o17 || opening up

the pursuit of happiness
 
17
 
opening up
Dinner with the Jungs was festive. Mrs. Jung is naturally a very chipper person so she kept the atmosphere quite lovely. Jungwoo was also popping jokes here and there, and definitely a lot of teasing directed towards her and Jaehyun. Mr. Jung loves to make awful dad jokes and both his wife and his children groaned whenever he made one but Yerim likes it. Her father was not like that, so she enjoyed his questionable comedy sense. And then there's the kids. Jeno the ever curious, who asks about every single thing, mostly about their food. And Sungchan, who likes to shriek at random times.
She never experienced this at home. During high school, she had attended numerous dinner invitations from her friends—Sicheng, Ten and Lucas, Mark, and Dejun. But after she moved to Japan, she only has herself and no one particularly close to share family dinners with. Sure, she’s got classmates and friends, but no one close enough to her like her friends from back home did, so she found herself being lonely most of the time.
She watched the Jung boys bickered around the living room table over a go-stop game and Jeno looking curiously from his father's lap.
"Jen, you shouldn't answer them or appa will lose!" Jaehyun protested since Jeno always answered Jungwoo or Jaehyun’s father whenever they asked him what cards Jaehyun had.
"Rim, would you like to come with me to the garden for a while? Let’s have some girl talks," Mrs. Jung said softly.

Jaehyun turned his head immediately and his mother threw him a look.

"What? You boys are having fun and I want to have some girls’ fun too!"

Yerim laughed, "It’s alright, Jae. Let's go, imo."

The older female led the way to the back garden and they sat down on the table. Mrs. Jung ordered the maid to serve them some tea and to cut a few slices of Yerim's mille crepes.
"So, how are you doing, Yerim?"

"I'm doing quite well, imo. The clinic is still busy as usual, the shelter has been attracting many adopters, probably due to the popularity of the cafe."

"Ah, I really wanted to visit. Maybe with some of my friends, see if they're interested in adopting or making donations."

"That would be lovely, imo! I'd love to spend more time with you again!"

Mrs. Jung smiled. She really does like Yerim.

"How was Japan, darling? Jaehyun told me you were staying there for eight years."

"It was fine. I felt lonely there, but I gained a lot of experiences there both as a vet and as a pastry chef. They have so many cool dessert cafes!"

"Oh, you must've loved baking so much!"

"Well, my mother before she passed away… she used to bake a lot. Sometimes when I miss her, I just bake one of her old recipes and it would feel as if she's cooking it for me," Yerim mused.

"How about your father then?"

"Uhm… I don't know if Jaehyun told you, but I don't have the best relationship with him. That's why sometimes I envied Jaehyun and Jungwoo. They have a very beautiful relationship with samchon..." Yerim answered awkwardly.

"Oh, I'm sorry, dear. I didn't know…"

"It's okay, imo. I'm not exactly proud that I live away from my father now, but that's what's been giving me peace of mind.”

"Honey, if you'd like to, you can always come here, okay? Jaehyun and Jungwoo’s friends are all considered family. You are like my own daughter. We all love you very much. Especially Jaehyun. Too bad he's not good at expressing his feelings. Speaking of which, how's your relationship with him?"

Yerim blushed a little at Mrs. Jung’s question.

"Uhm, actually, imo, Jaehyun and I had a talk a while back. He told me he wanted to start a relationship with me. We're not yet dating, but we're getting closer… I guess? It's not like we can rush things out. I mean, since Jaehyun already has two sons and all…"

"But, honey, are you alright? With Jaehyun…"

"Having sons? Oh, I'm completely fine with it, imo! If anything, I love those little babies so much! I found Jaehyun very admirable for having the courage to adopt them."

"Ah, I'm glad then. I saw Jeno with you… He seems to like you a lot. He's really longing for a mother figure, isn't he?"

"Well, I really like him a lot too. He had a lot of scars from his painful past. He's such a strong and loving kid. Jaehyun is going to raise him very well."

"I really hope your relationship with Jaehyun will go very well, dear. You're such a beautiful, kind hearted, and smart girl, Yerim. Your mother will be very proud to see how far you have gone. And if you don’t mind, I... I’d love to be a mother figure for you too. You're the only one who understood Jaehyun the best. And you even accepted the fact that he had kids. I’m really glad Jaehyun got to meet you again, and I’m sure Sicheng and the others are happy to see you again. We’re all happy that you’re back!"
Yerim felt her eyes watering. She never felt this loved in years. With her family’s ed-up situation, she never knew she was longing for affection this much.

"Oh, sweetheart, why are you crying? Come here, give me a hug. I never meant to make you cry!"

Yerim let herself be embraced by the kind lady.

"Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve this much love from people. Both Jaehyun and your family gave me so much love in such a short span of time, the kind of love my family failed to give me in the past ten years. I feel very thankful, imo."

Mrs. Jung hugged her tighter and patted her shoulder.

"It's okay, honey. You got us. You got us."

Yerim nodded. She’s not alone, at least not anymore. She’s got all her friends back, and most importantly, she has Jaehyun and his wonderful family. Maybe it’s time to finally tear down those walls she had built carefully around herself, and started letting people in. If she never talked about her feelings, people would never know, and no one would ever understand how it felt to be in her shoes.

It’s probably going to be difficult, opening up, but it’s been long overdue. But she’ll try. For Jaehyun, she’ll try. And for the sake of her own happiness, she’ll try earnestly.


 




"Why did you cry, huh?"

Jaehyun came in ten minutes ago to find the girl he's courting crying in his mother's embrace and he truly didn't know how to react. His mother left after giving him a pat on the shoulder and he was left with the crying girl.

He gave the girl a hug and she cried even more so he was utterly confused.

"Hey, what's wrong?"
Yerim hiccupped and buried her face deeper into Jaehyun's chest. She took a deep breath, inhaling his comforting scent.

"Rim?"

Jaehyun rubbed her back and he was relieved when he felt her shoulders slowly stop shaking.
"Jaehyun?"

"Hmm?"

"I want to tell you everything."

"Huh?"

"The reason I left home… and everything. From the start."

"Are you sure? Rim, I’m really grateful that you trust me to share your story with my, but if you’re not ready you don’t—”

“No. I want to,” Yerim said firmly.

Jaehyun sighed, “Okay. I'll listen to you."
Jaehyun rubbed comforting circles on her back as she tried to regulate her breathing.

"So… you probably knew, my mother had passed away."

"Uhm, yes."

"She passed away when I was 8 years old. It was a normal day, she picked me up after school. We were supposed to go straight home but I wanted some ice cream. She relented and we decided to go grab some sundaes before we went home. But then… some drunken bastards… They hit our car. The driver was quick to swerve, but in exchange, the car hit my mother’s side of the car. It was very nasty, I could still remember the pain shooting through my body, all the blood splatter, my mother's cries…."

She paused as sobs ransacked her body. Jaehyun pulled her back into his chest, trying to calm her down. He never knew she had this kind of story.

She hastily wiped her tears before continuing, "After the ambulance came, I don't remember clearly, but I was still awake and it hurt so much. My mother forced the paramedics to take me first. I remembered being carried to the stretcher, and I saw people trying to evacuate her from the car. I lost consciousness and when I woke up four days later… she was already gone. She passed away before she was able to reach the hospital."

Jaehyun tightened his hold on her as she wept silently.

"I was traumatized, I was scared. I was only eight, God. But my mother's family… they were mad. They… they blamed me for her death. They erased me from the family registry!"

"What?! That doesn't make sense!"

"I know. But it happened. And I don't even know what happened back then since I was still very little."

"And your father?"
Yerim lets out a bitter laugh as she reminisces about her father's response regarding the accident.

"He blamed me as well. He loved my mother so much. He never really wanted a daughter. He wanted a son. And the reason why he hated me was… because my mother was actually pregnant at that time. With a son. I killed his wife and I killed his future heir."

Jaehyun watched as she trembled, her voice disappearing into a whisper as she kept repeating how she killed her mother and her unborn brother.
"Yerim… It wasn't your fault. You were eight! You didn’t even knew that—"

Yerim shook her head weakly.

"My father wasn't the same anymore after that. I lost not only my mom and my brother… but I also lost my father too. I lost my other family. My father's family basically had been trying to remove me from the family. My grandfather was the only one who stood up for me. And two years ago… he passed away. I am now alone. I have no one."
"Yerim, look, you have me. Remember that."

Yerim nodded.

"I know, that's why I felt bad. My grandfather left a will. One of them says that there's a big sum of inheritance that will be passed on, but it requires all of his grandchildren to be married before it can be granted. And Jaehyun… I was the only unmarried one."
Jaehyun went silent, not knowing how to respond.

"Ever since I turned twenty, they've been setting me up and forcing me into marriages. That's why I ran away to Japan. I wanted to escape their schemes. But two years ago, when harabeoji passed away… I had to go home and pay my respect. Harabeoji was the one who saved me. Without his help, I don't think I could even exist now. After I went back, everything became worse. And this time… my father had been pressuring me into… marrying you."

Jaehyun looked up at her and she shook her head immediately.

"No, Jaehyun. I know what you're thinking. We're barely starting something and I don't want to force you into something you might regret later. We're taking it slow, remember?"
"Jaehyun. I cherished you a lot. You were once a very good friend of mine, and you still are, but I'm beginning to see you as a man now. A man I really like and I want to be with. But you have two beautiful sons with you, and they should be your center focus. Not me," she said softly as she squeezed his hands.

"But Yerim? What if… what if I wanted to focus on you too?"

"You don't have to, Jaehyun. My family's a mess and that's a given. The last thing I want is to drag you into it. The reason I'm telling you everything is not because I'm trying to force you into being with me. It's because we're starting a relationship and isn't trust the base of any relationship? I trust you a lot, that's why I'm telling you all of that."
Jaehyun raised his hand and caressed her face softly as he took in her features.

"It's crazy how much you've shaken my life in such a short span of time, Yerim. I never understood why I never thought about being with you in the past."

Yerim smiled, "Maybe because we were around each other a lot? I got used to you being just a friend. And you got used to me being just a friend. People said distance brings people together. I think those ten years apart were necessary for us."
"Yerim?"

"Hmm?"

"We're really going for this, right?"

"Well, we've come this far. Do you think of backing down?"

Jaehyun quickly shook his head.

"No, of course not. It's just... I want to ask you something. I don't want to be selfish. I mean, I have two kids, Yerim. Are you... Okay with it?"

Yerim smiled softly as she put her palm on top of his so she could keep his hand on her cheek.

"And I have a family who's waiting for the right time to kick me out of the family tree. We all have our sides, Jaehyun. If anything, I was supposed to be the one to ask you that. Are you okay with me? We're not even officially dating yet and you already found out how much of a mess my life is."
"Is three and a half weeks enough?"
"Huh?"

"I have only been courting you for three and a half weeks, Rim. And we met in person less than ten times in that period of time. Is it enough time?"

Yerim laughed, "Jaehyun. We're nearly in our thirties. I don't care about courting and stuff."

"Oh, should I get down on one knee and propose to you right here right now, then?"
Jaehyun smiled when he saw Yerim finally laughing freely.

"I thought we're taking it slow?"

"Fine. But are we done with the buddy-buddy stage then?"

"Well, what do you think? Shall we upgrade?" She asked teasingly.

"Let's see..."
He smiled softly as he watched her sharp eyes twinkling under the dim lighting of his back garden. He kept one of his hands against her cheek, caressing her smooth skin softly. The other one found itself tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear, watching the small pearl on her ear lobe reflecting the light.

He never sat this close with Yerim before. She really is beautiful. She had really unique features and he would love to spend an eternity just looking at her face.

"Hmm?"

"Be my girlfriend then, Rim? My family already approved," he chuckled.

She grinned and nodded, her eyes crinkling as she smiled.
Throwing his hesitance away, he pulled her face closer before enveloping her supple lips with his.

People said kissing someone you adore would feel like butterflies in your stomach or fireworks behind your eyes.

But it was nothing like that.

If anything, Yerim felt like a breeze of spring air. She exudes warmth that wrapped itself around his body, engulfing him with happiness. He never knew kissing someone at the age of 28 would make him feel like this.

He felt her moving her hand to the back of his neck, pulling him even closer, slowly reciprocating the kiss. She tastes ethereal. Yerim is ethereal.

After what felt like forever, they parted. Not wanting to move away from her yet, he closed his eyes and laid his forehead against hers. He felt her breath hitting his lips and he held himself back from going back in to kiss her senseless. He opened his eyes slowly and watched as she peered up to look at him before breaking into tiny giggles.

He smiled before pulling her into a hug, burrowing his face into her neck, inhaling her scent. She was intoxicating.

"Boyfriend Jaehyun… I like the sound of that," she hummed as she played with the end of his hair that was covering his nape.

"You made me want to kiss you again. God, Yerim," he groaned softly.

She chuckled and he could feel her chest rumbling in mirth.
"Then what's holding you back?" She asked as she pulled away with a playful glint in her eyes.

And of course, he went for it. Again. And again. And again. Until they were smiling into their kiss before breaking into laughter.

After so many years of keeping her dark past to herself, she finally had the courage to share some of her stories to someone else. And she’s glad that someone is Jaehyun. She knew she could always trust him. There’s still a lot to unpack when it comes to her, and it’s probably still going to take time before she feels ready to share all of them to Jaehyun, but she’s willing to try. It’s okay. One step at the time. For the first time in ten years, Yerim felt utterly happy.
A/N
can you believe it guys? 17 whole freaking chapters and they finally kissed! i'd love to drag things further but i was getting impatient myself as i wrote this story and i was like "okay now kith!!!!" lol XD
anyways, yerim finally opened up! she finally realizes the importance of relying on other people, and trust me, it's very beneficial. as someone who's emotionally constipated herself, i found it very hard to talk to people about my emotions and feelings, even to my closest friends. but now that i'm older i  realized letting my emotions pent up is not good. i'm still bad at expressing myself and showing my vulnerabilities but i'm trying! it's not easy, but baby steps!!!!! for now, expressing my emotions through my writing is my most favorite coping mechanism. people might not realize it but sometimes when i wrote how certain characters act or think, they are inspired by my emotions at that moment. that explains the ~insurmountable~ amount of drabbles and wips i have in my google drive because i write like... all the time! just so i can let out some steam or extra pent-up energy.
ANYWAYS!
last week i talked about my favorite red velvet song, today i want to talk about my favorite nct song! let's start with nct 127! my favorite track is no longer. not only because i was a er for ballad, but because that song is composed by andreas oberg, one of my most favorite kpop composers of all time. he was the one who wrote nct 127's wakey wakey, ncts's dancing in the rain,  exo's wait, day after day, and stronger, as well as well as red velvet irene-seulgi's diamond! as you can see, most of the songs he created are ballads, and his signature style is those ~~crunchy~~ chords. like... he has some killer chord progressions! most of my musician friends acknowledged that andreas oberg always made songs with unpredictable progressions and he applies a lot of classical music theories into his compositions so my even my non-kpopers friends enjoyed his songs when i made (re: forced) them to listen to his musics.
for upbeat song, my favorite is kitchen beat from their japanese album Awaken. Weird choice, i know, but that song is a cultural reset for me. like... it's so weird and i love it! i love weird synths, heavy demonic bass lines, and mindboggling beats. i know, my style is weird, but hey!!! music is all about taste!
as fotr their title track, my favorite is superhuman! superhuman is written by my favorites songwriter as well! adrian mckinnon wrote that song, and i swear he's also up there in my favorite composer list! he wrote so many good tracks like nct 127's non stop and running 2 u, wayv's turn back time, love talk (best thrist trapping song), and moonwalk, exo's tempo (one of world's best cultural reset music, fight me!!!), obsession, and artificial love (best lovemaking song), as well as superm's jopping and super car, and many others!
nct 127 has a very distinct electronic sound-ish style, and they can be a hit or miss with me. but most of the time, it was a hit for me and hence i like their tracks a lot. i like it the most when their music is hovering in that experimental style, because i like chord changes and weird synths a lot! they're a breath of fresh air for me because current kpop and western music has sounded very generic for me, so listening to their weird music brings me joy!
how about you? i'm curious!
Love, btfg <3