o32 || father (double update! check prev chap!)

the pursuit of happiness
 
32
 
father
In her 28 years of living, Yerim never felt this nervous before. She paced around the kitchen, tasting all the foods, making sure they were all seasoned accordingly. The pecan pie is in the oven and the strawberry mille crepes are chilling in the fridge.

Today is the day where the Jungs finally came to her house. After months of staying in her apartment (and Jaehyun’s), she finally went back. She felt antsy at the prospect of Jaehyun’s perfect family meeting her messy one. She didn’t want to make any more bad impression on them, especially since they’ve been nothing but nice and accepting towards her. She had a fight with her father, refusing his idea of inviting her aunts. Jaehyun's family already had an idea how much of a mess her family is, but they didn't have to witness it in real time. There's no way Yerim is letting them see her engaged in a fight with her aunts.
"Miss Kim, we can take care of the kitchen. You should go upstairs and rest," a maid told her carefully.

She was about to refuse, but she glanced around, and everything seemed to be under control. There’s really no need for her to continue pacing around here. Reluctantly, Yerim nodded before walking to her room. She spent some time doing her makeup lightly, and curling the ends of her now-brown hair. Jaehyun texted her that they are close. He's also planning to stay the night with the kids in an attempt to introduce them to her father. Yerim doesn't think it's a good idea but Jaehyun assured her not to worry.

She waited near the window and felt her heart leap when she saw two familiar cars rolling into her family's property. She quickly went downstairs to notify her father.

She knocked on the door twice before her father told her to come in.
"Um… abeoji, they're here. You could wait in the dining room," she said. Her father gave her a curt nod and she nodded back before walking outside to greet Jaehyun's family.
As usual, Jeno was the first one to greet her, running straight to her arms.

"Eomma!"

"Hi, baby. Miss me?" She ruffled his hair affectionately.

Jeno nodded against her tummy and she laughed at him.

She released him and smiled towards Jaehyun's family.

"Imo, samchon, Jungwoo. Welcome to my house," she bowed at them.
"We bought some fruit; we knew bringing cake would be useless cause you make amazing ones!" Mrs. Jung said.

"Thank you so much, imo. Come in!"

She ushered them in, letting the maid show them the way to the dining room. She turned to see Jaehyun who was holding Sungchan before rushing to hug him.

“Hi,” Jaehyun chuckled, putting an arm around her.

"I'm scared," she whispered against his shoulder.

"Hey, don't be. We'll be fine, okay?"

She nodded before letting him go.
When she arrived at the dining room, Jaehyun's parents were already seated and talking with her father, while Jeno stood awkwardly near his halmae.

Jeno perked up when he saw Yerim coming and quickly rushed to her side.

Jaehyun noticed Yerim's father looking at him so he approached the guy and bowed at him.

"Sir."

Yerim's father bowed his head back at him before motioning him to sit down.

Jaehyun sat next to her father and Yerim took the seat beside him.
Dinner started and it was hella awkward. Yerim felt like ripping her hair off. She tried so hard to make conversations but her father was literally the biggest killjoy ever. Thankfully, the drab dinner already ended and after giving the Jungs a tour of her house, they were ready to go home, except Jaehyun and the kids who will be staying over.

She was a bit thankful though that her father didn't talk much or caused any unnecessary arguments. She had feared for a dining-table fight to ensue, but thankfully, nothing happened. At least both side’s parents had agreed that Yerim and Jaehyun can plan their own marriage with a side note that they are allowed to invite their business partners. Yerim is very relieved that she can plan her own wedding. There’s no way Yerim is letting her aunts have control of her special day!

Yerim bid goodbye to the Jungs before turning back inside with Jaehyun and the kids. She was about to lead them to her room when her father appeared from his study.
"Jung Jaehyun? Can I have a word with you for a minute?"

Jaehyun turned and nodded immediately. He turned back to face Yerim and smiled at her reassuringly before giving Sungchan to her.

Yerim frowned immediately, “Jaehyun…”

"Relax, Rim. It'll be okay. I'll be okay. Jeno? Go with eomma, okay? She will show you her room."

Jaehyun smiled at them before going inside Mr. Kim’s study. He knocked on the door to notify the man before bowing.
"Come take a seat."

Jaehyun nodded and sat across from the man.

"The two boys are your adopted sons, right? Yerim mentioned it to me the other day."

"Ah, yes. They are my adopted sons."

Jaehyun watched as the man nodded slowly, seemingly trying to pick his words carefully.

"There's some reasons why I agreed with my sisters’ plan on marrying Yerim to Lee Hyuk. I heard you had sons long before Yerim told me. I have my sources. And to be honest, I was afraid… it will burden Yerim's life."
Jaehyun gulped nervously.
"I think Yerim must've told you that the two of us didn’t have the prettiest relationship. I was nowhere near a father to her. And to be honest, I felt a little guilty. She wasn't exactly at fault, but I don't have the courage to repair my relationship with her. But the least I can do…. Is to make sure she will lead a happy life, away from this toxic family of mine. I know my sisters never liked her, that's why I've been pestering her to get married. That way, she can be a part of a new family, away from her messed up one. At first, I thought you were the best choice. You were once her friend; you had a stable job and a respectable family. And then I found out you have kids, and that you haven't dated her yet.”

Mr. Kim paused to take a sip of the tea in front of him before continuing, “I was hesitant. Yerim deserves the best for her future. That's why I picked Lee Hyuk out of the options that my sisters had. He was ready to get married and he doesn't have any kids. He’s from a notable family, and not a divorcee as well. But then you came to my office that day… and I realized, you were indeed the best choice. Seeing Yerim today, I never saw her that happy. And seeing her with your kids and your family, she looked so happy as well. And seeing her happy was all I ever wanted."
Jaehyun nodded, slowly processing his words.
"Jung Jaehyun. Can I ask you a favor?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Please give Yerim as much love as you can. Make her happy, keep her safe. Let her into your family. Make her feel loved and cherished. I promise, our family will back off from her."
Jaehyun nodded, "I promise, sir. I have always loved Yerim. My feelings for her never change. If anything, I love her even more. You don’t have to worry."

Yerim's father smiled and nodded—relieved.


 


 


Yerim jolted when Jaehyun came into her room. The children are already asleep.

"You took a while," Yerim asked as she stood up to approach him.

He smiled before hooking his arms behind her waist.

"We had some talk."

"Did he say anything bad?"

Jaehyun shook his head.

"No. He was just being a father, worried that his only daughter is going to be married to some random guy. You know what fathers are like, they tend to get protective of their children especially towards daughters."

"That doesn't sound like my father," Yerim scrunched her nose.

"Rim, your father actually cared about you more than you know," Jaehyun smiled as he pulled her closer.

"Really?"

Jaehyun pecked the tip of her nose before nodding.

"And here I thought I was the worry wart between us two. For now, let's just think about being happy, okay? Tomorrow, let's go eat mandu and haemul jjigae. Let's cook together in my place and teach Sungchan how to walk again. Then we can sing our heads off with Jeno. How does that sound?"

Yerim grinned before pulling him for a kiss.

"Can't wait!"


 


 


Jaehyun entered the cafe and smiled when he saw such a heartwarming sight welcoming him. Sungchan is on the floor, in an area encased with plastic fences, surrounded by dogs. He was a happy little calm baby, asleep in a bundle of blankets and protective companions.

Meanwhile Jeno is on the counter, probably standing on a chair, doing the job as an assistant cashier.

"Look, it's appa!"

Jaehyun waved his hand and approached the counter to give the boy a hug, before turning to his side to give his fiancée a kiss.

"Go entertain your appa, I'll handle the cashier for a few minutes first," Yerim patted the boy's head.

Jaehyun waited until Jeno went out of the counter and took his hands to fetch his younger brother.

"Your brother is sleeping with the dogs," Jaehyun said softly.

Jeno nodded happily, "Yes! Today we took a nap here with the dogs. It's warm and fluffy and better than eomma's office!"

It seems like the voices of Jaehyun and Jeno talking were a bit too loud that it woke Sungchan up. Thankfully, the baby is not too fussy and just looked a bit dazed after his nap.

"Hey, baby. Finally awake?" Jaehyun opened the fence and picked his son up, the baby curled inside his embrace immediately and he must admit his heart melted a little at the sight.

Sungchan cooed and smiled which caused a few of the dogs to let out a few happy barks.

"Did you have fun with eomma and Sungchanie today?" Jaehyun asked Jeno as he led him to a vacant table.

"Yes! We went to the shelter and eomma taught me how to bath the dogs! And then I helped in the clinic again, there's a very cute parrot today. And then Ten samchon and Huiqing imo came today!"

"Oh, they did?"
"Yeah. They're delivering their wedding invitations."
Jaehyun looked up to see Yerim coming with a cup of hot cappuccino.

"Thanks," Jaehyun smiled at her before taking a sip.

"The wedding's in two weeks, right?" Jaehyun asked again.

"Yeah. Winter wedding apparently," Yerim grinned as she passed him the white colored invitation. She ran her hand over the golden regal letters that spelled out Ten's and Huiqing's names.

"The invitation's pretty. When we get married later, do you want something like this?" Jaehyun asked and she smiled.

"Not exactly like this, but probably similar."

"Is it an indoor wedding or an outdoor one?"

"Indoor. In Sicheng's hotel. Is Huiqing from the business world as well?" Yerim asked curiously.

"Yeah, her family owned a fashion brand. Anyways, speaking of wedding venues, would you like it to be indoor or outdoor?"

"Wow, already going into wedding planning, aren't we? But well, since we're having a spring wedding, an outdoor one would be nice. Don't you think so?"

Jaehyun nodded, "You'll look ethereal surrounded by flowers and trees."

Yerim blushed, "And it would be nice to have Jeno and Sungchan becoming the ring bearer. Sungchan would already be able to walk by then, right?"

Jaehyun nodded, "We'll teach him how to walk everyday then. Oh, I can't wait to marry you."

Yerim giggled. She loves how she could just casually talk about planning her wedding with Jaehyun. And she's grateful that he's just as excited—if not more—about the wedding.

"Next year, Jeno will be starting elementary school. This year, he started kindergarten with only a father. But next year, he'll have a complete set of parents to accompany him for the first day of school," Jaehyun mused as he glanced at the said boy who ditched his parents to play with the dogs instead since he didn't understand their conversation.

Yerim smiled, "He'll have a great family picture of the four of us for show and tell. I remembered him saying that he wanted to have a full family picture that he can show-off to his friends."

"Yeah. Everything will be better for the kids after we get married."

Yerim grinned before glancing at the clock.

"It's almost dinner time. Shouldn't you go home to prepare the kids' food?"

"Ugh, this is why I wanted us to get married soon. Can't you stay the night, please?"

Yerim rolled her eyes, "It's not the weekend, Jaehyun. And plus, you'll see me again tomorrow when you pick up the kids."

"Appa, I'm hungry."

Jaehyun looked down to see Jeno tugging on his pants.

"See? Nono's hungry. Go home now, shoo!"

Jaehyun sighed as he stood up while adjusting Sungchan's position on his arms.

"Fine. What time will you go home?"

"I'll probably stay a bit later tonight. There's a dog coming for a C-section at 8."

"Give me a call once you get home, okay? And don't go to work too early tomorrow. Have some rest."

"Yes, father. Geez, you're worrying too much. Just get going," Yerim pushed his back.

"Alright, alright. I'll go home now. See you tomorrow," he smiled before kissing her cheek.

"Jen, say goodbye first."

Jeno grinned before raising his arms so Yerim could bend down to give him a hug.

"See you tomorrow, bunny. Go home and be a nice kid to your appa, okay?"

Jeno nodded and beamed when Yerim kissed his forehead.


 



 

"The guys invited us for dinner," Jaehyun said on a random morning when Yerim stayed over.

"Huh? Dinner? Cool with me. The kids?"

"Ten wanted us to meet in this bar. Sicheng and Yiyang said they definitely won't bring Lining and Sicheng's mother will be taking care of her. Shall we let the kids stay over at my parents?"

"I feel bad burdening your parents," Yerim sighed as she plated the fried eggs.

"The kids haven't visited my parents in two weeks. And eomma had been asking for them anyways," Jaehyun shrugged as he turned off the stove to plate the fried rice.

"Jungwoo will be coming to the dinner as well, right?"

"Of course."

"That's why I feel bad. Nobody's going to help your parents then," Yerim pouted as she moved to start making Sungchan's soft rice.

"They'll be okay. We'll prepare their necessities beforehand. Don't stress about it too much, if anything, my parents will be happy to babysit the boys," Jaehyun gave her waist a gentle squeeze.

"Alright."

“Why are you more concerned about them, though? I’m literally their father who adopted them!”

“Jaehyun!!”

“I’m just joking!”

A/N
Hi, im back from the dead lol
the previous several months, i was BURIED like 10 ft down under, by work load. the departments i were interning at were super busy, and esp. when i interned at the psychiatry department, i was just physically and emotionally drained. somehow i completed my internship there (miracle!) and i'm at a different department rn. NOT EXACTLY MUCH BETTER but at least i'm not as stressed out. but anw, all of this stress impacted me and i lost motivation to continue this story.
BUT IM NOT DISCONTINUING THIS BADDIE!!! this fic is my baby, i worked really hard at conceptualizing and writing the prev 30 chapters, and i don't want my hard work to go to waste. i spent time writing other stuffs and exploring different writing styles and pairings, and now i'm motivated to write again!
so here's a double update, take it as an apology from me fore going M.I.A for too long lol. im sorry! does anyone even still read this? :")
anyways, for those who still wanted to read this, thank you very much!!!! i really appreciate it!
and, nct is coming back! please please please give them a lot of love and support. i hope everyone has a nice day and since the years is coming to an end, i hope next year will be better for all of us!
Love, btfg <3