oo8 || getting better

the pursuit of happiness
 
08
 
getting better
Just like the doctor said, when the night came, the children were all getting fussy. Sungchan got a bit feverish and he downright refused to drink his milk. But Jeno… Poor boy got it worse. His body is already in bad condition due to his lack of weight, so the reaction to the shots were stronger. He had a higher fever and he was very lethargic.

"Jeno? Baby? You have to eat and drink your medicine so you will be stronger," Jaehyun coaxed the weak boy in his lap as he watched his mother fussing over Sungchan. The baby seemed to have accepted his milk bottle and is now silently drinking his milk.

"Not much. Just a little, please, Jen?"
Jeno felt a little bad for his father but he felt really awful so he didn't have the energy to eat.

Jaehyun put the spoonful of soup in front of Jeno's mouth and the boy unwillingly took it.

"Good boy. If you eat more, you can be healthier tomorrow," Jaehyun praised the boy.

All in all, it took a lot of coaxing for Jeno to finish his soup but he managed to down them all including his fever medicine. Jaehyun patted the boy's back as he clung onto him.

He never took care of a sick child before. Jungwoo was very healthy as a kid and he rarely got sick so he got no recollection of himself or his mother taking care of a sick baby.

He watched his mother change Sungchan's diaper before putting the baby to sleep. Maybe tired from crying, the boy went to sleep pretty quickly.

"I can help take care of Sungchan. You can focus on our poor Jeno," his mother said. Her son told her about the trip to the hospital and her heart breaks when she heard about the results. She couldn't imagine what kind of past that the little boy had.

"Alright, ma. Thank you so much," Jaehyun said as he stood up to go to his room. He sat on the bed, still patting Jeno's back, feeling his breath falling into his neck. It was warmer than normal and Jaehyun was very worried.

"Hyung? I brought home some fever patch," Jungwoo appeared from the door and Jaehyun gave him a thankful smile.

"Jeno, buddy, samchon will place this on your head so your head don't hurt, okay?" Jungwoo coaxed the boy to lift his head from the crook of Jaehyun's neck. Jeno lifted his head and stared at his samchon with bleary eyes. Jungwoo winced as he brushed Jeno's bangs aside to stick the fever patch on his forehead. The boy lets out a hum after the coldness began to sank in, before snuggling back to his appa's embrace.

"Thanks a lot, Woo."

"It's nothing, hyung. Hope they all get better tomorrow," Jungwoo patted his brother's shoulder before leaving the room.
Jaehyun was grateful when the next morning he woke up and felt Jeno's body heat subsiding. The boy is still clinging onto him and he unwillingly unlaced the boy's grip so he could shower.

When he finished showering, as he expected, the boy is awake. He looked a little pale but much better than last night.

"Hi, baby. Feeling better?" Jaehyun asked. Jeno nodded and sighed when he felt his father's cold palm came in contact with his neck.

"Still hot," Jeno complained and Jaehyun took the thermometer on his bedside table to check Jeno's temperature.

37,6 degrees.

Still warm, but much better than the number he had to see last night.

Jaehyun sighed and he undressed Jeno from his sweat-drenched shirt before pulling the boy to cling onto his topless upper body which was still cool from the shower. He winced at the heat Jeno's body was emanating but the boy snuggled closer in comfort, liking the coolness.

He held onto Jeno for several minutes until the boy opened his eyes again.

"Appa, where is Sungchanie?"

"Sungchan? He is with halmae."

"Sungchan sick too?"

"Yes, he is sick too."

"Can I see him?"

"Well… you can. But you have to eat breakfast first, okay? Sungchanie is downstairs, and if we go downstairs, we have to eat breakfast," Jaehyun bargained.

Jeno pulled himself from his father's embrace, pondering for a few seconds, before nodding.

Jaehyun smiled in relief, "Alright, shall we wash your face and get changed then?"


 


 

"Sungchanie!" Jeno escaped from his father's embrace and walked as fast as he could to approach his brother who was giggling as if he hasn't suffered from a fever last night.

Everyone on the dining table smiled at the heartwarming interaction. Jeno is hugging his brother who was perched calmly on his bouncer.

"Jeno, are you feeling better?" Jaehyun's mother asked.

Jeno nodded happily.

"That's good to know. Halmae made another soup, it's different from last night. It's more delicious. Let's eat breakfast so you will get stronger and you can play with Sungchan again, okay?"

Jeno nodded obediently as he raised his arms, asking his appa to pick him up since he can't reach the tall chairs yet.

Jaehyun gave him his little bowl of soup and the boy eat it happily.

"It still amazes me how he can eat vegetable as deliciously as that. Eomma had to smuggle them into various types of dishes first for me to eat it," Jungwoo mused as he watched his nephew eat.
Jaehyun's father chuckled as he saw his grandson happily eating the carrots in his soup.

"Jeno likes carrots?"

"A lot! Appa said eating carrots will make my eyes good," he answered innocently. Jaehyun patted his head lovingly before picking his youngest son from the bouncer to put him on his lap. His mother was kind enough to cook him Sungchan's first ever baby food.

"Appa? Sungchan’s not drinking milk?"

"Sungchan can start eating porridge now," Jaehyun explained as he blew on the mushy white concoction in front of him.

"Wait, hyung! We should document this. This should go down in history as Sungchan’s first baby food," Jungwoo bolted to take his cellphone before standing next to Jaehyun.

"Alright, little guy. Your first taste of human food, you ready?"

Jaehyun put the spoon in front of the curious baby and Sungchan ate it slowly. Everyone was silent, even Jeno, curious of Sungchan's reaction.

The baby beamed and pulled Jaehyun's wrist, asking for another bite and Jaehyun's mother sighed in relief.

"I'll search for other recipes soon!"

 


Jaehyun had spent the day finalizing the kids' adoption and registering them under his name for their family registration. He went back home to see Jeno in the couch sitting down next to his grandmother, the family photo album spread before them.

"Eomma?"

Jeno perked up at his father's voice and he jumped from the couch to hug him.

"Hi, baby. Having fun with halmae?" Jaehyun asked at the kid pulled his hand to go sit on the couch.

"Halmae showed me appa's baby pictures. Appa cute!"
Jaehyun cringed at a picture of him in an awful bowl cut, wearing nothing but his diaper and his bib that Jeno pointed out.
"You were a little angel when you were a kid," his mother smiled as she picked up a picture of Jaehyun wrapped in a duck patterned towel.

"You were very attached to us, especially to your dad. You rarely cried and most of the time you're just smiling happily or giggling by yourself. You don't mind being held by people. You're not fussy with your food too. Just like Jeno and Sungchan now. It's a bit melancholic to know that my baby son already has his babies now," his mother reminisced.

"Is this Jungwoo samchon?" Jeno pointed out. Jaehyun laughed at the picture. In the picture, they were splashed with paint by their older cousin. Their cousin was beaming, Jungwoo was wailing, and Jaehyun simply had a confused expression on his face.

"By the way, son, your father asked something. When will you return to work? Jungwoo has been doing a great job covering your position, but your father was thinking of promoting him as a director in one of the subsidiaries."

"Ah that… actually I've been thinking on enrolling Jeno to kindergarten so I can go to work. I'm looking for a kindergarten that provides daycare service as well so Sungchan had a place to go to."

"Hey, I don't mind taking care of them, son."

"I know mom, but I don't want to trouble you. Jeno is five and next year he'll start elementary school. I think it's best for him to go to a kindergarten so he can socialize and learn how to read and write."

His mother nodded.

"Alright then. Can you start working next week then?"

"Uhm, it depends on the—"

"Finding the kindergarten, I know. I'm waiting for you to go back to work not only because of your brother but also because I'm already setting you up with this kind girl, my friend's daughter!"

Jaehyun groaned unceremoniously at his mother.

"Eommaaa!"


 
"Appa, what is this place?" Jeno gripped his father's hand tighter when they entered the colorful building. The people inside greeted him warmly but he chose to hide behind his father's back instead.

"This, Jeno, is a kindergarten," Jaehyun said as they stopped in front of a classroom. Jaehyun picked his son up so he could see from the big glass window. There are around fifteen kids of his age playing inside with various toys.

"Tomorrow, Jeno will go here."

"With appa and Sungchanie?"

"No, of course. Just Jeno. But see? Jeno will have lots of friends inside!" Jaehyun pointed.

A woman from inside the classroom smiled at them before standing up and going outside.

"Hello, I am teacher Shim."

"Ah, Good Morning, ma'am."

"Is this the Jung Jeno that will be joining our class tomorrow?" The teacher smiled warmly and Jaehyun nodded.

"Jeno, why don't you greet your teacher? She will be with you tomorrow," Jaehyun prodded gently.

Jeno shyly bowed, "Hello teacher, I am Jeno."

"I think I can bring Jeno inside so he can get familiarized with the other students and the class environments. Will that be okay?" The woman asks.

"Oh, that would be great! Thank you so much, ma'am!"

"Jeno, do you want to come inside? What's your favorite thing to do?" The kind teacher asks.

"Uhm... playing?"

"What toy do you like to play?"

"Plane! And cars!"

"Oh, we have a lot of those inside! And Jeno, do you like coloring?"

"Yes, I do!"

"How about reading books?"

"Uhm, I can't read so appa read them for me," he shyly answered.

"We have lots of lots of interesting books inside! And the teachers here can teach you how to read too. You can meet those wonderful friends as well. Want to come with me inside?" The woman offered her hand.

Jeno looked up to his father with a worried expression and Jaehyun smiled gently before softly patting the kid's head, "Go ahead, Jeno. Have fun inside."

"Appa?"

"Appa will be here so appa can see you play too."

Jeno hesitantly take the teacher's hand before going inside.
Jaehyun watched as the shy boy got introduced to the kids inside and watched as the boy got flocked by his classmates instantly. He saw how another boy dragged him to a set of building blocks and how he watched his friends show him how to build a castle or sort of.

After half an hour or so, Jaehyun felt relief washing over him when he saw Jeno blending in with his same-age friends, despite not wearing the school’s uniform yet. He saw the boy shyly waved at him before he got pulled by a girl to the coloring area. Jaehyun smiled happily. Maybe he's worrying too much. Jeno seems to like the place already!
A/N
Hi ho! I'm back with something light and fluffy because NCT DREAM IS COMING BACK AND I'M SO HAPPYYY!!! Yay to seeing Jeno! He's really an eye-catcher and bias wrecker this comeback. I'm waiting for them to perform in Inkigayo so we can get ourself some Jeno-Sungchan interactions. Don't we all love some real life interactions of our Jung brothers?
Tbh, my bias in dreamies is Chenle, and boy, he popped off this comeback. Please support Hot Sauce, everyone!
(My favorite song is Dive Into you and rainbow, btw!)
Love, btfg <3