl would want to be with a single dad like him.

And maybe that could be a good idea. Will the sound of single dad able to repel them?

Jaehyun entered the lavish restaurant and was greeted by a waiter.

"Appointment with Kang Hyewon, please," he said. The waiter bowed and led him to a table where a youthful girl sat.

"Ah, you must be Jaehyun oppa. Hi! I'm Kang Hyewon," the girl stood up and greeted him.

Jaehyun bowed back and smiled stiffly. The girl looked like she was even younger than Jungwoo. Definitely not his type.

"Shall we order first?" She offered and he nodded softly. They made their order and waited in silence until she talks again to break the ice.

"I heard from your mother that you just got back from working in Qingdao. How was China?" she said amiably, batting her eyelashes.

"Uhm... well it's fine. Nothing special," he answered, which was a lie. He got himself two precious boys from his stay. If anything, it was very special.

Hyewon nodded awkwardly at the guy's short remark.

They were bathed in silence again until the food came. They eat silently too with the girl desperately trying to make attempts on making Jaehyun like her. Which was futile.
After food was cleared from the table and the wine was served, Jaehyun inspected the girl in front of him. She was dressed with designer brands and he did not have any problems with that. He’s got the money to afford those. She's pretty too. But she looked… high maintenance. Maintaining his two growing kids were hard enough for him, he didn't need an extra challenge.

Jaehyun sipped his wine and sighed. Better end this now before the girl gets too hopeful.
"Look, Ms. Kang..."

"Ah, yes?"

"Do you… perhaps… hope something will come out from this meeting?"

The girl blushed before nodding, "Of course… You're the most sought-after bachelor in Seoul anyways…"
Jaehyun sighed.

"I'm sorry if I came out as rude, but Ms. Kang…. I already have kids."

The woman balked and choked on her wine.

"K-kids?!"

"Yes. I have two adopted kids."

The woman shook her head in disbelief.

"Oh my god. I'm sorry, but how old do you think I am?"

Jaehyun raised a brow. "Uhm… 26?"

Well, the girl clearly looked at least that old under her thick makeup.

Jaehyun watched as she puffed in anger.

"What? I'm 23! Oh my, do I look like someone who's ready to have two kids? I can't believe it…"

Jaehyun shrugged indefinitely, "I never asked you to mother my kids. Anyway, it was nice meeting you but I have to go back to my sons. I'll pay the dinner, don't worry. I'm sorry, and good night," Jaehyun stood up and bowed, leaving the furious girl behind.


 
Jaehyun entered his mother's house and received his son's eager hug first, ignoring his mother's furious glance.

"I received an angry call from Hyewon's mom earlier."

Jaehyun ignored her and went to pick up Sungchan who giggled happily on his embrace, oblivious to his grandmother's wrath.

"Jung Jaehyun!"

Jaehyun sighed and turned to face his mom.

"Ma… she's younger than Woo! Are you crazy? She refused me instantly when I told her I have kids!"

The Jung mother balked immediately, "You told her about your sons?! Oh my, Jung Jaehyun! You're way crazier! No one said that on the first date!"

"Eommaaa! I just want to be honest and sure. Whoever dates me and potentially…. Will be arranged to marry me, should accept my kids."

His mother sighed dramatically and Jaehyun shrugged.

"Look, at least set me up with someone of my age. Or older, heck I don't care. You can't set me up with young... immature.... girls!" Jaehyun shuddered as he remembered the girl from earlier.

"It's going to be hard since girls your age are mostly married already! Gosh, when can you be like Sicheng or Ten," her mother sighed and Jaehyun patted her back,
"I don't know, ma. I'm not really looking forward for it."


 
To be honest, Jaehyun didn't date not because he was traumatized. He's simply uninterested with building a romantic relationship with someone. Jaehyun is a person who didn't like to break out of his comfort zone. And dating someone means opening up yourself to a complete stranger and Jaehyun didn't feel entirely ready for that.

As the oldest child, he's used to having to be the mature one. All his life he struggled to find a partner who can keep up with him. His friends used to set him up with a girl back then in college, and it didn't work at all. After that, Jaehyun simply gave up.

Through the next few weeks, her mother kept sending him out to dates with girls and it infuriates him since all of them are younger than him. He felt like he has stressed it enough that he wants someone mature who can understand him, not an extra person to babysit. Out of five dates, all five were scared away when he told them he had kids.

So, Jaehyun was not happy when her mother barged in into his office one day, practically seething with rage.
"Jung Jaehyun! What have you done to Chaeyoung?!"

"Eomma… she's practically a porcelain doll! I can't stand women like her. Ugh, she even expressed how she hates me once she knew I'm a father," Jaehyun excused.

His mother massaged her throbbing temple.

"I told you not to talk about your kids on the first date!”

“But I want to be transparent!” Jaehyun insisted stubbornly.

Mrs. Jung sighed in defeat. “Alright. I only had one more girl left and I swear, if you screw this up, I'm gonna force you into a marriage or something. This is someone our family knew well so don't embarrass me, okay?!"

Jaehyun stopped typing on his keyboard and looked up.

"Tomorrow you should meet this one. She's very kind and I like her a lot and I have high hopes. Your father and I met her father earlier this week during a conference and we learned how she's still single, which is a miracle considering her background. She used to be your friend, I believed," she said as she scrolled up through her contact.

"My friend? Who?" Jaehyun perked up in curiosity.

"Kim Yerim. You remember her, right?"
Jaehyun choked on his own spit upon hearing the name.

"Y-Yerim? Kim Yerim?! Isn't she living abroad or something? She left right after high school!"

"Uhm, well she's here now. Don't fail us this time okay? I am starting to remember her now. Yerim is a good girl," the Jung lady sent her a son a pointed look before leaving the office, leaving the stunned son inside.
A/N
Yerim will finally make an appearance next chapter!!!!!! I promise!!! I've postponed things long enough, it's time for Jaehyun to finally meet the female protege!
Anyways, Taemin just came back and I think I'm in love lol.
AND WE GET SUNGCHAN DANCING TO HOT SAUCE! my life is complete now. And also during children's day on inkigayo Sungchan showed his baby picture and I was asdfghjk yep, that's the face Little Jeno saw and made him rescue the poor baby, and yep, that's also the face that made Jaehyun impulsively adopted him!
p.s Joy is debuting soon, and God, my life just gets 200000x better.
Thankyou anyone and everyone who had read, commented, subscribed, or upvoted this story. It means a lot to me!
Love, btfg <3