o37 || wedding planning

the pursuit of happiness
 
37
 
wedding planning
Eomeonim!”

"Yerim, my dear!”

Yerim smiled as she hugged her future mother-in-law.

“Ah, I’m excited! Finally, we’re free from the boys!” Mrs. Jung giggled.

Yerim chuckled as they entered the car which Driver Han was driving.
“Did you have a wedding gown design in mind?” Jaehyun’s mother asked.

Yerim nodded shyly before taking out her phone.

“My… my late mother, she wore this on her wedding day. The style is out of date now, so it’s hard to find a place that can create this design. But then I found a wedding dress designer on the internet, called the boutique, and met the designer herself, so we managed to make something similar but a bit more modernized. I hope you like it, eomeonim.”

Jaehyun’s mother smiled as she held one of Yerim’s hands, “Your mother was so pretty back then. Don’t worry, my dear, you will look pretty in anything. It’s your wedding, you’re free to wear whatever you want.”
Once the car stopped in front of the wedding boutique, Yerim felt a bit nervous. The designer had emailed her the picture of the rough model, but she hasn’t seen the finished product herself. The thought of putting on a wedding gown for the first time in her life made her feel both giddy and worried. Will she look good?
“Welcome!”

Yerim held Jaehyun’s mother’s hand as she entered the shop, and they were immediately escorted into a more secluded portion of the store.

“Miss Kim, we’ve finished your gown. Would you like us to bring it out first or would you like to try it immediately?” The store assistant asked.
“Go. Wear it. Surprise me,” Jaehyun’s mother grinned.

Yerim accepted her request and followed the assistant to the changing room. Her heart nearly stopped when she saw the white dress that was hung in front of her. The dress had a boat neck made from a see-through lace material that extends into long sleeves. The body had a cinched waist that could accentuate her figure nicely and the skirts were made of a comfortable layered material that looked really, really beautiful.

Yerim was excited as the assistant helped her change into the dress, and it fits her really well, actually.

She waited nervously as the assistant slid the curtain open. Yerim turned around and shyly smiled at Jaehyun’s mother.
“Yerim! Dear!”

The woman stepped forward, sighing softly. Her future daughter-in-law looked so beautiful!
“Yerim… Jaehyun would be bawling his eyes out when he saw you. You’re very beautiful, darling.”

“The veil is still unfinished, but this is the design,” The designer said, showing Mrs. Jung her iPad.

Mrs. Jung blinked her eyes for a few seconds.

“Wait, the design…”

“You showed me a while ago, your wedding pictures with abeonim. Since I used my late mother’s old wedding gown design, I was thinking of using your veil design. I mean, you’ve been like my own mother figure right now, so I…”

“Oh, honey! I’m so honored! Oh my god, I’m so happy!” Mrs. Jung beamed, pulling Yerim for a hug.
“But it’s… it’s fine, right? This dress… and the veil?” she asked insecurely.
 
Mrs. Jung smiled as she turned Yerim around so they both faced the large mirror.

“If your mother saw you now, she’ll be crying. Up there in heaven, she’s very happy that her daughter is going to look super pretty on her wedding day. I’m happy that I got to accompany you today, sweetheart.”

Yerim nearly cried at her kind words. She glanced at her own reflection.

The girl who used to not believe in love and marriage will be getting married soon.

“I’m happy too, eomeonim.”


 


 


“Come on, I’ll drive you,” Mr. Jung grinned at his son.

“Huh? Appa! Why don’t I just drive you instead? Or maybe bring our driver?” Jaehyun asked.

“Nah. This is the kind of thing that I wanted to do for my son while I’m still healthy and capable. Back then, your late grandfather also drove me to buy the tux for my own wedding. It was such an experience I couldn’t forget. Now, come.”

Jaehyun sighed and followed his insistent father to his father’s car, tailed by his younger brother.
“Do you have a shop in mind?” Mr. Jung asked as he started the engine.

“Actually, no. That’s why I brought you today,” Jaehyun chuckled sheepishly.

“What about the shop that you used to go to, appa?” Jungwoo piped in from the back seat.

“Oh? I thought you youngsters have your own go-to places for tuxes,” Mr. Jung shrugged.

“Nah, today I’m going to trust this to a veteran,” Jaehyun grinned playfully.
“Well, there is a shop that I regularly went to. It’s a bit old-school, though…”

“It’s fine, appa,” Jaehyun assured his father.
The Jung patriarch drove them to a shop all the way in Apgujeong. It was a unique place. Situated between two trendy brands, was one quaint shop.

“The price will be a little on the higher-end spectrum, since everything is tailored to your proportion instead of having set sizes. I think I made the right decision bringing you here,” Mr. Jung smiled as he parked the car.

The three Jungs went in, and were immediately greeted by the shop attendant.
“Mr. Jung! It’s nice to see you again! Are these your sons?”

“Yeah. Sons, this is Sangyub, and he’s the one who usually does my fitting. Sangyub-ah, my oldest son here is getting married soon, and he’s looking for the right tux,” Mr. Jung said proudly.

Jaehyun bowed to the shorter man politely as he excitedly brought them to a corner of the shop, filled with more formal suits.

“Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! We have a few selections here, sir. Are you going with a traditional black suit or…?”

“Ah, my fiancée and I are keeping it pretty traditional,” Jaehyun answered.

“You have a tall and lean body, so you will actually look good in anything. Would you like to try some of these first? If you find one that you like, I’ll get your measurements in.”

“Oh, sure, sure!”
“That one looks nice,” Mr. Jung pointed to one suit.

“Oh, hyung, try that one!” Jungwoo said excitedly.

Jaehyun chuckled, nodding along.
Overall, Jaehyun had tried multiple suits, even the outrageously colored one that Jungwoo forced on him. But he knew, he already had one in mind that he’d like to wear to his wedding.
“So, which one would you like, sir?” the shop attendant asked.

“I think this one fits me the best,” Jaehyun smiled, pointing at the one that his father first recommended.

“Oh! You picked that one! See, Woo, I know your brother’s taste!” Mr. Jung turned to his younger son with a prideful expression.

“Ah, hyung! That one is much better! Darn it, I lost the bet against this old man because of my unpredictable brother…” Jungwoo whined.

“The two of you made a bet on me?! Jesus Christ, I can’t believe my own family,” Jaehyun groaned.
The shop attendant laughed before ushering him to the corner to take his measurement. Once he’s fitted for his size, he approached his father who was still looking around.


“Oh, done with the fitting?”

“Mmm hmm.”

“Why did you pick my choice? I thought you’d go with a more modern one like what your brother picked,” Mr. Jung chuckled.

Jaehyun grinned, looping his arm around his father’s, “That one looked like the one you wore on your wedding day. You know, appa, every son wishes to be just like their dad when they grew up. And so am I.”

Mr. Jung looked up at his son with a proud expression, patting his back lightly.

Aigoo, since when did my aloof eldest become this sweet, huh? Thank you for doing that, son. I really appreciated it.”

Jaehyun grinned, hugging his father briefly before walking to the counter to pay for the down payment.

“What makes this tuxedo more special than your usual tuxedo?” Jungwoo muttered as he followed his brother and father out of the shop after Jaehyun finished his transaction.

“The experience. You’ll understand it later,” Jaehyun smiled at his brother, patting his back kindly, as he glanced back at his father.


 


 


Yerim fiddled on her seat, and looked up in surprise to see Jaehyun taking hold of her hands.

“I’m the one who’s supposed to be nervous, not you,” Jaehyun chuckled.

Yerim sighed, “I don’t know… Going here always makes me nervous. My anxiety multiplied since I’m bringing you and the kids here.”

“Do you want to go alone first? I mean, so you can have your own moment without the kids interfering. I can join in with the kids later,” Jaehyun asked, squeezing her hands.

“Can I?”

“Of course, love.”

“Alright. I’ll go in first," Yerim smiled as Jaehyun pressed a kiss on her temple before she walked out of the car and entered the area.

She walked slowly, gripping the flower bouquet on her hands tightly. She stopped in front of one tomb, located nearly at the back, under a beautiful ginko tree. The tree that her mother likes the most.
Eomma… It’s me,” Yerim smiled, bowing and gently placing the bouquet on top of the mound of grass.

Eomma? How are you? I haven’t seen you in a couple months. I’m doing really well. My wedding with Jaehyun will be held in a few days. We’re really happy, eomma.”
Yerim smiled sadly before taking a seat next to the grave.

“I copied your wedding dress for my own big day. I hope you’re okay with that. I think, if you’re here, you will like it. Jaehyun and the kids are actually coming here today. This will be their first time meeting you. I think you’ll like them. I’m sorry that I’ve only brought them to you now. I was just… scared. I always thought Jaehyun and I are not going to last. I mean, appa always said that I bring bad luck. But Jaehyun’s still here, eomma. I’ve brought him to harabeoji’s grave, at least. I think harabeoji approves. I hope you approve of him too. He makes me so happy, eomma. I love him so much. And I really love his kids too. Gosh, they’re wonderful. I… I’m really going to be an eomma too. Can you believe it, eomma? Your daughter, is going to be a mother. I don’t know if I’ll be as good as you as you as a mother, but I hope I’ll do well. I’m going to ask them to come here so you could see them, okay?”
Yerim took out her phone, sending a text to Jaehyun to tell him that it’s okay for him and the kids to come now. Not long after that, she could hear footsteps and she waved them over. Jeno was the first one to run, going straight for her embrace.

Eomma! Appa said we’re meeting your eomma! Is it true? Is this heaven? She’s in heaven, right?” Jeno asked innocently.

Yerim chuckled as she patted his head.

“This is not the heaven, Nono-ya. This is where my mother was buried, Jeno. Her body is here, but she’s actually in heaven right now, watching you from up there,” Yerim pointed to the sky.

“Really?”
“Yes. Now come here! Why are you running away? We have to pay respect first, okay?” Jaehyun came, panting as he carried Sungchan on his hip.

Yerim chuckled, taking Sungchan from him.

“Come on, Jeno. Follow me, okay?” Jaehyun said.

He knelt on the ground before bowing at the grave, and Jeno clumsily copied his father’s act.
“Hello, jangmonim. I am Jaehyun, uh, the one who’s going to marry your daughter. And these are my sons, Jeno and Sungchan. Jeno, come here, say hello to your halmeoni!”

Halmeoni! Hello! I’m Jeno! Appa said I’m six but I’m going to be seven soon!”

Yerim chuckled, letting Sungchan go from her hold since the baby wanted to be next to his older brother.

Halmeoni, this is Sungchanie, my brother,” Jeno said proudly.
Jaehyun chuckled, pulling out the soju and food offerings that he and Yerim had brought, pouring soju into a paper cup, putting it on top of the grave along with some of the food.

“Is this for halmeoni?” Jeno asked curiously.

“Yes. This is for halmeoni,” Yerim smiled.

“What do we do next?” Jeno asked.

“We pray for halmeoni, so she’s always happy and safe up there,” Jaehyun explained, bringing Sungchan to his lap before the toddler starts to pull out the grass from the grave.

“Pray?”

“Mm hmm. Like we do every night, like this,” Jaehyun closed his eyes and locked his hands.

“Okay!”
Yerim closed her eyes and brought her hand together, and Jeno followed immediately.

"Eomma, I am really happy. Please look after me and my family. I love you and I will always miss you.


 


 


Yerim smiled as she looked out of her café window. Yangcheon is not that lively of a district, at least not compared to the constantly bustling Seocho, Gangnam, or Dongdaemun. But at night, it’s still pretty. The lights of the store-front outside the café were blinking prettily, and people were passing by constantly, creating a twinkling blurry picture.

She looked down, where Snowy and Russo are sleeping, curled against her legs, while Cookie and Tabby roamed around the café, greeting other visitors.

She then turned to her right, smiling at Sungchan who’s starting to nod off at his high chair. Chuckling to herself, she unbuckled the straps and picked the toddler up, settling him on her front.


“Mm-mma?” the baby mumbled.

“Mmm hmm, it’s eomma. Sleep,” Yerim smiled, patting his back. Sungchan mumbled something unintelligible before snuggling against her neck, falling asleep almost immediately.

Yerim chuckled, using one hand to pat his back, as her other hand took out her phone.

She casts a glance at the window again, watching the sparkling lights that blinked at her, before typing something on her phone.

Eomma! What are you writing?”

She looked down and smiled when she noticed Jeno tugging on her sleeves.

“Just something. Where’s your appa? Why are you alone?”

Appa’s paying at the cashier. He’s taking too long. Sungchanie’s sleeping?” Jeno asked again, climbing the seat next to his mother.

Yerim nodded, smiling when she noticed Cookie and Tabby approaching the table, probably wanting to get petted by Jeno.

Jeno reached down, patting the two dogs’ heads, before turning to face his mother again.

“What are you writing?” he asked again, glancing at her phone.

“Just random things.”

“Can I see?”

Yerim shrugged, handing the phone to him. Jeno furrowed his brows as he read the text shown on the screen. He could read already, but sometimes, difficult vocabularies threw him off a little.

“I don’t understand,” he pouted.

Yerim chuckled, patting his head, “That’s because you’re still little. When you’re already a bit older, you’ll understand it. Come, let’s just go to your appa, and then we’ll go home. Aren’t you tired? We spent quite some time meeting with halmeoni at the cemetery today. We also played a lot at the café.”

Jeno nodded, jumping off the chair and taking Yerim’s free hand.
When they later reached home, Sungchan was still very much asleep, completely dead to the world. He didn’t budge at all, even when Yerim changed his clothes and tucked him in.

Eomma.”

“Yes?” Yerim glanced at Jeno’s reflection in the mirror, the boy looking at her from the bed as Jaehyun helped him into his pajamas.

“Do you really like sparkly things?” he asked.

Yerim chuckled as she patted down her night toner, “Why do you ask that?”

Jeno shrugged, “You wrote that you want to be sparkly.”

Jaehyun looked at her weirdly and she nodded her head.

“Kind of.”

“Why?”

“Don’t they make you happy? Sparkly things?”

“Like fireworks?” Jaehyun raised a brow as he tucked Jeno in.

“Mmm hmm. And lights too,” Yerim grinned as she walked to the bed, settling herself next to Jeno who’s already snuggled at the cover.

“So, if it’s dark, you’re not happy?” Jeno asked.

Yerim smiled, brushing his hair softly, “Back then, being in the dark makes me sad and lonely. But now since I have you, Sungchanie, and appa, I don’t hate the dark anymore.”

“But I’m not sparkly!” Jeno frowned.

Yerim giggled, pressing a kiss on his forehead, “You always sparkle, Jeno. Now, now, let’s go to sleep, shall we?”
Once both kids are asleep, Jaehyun turns curiously, seeing Yerim still wide awake, patting Jeno’s back as the kid snuggles against her chest.

“What was Jeno talking about earlier? Sparkly things?” he whispered curiously.

Yerim smiled, “I was writing some random thoughts on my memo app while you were paying at the cashier. Jeno got curious. I let him read it, but he didn’t understand what I was writing about.”

“A poem?”

“No. Just my thoughts. You wanna see?”

“Can I?”

“Of course. Just look at my phone.”
Jaehyun pulled himself up a bit to fetch Yerim’s phone from the nightstand, and opened the memo app. He opened the most recent document, reading it silently.
09.02 p.m – memo

Actually, I just wanted to have a happy family.

Maybe my low self-esteem was what caused it all?

That can’t be denied.

Still, I think the world is too harsh for everything to be my fault.

Tears keep flowing.

When I run down the road, I want to throw my body at those sparkling things.

So that I can return to one body with them.
His heart clenched a bit as he read through it, and he glanced at his fiancée. She was smiling at him.
“Yerim…”


“It was just a random thought. But like I said to Jeno, the three of you are my sparkles. I wished to have a happy family, now I have it, don’t I? It’s all good now, Jae. That note was unfinished.”

“What would you finish it with then?”
Yerim smiled again, reciting softly.
“But then I realized, I have my own sparkles next to me. And together, they make me sparkle too.”
A/N
Hi!! I'm back! The wedding preparation is: ON. And they're going to be married really really soon so.. yay!!

I don't know if you noticed it but Yerim has transitioned from calling Jaehyun's parents imo and samcheon to eomeonim and abeonim. Jaehyun too, called Yerim's mother as jangmonim (a formal way of calling mother in law from wife's side). They're really one step closer to being married and i'm super happy because this story is also going to end soon to!

And the memo that Yerim wrote was actually some of her own words that I modified. You can check it out here
Thank you for those who still reads my story. Also thank you for leaving a comment/subscribing/upvoting. Have a good day, stay safe, happy, and healthy!
Love, btfg <3