o29 || party pooper

the pursuit of happiness
 
29
 
party pooper
"What do I do now?" Jaehyun asked helplessly. That man can cook but when it involves baking, then he's useless.

"Stick it in the oven for 30 minutes. I've set the temperature. Now, we wait," Yerim replied as she finished the sauce for the potato gratin.

After a lot of gossiping with Jaehyun's mother and brother, the guy dragged her back to her apartment and now they're cooking dinner together.
"Eomma, do I put this in now?"

Yerim turned to Jeno who sat on the counter next to her.

"Yes, put in the salt now," she nodded. Jeno grinned before carefully dumping the salt into the pot. The boy loved it when his parents allowed him to join them cooking.

"Do you like cooking together like this, Nono-ya?" Jaehyun asked as he leaned against the kitchen island.

"Yes! I like cooking!"

"What about you little man?"

Jaehyun turned to his baby who was babbling gleefully in his high chair.

Yerim turned off the stove after the sauce simmered down, covering it with a lid to keep it warm while they waited for the potato to finish baking in the oven. She helped Jeno down from the counter he's sitting at before going to the sink to rinse her hands.

She was in the middle of drying her hands when her cell phone rang loudly from the living room.
"Oh, I got a call. Wait up."

She walked briskly to the living room to answer the call. She hesitated when she saw her father's name on the caller ID so she decided to walk to the balcony to answer the call.
"Hello, abeoji?"

"Yerim. Your aunts are coming tomorrow. We're having a very important family meeting. You are required to come."

"Oh, so I'm family now," she muttered, voice dripping in sarcasm. She's still salty and hurt over the fact that her father wished her to die instead of surviving the accident.

"We're going to discuss about you. You have to come or I'll ask someone to personally drag you here. You know I always have my ways."

"What is it about anyway? It sounds urgent," she grunted.

"We're going to settle down your problem once and for all. I don't accept discussion. Just make sure that you are present tomorrow. If you behave well, it won't take long. Ugh, I'll hang up now."
Yerim felt her shoulder tensing. Settling her problem once and for all? Are they finally deleting her from her family register?

She realized she went out without anything to warm her up and she shuddered from the nipping cold. She brushed her face angrily before going back inside. Her father really knows how to bring her down when she's feeling high. Way to go, party pooper.

"What's wrong? Who called?"

She turned to see Jaehyun standing with a worried expression on his face in the middle of her apartment.

"You didn't bring your jacket with you outside. It's cold. Come here," Jaehyun spoke again and opened his arms.

Yerim quickly walked his way and enjoyed his warm embrace, her tense shoulders relaxed immediately.

"What's wrong?" Jaehyun whispered against the top of her head.

"My father called. He said that I need to go back home tomorrow to talk about something."

"Do you want me to come with you?" Jaehyun asked gently as he rubbed her back.

"No, no. It's not going to be pretty and I don't want you to witness how much of a wreck my family is. But… Can you drop me off there?" She muttered as she looked up to see his face.

Jaehyun smiled and pecked her frosty lips, "I'll wait for you with the kids. Now, shall we have dinner?"

"Can you hold me a little longer?"

Jaehyun nodded and pulled her closer.

"Of course. Hey Jeno? Wanna join in a family hug?"

"Wait for me!!"


 


 


"Will you be okay?"

Jaehyun stepped out of the car and fixed the collar of Yerim's coat.

"I will. There's a park near here, you can bring the kids to play with the snow there. I'll call you once I'm done," Yerim assured him.

"You're sure you don't want me to come with you?"

Yerim chuckled, "Someone needs to keep an eye on the boys. I'll go straight to you if things went… awry."

"I hope such things won't happen. Alright, take care, okay?" Jaehyun huffed worriedly before kissing her forehead.

"I will. One more for good luck?"

Jaehyun smiled before giving her lips a kiss.

"Have fun with kids while I go to war!" Yerim cheekily retorts before turning to go inside.

Yerim waved her hands and watched Jaehyun's car leave. She then took a few seconds to calm her anxious heart before stepping inside.

Once she's inside, a maid bowed and directed her to her father's library where everyone's already waiting for her appearance.

She held her head high and went inside, feeling sick when she had to face her father and his sisters.
"You came. Good. Take a seat," one of her aunts said.

She hesitantly sat down in a vacant chair and waited for someone to talk.

"Let's just cut down to the chase, shall we. Brother, please, tell your daughter about it."

Yerim snickered when her oldest aunt talked.
Her father cleared his throat before he spoke.

"Yerim. Next year you will turn 29 and it's getting harder for us to find you a s—"

"I thought I made it clear to all of you years ago that I don't want any of you to meddle with my love life."

"Yes. But we're bound together by your grandfather's will. We all need the inheritance and you're standing in our way."

"I don't care about the inheritance and all of you can enjoy my part, gomo. Just… stop bothering me," Yerim protested.

"You know it when the will was being read that we need court approval to claim the inheritance and the company stocks. We need your marriage certificate," one of her aunts said.

"Just… delete me from the family tree, then! Ah, screw this."

"You know we can't do that."

"Since when do you care about my feelings, gomo? Just do it."

"Oh, we will. But after you get married and we've settled down the inheritance. That's why we're arranging you with the Lee's son. Their company has a good profile that can benefit us and also will guarantee you a comfortable life until your death."
Yerim balked immediately, "Marriage? What the hell?!"

"I know you're getting close with the Jung's son, but your progress took too long. We want to settle down this problem as soon as possible. The Lees already agreed to this and the marriage can take place early next year—"

"What the ? No, I'm not agreeing to this! I'm already in a relationship with Jaehyun! There's no way I'm—"
"If you can leave him easily ten years ago, I think you can do it now too, now."

Yerim balled her fist angrily at one of her aunts’ comments.

"Jaehyun had sons that look up to me and I adore so much. I can't possibly leave them just for this Fan guy and some money!"

"That Jung kid had sons? So, he’s… A divorcee? That won't do good for our company and family name. Lee Hyuk is definitely better."

"What? No! I'm not marrying that Lee Hyuk!"
"It's settled. If you insist on marrying that Jung son, are you sure you can marry him early next year?" Her father asked challengingly.

"All of you are the cursed one, not me. no, I'm not marrying that guy. End of discussion, may you all rot in hell!"
She stormed off furiously and wiped off the angry tears that fell from her eyes. She crouched down and sobbed helplessly. Her family could all go to hell.

She waited a few minutes until she completely calmed down before making her way out from her father's property. She needed to clear her mind. She walked weakly towards the park, hoping she'll meet Jaehyun and the boys there.

After ten minutes of slow walking which was good enough to dry her tears, she arrived at the park. It was filled with people despite the cold weather. She walked inside the park, instantly spotting Jaehyun on a corner of the park. They were building something that vaguely resembles a snowman.

"Oh, it's eomma!" Jaehyun grinned and Jeno bolted immediately to greet her.

"I made a snowman! Look ma!"
Yerim followed the enthusiastic boy and crouched on the snowy ground to greet Sungchan.

"Hi, baby boy. First snow of your life, how does it feel?" She cooed and the baby giggled happily.

Jaehyun examined her silently. He could see her eyes were slightly puffy and her voice sounded a little hoarse.
"Are you okay? How does it go?" He asked softly.

Yerim shook her head weakly, "Can we talk about this later? At night? I want to have fun with the kids first," she murmured.

"Okay. Okay."

"Thank you. Hey, Jeno! Shall we have a snow fight? Let's attack your father!"

Yerim grinned before throwing a handful of snow towards him.
"Wait, what? Hey! Hey!"

Jeno beamed and joined his mother shortly. Jaehyun spent the next fifteen minutes screaming his head off while shielding the happy unbothered baby in his arms as his first son and his fiancée threw snow his way mercilessly. But looking at their gleeful expressions, Jaehyun was okay. As long as they're happy.


 


 


Jaehyun patted Jeno’s back, smiling fondly to see the boy sleeping so calmly. He looked up to see Yerim softly bouncing Sungchan on her arms while softly whispering sweet nothings to the baby.

“Jeno’s asleep?” Yerim whispered softly and Jaehyun nodded.

“Are we going to talk now?” he replied.

“Sure. I’ll tuck in Sungchan first,” she agreed.

Jaehyun nodded and stood up as silently as he could before tiptoeing outside. He shivered at the cold temperature and walked to crank the heater up. He went to the couch and sat down, picking up a woolen blanket from under the coffee table.

Yerim appeared a minute later, softly closing the bedroom room behind her. Jaehyun looked at her wordlessly and opened his arms wide. Yerim let out a small smile before sitting down on the couch and enjoying Jaehyun's warm embrace. Jaehyun patted her back and she let out an appreciative hum.
Jaehyun waited for her to talk and spent his time drawing comforting circles on her back.

"Jaehyun…"

"Hmm?"

"My family went beyond the line this time," she murmured.

"Did they do anything to you?" He pulled back and stared at her sad eyes. She softly shook her head and bit her lip, not knowing how to deliver the news.

"They... they want to marry me off to this guy."
"Marry?! Wait, wait, I thought your father met my parents back then and that's how my mother started her crazy schemes to bring us together?" He raised his brows.

"I know. But my aunts said we were… taking too long. They just can't wait to erase me from their lives," she sighed.

"That's ridiculous!"

"They're greedy for money, Jaehyun. This guy... Lee Hyuk was it? They want me to marry him."
Jaehyun held back a growl. There's no way he's letting Yerim go.

"They knew we're in a relationship, right?"

"They knew. But they thought that we're taking longer than they expected. They wanted me to marry that Lee guy early next year. But I can't! Jaehyun, I can't leave you or your kids, I don't want it, I hate the thought of it. Jaehyun, I—"
"Ssshh… Rim, we'll be fine. Should we quicken—"
"No, Jaehyun. I'm not forcing you to marry me now," she shook her head vehemently.

"Okay, okay. Shall I talk to yo—"

"No! Ugh, I don't want you to feel burdened, Jaehyun. You know that I love you a lot, right?"

Jaehyun smiled and nodded, "I know. And I love you a lot too. We're not going to let that Lee guy and your family get between us, okay?"

Yerim nodded.
"Can we sleep on the couch again like that one time?" She asked timidly.

He chuckled and nodded before bringing her down to lay with him. He draped the blanket over their body and pulled her back flushed against his chest. He hugged her tightly and played with the ring on her finger. The last time they slept like this was that time when he proposed to her.
"Jaehyun?"

"Hmm?"

"Good night. I love you."

"You too, Yerim. And I love you more."
A/N
hi ho! sorry i'm late again teehee. i thought i can catch a breather after escaping my pediatric rotation.... but now i am stationed in forensics:))) my days are full of doing autopsy, making visums, and dealing with bodies :))) but i'm enjoying it and if you recall on my story catch him if you can (go check it out if you havent teehee) that i really love forensics, so yeah. it's enjoyable, just.... traumatizing.
at least i'm trying my ebst to deliver an update!
hana doesn't make an appearance, but i'm adding something, or rather, someone else to the already full plate. let's see how the couple gets through everything shall we? :))
and... just when i haven;t get over the sticker era.... our 127 boys are already making a comeback :))) just great! but anyways, keep supporting the boys!!!
thank you for everyone who has been patient with me, for reading my stories, subscribing, leaving comments and also upvotes. they mean a lot to me! hope everyone stays happy and healthy!
Love, btfg <3