o18 || day 1

the pursuit of happiness
 
18
 
day 1<3
Yerim sat on the edge of his bed as Jaehyun swayed from side to side to put the whiny Sungchan to sleep. It's quite an amusing sight to see.

"I'm sorry, after Sungchan sleeps I'll drive you back home," he apologized softly.

"I've been convincing you to let me just take a cab and you won't let me," she shrugged.

He threw her a pointed look and she giggled.
"Appa?"

"Yes, buddy?"

Jaehyun turned to see Jeno appearing from the bathroom, already finished brushing his teeth and clad in his PJ.

"Is Yerim imo sleeping here?" He asked innocently as he climbed the bed and sat next to Yerim.

Jaehyun's eyes widened immediately and he turned to Yerim who looked unbothered.
"Why, little man? You want me to?"

"Can you? I really like your story, imo."

"The ones about the adventure of Mr. Tiger?"

"Uh uh," Jeno nodded enthusiastically.

Jaehyun looked puzzled and Yerim laughed.

"I read him a bedtime story once before his nap time during that one time he spent the day in my clinic," she explained.

"Oh… Anyways, Rim, you don't have to. Sungchan is almost asleep by now. Jen, it's late and imo probably wants—"

"Nah, it's okay. Do you have any spare clothes for me?"

Jaehyun nearly choked at her question.
"In the closet... wait, are you really staying the night?!"

Yerim rolled her eyes as she approached the closet, "It's nearly half past ten, Jaehyun. Your son needs to sleep, you need to sleep, and I need to sleep too. It's just a night. It’s either you let me take a cab back home or lend me your clothes. Come on, make your choice. I’m pretty sure you hated the first option, right? So, Jeno, let imo change first and then I'll continue Mr. Tiger's adventure, okay?"

Jeno beamed and nodded while his father sputtered in utter confusion and bewilderment.

Yerim opened Jaehyun's closet and was instantly welcomed by the scent of his laundry softener that she liked a lot.

"Is this part of Jaehyun's girlfriend's experience? If yes, then I'm lucky," she grinned as she picked a random t-shirt and pajama pants.

Jaehyun shook his head in amusement as he watched her disappear into the bathroom. It’s not like he can say no to her, or to Jeno.

She emerged fifteen minutes later looking fresh and cute in his clothing.

"Thank god I use minimal makeup. It's a challenge to wash my face without my makeup remover," she commented as she slipped under cover to lay beside Jeno.
She let Jeno snuggle to her side as she began her story telling session.
Jaehyun watched her silently in awe as she told her story in a hushed voice. One of her arms is hugging Jeno and the other one smoothing his hair every once in a while. Jaehyun could already see Jeno beginning to doze off.

Sungchan was already asleep and Jaehyun laid the baby next to Jeno carefully before slipping under the covers.

He supported his head with his arm as he turned to watch her while he softly patted the sleeping Sungchan beside him.

She had such a comforting voice and Jeno begun to snooze off before completely falling asleep on Yerim's embrace.

"Such an angelic baby," Yerim whispered as he brushed Jeno's hair.

Jaehyun smiled as he reached over to kiss Sungchan and Jeno's forehead.

"What about me?" She whispered playfully.

He chuckled softly before kissing her forehead.

"Good night, Rim."

"Good night, Jae."


 


 


Jaehyun batted his eyes open and shut it close immediately. He must've forgotten to close the curtains last night. He rolled to see the clock on his bedside table. He frowned when he didn't find it.

Oh yeah, he's still in his parents’ house.

He picked up his phone.

6.27 a.m

Too early for a Sunday morning.

He rolled back in and nearly had a heart attack when he saw the sight before him.
There's Sungchan sleeping on his side, facing him with his cute little pouty mouth. Jaehyun pressed his lips on the baby's head and the little one stirred a bit but continued to sleep.

And then there's Jeno. He was sleeping in Yerim's embrace...
Yerim?!


Jaehyun blinked his eyes in confusion for a minute before remembering she did stay the night because Jeno asked her to.

The sight was picture perfect. If someone saw the picture, they must've thought that Jeno is Yerim's own child. Both of them were peacefully sleeping, not even disturbed by the ray of light entering the room.

Jaehyun took his cellphone, making sure it's still silenced, before capturing the sight of his sons and his girlfriend all still asleep.
Girlfriend.
She's his girlfriend now. What a progress, he still couldn't believe it.

Reluctantly, he stepped out of bed to close the curtain. He stretched his back as he stood up, walking slowly so as to make no sound to the window.

He dragged the curtain closed, wincing when it made a sound. He paused when he heard someone stirring on the bed, that someone being Yerim.
She blinked her eyes open and stared at Jeno in confusion.

"Morning," Jaehyun whispered, wincing when his voice cracked a little.

Yerim blinked at him before a lazy smile made its way into her face.

"Ah yeah. Morning."

Yerim leaned back down and glanced at Jeno who was still asleep in her arms. She bent down to kiss his forehead.

Jeno scrunched his nose but he continued sleeping.

"He's usually a light sleeper, but he seems comfortable being with you," Jaehyun croaked as he kneeled beside Yerim.

"I know, I'm that amazing," she winked and Jaehyun rolled his eyes playfully.

"Wow, now I'm jealous of him," he said softly as he brushed Yerim's hair aside.

"Good, you should be," she commented dryly.

He grinned as he pinched her nose causing her to glare at him.

"Where's my morning kiss then?"

"I haven't brushed my teeth, you haven't either, so no," she ignored him and turned to peek at Sungchan, squealing silently as she did.

"He's so cute," she gushes.

"I know, like his dad, and that you probably should give his dad a kiss now before he loses his patience."
Yerim stuck out her tongue and yelped when Jaehyun kissed her suddenly. He chuckled as she frowned at him, mostly because Jeno was now starting to wake up.

The little boy blinked his eyes open blearily as he sat up, confused to see his favorite imo beside him.

"Yerim imo? Are you real?" He mumbled.

Jaehyun laughed, "Trust me son, it's also unreal for me," he said before sitting next to Yerim to reach over and give Jeno a kiss.

"Move a little won't you," he said as he nudged Yerim.

"I can't, there's Jeno and there's your sleeping baby beside him," Yerim gave him a look.

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and lightly picked her up before settling her down on his lap.

She nearly shrieked but held it in since little Sungchan's still sleeping.

"Oh my god, getting braver, aren't you? Had I known this, I wouldn't accept you last night," she complained and hit his arm even though her blushing face was already betraying her.

"Jeno, your appa ," she whined and Jeno grinned before scooting closer to bury his face between his father and his imo’s body.

"Hey, that tickles!" Jaehyun groaned and Yerim laughed.

"Come here boy," she beckoned and let Jeno snuggle into her side.

"It's Sunday. Shall we go on a picnic today? Does Hangang sound good?" Jaehyun suggested.

"Oh, that would be fun. But I gotta get changed first at home. And, oh, we have to cook food!"

"It's okay, we can stop by your apartment after breakfast," he shrugged as he leaned against the headboard.

Yerim leaned back against his chest as he played with Jeno's hair who's already burying his face on her tummy.

Just then, Sungchan cried loudly, causing the three awakened people to jolt.

"And… the baby is awake," Yerim grinned as he reached over Jeno's head to pick Sungchan up.

"Morning, baby, morning," Yerim cooed as she laid Sungchan against her chest and patted his diaper-clad bum.

Jaehyun used his arms to hug all three people around him together. He patted Jeno's back as they lazed around. For a moment, the only sound resonating through the room is Sungchan’s unintelligible babbles and Jaehyun’s humming to a random song.

That, until an abrupt knock was heard and Jungwoo was seen sticking his head into the room.

"Wow, what a sight!"
And before Jaehyun and Yerim had the chance to respond, he was already snapping pictures. Jaehyun groaned as Jungwoo cackled excitedly while looking at the pictures he took.

Yerim peeled herself from Jaehyun's embrace and softly pry Jeno away from her body which caused both boys to groan in protest.

"Breakfast is served, stop being lovey dovey and start eating," Jungwoo rolled his eyes.

"Well, good morning to you too, Woo," Yerim retorted as she adjusted Sungchan on her arms.

Jaehyun stood up and offered his hand to Jeno.

"Let's wash our faces and eat breakfast. Come on," Jaehyun beckoned. The boy whined and Jaehyun ended up throwing the poor boy over his shoulder and running for the bathroom, causing the boy to shriek.

Yerim laughed and turned to the baby in her arms, "Look at your childish appa, Sungchanie. But truthfully, I can't wait for you to grow up and join in the fun. And hopefully, I'm still around the three of you when you do so. Sounds great, right?"

Sungchan happily giggled and Yerim walked to join the two boys in the bathroom.

She waited for Jaehyun to finish washing his face so she could wash her face as well.

"Go to your appa," Yerim cooed as she passed Sungchan to Jaehyun before bending down to reach the sink. She washes her face quickly and gratefully accepts the towel from Jaehyun.

"C'mere Sungchanie," she reached out her arms and the happy baby excitedly tried to free himself from his father's embrace.

"Appapapapa!" He babbled.

"Oh, he said appa, Jaehyun!" Yerim squealed.

"He’s been trying to say the word appa since last week. Amazing huh?" Jaehyun said proudly as he kissed Sungchan's chubby cheeks.

"Alright, shall we go down now?"


 


 


"Should we stop by the grocery store so we can make something at your place first?" Jaehyun asked.

"Oh, sure. I think I have some apple pie in the fridge. We can heat that up, quite befitting for the autumn season. Let's buy vegetables and I can make some stir fry. Probably sausages too for Jeno. How about Sungchan?" Yerim rambled excitedly.

Jaehyun glanced at the back and smiled upon seeing his youngest son.

"Porridges as usual. He only has like five teeth up until now."

"Alright, we'll fix something up for him," Yerim nodded as the car pulled up in front of the store.

She held Jeno's hand as Jaehyun settled Sungchan down on the trolley.

"Jeno, do you want chicken or beef for rice balls?"

"What are rice balls?" He asked curiously.

"You never had rice balls? Wow, your father should get more creative in his cooking. Alright, we will have beef sausages, then chicken rice balls."

Yerim grabbed some minced chicken and other ingredients quickly. She parted ways with Jaehyun to make things faster.

"What juice flavor do you like the best, Jeno? Apple? Orange? Grapes?" She asked as she stood in front of the juice aisle.

"Orange!"

"Okay, we'll get that one."

Yerim waited near the cashier until she spotted Jaehyun approaching.

"I brought extra things since I planned on popping up at your place randomly in the following week," he grinned.

Yerim rolled her eyes as she gestured to Jaehyun to push the trolley forward.

"Cute family," the cashier commented and Yerim blushed as Jaehyun muttered a thank you happily.

"We're not family yet, you know," she said as they left the supermarket with Sungchan on her right arm and Jeno's hand in her left one while Jaehyun carried all their stuff.

"I know, but I'm gonna make you part of my family sooner or later so might as well get used to it," he said lightly and she hit his arms playfully as she walked faster.

"Jeno, let's run to the car and leave your father!" She said childishly as she ran to the car with Sungchan shrieking happily in her arms and Jeno gleefully laughing behind her.


 


 


An hour later, Yerim had finished dressing up and was already spending time in the kitchen rolling rice, chopped up vegetables, and chicken into cute little rice balls.

"Whoa, that's cute," Jaehyun commented as he picked one up curiously. Yerim winked proudly before putting the balls into a food container. She also made sandwiches and some octopus sausages.

"All packed, ready to go?" She beamed.

Jaehyun drove them to the famous Han River park and picked a shady spot. Autumn has come and the leaves are beginning to turn brown so it's looking very pretty. Jaehyun had borrowed a mat and some blankets from his parents' house so he laid them out on the ground.

"Now, go practice your crawling," Yerim giggled as she let Sungchan down on it. The baby began to crawl around happily.

Jaehyun sat on the mat and Jeno followed suit.

"Wait, appa! Squirrel!" Jeno excitedly pointed out to the several squirrels running around.

Yerim plopped down next to him and grinned as she took out the peanuts she had packed.

"Put one on your palm and reach your hand out," Yerim said. Jeno watched in fascination as a squirrel timidly approached them to snatch the nut from Yerim's palm before running back to the trees.

"Squirrels eat peanuts?"

"Uh uh. Do you know what season right now is?"

"Uhm… Autumn!"

"That's right. And what comes after autumn?"

"Winter! With snow!"

"Yup! During winter, some animals hibernate. Do you know what hibernation is?"

Jeno shook his head. Jaehyun laid on his stomach as he glanced every now and then to check on Sungchan while he listened to Yerim's interesting explanation.

"Hibernation is when animals sleep for a long, long, long time. Because in winter there are so few peanuts, it's hard for them to find food to eat. And what happens when you don't eat?"

"Hungry. Super hungry. And sad," Jaehyun piped up.

Yerim chuckled, "Your appa's right. So, instead of being hungry and sad, they chose to just go sleep through the winter. But they will be sleeping for a whole season! They need to prepare for it. That's why in autumn, they eat a lot. And they also stock up food so if they ever woke up in the middle of winter, they still have food. That's why we should give them lots of peanuts now!"

Yerim extended her hand and another squirrel came. Jeno was a little scared, but after seeing his father doing the same thing, he timidly stuck out his hand, shrieking when a squirrel came to take the nut from his hand.

"It takes it from me!" He clapped happily.

"Give them more then," Yerim placed another nut on his hand and Jeno stuck his hand out happily again.

"What shall we do after this?" Jaehyun asked.

"Leaves pile!" Yerim beamed as she pointed to a stack of fallen leaves on a corner. Jaehyun watched on other corners where kids play on the stack of fallen leaves.
Yerim stood up and picked Sungchan up before plopping herself on the stack. Sungchan squealed happily and started to throw the leaves around.

Jeno grinned before he ran to join them, plopping into the leaves happily.

"Appa! Join us!"

Jaehyun took out his cell phone and stood in front of them.

"Wait! Let me take a picture of you guys first. Alright, gather round. Cheese!"

"Come on! Join us, Jaehyun!" Yerim said.

Jaehyun dropped his next to Jeno, causing some leaves to sprang everywhere. He extended his arm to take a selfie of them for keepsakes.

They happily took several pictures together. Jaehyun looked at a particular one where Jeno dropped his whole weight on him, and Yerim gave Sungchan a big kiss on his cheek while crushing Jeno and him underneath her. He smiled as he set the picture as his wallpaper.

"There's a big space there. Take Jeno for some soccer. You used to be good at it," Yerim jutted her lips towards an open space.

"Huh?"

"You can rent a soccer ball in that store. Jeno would love it If you taught him some tricks. Make some good memories with him," she smiled encouragingly.

Jeno looked at them curiously and Yerim patted his head.

"Your appa used to be very good at soccer. Go play with him and ask him to show you some tricks!"

Jaehyun stood up and pulled Jeno up.

"Let's go?"


 




They came back thirty minutes later, already taken off their coats, sweating but laughing. Jeno shrieked as his father scooped him out and threw him over his shoulder as they ran towards Yerim who was feeding Sungchan his porridge.

"I have a hand sanitizer in my bag. Wash your hands and then grab some lunch," she said.

"Have you eaten?"

"Nah. I'll handle this hungry baby first. You go ahead," Yerim said as she looked up to see the father and son chugging down on their bottles of water.

Jaehyun sat down and opened her bag, finding the hand sanitizer immediately. He beckoned Jeno to come closer and open his palm to squirt some of the gel into his hands. After making sure they are all clean, Jaehyun opened the tote bag they prepared to fetch the food.

"Jeno, try the rice balls! You said you are curious about the taste, right?" Yerim said as she wiped Sungchan's messy face. After making sure the baby is clean, she let him crawl around as she joined Jaehyun and Jeno to eat their packed lunch.

"Wow, they're cute," Jeno commented before biting into one. He chewed on it before breaking into a smile.

"It has eggs! And chicken! And carrots! My favorites!"

Yerim smiled in relief when she saw how much Jeno liked her food.

"Where do you learn how to make these things? Wow, these rice balls are bombs," Jaehyun commented as he popped one into his mouth.

Yerim grinned. She didn't spend eight years in Japan for nothing. "I took bento making class for a year just for fun when I was in Japan."

"For fun?!"

Jaehyun shook his head. She is indeed unique.

"And Jen, check this out. I made the sausages look like octopus!"

Yerim showed him the fried sausages and Jeno beamed immediately.

"It's cute!"

Yerim watched him eat and felt happiness brewing inside of her. She then yelped when Jaehyun forced a rice ball into .

"Eat. You too."

She chewed it slowly. It does taste pretty good.

"Jeno, which one's better, appa's cooking or imo's cooking?" Jaehyun asked curiously.

Jeno contemplated for a while. His appa is a really good cook but Yerim imo is great too and she made the food look interesting.

"I like appa's soy sauce chicken and seafood fried rice. But imo's food is cuter! And imo made great cakes!"

Yerim raised her arms in victory while Jaehyun pouted.

"But appa's food is good too! I really like it a lot!" Jeno quickly added when he saw his father looking dejected.

Jaehyun chuckled and kissed his son's cheek.

"You should be grateful your appa's a good cook," Yerim commented as she scooped up Sungchan before he crawled to the grass.

"Can halbae cook?" Jeno asks his father.

"He can. He makes really good fried rice. But that's probably the only food he's good at making," Jaehyun chuckled.

"How about imo's appa? Did he cook?"

Yerim smiled bitterly. Her father cooking? Only in her wildest dreams. Jaehyun looked at her in concern and she cleared before putting on a bright smile.

"No, he doesn't cook."

"Where do you learn how to cook? Your eomma?"

Jaehyun felt like rolling himself on the mat because of Jeno's insensitive questions. But then again, he's a child so he probably doesn't understand yet.

"Imo doesn't have an eomma anymore. My eomma is already in heaven up there," Yerim answered patiently, pointing at the sky.

"Jeno also doesn't have an eomma," the boy blurted innocently.

"Uh uh. But Jeno has appa, right? And Jeno now has Sungchanie, halbae, halmae, and Woo samchon."

"Jeno has imo too!" The kid grinned.

Yerim smiled gently, "Imo doesn't have an eomma, but imo has your appa. And you. And Sungchan. Imo is very happy!"

"I am happy too with imo!" Jeno beamed before giving Yerim a hug.

"And appa is happy to have all of you!"

Jaehyun laughed as he picked up the clueless Sungchan and squeezed the four people around him into a hug. They all tumbled down the mat but they were happy and laughing at their own sillyness.

"Jaehyun?"

Jaehyun turned his head to look at Yerim.

"Thank you," she mouthed before breaking into a genuine smile.
A/N
sunday, update day!
it's day 1 for our couple! who's excited for their new relationship? because boiii i am excited. i am the writer and i am excited about writing about them lol. i have planned a lot to write, and i'm excited myself to see how you all witnessing the way their relationship grows chapter after chapter, and also how the relationship with the kids too!
by the way, yerim's drama is airing soon! it's weird that i'm writing about her with jaehyun and yet i'm about to watch a her acting in a romance drama with hongseok lmao, but the trailer looks so good so i'm definitely going to watch it once it aired on youtube!
and, back to talking about my favorite nct music! last week i talked about nct127 and this time i'm going to talk about nct dream! i really liked nct dream actually, like i've followed nct since smrookies era, and i did watch them a lot before they debuted, but i didn't really immerse myself in them until nct dream! i just like the color of their music so much, and i found that they are very experimental, which you guys have all know by now, i loooove experimentation! their music style always change with each comeback, but it still screams NCT DREAM like, do you get what i mean? lol
it's hard picking a favorite track because i like all their music so far. unlike with 127 which is very electronic and rap heavy, dream's music is more colorful and melodic, maybe because they contain the younger members, so their music worked well for me. their newest album? oh honeyyyyy, hello future is a bop!!! the whole album is just fire, i've been replaying them non stop. my favorite track from the album is my youth and be there for you. i missed my friends a lot after listening to those two songs, yknow with the whole quarantine stuff going on. i hope this pandemic ends really soon so i can have sleepovers and adventures with my friends again! i really miss doing outdoorsy stuffs, camping, going to the waterfalls, hiking, and just simply driving around town in motorcycles with my friends! i also really miss our jamming night where we'll gather in my friend's room (because she owned a keyboard) and we'll just sing all night long.
and my favorite title track from them would be MFAL and We Young. I really like those two songs so much and I don't even know why XD those songs are just so catchy, and music wise very interesting as well so they tick all the boxes for me. 
and random, but my dream bias is Chenle! he's actually the reason i started stanning nct! i know he's not really there much during the smrookies era, but when i first saw him i was just like, i want to adopt him. as my brother, as a son, i don't care, he's too adorable for his own good!
how about you? tell me about your favorite member and song from dream!
Love, btfg <3