o39 || happily ever after

the pursuit of happiness
 
39
 
happily ever after
"Kim Yerim!!"

Yerim looked up and laughed as five grown men barged into her bridal room. The ahjussi that guarded her room looked horrified at the ruckus.

"It's okay, ahjussi. They are guests, the groomsmen," Yerim smiled. The ahjussi doesn't look too convinced though.


"Oh my, Yerimie! Jaehyun is guaranteed to bawl his eyeballs out when he sees you later! Has he seen you in this dress?" Ten asked.

"Of course, he hasn't. Do I look good?" Yerim grinned.

"Noona, you look amazing! Oh, oh, do a twirl, noona!" Mark clapped his hands.

Yerim laughed and stood up, twirling a little, earning whistles and claps from her friends.

"Have you seen Jaehyun hyung and the kids, noona?"

"Only up until this morning. I was whisked away even before breakfast time. Jungwoo said it's bad luck to see the groom before the ceremony. I mean, legally, Jaehyun and I were already married. But well, Jungwoo was persistent," Yerim chuckled as she sat back down.

"You should see them, noona! Jeno and Sungchan looked so cute in their tuxes! They will be the ring bearer and the flower boy, right? Gosh, they will look super adorable!" Lucas cooed.

"I can't wait to see them. And oh, Sicheng and Ten! Yiyang and Huiqing went here before you did. Lining has grown so much in a couple months!"

"That's why, you and Jaehyun should go have a daughter of your own too!" Sicheng teased.

Yerim felt herself blushing and quickly brushed her friend off, "I'll wait for Ten and Huiqing first!"

"Sorry, we're still in the honeymoon phase," Ten denied smugly.

"Ah, looking at the three of you made me want to get married too," Lucas sighed.

"Well, you could, if you stop dating around pointlessly," Ten laughed at his step-brother.


"Anyways, Sicheng, thank you for letting Jaehyun and I hold our wedding in your hotel!"

"It's alright. It's already a pact between Jaehyun, Ten, and I, okay? We'll all have our wedding here!"

"And enjoy the honeymoon trip gift from me and the other boys!" Ten grinned.

"Honeymoon trip gift…? Wait, what?"

"Just enjoy the trip, noona. We gifted you and Jaehyun hyung a honeymoon trip for next week. Have fun and make babies, okay?" Dejun teased.

"Oh my God…. Guys! You don't have to!"

"Oh, shush! We can't believe that our two best friends are finally married, so it's only rational for us to splurge a little. Live a happy life, okay, you two? Now, let's take some pictures first!" Sicheng grinned.


 


Yerim walked slowly on her heels. The ceremony is about to start and she's about to walk down the aisle. Honestly, she’s nervous as hell.
"Eomma!"
She turned around and beamed when she saw Sungchan and Jeno running towards her. Well, Jeno is running. Sungchan is waddling like a little duck more than anything.

"My babies! You look handsome, buddy! Who dressed you up in this suit?" Yerim bent down to give Jeno a hug.

"Woo samchon and halmae did! Look at Sungchanie too, eomma! Appa said I will bring the rings and Sungchan can throw the flowers!"

Yerim nodded, opening her arms wider so she could catch Sungchan.

"Eomma!" Sungchan grinned.

"Hello, ducky. You'll do a good job with your hyung, right?"

Sungchan beamed and nodded.

"Eomma, you look like a princess! And appa looked like a prince!" Jeno squealed.

"Really? Do you think your appa will like how I look?" Yerim asked.

"Of course! You are even prettier than princesses!" Jeno nodded.
"Yerim? Can we talk?"

"Oh, harabeoji!" Jeno beamed, waving his arm innocently.
Yerim looked back in surprise to see her father.

"Nono-ya, Sungchanie, wait here, okay? Jeno, can you look after your brother?"

"Okay!"
Yerim stood up and approached her father. God, this feels awkward. The last time she saw them was two days ago during her late grandfather's inheritance settlement, which was also the day she decided she would cut ties with her family.

"Abeoji," she bowed her head respectfully.

Her father gave her a once over and smiled.

"This dress… you looked just like your mother on her wedding day. Very beautiful. Your mother must've been smiling from heaven."

Yerim smiled awkwardly, not knowing how to respond. This is the first time in 20 years that her father ever complimented her.

"Yerim-ah… Look, I want to apologize to you. What I've been doing to you was wrong, and I was wrong too for listening to my sisters. You were never at fault. I'm sorry that you had to grow up bearing many scars because of my doing. I'm so grateful that you met someone like Jaehyun and his family. I'm glad that you've found your happiness now. Today is your happy day and I'm happy for you."

"Abeoji…"

"No, no, don't cry now. You will ruin your pretty make-up. And, uh, I knew you didn't want to receive any of your harabeoji's shares, but I'm still giving you some part of mine. You deserve it. I know money can't compensate for what I've done to you, but I just want to give you something before you completely leave our family. You are my only daughter, and I haven't really give you anything in the past few years. Consider it a wedding gift from me. Or, or maybe... a parting gift? I promise you; your aunts and your cousins will stop bothering you. I know I've never been a reliable father, but you can count on me now; they will never disturb you ever again. So, be happy with Jaehyun and your two kids, okay? I promise I won't be a bother to you too. If visiting me is too much of a bother, please just… at least send pictures? If contacting me is still too awkward for you... Uh, you can reach my secretary anytime. I… I still want to know how you and your family are doing," her father smiled awkwardly.
At this moment, Yerim finally realized that she's not the only one hurting. Her father too, bore scars from the past. She lost a mother during that accident, but her father lost a wife and child too. And her father must've felt so much pressure from his awful sisters and family. Yes, Yerim got hurt. But her father got hurt too. She can't help but to feel a little guilty as well. She knew her father's actions towards her all this time were unjustifiable, but if she had to put herself in her father's shoes, she also didn't know know to act.They spent years hating each other, so she guessed it was finally time to let go of those hard feelings and start a new page. Yerim hates the feeling of having to hate someone, especially if that someone is her own father. Maybe the two of them could start a new relationship together, a proper one, and start mending their broken ties.
"Abeoji… Of course, we'll visit you! The kids need to get to know their harabeoji too. Oh, abeoji…"

She rushed forward, pulling her old father into a hug. It felt warm, just like how it used to feel 20 years ago. She can feel her father's shoulders shaking a little as he embraced her.

"You grew up so well, Yerim-ah. Oh, my dear, Yerimie… You've grown a lot. You've grown up. Forgive your bad father and live a happy life, okay? I'm going to walk you down the altar, and you'll meet your husband, your future, your happiness. Forget about the past and live happily ever after, okay?"

Her father pulled back and Yerim nodded, reaching to wipe his tears and leaning in to give his cheek a kiss, something she hasn't done in 20 years.

"Thank you, abeoji. I will always love you."

Her father smiled, lacing his arm with hers, "And your mother and I will always love you, daughter."


 


"Oh! Oh! Oh, oh they're coming, hyung!" Jungwoo whispered excitedly.

Jaehyun felt his heart racing as the wedding march started to play.

"Dude, turn around," Sicheng whispered playfully.

Jaehyun shut his eyes close and prepared himself before turning around.

When he opened his eyes, the first sight he saw was Sungchan waddling excitedly, throwing flower petals everywhere and earning a lot of coos from the guests. Right beside him, holding his dongsaeng's hand and holding the ring box, is Jeno. His sons looked so adorable and dashing.

Behind them was the love of his life.


Jaehyun felt his breath getting away immediately. Yerim looked so ethereal. Jaehyun couldn't even see Huiqing and Yiyang who were walking behind her as the bridesmaids. His eyes were fixated at his bride. It was worth not seeing her for the few hours before the ceremony.

"Don't forget to breathe, hyung. I know noona looked like a goddess," Jungwoo teased.

Jaehyun immediately let out a breath he didn't know he was holding as his father-in-law walked closer.


He bowed politely, "Jangin-nim."

"Jung seobang. Take care of my daughter for me, yeah? Make her happy, always."

Jaehyun nodded, "I promise, I will."

Mr. Kim patted his son-in-law's hand, and Jaehyun felt his own hand trembling as he took Yerim's hand from her father's.
It's weird. They have registered their marriage. Technically, and legally, they're already husband and wife. But still, they haven't done the ceremony yet so it doesn't feel like they're completely married. Feels like they're just getting married now.

They walked slowly in front of the officiator and he smiled softly at her before they took their place and bowed at each other.
"Hey. You're…. You're very beautiful," Jaehyun greeted softly.

Yerim was grateful she had her veil covering her face because she's sure she's already blushing right now.

"Thank you. You also look very good."
The officiator, who was one of Jaehyun's close uncles, cleared his throat and they both turned their attention to him.

"Good morning, everyone! Today, we are gathered here to celebrate the wedding of Jung Jaehyun and Kim Yerim. I am Jung Yunho, the master of ceremony and officiator today."

"The ceremony will be started by exchanging vows. To the groom and bride, you may start. Who would like to start first?"
"Can I…?" Jaehyun raised his hand.

"Of course! Go ahead, Jaehyun-ah."

Jungwoo passed a microphone to his brother, and Jaehyun accepted it with trembling hands.
"Oof, alright. I'm nervous," he said, earning chuckles from the guests.
Jaehyun let out a shaky smile as he took one of Yerim's hands.

"Hi. Uh, Yerim. It still feels surreal for me that I'm standing here in front of you as your groom. We've been best friends before, separated, reunited, engaged, and now we're going to be married. I'm so grateful that you accepted my proposal back then. More than that, I'm also grateful you accepted all of me, both of my good and bad sides. I'm grateful that you accepted my family, especially my two sons. Therefore, I promise, I will take care of you and our families and I will give you all of my love, in rich and in poor, in sickness and health, in sadness and happiness, for better or for worse, until death do us apart."
Yerim felt herself choking a bit. How could she top that? Jaehyun and his way with words…

She smiled shakily as she received a microphone.
"Hello, Jaehyun. It's also surreal for me that we can be where we are right now. I never thought that there would be a time where I'm going to be married and start my own family. I have long lost my belief in love, and I have you to thank for restoring my faith in love. Thank you for always believing in me, for always reassuring me, and for always staying with me during my tough times. I don't think I could ever repay your kindness, or even attempt to do the same amount of things to you. But I promise, I will always stand by your side, and also our families' side. I will always give you and our family my most sincere love, and I vowed that I will not run away again, and I will always be there for us, in rich and in poor, in sickness and health, in sadness and happiness, for better or for worse, until death do us apart."
The guests, including their parents' and friends were all shedding tears, touched by their heartfelt vows.
"We've heard their meaningful vows, and we hope the two of you will always hold onto your vows and live a happy life until death do the two of you apart. Now, we're going to exchange the rings. Who's holding the ring?"
"Me!" Jeno quipped, raising his arm excitedly. Everyone chuckled at his cuteness.

"Come on, Nono, give the rings to your parents," Jungwoo whispered to his nephew.

Jeno walked shyly to the front with the ring box.
"Here, appa," Jeno smiled, his eyes turning into crescents as he proudly presented the rings.

"Thank you, Nono-ya," Jaehyun smiled as he bent down to take the ring from him, and slowly slipped it around Yerim's ring finger.

"And now eomma's turn," Yerim smiled, patting Jeno's fluffy hair before taking the ring and slipping it into Jaehyun's finger.
"Ja! Now, that we're done with the ring exchange, I'm sure this one is everybody's long awaited part, right?"

The whole crowd cheered and the newly married couple chuckled as well. Jaehyun's uncle is a very entertaining MC. They're glad they picked him to lead the event today.

"Alright, everybody, now that the groom and bride have tied the knot, the groom… Jaehyun-ah?"

"U-uh, yes, samchon?" Jaehyun turned around in surprise when his name was suddenly called.

"I was just joking. You may now kiss your bride!"
The crowd laughed and Jaehyun couldn't help but to laugh at his uncle's antics. He took a deep breath before approaching Yerim again. He took a moment to admire her. This is his wife. The one who's going to be his long-life partner, and the mother to his children. This is his soulmate.
He sighed happily before lifting her veil, and enjoying her beautiful face without the veil obscuring it for the first time.
"Have I told you how beautiful you looked today and how lucky I am to be married to you?" He said playfully.

Yerim giggled, "Not enough."

He smiled before stepping closer, cupping her face tenderly before leaning in.

"Well, you look very beautiful today and I'm so lucky I can marry you. I love you."
The whole room erupted in cheers and applause. Sicheng and the gang were busy recording this moment, wolf-whistling loudly. Jeno and Sungchan clapped along, enjoying being carried by their many uncles who celebrated the marriage of their parents.
The happy couple were smiling widely as they parted, cheeks and ears painted in blushes.

Jaehyun wordlessly offered his arm, and Yerim linked her arms with him as they walked in front of his parents, bowing deeply.

They then walked to the other side, bowing to Yerim's father. Yerim eyed the empty seat next to her father, and she smiled when her father mouthed at her silently,

"Your mother is watching. Don't cry. Smile."
Yerim nodded, smiling at her father as they walked back to the center of the stage.
"Now, may our groom and bride have their first walk as a couple! And we present to you the congratulatory song by their close friend, Mr. Xiao Dejun."
They turned to the piano at the edge of the stage, chuckling when Dejun waved his hand at them before sitting down to sing the celebration song for them.

As Dejun started his song, Jaehyun turned to his wife, smiling from ear to ear.


"Let's go?"

Yerim nodded.
They walked slowly according to the beat of the song, nodding their heads in gratitude to the guests at either side of the runway.
"Sungchan too! Sungchan too!"

"Sungchanie! Wait!"
They turned around in shock when they saw their little Sungchanie leaping down from Jungwoo's hold, toddling towards them with Jeno tailing behind, running for his little brother. Jungwoo had a mortified expression as he watched his nephews run loose from his hold.

The crowd laughed as they recorded the cute moment.

"Sungchan wants to go with appa and eomma, huh?" Jaehyun asked, bending down a bit to lift his youngest son with his free hand.

"Yep!" The baby nodded adorably.

"Jeno? Walk with eomma then?" Yerim turned and offered her free hand to Jeno. The kid smiled, eyes crinkling into slits as he excitedly grabbed his mother's hand.

The four of them walked, ready to start their new life as a family.
"Yerim-ah, you're happy right?" Jaehyun looked down to his wife, squeezing her hand.

Yerim nodded, "Very. How about you?"

Jaehyun smiled before leaning down to steal a kiss from her.

"As happy as I can be."
A/N
Hi!!! Nice to see everyone again and I'm back with the last chapter of this series.... They're finally married! It took them a whole journey of friendship, separation, reunion, and finally this!

And yes, Yerim will start mending her relationship with her father, and hopefully they'll get closer as days go by. (((and yes, in this universe that i created, they got closer again and the kids now have a halmae, a halbae and a harabeoji to fuss over and spoil them!)))

i have planned an epilogue to close off the this story on a good note, so look out for it! (ps. probably next week lol)

thank you so much for everyone who has stuck with me through the roller coaster ride of these 39 chapters, and i hope everyone enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed writing it. stay safe, happy, and healthy, everyone!
Love, btfg <3