o12 || reunion

the pursuit of happiness
 
12
 
reunion
Jaehyun laid his sleepy sons on the bed before he went to sit on the living room. He the TV and flipped through the channel, trying to find something to watch to kill time. He's not sleepy enough to nap with his kids and it's too early to start cooking dinner.
He settled on watching the news when his phone rang.
"Hello?"

"Yo, hyung!"

"Ah, Jungwoo. What's up?"

"Soooo, I heard from Ma you met Yerim noona again today?"

Jaehyun sighed, "Yeah. I went to her cafe earlier with the kids. Why?"

"You brought the kids?!"

"Uhm, yeah? She owned a dog cafe. The kids enjoyed playing with dogs there," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Wow, that's more development than I initially thought. What does Jeno think of her?"

"Jeno? He's pretty cool with her. She's a dog goddess in his eyes probably," Jaehyun smiled as he thinks about how happy Jeno today when he gets to follow Yerim around.

"Oooh potential baby mommy there."

"Jungwoo..."

"Whaat? I knew it ever since high school you'll probably end up with her! Both of you tolerated each other too well."

"That's high school, Woo."

"I know... but out of all girls eomma set you up with, she's the only one who got a second date. And also, the only one who doesn't seem creeped out by the fact you're a single dad."

"You're just pushing it."

"I'm not, okay. I speak only the truth!! So, when are you meeting her again?"

"Maybe next week. We wanted to go to the old noodle place we frequent during high school."

"Man… she even got a third date. You're advancing with her, hyung. I like it!"

"Jung Jungwoo!"

"Good luck with my future sister-in law! Tell her everyone missed her and we should probably schedule a meal with the whole gang. Alright, see you, hyung!"

Jaehyun turned off his phone and shook his head in disbelief. Why is his brother so persistent?



 
Yerim looked at the mirror to check on her appearance. She can't believe she's meeting Jaehyun again. The guy invited her to visit Auntie Han's noodle shop. They used to visit her shop back then during high school and to be honest, she hasn't been there for the last ten years so she's excited.
Jaehyun said he would pick her up at home. She exited her room and saw her father reading a book on the couch.

"Abeoji… I'm going out."

She said softly. Her father simply nodded without even sparing her a glance.

"I'm meeting Jaehyun again," she said, hoping to catch her father's attention.

"Good for you. Don't mess it up and leave this house soon," he replied coldly.

Yerim gripped her bag tightly as she bowed before she left. Most fathers will say 'Go safely!' or 'Take care!' when their daughter went out, but her father didn't even care enough to even bat an eyelash at her.

She took a few deep breaths to calm herself down when she felt her cell phone buzzing.
"Rim? I'm here. Should I come inside and greet your father?"

"Oh, no you don't have to! I'm already heading out, yeah. See you outside," she quickly said.

Jaehyun opened his window and saw her walking down the stairs leading to his car. She looked a little distraught but still pretty in her casual getaway.

"Are you okay?" He asked when he saw her flustered face.

"Uhm, yeah. I'm fine," she mumbled as she buckled the seat belt.

Jaehyun stared at her from time to time, watching her fidgets in her seat as she stared outside with a blank look.

"Hey, are you really fine?"

She jolted; a bit startled when he talked.

"Uh, actually... no. Just… some problem at home. It's fine though," she brushed it off casually. The rest of the drive was spent in a comfortable silence, and Yerim was thankful that Jaehyun didn’t prod.
"We've arrived," he announced as the car pulled up into a parking spot.

"The place didn't change much," she commented as she saw the signature red neon lights and lanterns that decorated the store front.

"Let's go. I bet you're hungry," he beckoned. They entered the shop and the old auntie beamed when he saw Jaehyun.
"Oh, Jung Jaehyun! I haven't seen you in months! How have you been? And your brother? Where are your friends?"

"I'm good, ahjumma. I'm not with them but I'm bringing back a long-lost member of the group," Jaehyun grinned as he put a hand on Yerim's back before pushing her forward softly.

Yerim stared at the woman and remembered her clearly. She was in her early forties back then which means she's probably around fifty right now.

"Ahjumma… I'm Kim Yerim.. Do you remember me?" She asks softly.

The auntie's eyes flickered to a picture hung on the wall.

"Oh my, Yerim! The only princess of the gang! Is that you?! You changed a lot! You're way prettier now! Oh my, I almost didn't recognize you without your bangs!" Auntie Han said as she pulled the girl into a hug.

Yerim returned the hug warmly, clearly missing the older female. Auntie Han was a short plump female with a fiery personality. She adored the high school kids that often frequent her store. She loved them so much to the point that she hung a picture with them in the store.

Yerim stared at the picture longingly. It was the aunt's birthday. They all gathered and helped at the restaurant, and they even pitched in to buy her a new cash register. The picture was taken in front of the shop. The nice aunt was in the middle and Yerim was next to her, hugging her tightly.
"We looked so young, there," Jaehyun commented when he noticed Yerim examining the picture.

"We did. Look at my hair. It's an abomination," she shuddered.

Jaehyun laughed heartily, "What? You looked cute as a high schooler."

She rolled her eyes and he grinned.

"Wanna hang out with the guys sometime this month?"

"Actually… I'd love to. But I'm… a bit hesitant. I'm scared of facing them again. I was gone for ten years, you know."

"When I told Jungwoo i've been seeing you, that kid was ecstatic. He missed you."

Yerim fiddled with the hem of her sweater as she pondered a bit.

"Imagine how happy Ten to be seeing you, that kid would be ecstatic on the news of you coming back. And we have yet introduced you to Sicheng's wife. And Ten's girlfriend too."

"Okay then. Maybe in one or two weeks? I'll…. Prepare myself first," Yerim said sheepishly

"What preparation? Just come and we'll all be happy. Alright, maybe bring one of the cakes from your cafe because I already miss the food from there!"



 
"Appa, where are we going?" Jeno asked curiously as his father dressed his baby brother.

"See that picture?"

Jeno nodded, "We've met Lucas samchon, Ten samchon, Woo samchon, and Yerim imo," he pointed out.

"Yes. Today, we're going to meet the others!"

Jeno smiled, "Are they all nice like Yerim imo?"

"Oh, very. You're going to like them. They are fun like Jungwoo samchon," Jaehyun said.

“Really?”

“Mm hm,” Jaehyun mussed up his son’s thick hair and smiled, "Let's go?"



 
After half an hour of driving, the car pulled up into a parking position and Jaehyun went out to unstrap his kids from their car seat.

He picked Sungchan up first and then held onto Jeno's hand before walking to the entrance. When the server opened the door to the restaurant, Lucas was the first one to stand up and spot them.
"Jeno!"

Jeno smiled from behind his father's legs.

"Lucas samchon!"

Ten grinned as he waved and the kid waved back.
"How are the first ones to know about your kids are the Wongs? I thought we were besties, Jae!" Sicheng groaned.

Jaehyun grinned sheepishly as he let the enthusiastic Lucas and Ten drag his son away.

"So, are you gonna introduce them or not, hyung?" Mark raised a brow.

Jaehyun sighed as he sat down next to Jeno who was already engaged in a conversation with Lucas.

"This ball of giggles right here, is Sungchan. And, Jen? Why don't you introduce yourself to appa’s friends?"

Jeno looked up to his father and shyly looked around.

"I am Jeno."

"And how old are you Jeno?" Ten asked.

"Five!"

The entire table smiled.

"Do you remember me?"

"Ten samchon."

"Oh, how about me?"

"Lucas samchon."

"And these are?"

"Woo samchon and appa!"

"Oh, he called you appa now. He used to call you samchon," Ten grinned.
"Hey, hey, I want to be introduced too!" Sicheng said, and Mark and Dejun nodded as well.

"Jeno-ya, that man is Sicheng samchon. That's Mark samchon and next to him is Dejun samchon."

"Hello samchon," he bowed and smiled shyly.

"He's so cute," Sicheng remarked.

"He is, isn’t he? Oh, yeah, Sicheng, by the way. I forgot to ask! So, what's the gender of Yiyang's baby?" Jaehyun turned to his friend.

"It's a girl," Sicheng smiled fondly.

"Wow! Jeno you're going to have a new friend soon! Well, maybe not Jeno but Sungchan," Mark grinned.

"When's the due date, ge?" Dejun asked.

"In three months. Please wish us luck," Sicheng blushed.

"How's saozi doing?" Mark asked.

"She's doing well. She missed you guys. Shall we get together next week?"

“Sure. There’s so many good news to celebrate. We should get together!” Ten nodded excitedly

"Oh, speaking about good news!" Jungwoo perked up, "My hyung here, has some other good news to share!"

All eyes turned to Jaehyun and the said guy turned to Jungwoo in confusion.

"Oh, well, hyung… maybe you can tell them about the long-lost friend eomma set you up with...?"

Ten's eyebrows rose immediately, "Your mother forced you to go on dates? Usually you reject them."

"Oh, hyung, you should meet this one then. She secured a third date with the exclusive Jung Jaehyun. She even got the liberty to meet the kids before you guys did!" Jungwoo cackled evilly, ignoring his brother's glares.
"What?!? Really? Who is this lucky girl?!" Lucas perked up.

"I met up with Yerim again," Jaehyun quickly admitted before he got roasted further.
Everyone went silent and Jeno speaks up innocently, "Yerim imo is pretty and she has so many cute dogs!"

Jaehyun held back his urge to facepalm himself. Way to go, Jeno!
"Kim Yerim is back?" Sicheng gaped.

"Apparently, she is. And my mother is persistent on setting me up with her."

"In my defense, you didn't refuse," Jungwoo stuck out his tongue playfully.

"Well, she's a very dear friend and I haven't seen her in what? Ten years? Of course, I'd like to…. Y’know, reconnect… at least."

"And become more if possible. Nice," Dejun shared a high five with Jungwoo.

"How is she now?" Ten asked. Yerim was part of their gang and he missed her.

"She's doing well. She had some businesses. Not her family's business, she's a vet now."

"Vet? That's quite unlikely of her but that's cool. So, when can we meet her again? I missed that girl," Ten mused.

"Next week? We can gather at my house since Yiyang can't go too far because of her pregnancy."

"Alright, I'll try telling her."



 
"You can do this Yerim, you can. Okay, deep breath ..."

Yerim engaged herself in a self-pep talk as she stood in front of the house that Jaehyun sent the address to earlier.

She fiddled with the hem of her cashmere sweater restlessly. She had refused Jaehyun's offer of picking her up. She made excuses about having to do a surgery to a cat—which wasn't a total lie since she indeed did it but early this morning. She ended up taking the subway and walking the extra 1 km from the station to Sicheng's house. She did end up sweating a bit and she's sure her face is probably flushed right now, but she didn't really care. She needs time to recollect her thought.

She hasn't seen her friends in 10 years and she's not entirely sure of their reaction upon meeting her again. Jaehyun assured her that everyone missed her but she's not thoroughly convinced. And she didn't know how to act around Jaehyun either. She told her father before she left that she's meeting Jaehyun and he brushed her off coldly as usual. He did tell her to speed up the dating process so he didn't have to deal with her anymore.

She guessed the journey from her house to Sicheng's residence did clear up some of her thoughts. She took a few deep breaths before knocking the door nervously.
The door opened and revealed an eager looking Jungwoo.
"It's Yerim noona!! Noona, I missed you!"

The younger guy tackled her into a hug and Yerim laughed nervously as she patted his back. But she couldn't deny that she's happy to see him again.

Jaehyun turned around in surprise at the commotion, and smiled at her as he prepared Sungchan's porridge. What he didn't expect was for Jeno to left Lucas and whatever lego creation they made to give her a hug as well.

"Yerim imo! I missed you! Do you bring Cookie and Snowy with you?"

Yerim chuckled and bent down to return the hug.

"Hi, Jeno. No, imo cannot bring them here. But you can ask your father if he could bring you to the cafe again so you can meet them," she answered softly before standing up.

All her friends were gaping as she stepped inside and Ten had a comedic shocked look on his face.
"Uhm… hi? I brought cake….?"
The next thing she knew, she was engulfed in a great group hug which was initiated by Lucas.

"Noona! We missed you! Where have you been!" Dejun grinned.

"I'm sorry for going away for too long," She replied shyly.

"Well… welcome to my house then. This is my wife, Yiyang."

Yerim smiled at the pregnant woman in front of her.

"Hi, I'm Kim Yerim. I'm sorry I didn't come to your wedding. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Uhm… I bring two cakes today. We can cut one of them but the other one is for you guys. A late wedding gift… I guess. I hope you still like strawberry, Sicheng."

Sicheng grinned and kissed his wife's temple.

"Nice to finally meet you Yerim! I'm Xu Yiyang. And yes, we love strawberries a lot! Thank you so much, I'll put them in the fridge," the woman smiled kindly.

"Alright, it's my turn then. Hello again, Yerim! This my girlfriend, Huiqing," Ten grinned.

Yerim beamed at the petite girl, "Hi, I'm Yerim!"

"I"m Huiqing, nice to meet you, eonni!"
Yerim smiled as she looked around. Her friends did really treat her as if she never disappeared without trace ten years ago.

"See? They missed you," Jaehyun grinned. Yerim jolted in surprise when he appeared suddenly.

"Thanks for forcing me to come," she grinned.

He shrugged and smiled warmly at her.
"Oi! Lovebirds! Dinner's ready!" Ten shouted.

Yerim blushed and Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

"Imo, sit with me!" Jeno held her hands.

"Oh, shall I?" She smiled before sitting down next to him. Jungwoo plopped himself next to her with a grin.

"Jeno likes you so much it's unfair! I was the first one she met," Lucas commented.

"Well, she had the dogs and the sweets, so go ahead open a bakery and adopt some dogs to win his heart," Jungwoo retorted as Jeno looked around cluelessly.
"So, Rim, you're a vet now? I heard from Jaehyun," Ten spoke up.

"Yeah... I owned an animal clinic."

"And the cafe?" Mark piped up.

"Well actually besides the clinic, I also operate an animal shelter. And to help fund the shelter and also promotes adoption, I opened a dog cafe," she shyly explained.

"Wow, that's awesome! We should go there sometimes!" Dejun exclaimed.

"Do come! I'll treat you guys and bring you around for a tour."

"Do you bake yourself?" Yiyang asked.

Yerim blushed, "I used to, but the business is growing so I have several people to help me. I did the recipe development myself though. And the cake I bring today, I baked it myself since the cafe sold out."

"I sometimes forget that without Jaehyun and Yerim I would probably starve myself in high school," Sicheng mused.

"Well, you can't cook to save your life," Yiyang rolled her eyes.

Yerim smiled as she watched the scene before her. Dejun and Jungwoo having inside jokes. Ten and Sicheng bickering and Jaehyun trying to play referee. Lucas and Mark with their weird and funny anecdotes. It's just like the old time.

She missed this.



 
"Did you bring your own car?" Jaehyun asked as he buttoned up Jeno's jacket.

"Oh, no, I actually took the subway today."

"Subway?! I thought you said you have a surgery?"

"Uhm, after the surgery I have to visit a friend first. Yeah…" she lied smoothly.

"Alright, I'll drive you home then," he offered lightly.

"Ah, no, you don't have to! I can call a cab! I mean, aren't you going home with Jungwoo too?"

"I lived in my own apartment and Jungwoo still lives with our parents. He brought his own car. It's okay, it's safer to travel with someone when it's already night," Jaehyun insisted.
"Bye hyung! Bye noona! And Yiyang noona, Sicheng hyung, the food is amazing thanks a lot!" Mark waved his hand as he went out, followed by Dejun.

"Yerim! How are you getting home?" Sicheng asked.

"I'll hail—"

"I'll drive her home, don't worry," Jaehyun cut her off.

"Alright then, take care you two," Sicheng smiled knowingly as he sent them to the door.
Yerim sighed in defeat and took Jeno's hand as Jaehyun picked the snoozing Sungchan up.

She watched as Jaehyun carefully strap him to the car seat before turning to help Jeno in.

"Go in first, it's cold," Jaehyun smiled as he buckled Jeno's seat belt.

She went in and a minute later Jaehyun followed suit.
They were basked in a comfortable silence since the kids are already dozing off at the back.

Jaehyun stole a glance at her briefly before focusing back on the road in front of him. She looked beautiful tonight. On their first meeting she was using her scrubs. On their second meeting, she was wearing a blouse and some jeans. On the third meeting to the noodle shop, she was wearing a turtleneck and pants. Tonight, she dressed up a bit in a cashmere sweater and skirt. She looked beautiful in anything though.

Jaehyun never sees her in a romantic light before. She was indeed beautiful but she was always just Yerim to him. Yerim who's smart in biology. Yerim who likes to cook. Yerim who never cried easily. Yerim who was the only girl in their little circle of friends.

After ten years, they both changed. But if anything, she looked better. She was still playful and kind but she had a more mature aura surrounding her.

He knew his mother had high hopes with him and Yerim. She kept badgering him to bring her out to dates to woo her off. There were plenty of reasons why his mother really hoped they hit it off well.

First of all, she already knew Yerim before. Her father and her family owned a respectable company so they knew she was brought up in the same class as Jaehyun. Second, Yerim is beautiful, polite, and smart. She's also good with cooking which was a star quality in his mother's eyes. Third, she belongs to the same circle of friends of Jaehyun so his mother was assured of her upbringing. And last but not least, she accepted Jaehyun and his sons well. The Jung matriarch has heard from her little birdie—a.k.a her youngest son, Jungwoo—on how the kids really loved Yerim. And deep down, Mrs. Jung knew, if the kids approved, then Jaehyun would have no problem with it. And to be honest, he never had any problems from the start. Yerim matched his personality a lot and Mrs. Jung would love her to be her daughter-in law.

Jaehyun stared ahead as he entered the Kim’s residency.

"We're here," he announced.

"Thank you so much for bringing me home safely," Yerim smiled.

"It's nothing."

"Uhm... thanks anyway. Send my regards to Jeno and Sungchan."

Jaehyun smiled as she exited the car and began climbing the steps leading to the front door.
"Wait, Yerim!"

Jaehyun rolled down the window and she turned around in surprise.

Jaehyun stepped out of the car and Yerim stopped on her tracks.

"Yes?"

"This Friday... will you go out on a lunch with me?"

She blinked her eyes in confusion.

"Lunch?"

"Uh uh. We can pick up Jeno from his kindergarten too. He'll be happy to see you again. And uh… I kind want to see you again too," Jaehyun gulped as he waited for her answer, shifting nervously on his feet.

He sighed in relief when she smiled sweetly, "Of course, I'd love to."
A/N
Heyho! So the gang is finally complete!!!! Finally, everyone reunited! Jaehyun and the kids are getting closer to Yerim too~  Let's just see how their relationship progresses, shall we? ;););)
Thank you for everyone who's reading, commenting, subscribing, and upvoting this story! it means a lot to me. i love every one of you dearly!
Love, btfg <3