o11 || meeting the kids

the pursuit of happiness
 
11
 
meeting the kids
Jaehyun entered his mother's house and smiled when his son ran to his embrace.

"Hi, buddy. Having fun?"

The kid nodded before tugging Jaehyun's hand to go inside. His parents and his brother are all seated around the dining table.
"Hi, son. How was the date with her? I didn't receive any complaints today," his mother and he rolled his eyes.

"Oooh, finally a successful one? Who's the lucky girl?" Jungwoo grinned.

"Ma, it's just Yerim. We were best friends bef—"

"Yerim noona?! You met Yerim noona? I mean, Ma! You set hyung up with Yerim noona?!" Jungwoo balked.

"Well, your brother insisted on wanting to be with someone his age. I only know Yerim," her mother shrugged.

Jungwoo beamed and clapped his hands happily, "How is she, hyung? I haven’t seen her in years. But anyways, hyung, don't screw this up, okay? I always wanted Yerim noona to be my sister-in-law!"

"What? Woo, you're way too imaginative. I don't know how the outcome will be," Jaehyun sighed.

"Well, I certainly don't mind having her as my daughter-in-law. Jungwoo could start planning your wedding if he'd like to," his father shrugged.

"What? Appa! I can't believe this family!"


 




Yerim opened the door to the clinic and greeted the tired looking receptionist, Minhyuk.

"You look tired. You can go home and rest, Min. It's your day off, right?"

The poor guy nodded, "Ah, yes doc. But Hyunsik hasn't arrived yet."

"It's okay. I'm already here and Doctor Park would probably come any minute so you're free to go," Yerim said as she dismissed him.
She went into her office and sat down. After yesterday's meeting with Jaehyun, she knew there was going to be no chance to have a relationship with him. They used to be friends, really good friends, and he had seen her in varying states—including the bad ones. And he said it himself, he wanted to keep in touch, as friends, for old time's sake.
She sighed as she began to prepare her stethoscope.

Jaehyun didn't change much. He's still the handsome, warm voiced, all smiles, Jaehyun. He was still soft spoken and polite, and if anything, he looked more mature both in personality and in style.

She's just going to be honest and admit that she used to have a crush on him. Well, who doesn't? He's quite smart and he's got a great attitude as well. Almost every girl at school used to crush on him.

But honestly, she thinks she does not match him at all. She knew Jaehyun had a loving family and even two kids now. He's successful in his carreer, surrounded by great friends, and all she owned is a hating father and a whole emotional baggage. There's no way Jaehyun would want to be with her.

If she was to tell the truth, she'd love to be with him. She hasn't been in any relationship since she was born and that was partly due to a trauma that made her fear having a relationship with men. Her father was the main source of that. But Jaehyun equals soft smile and honey voice and abundant warmth, so she'd like to try. He'll be different. But there's just no way he'd want her.

Yerim sighed as she went out to see the empty waiting room in front of her.

Maybe her father was right. She was indeed a cursed child that brings nothing but bad luck and loneliness. Maybe she is indeed destined to be lonely. And she doesn't want to drag Jaehyun into a mess called her.

But she was genuinely surprised when Jaehyun called a week later, asking if the plan to give him and his kids a tour is still up.

Maybe God is giving her a second chance in life. Maybe.



 
"Welcome to Paws!"

Yerim looked up from the counter, ready to greet the customer when she saw him.

Her eyes crinkled when she saw the baby in his arms and the little kid hiding behind his legs, looking petrified by the herd of dogs coming at them.

"Snowy! Tabby! Cookie! Russo!" She called out and the four dogs scrambled away obediently.
She walked towards them and greeted Jaehyun warmly.

"Hi! And oh, hello, little guy!" She poked the baby's cheek. The little boy giggled before wrapping his fingers around her index finger, trying to pull it into his mouth.

"Oh, no, no, buddy. My hand is dirty!" She pulled her finger and patted the boy's head before smiling back to Jaehyun.

"Come sit down! I reserved a seat on the couch here," she led the way.

Jaehyun smiled as he sat down, Jeno sticking closely, scared of the four dogs that followed the pretty aunt in front of him.

"Jeno? Aren't you gonna say hi?" Jaehyun asked.

"Oh, that makes me rude then. As the adult, I'm supposed to introduce myself first! Hi, I'm Yerim. Just call me… I don't know, imo? Yeah, Yerim imo is fine," Yerim smiled warmly.
The gears inside Jeno's head turned and he spoke up, "Oh! The one in appa’s picture with his friends!"

"Picture?"

Jaehyun chuckled and brushed Jeno's hair softly.

"Our graduation picture. I have that in my room."

Yerim nodded, “Ah…”

"Jeno?" Jaehyun looked at his son again and he shyly bowed to Yerim.

"Hi, I am Jeno. Uh.. I'm five!"

"Hi, Jeno! And is this your brother?" Yerim asked as a worker came with a high chair and Jaehyun set the boy down who was giggling happily.

"Yes, that is Sungchanie," Jeno pointed out.

"Hmm... shall we order first then?" Yerim asked.

"Sure. I'd like the pie from last week, it was amazing," Jaehyun said and Yerim smiled.

"What about you, Jeno? What do you like? Do you like fruits?" Yerim asked as she showed him the colorful menu book.

"Yes," he answered shyly.

"Which one do you like? Strawberry? Mango? Blueberry? Lychee? Or do you like all fruits?"

Jeno looked at the bright pictures in amazement. He was clearly intrigued by the all the pretty and colorful cakes.

"I think I like all."

"Alright, we can get a fruit cream cake for you. What do you want for the drink, Jaehyun? Coffee?"

"Oh sure."

"For the baby? Can he get a smoothie bowl or something?"

"Oh, you have such thing?" Jaehyun asked in surprise and Yerim nodded proudly.

"Ah, that's great. He likes avocado a lot."

"Avocado, banana, dragon fruit, and pineapple. Is that fine?"

"Oh, that's probably alright," Jaehyun nodded.

Yerim nodded and stood up before going to the counter.

Jeno watched as the four dogs followed her wherever she goes.

"Imo? Are they your dogs?" He asked timidly as he looked at the corgi that is looking back at him intently.

Yerim smiled, "Yes. They live here. Do you want to get to know them? They are very nice and they don't bite," Yerim explained.

"I'm scared," Jeno said.

"Oh, but they are fluffy and nice. See?" Yerim beckoned the white samoyed to come and ruffled his fur. The dog closed his eyes and leaned closer to Yerim's touch which peaked Jeno's interest.

"His name is Snowy. He is four years old and he's a samoyed," Yerim explained.

"Oh, I'm older than him!" Jeno grinned.

"Well, you are his hyung then! Wanna try petting him?" Yerim stood up and knelt beside the dogs, showing Jeno that the dogs are no harm. After deeming it safe, the boy climbed over his father legs and went down to squat next to Yerim.

"Like this," Yerim petted Snowy's head and Jeno timidly pat the dog's back. Snowy barked once and rolled into his back, showing his stomach.

"He likes it! This means he wants you to pat his tummy!" Yerim said and Jeno smiled happily, gaining confidence to actually start his belly.

"This one is Cookie. He's also four years old. He's really big right? He's a saint bernard," Yerim moved to the next dog.

Jaehyun who was also intrigued decided to pick Sungchan up and sat on the floor next to Yerim.

"Cookie is really good with kids. See? he's not mad that Sungchan is doing that to him," Yerim laughed at Sungchan who was fearlessly jabbing at the poor dog in curiosity. Jeno patted the dog's head happily.

"This one is little," Jeno said.

"This is Russo. He's five years old, just like you. He's a Welsh corgi."

"Oh, friend!" Jeno giggled when the dog his hand.

"And this is a chow chow. His name is Tabby. He is three years old and very special. Look, his tongue is black!"

Jeno looked at the fluffy dog's tongue and beamed, "It is!"
"The food is about to come; shall we wash our hands?" Yerim asked as she offered Jeno a hand after they had fun playing with the dogs.

To Jaehyun's surprise, the boy took her hand willingly and followed her to the sink as he asked tons of questions about dogs.

They got back and enjoy the food, and Jaehyun is pleasantly surprised when Jeno happily chatted with Yerim as he enjoyed his cake, but one of his hands in kept under the table where the big samoyed had his head laid on Jeno's lap, asking for pats.

Maybe he made the right decision to reconnect with Yerim.



 
"As I promised, I'll give you a tour," Yerim smiled after they finished the food.

"Tour?"

"Yes, Jeno. This place is very big. Want to see where imo works?"

The boy nodded, the pretty imo told him she was a doctor for animals and he found it really cool. Yerim took them through the employee room that Jaehyun saw her emerged from last week.

Yerim opened a door that led them to the clinic. Jeno was thoroughly amazed at people who were sitting in the waiting room with their pets.

"This is the clinic, Jeno. Those people are bringing their sick pets here."

"What animals do you take care of, imo?" He asked as a customer greeted Yerim.

"Dogs, cats, hamsters… Hmm, what else? Snakes… Turtles… birds… otters... a lot!" Yerim grinned as she bent down to greet a dachsund that kept barking for her attention.
"Is Bono going to have his vaccinations today with Dr. Park?" She asked the lady in the waiting room.

"Yes, Dr. Kim."

"Alright! See you later, Bono!" Yerim patted the dog's head before taking Jeno's hand again.
"Dogs get vaccine too like Jeno?" He asked innocently.

"Of course, they do! They have to so they will not get sick."

"Do they cry when they got the shots?" He asked again.

"They yelped a little but I gave them kisses and treats so they're not scared. Have you ever gotten a shot, Jeno?"

The boy nodded shyly, "Appa kissed me too and gave me candies but I still cry."

"Hmm… you should ask your appa then, if imo can bring you to the clinic again one day. Maybe you could see the dogs getting their shots and you won't be scared anymore!" Yerim looked at Jaehyun and saw the guy actually smiling.

"Where are we going next, imo?"

"We're now going to the shelter," Yerim said as she opened a gate. They got in and Jeno shifted closer to the woman when he saw dogs in cages around him barking loudly.

"W-what is this place?" He asked, a bit scared.

"This is a shelter, Jeno. Like an…. Orphanage for animals."

Jeno blinked.

"Orphanage?"

"Yes. You know what an orphanage is?"
Jeno nodded quickly. He doesn't really have a beautiful memory with orphanage.

"Do they give the animals foods?" He asked again.

"Of course! Three times a day!"

"You don't hit them?"

"Eh? Of course not! You should not hit any animal, Jeno. Here, we love the animals a lot. We gave them food and a place to sleep. We bathed them every week. A shelter is like an orphanage. People can come adopt the animals. It's a place where the poor dogs and cats can have families again," she gently explained as she pointed to a guy and a girl picking up a puppy.

"Just like Jeno?" The boy looked up to his dad with a smile.

"Jeno lived in bad orphanage. Jeno cannot eat and they hit Jeno. But appa said he adopted me so appa is my family now," he said innocently with a bright smile and Yerim felt herself tearing up a bit. He's such a poor boy.
Yerim gave the boy a small hug before looking at Jaehyun who was staring at his son lovingly.

"You're such a great guy, Jaehyun," she commented softly.
As if breaking through the somber mood, Sungchan excitedly pointed to a cage with a loud shriek and Yerim grinned.

"Can I try holding him?"

"Sure. He's okay being held by people," Jaehyun said as he handed his baby to her.

She squealed at Sungchan's cuteness and brought him to a cage which housed a grey cat.

Jaehyun smiled fondly at the sight before him. Sungchan perched on her hips and Jeno holding her right hand tightly. It's definitely a beautiful sight he wanted to get used to.
A/N
hello peeps! and... Yerim met the kids! Seems like the kids like our resident dog whisperer ;););) 
Well, let's just wait until Yerim meets the others so the gang will finally be complete again!
p.s I really love Joy's new comeback! I am a big fan of Korea's 90s-earlly 00s music, so I am definitely a big fan of the album because I'm familiar of all the songs. My favorite is If Only, because it is a remake of Joheultende/It would be good by Sung Sikyung (which is also a favorite singer of mine, and he just made a comeback too so please check him out). I also love Be There For You which was originally by Toy! Everyone pls support Joy on her comeback!
p.s.s I also love NCT127's newest release, Save Me! I like Dynamic Duo and I enjoy the songs they make, and also the composer Philtre, and the three of them made really good songs together. When I knew that NCT127 will be singing a song composed by them, I know it would be good af, and I was right!!! And yes, Jaehyun here is just asdfghjkl; *dies*
I have long shifts working in the hospital's HCU this week, so being able to listen to good music once I'm home really made me happy!
Anywaysss, thank you for reading/commenting/subscribing/upvoting!  They made my day much better, and I love each and every one of you!
Also, have a good day, and hopefully you guys have a good week the coming Monday!
Love, btfg <3