o30 || marry me

the pursuit of happiness
 
30
 
marry me
After the whole ordeal with her father, Yerim kept herself close to Jaehyun. And not that the man is complaining, he's enjoying the time he had with her. Everything seems okay. Yerim is not anxious when she has the kids and Jaehyun around her. And Jaehyun never felt this happy in years.

"Alright. I'll see you after work. Love you."

Jaehyun hung up his phone as he entered the Imperial Hotel. There's a big meeting and he's required to come since his father is on a trip to Taipei. He sat down next to Jungwoo while the said guy sat next to Sicheng. From their boring faces everyone could see that the three of them don't seem too delighted in coming here.

"It looks like it's going to be boring," Jungwoo yawned as he twirled his pen.

"It's your first time here. And this is our fourth time. If someone should be bored, the person should be us," Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. So, Sicheng hyung. How's Lining doing?" Jungwoo turned to his right.

"She's doing well. Getting more active and still drinking milk like a boss."

"Soon she'll be eating porridge and you'll be wishing she'd keep drinking only milk," Jaehyun chuckled.

"Is Sungchan a picky eater?"

"Nah. He's a food monster. It's just that he's begun teething now so he got cranky a lot. Yerim is on a baking frenzy nowadays after finding recipes for teething cookies. But he shouldn't eat that much sweet stuffs so sometimes he had to suffice with toys."

"He must've been so cute. Shall we get together again sometime? I missed your kids. And we should introduce them to my daughter!"

"That sounds cool. But first, the meeting."

"Urgh, spoilsport!"
After a boring two hours, it was finally time for a coffee break.

"Hyung, want some coffee?"

"Yeah sure. I'll just go and call Driver Han first since he will be picking up the kids," Jaehyun said to Jungwoo before stepping out of the meeting room to the rooftop.
He gave the old man a call and pocketed his cell phone again when he heard footsteps approaching him.
"Jung Jaehyun, huh? Director of Hanryang Electronics. Father of two bastard children."
Jaehyun turned around and furrowed his brow when he saw the guy who was smoking a stick of cigarette across him. He took a step back, not liking the smell. He's not a smoker and he stayed away from one most of the time.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Jaehyun asked firmly.

"I'm Lee Hyuk. General Manager for Sungjin Group Corporation. And oh, Kim Yerim's future husband. Nice to meet you," the guy smirked as he exhaled a puff of smoke.
Jaehyun groaned inwardly. He finally knew who he was facing. Bastard Lee Hyuk.

"The last time I checked, I was the one who put a ring on her finger a few months ago. Who are you again?"
Lee Hyuk let out a chuckle before blowing his cigarette calmly.

"I was the one who got her family's blessing. Don't you think I suited her more? Sweet, pretty, Yerim. Her body is to die for. Wonder what I would do on our first night together."
That's it. That’s the limit.
"Shut the up. Yerim is not marrying you, you son of a ," Jaehyun growled as he grabbed the man's collar.

"It's your own fault anyway. Don't you think Yerim's too young to mother your bastard chil—"
"You're the bastard one."

"Ooh, feisty. All I know is you're an insecure lad who didn't have the guts to properly meet her family to marry her quickly. Admit it. I'm a much better fit. She will look great as a trophy wife standing next to me. She'd be perfect for me to show around."

"Shut. The. . Up."

"We're going to have a family meeting next week. Wait until I snatch her away from your weak little fists."
And that's all that it took for Jaehyun to throw a punch in his direction.
"Jaehyun hyung!"
He ignored Jungwoo's scream as he tackled the man down.
"Stop running your filthy mouth. And don't come near Yerim. She's never yours to begin with." Jaehyun let go of his iron grip on the man's collar before walking away, ignoring the said guy's string of curses directed towards him, and also giving no about the people looking at him. He briskly walked to the elevator, about to close the metal door until his two companions came running inside.
"Hei! Jung Jaehyun, you ! Where are you going!" Sicheng yelled, running for his friend.

"I gotta go see Yerim's father."

"What the hell, hyung? What happened? Since when did you have a beef with the Sungjin Group's heir?" Jungwoo asked.
Jaehyun sighed.

"Yerim will probably give me a beating for telling you guys, but basically her family is made up of money loving scumbags that treated her like . And they've been pining on her late grandfather's inheritance."

"And so?"

"They could only claim it after all the Kim's grandchildren are married. Yerim's the only unmarried one."

"But you're engaged to her. And I still don't know what Yerim having a ed-up family has got to do with the Sungjin Group's son?" Sicheng remarked confusedly.

"Her family thought that Yerim and I were taking too long. And now they're forcing her to go on an arranged marriage with that er."
Both Sicheng and Jungwoo's jaws dropped.

"That's ridiculous!" Jungwoo complained.

"And bat crazy!" Sicheng added."
"That's why I need to see Yerim's father. Can you guys cover for me? I really need to go," Jaehyun begged anxiously as he pressed the lobby button repeatedly.

"Sure, sure. We'll be here. Call us if you need anything. Good luck and take care, Jaehyun," Sicheng patted his back sympathetically.

"Fighting, hyung!" Jungwoo gave his brother a short hug.

Jaehyun gave them a thankful nod before stepping out of the elevator.

He needs to fix this problem. Yerim will probably throw a fit if she knew he came to her father but that's the least of his worries now. He's got a girl to fight for.


 



 

"I'm sorry, sir. Have you made a prior appointment?"

Jaehyun groaned, "Please tell Mr. Kim that I'm Jung Jaehyun, her daughter's fiancée."

The secretary looked a little baffled and she shuffled inside the big boss' room, coming back out five minutes later.

"Mr. Kim said you can come in now."
Jaehyun who was pacing back and forth restlessly breathed out in relief. He thanked the woman before stepping inside. When he came, he bowed first, greeting the man. His first impression was that the old man looked stiff and cold. Quite the opposite of Yerim. Apart from their nose, Yerim didn't really look like him.
"Good afternoon, sir. I'm Jung Jaehyun, Yerim's fiancée. I apologize for taking too long to meet you."

The man nodded shortly and Jaehyun stepped closer to his desk.

"Did Yerim tell you about the family meeting last weekend?"

"Yes, sir."

"I never knew you guys were engaged. Yerim only told me she had a relationship with you."

"We actually got engaged a few months ago, sir. Although Yerim and I just met again after many years, we were once really close friends and we knew each other well. And we're both ready to enter a serious relationship since we're already nearing our thirties."

"Yerim told us she's not getting married anytime soon. We assumed the two of you were still fooling around. Our family had agreed on marrying Yerim to the Lee's son. You came too late, kid."

Jaehyun balled his fists tightly and took a sharp breath.

"I'm sorry, sir, but Yerim and I love each other so much, I can't let that happen. Yerim has been unhappy for so long and I can't let her spend the rest of her life in misery. If you want a spring wedding next year, I'll make sure to send you the invitation soon. But please, let me marry Yerim. She didn't get to be loved for years, and I'm willing to devote my life to love her. She didn't deserve to be with Mr. Lee. I'm sorry if I appear impolite, but I just want the best for Yerim. Thank you so much sir. Have a good day."

Jaehyun deeply bowed, leaving no room for Mr. Kim to comment on before turning on his heels to leave the room.

Now he needs to see her.


 



 

Jaehyun drove as fast as he could to Yerim's workplace. His first instinct told him to go to the cafe and when he hastily entered the place, he was instantly welcomed by the dogs. He scanned the room and saw neither Yerim nor her kids inside.

"Oh, Mr. Jung! Looking for—"

"Yeah, where's Yerim?" He asked impatiently.

The waiter gulped, a bit shocked at the usually calm man’s brash response, before answering, "Ms. Kim stayed in her office aft—"

"Thank you!"
The cashier sputtered at his rushed tone, and Jaehyun ran behind the counter to the door, ignoring the employees only sign, before running through the passageway leading to her office. He panted as he arrived in front of her door. He could hear laughter inside.

He burst in without knocking, shocking the people inside which consisted of Jeno who was sitting on the couch, Sungchan on his baby walker, and Yerim standing awkwardly between them.
"Jaehyun? I thought you we—"
Jaehyun immediately went to her side and engulfed her in a tight embrace.

"Yerim. Let's get married this spring. Please?"
Yerim pulled back and blinked confusedly.

"What?"

"Jeno? Can you keep an eye on Sungchan? Appa needs to talk to your eomma first, okay?"
Jeno, who was still stunned at his father's sudden appearance, nodded wordlessly. Jaehyun gripped Yerim's wrist and pulled her outside. He spotted a couch outside and pulled her to sit down.
"Hey, what's wrong?" Yerim held Jaehyun's hands as she asked carefully.

"I met Lee Hyuk at the business meeting earlier."
Yerim's eyes widened immediately.

"W-what?!"

"He told me your family and his will hold a meeting next week. They're really serious about marrying you off with him even though he knows you're in a relationship with me. And then he said several other inappropriate things. And so, I punched him," Jaehyun said as he hung his head.

"What? Oh, Jaehyun… Are you hurt?" Yerim asked as she examined his knuckles, noticing a purplish shade on his right one.

"No. But I might have busted his lips."

"Oh my god, Jae…."
"I know you're going to be super mad at me for the next thing I did but trust me, I did this because I love you so much and I didn't want to lose you."

"W-what else did you do, Jaehyun?"

"I visited your father in his office."
"You what?! Jaehyun!" Yerim stood up exasperatedly.
"But that man insisted on marrying you off to that er! And I can't let that happen, Yerim," Jaehyun tore out his hair in frustration before standing up as well.

"Look, Yerim. He told me I was too late. He told me I was only fooling around with you! And then that bastard Lee Hyuk... He said he would make you a trophy wife he could parade around. He called my boys bastard children and you're unfit to be their mother. You think I can stay put after hearing those?" Jaehyun gripped her shoulders and spoke firmly. Yerim could hear the desperation in his voice that was slightly trembling.
"J-Jaehyun…"

"Yerim, I can't let you go. I love you too much. Ten years without you was awful. I can't let you out of my life. No."
Yerim felt herself crying as well when she saw tears glistening on Jaehyun's eyes.

"Oh my god, Jaehyun, I'm sorry," she buried her face in his chest immediately, wrapping her arms around his waist.
Jaehyun embraced her back and sniffled quietly against the crown of her head.

"Marry me, Yerim. I can't let you live miserably with that bastard. Please, I'll make you happy. I can't promise that we won't fight in the future but I promise we'll make up after that. I will give you a wonderful family, I'll be a great husband. Please, just—"
Yerim cupped his cheeks and pulled him down for a kiss. She pulled back but he held her tight, deepening the kiss, hoping he could convey all his feelings to her. Once they felt the need to breathe, they pulled away, panting as they did so.

Jaehyun momentarily closed his eyes, resting his forehead against her, keeping her close. God, he nearly lost his sanity today.

Yerim smiled softly, caressing his cheeks gently. She never thought there’d be a time like this in her life.
"You proposed to me two months ago, Jaehyun. I said yes. There’s no need to be worried, okay? So, a spring wedding?"
Jaehyun let out a laugh as he hugged her again before twirling her around.

"I was so scared I'm gonna lose you to a cocky, dumb bastard that smokes like a train. God, I love you."

Yerim giggled, "I love you too, you idiot. Now, let's go back inside. Poor Jeno was so confused!"
A/N
I'm one day late, but i hope it is okay...?
So! We met Lee Hyuk! And as expected of Jaehyun, no one can stop him from being with the love of his life! I actually worked really hard on finishing the whole story, so now I only have to post them! Hopefully, I can stay on track on updating every sunday.
Today was a very hectic day on the forensic unit, and i have to do an autopsy on a suicide victim. it was very saddening and concerning, especially since none of the family members came to claim the body. we didn't see any suicide note, but the fact that this man chose to go this way meant that he was already at the end of his stick, and i wcould only wish him peace now that he's free from the cruelty of this world.
since October 10th (last week) was also world mental health day, i would like to use this opportunity to tell all of you that you are not alone! if you feel like you're struggling, do not hesitate to reach for help from an expert, and hopefully you can get your emotions all sorted out. if you need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out to me here, or on twitter (@nauranindyaa) and i will gladly be there for you. if any of you is struggling with life these past few days, i hope everything will turn out well, and i hope each one of you is always happy and healthy, physically and mentally. sending a lot of love to all of you!
Love, btfg <3