o36 || new year

the pursuit of happiness
 
36
 
new year
Yerim snuggled closer to Jaehyun as they watched the random movie played on the TV. The kids are napping and they're enjoying some free time before having to deal with two energized boys.

"Rim?"

She hummed absent-mindedly as she looked up at him.

"Eomma called me earlier before lunch," Jaehyun said as he gently brushed away a stray hair from her face.

"Oh? What did she say?"

"She was just wondering since we haven't decided on our wedding date."

Yerim blinked, "I just realized that we haven't planned anything yet."

"I know. So, spring. What month do you prefer?"

"Uhm... before my birthday? It would be nice to still be 28 on my wedding," she grinned.

"But I would already be 29 then. Eyy, not fair," Jaehyun playfully flicked her forehead and she only stuck out her tongue in response.

"How about... early March? Flowers will start to bloom by then, and the weather will already be starting to warm up. What do you think?" Yerim asked.

"March's fine with me. We can leave the date to my parents; they have to visit some fortune tellers first. You know my mom," Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

"About the venue… Sicheng's hotel?"

"I thought you wanted an outdoor wedding?" Jaehyun raised his brows.

"I do. But during Ten's wedding, I went around the hotel and saw that they have a beautiful garden. We just have to ask Sicheng if it's okay to use it," Yerim smiled.

Jaehyun nodded with a smile, "He'll definitely say yes to you. He's a softie to his friends, trust me. Should we involve the boys in our wedding?"

Yerim squealed, "Of course! Jeno would make a very cute ring bearer! Or flower boy? Either way, imagining both of them in cute little tuxes..." Yerim sighed happily.

"Sungchan would probably be good at walking already in March. I'm excited to see them in matching tuxes, but I'm more excited at the prospect of seeing you in a wedding dress," Jaehyun grinned.

Yerim playfully slapped his chest, "There's nothing interesting about me in a white dress!"

Jaehyun grinned before pecking her temple, "Rim, it's every guy's fantasy to see his significant other in a wedding dress walking down the aisle. You'll look very beautiful and I'd have a hard time trying not to cry once that moment comes."

Yerim laughed, "I think I'm gonna cry too. Oh, gosh. Will our wedding be a grand crying mess?"

"Sure, sure. Let's all cry happily. But before that, New Year's is coming up. And then in February, we’ll have our first Valentine’s…"
Yerim nodded, "Your birthday, right?"

Jaehyun grinned, "I want your pecan pie."

"You ate too much of it. I think marrying a baker is not going to be good for you. Look at these flaps!" Yerim shook her head as she poked his tummy.

"I promise I'll have my washboard abs back by our wedding. I'll hit the gym more often. It's hard to do so with two little early risers," he reasoned.

Yerim shot him a look, "No excuses! I'm always staying with you on the weekends. Go exercise on the weekends then!"


 


 


Yerim grinned as she finished baking the cake. It’s going to be her first New Year’s Eve with Jaehyun, and she wanted to welcome the new year with him with something special. Yerim had forcefully kicked the boys out of their own house. She had asked them to go grocery shopping and have lunch outside, and also bring the kids for their dentist appointment. Jaehyun sulked and protested but Yerim promised him that he can have her the whole night so he relented.

Yerim had cooked up a feast and stored them in airtight containers inside the fridge, labeling them as food testers for the cafe so the three hungry boys won't touch them later. She sat down and enjoyed the simple lunch she whipped up for herself before taking out her phone to give Jaehyun a video call.

She laughed when she was greeted by Jaehyun's weary face.



"Hi, love. Are you having lunch?"

"Yeah. Sungchan's a bit fussy after the dentist visit. How about you?"

"I finished my whole task. I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the boys."

"It's fine. But I take back my words about wanting Sungchan to be able to walk. I seriously think that it's much better when Sungchan wasn't able to walk yet. I think I shed a few pounds just from chasing him around."

Yerim chuckled, "You've worked hard today, Mr. Jung. I cooked your favorite braised ribs for dinner. Go home straight after lunch so I can give you a kiss, okay?"

"Now that's some real motivation. See you soon, Rim. Love you."

"Love you too."

 

 


 


Yerim peeked and saw that the two boys had indeed fallen asleep after the tiring trip with their father.

"They're asleep. Shall we go outside?" Yerim whispered.

Jaehyun smiled as he tucked the duvet to cover Jeno's body.

"Sure."

Both of them tiptoed outside before dropping to the couch.

"Come here," Yerim opened her arms wide and Jaehyun grinned as he received her embrace. He nuzzled closer into her neck, inhaling her calming scent.

"Can we sleep on the couch tonight? You promised me I could be with you the whole night," Jaehyun mumbled.

"I thought you'd never ask," Yerim giggled as she laid down, pulling Jaehyun along with her.

"I'm glad I bought a bigger and comfier couch, now we don't have to wake up with sore backs," Jaehyun hummed against her hair.

Yerim scooted up and turned back, Jaehyun smiled and rested his head on the crook of her neck. He gave it a small peck, earning an appreciative hum from Yerim.

"Sleep well, you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow."

"So, we're skipping the new year countdown?" Jaehyun cracked open an eye and frowned.

"I'll wake you up before midnight. It's our first New Year's Eve together. I'm not going to miss it. Now sleep," Yerim chuckled before kissing Jaehyun's forehead.

Yerim woke up two and a half hours later. They have approximately fifteen minutes before midnight strikes. She yawned and looked down to see Jaehyun still deep in sleep. She brushed away his bangs and patted his cheeks.

"Wake up sleepyhead, come on."

Jaehyun frowned and Yerim repeatedly pecked his cheeks to wake him up. He chuckled before opening his eyes blearily.

"We have ten minutes before the clock strikes twelve. Hurry to the balcony, and bring the blanket because it's cold!"

Yerim gave him one last peck on the tip of his nose before skidding happily outside.

Jaehyun yawned and stretched his back before grabbing their woolen blanket and heading out to the balcony.

"Quick, it's cold!" Yerim was making little jumps to warm herself up and Jaehyun chuckled as he approached her. She hummed in content when Jaehyun embraced her from the back, encasing both of them with the warm blanket.

"There will be a lot of fireworks. It'll be pretty. How's the New Year celebration in the States?" She asked curiously.

Jaehyun laid his chin on her shoulder and smiled, "Festive. A lot of alcohol was involved. We all the TV to watch the famous ball drop. How about you?"

"I usually spend them with a few friends. One of them is the one we met at the zoo. But only in the first few years though. After they had their own boyfriends, I mostly spent my New Year alone in my apartment, watching fireworks from the window, or whatever show playing on the television," she reminisced.

Jaehyun got a hint of sadness from her voice and decided to hug her tighter.

"Now you have me. And the kids. Once they get a little older, we can stay up and light our own fireworks," he smiled.

Yerim grinned, "That sounds nice."

The two of them were basking in the silence, wordlessly watching the people on the street blowing on their paper trumpets and lighting up firecrackers.

“They’re counting down soon,” Jaehyun commented and Yerim giggled happily as people started shouting.
10!

9!

8!

7!

6!
Yerim grinned before turning around, causing Jaehyun to blink confusedly at her.
5!

4!


Yerim cupped her fiancée’s cheeks, “3… 2…. 1….”

Jaehyun gasped when she pulled him down into a kiss, his mind went blank because despite all the noises, her soft cold lips against his were the only things on his mind.
“Happy New Year,” Yerim said with a light pant.

Jaehyun shook his head playfully and pulled her closer by the waist, “Kiss me again.”

Yerim laughed before winding her arms around his neck, tiptoeing slightly as she delivered pecks after pecks to his lips.
“I—” kiss. “Love—” kiss “You—” kiss.

Jaehyun laughed into the kiss and tugged her even closer to his embrace.

“Happy New Year. I Love you.”

“Mm hmm. I love you too but it’s too cold so can we move back inside and cuddle?”

“Oh, honey, I thought you’d never ask.”


 


 


Yerim blinked her eyes open and yawned. She squinted her eyes to look at the clock above the television.

08.00

It’s still quite early. The kids are also still asleep. She smiled to herself when she felt the warmth encasing her back, courtesy of her fiancée. Quietly, she pried Jaehyun’s arm from her waist and she slid off from the couch as silently as possible. She pressed a soft kiss on his forehead and he mumbled something but thankfully he was still asleep.

She found his jacket lying around on the coffee table so she picked it up and wrapped it around her tiny self. The morning is quite chilly. She needs to prepare breakfast for her family. She had pre-made some noodle dough yesterday along with a chocolate cake that the whole family loved. The cake is chilling in the fridge and all there’s left to do is cook some noodles for breakfast.

She began cooking immediately, chopping some mushrooms and chicken, as well as garlic and scallions. She grated a piece of ginger and prepared the spices and sauces for the noodles. She was still in the middle of preparation when she heard soft footsteps coming from the bedroom.

Appa? Eomma?”

Yerim wiped her hands on the front of her apron and approached the boy. It’s Jeno, the early riser.

“Had a good sleep?” She crouched down and enveloped him into a hug. Jeno buried his face on her neck and nodded.

“It’s already January 1, Jen. It’s the new year.”

The boy pulled back and smiled sleepily, “Happy New Year, eomma.”

Yerim giggled and left a peck on his cheek.

“I’m making noodles for breakfast. Want to help?”

The boy nodded excitedly, sleepiness leaving him immediately.

Together they whipped up a nice breakfast for their family of four.

Jaehyun was awoken from his sleep after smelling the delicious smell of noodles wafting from the kitchen.

He rubbed his eyes and walked slowly to the kitchen, only to find Yerim and Jeno giggling happily as they plated noodles into three bowls and a few short-stranded one for little Sungchan.

“Morning, early risers,” he croaked.

Jeno was the first to turn around and he grinned before going down from the chair he’s standing on to give his father a good morning hug.

Appa!”

“Did you have fun cooking with eomma?”

Jeno nodded enthusiastically, “It’s New Year! And eomma is making noodles!”

Jaehyun raised his brows and smiled before lifting Jeno into his arms, the boy didn’t complain and instead wrapped his tiny arms around his father’s sturdy shoulders. Jaehyun approached his fiancée, grinning as he looked at the nicely plated noodles.

“Happy new year again!” Yerim grinned.

Jaehyun laughed and was about to kiss the daylight out of her when they both heard whines coming out from his bedroom.


“Uh oh, Sungchanie’s awake!” Jeno exclaimed, wriggling out of his father’s arm. Jaehyun let him down and the boy bolted to see his little brother.

Jaehyun grinned, “Now I can have my morning kiss.”

Yerim yelped when he pulled her by the waist to plant a firm kiss on her lips. Yerim slapped his arm playfully, “Go get your son!”

Jaehyun laughed and walked lazily to the living room where Jeno was already helping Sungchan walk out the room.

“Hello little man,” Jaehyun smiled as he opened his arms wide. The little baby waddled and crashed into his father’s chest, enjoying the small kisses that Jaehyun peppered on his chubby cheeks.

“Food’s ready, let’s eat!”


 


 

Jaehyun grinned as he entered Ten’s house. His friends are all gathered there to celebrate the New year together as well as Ten and Huiqing’s housewarming party.

Jaehyun looked around with a satisfied smile. He felt thoroughly happy today, being surrounded by his closest friends and his family, on the first day of the new year.


 

“Happy?”

He turned around to see Yerim who was holding Sungchan approaching him. He nodded with a smile as he pulled her by the waist.

“Who organized this? Jungwoo?”

Yerim giggled, “I did. And him too. And Ten! And speaking of him, his wedding has passed. We haven’t given him a wedding gift!”

Jaehyun chuckled before briefly pecking her temple, “Well, you should. Sicheng, Ten, and I already had a little… pact between us. We’ve decided on his wedding gifts long before he even met his fiancée.”

“Ugh, you boys,” Yerim rolled her eyes.

“Buy something for Huiqing then, since I’ve already settled the gift for Ten. I don’t know what kind of things girls like.”

“Okay.”

“Speaking of their wedding, we really should start planning ours. March… is two months away.”

Yerim smiled shyly, “Actually… I had a talk with your mother about it. I’ve also asked Sicheng about his hotel.”

“Really?” Jaehyun glanced at her in surprise.

Yerim nodded, “Sicheng said we can definitely use the garden. He can give me the contact information of the wedding organizer that he and Ten used on their wedding. I also ask things to your mother. We agreed on going on a… girl shopping trip? I guess? She’s pretty excited.”

Jaehyun chuckled, “Knowing my mom, she’s definitely excited. She had always wanted to have a daughter. How about you? Are you excited?”

“Surprisingly, yes. I never really thought about marriage before. And then we happened. And now, I’m excited. I used to not care about wedding after my mother died, but then I met your mom and eomeonim is the sweetest person ever. She filled in the empty space that my own mother left and… and it feels so great.”

Jaehyun smiled softly, relieved that his mother managed to make Yerim comfortable and loved.

“I should go hunting for my suit then. Tell me, what color?”

Yerim laughed, “Black, of course! You looked good in black. Please do not use red or blue, ugh, no. Don’t bring Ten into your trip! His flashy suit at his wedding still haunts me, thank god Huiqing is chill about it!”

Jaehyun laughed along, “I’m going with Appa, I guess. He’ll be happy if I brought him.”

Yerim smiled, tip-toeing to kiss his dimple before passing Sungchan to him, “Okay. Now go socialize with Jeno, Sungchan, and the other boys. I want to talk with the girls!”
A/N
Hi! It's rare that I had an off-day from the hospital so I decided to squeeze in an update! I originally wrote this a couple months ago because I wanted to post it on New Year's day but life got in the way and I had to catch up with the story first before I got to post this.
Wow, we're in chapter 36 already! I have 3 chapters and an epilogue left and this story is finally going to be wrapped up. Next chapter, our lovely protagonists will start to prepare for their wedding, so... yeah!  Last chapter they were attending someone else's wedding and now their wedding is coming up really soon so... yeay!
Thank you for still giving this story some love by reading, and even taking the time to subscribe, leave a comment, or an upvote. Thank you so much, I really appreciate all of you. I hope everyone's always happy and healthy. Take care everyone!
Love, btfg <3