o14 || courting

the pursuit of happiness
 
14
 
courting
"What? You don't have to, Rim."

"But it's okay, Jaehyun. Jeno would love it too."

Jaehyun sighed at Yerim's stubbornness. They were going to Jaehyun's parents' house to drop the kids there but Yerim said the kids can spend the time in her office. She had a shift in the clinic and Jeno could join her. She also said Sungchan could sleep in her office. It was actually a great arrangement since it was closer to her cafe than to his parents' house from the office, but Jaehyun didn't want to burden the kind girl.

"Appa, please? I want to see the dogs again," Jeno gripped his father's sleeve as he begged.

"You'll give Yerim imo a headache by handling you and your brother, Jen," Jaehyun sighed as he refused to look at his son's puppy eyes.

"I promised I will be good and I will help Yerim imo! Please, appa?"

"It's okay, Jaehyun. Jeno will be imo’s assistant today, right?" Yerim said to Jeno who nodded enthusiastically.

Jaehyun groaned, "Argh, fine. But if I heard you giving Yerim imo a hard time, I won't let you come to the clinic again next week, okay?" Jaehyun lifted his pinky and Jeno linked their pinkies together.

"I promise, appa!"
Jaehyun sighed as he drove them to Yerim's workplace.
"We'll be fine, Jaehyun. The boys can nap in my office."

Jaehyun nodded since he knew this was a battle he cannot win. His son loved the dogs and his imo so much.

"Alright, be good kids," he kissed Sungchan's forehead who was already asleep in Yerim's arms and bent down to kiss Jeno.

He waved his hands before getting into his car and leaving.

"Alright, Jeno. You heard your father, you needed to take a nap first with your brother."

"Do I have to, imo?"

"Of course, honey. You remember Lucas samchon? He's very tall because when he was a kid, he always took his naps. Come on," Yerim held his hand as she led him to her office. She had an air mattress she kept for whenever she had to stay the night after a surgery and she's too sleepy to go home. Good thing she kept that mattress, who knows that it could come in handy at times like this.

"Go sit down first," she laid down Sungchan on the couch and beckoned Jeno to take a seat as she went to look for the mattress and the pump.

She the automatic pump and watched the mattress inflated. She took a pillow from the couch and laid it on the air bed. She then fetched two spare blankets from her drawer.

"Come lay down here, Jeno. Imo will read you a story," Yerim sat on the edge of the mattress and Jeno went down to lay down next to her.

She brushed his hair softly using her fingers and began her story telling. It was a made-up fable she created on the spot. It took her twenty minutes of random story plots and a lot of head scratching for Jeno to finally fall asleep.

She kissed his forehead before checking on Sungchan who's still deeply asleep on the couch. She put the throw pillows around him to prevent him from falling down before she went to her desk to finish doing her taxes before her shift in the clinic starts.
Two hours passed as she focused on her work when she heard shuffling noises. She peered over from her desk and saw Jeno sitting up looking dazed.

"Already awake?" She asked gently. Jeno turned to see her and blinked sleepily. Yerim closed her laptop and approached him. She brushed away his bangs and gave him a hug.

"I had a nice nap," Jeno mumbled and Yerim laughed as she brushed his unkempt hair.

"Are you ready to be imo's little doctor friend today?"

He grinned immediately, nodding with a still sleepy expression.

"Alright. But first, we have to change clothes first because we're going to get animal fur all over us. Let's wash your face and get you changed, come on."

Yerim took her spare scrubs and put them over Jeno's clothes, rolling the sleeves since it's too big for him. He didn't even need the pants since the top reached his knees already.

"Can you wash your face by yourself? Imo has to get changed too."

Jeno nodded as he went to the sink. Yerim went into the bathroom stall and changed into her own scrubs. She went out later to see Jeno already standing outside excitedly.

"So, doctor Jung Jeno. You are Dr. Jung Jeno today. Ready to meet your patients?"

Jeno nodded as he followed Yerim outside.
"Oh, Dr. Kim. Who is this?" Minhyuk the nurse asked curiously.

"This is my apprentice for today, Dr. Jung Jeno!"

Jeno bowed to the older guy and the guy smiled.

"Oh, Minhyuk. Is there anyone free today? From the shelter maybe?"

"I think Daning is free. Why?"

"Ah, Jeno's baby brother is asleep in my room. I need someone to watch over him while I work here," Yerim said.

"Alright, I'll tell Daning to go to your office, Ma'am."

Minhyuk left and Yerim led Jeno to her examination room.
"So, Jeno, this is where I usually work. The patient will come through that door and we'll put the animal on this table and I will check if the animal is alright. So, our first patient will come soon. Are you ready Dr. Jung?"

"Yes!"



 
Jaehyun parked his car and went inside the clinic. There were no customers inside and the receptionist was dozing off on the front desk. Yerim did tell him to just come inside so he did.

"Uhm… excuse me? Where is Dr. Kim's room?"

The man, Minhyuk, jolted immediately.

"Oh, that way!"

Jaehyun thanked him and apologized for waking him up before going to a door that had Yerim's name on it. He knocked twice before opening the door and he found everyone inside.

Sungchan is crawling on top of Yerim's desk, and the owner of the desk and his son are nibbling on some cookies.

"Appa!" Jeno waved his hand and Jaehyun blinked when he saw what his son was wearing.

"Why are you wearing Yerim imo's clothes?" He asked as he came to give Jeno's head a kiss.

He approached the table and picked Sungchan up.

"He'd get fur all over his clothes so I lent him one of my scrubs. I have tons of them anyways," Yerim said lightly.

"Anyways, want some cookies?" She blinked innocently as she offered her cookies to Jaehyun.

Jaehyun took one and bit off a small piece. It does taste good.
"They're not troubling you today, right?" He asked as he sat down next to her.

"No, Jeno helped me a lot today. Right, Jen?"

"It was so much fun, appa! Someone came with a snake and imo helped the snake! It was so cool!" Jeno exclaimed and Jaehyun looked over to Yerim in shock.

"Snake?!"

"I'm a vet, Jae. I deal with all kinds of animals. Your sons are safe from the snake, don't worry," she smiled reassuringly.

"Anyways, thank you so much for taking care of them today."

"It's nothing. You better go home now, you still have to fix their dinner, right? Sungchan needs his porridge," Yerim said.

She stood up and helped Jeno took off the scrubs before putting it in a basket."Do you want to come? I can drop you off at home later."

"You don't have to. I still have to settle down some matters first. I'll whip up something in the cafe later."

"Do you have a food processor in the cafe kitchen?" Jaehyun asked suddenly.

Yerim blinked confusedly.

"That's very random, but yeah, of course we have one in our kitchen. Why?"

"Great. I'll just have dinner here with the kids. I'm gonna pay this time so you don't have to treat us again this time!" Jaehyun winked as he stood up.

"Are you going to make Sungchan's baby food here?!"

"If you don't mind," he shrugged.

"Well, I certainly don't mind, but I'm just confused," she said softly.

Jaehyun laughed, "I just want to spend more time with you. Shall we go to the cafe now then?"

Yerim walked slowly as she tried to calm her beating heart. Did he seriously just say that?



 

 

The dinner ended well. They argued a bit during the bill settlement since Yerim refused Jaehyun to pay for Sungchan's baby food but Jaehyun insisted he had to pay since he used the cafe ingredients. But his food wasn't even on the menu so Yerim said Jaehyun didn't have to pay. In the end Jaehyun paid for two portions of his food.

Jaehyun stared at Jeno who was still sitting on the floor, Snowy and Cookie on either side of him, as he baby-talked the two dogs. Yerim sat cross-legged across the boy and she had Sungchan on her lap, letting the baby play with Russo the corgi who was snuggling against her thigh.

He never knew what Yerim had in her that made everyone like her. Even his kids treat her like they've known each other for years. Especially Jeno. The kid always asks him when he is going to meet his Yerim imo again whenever they went home after they visited her.

Lately, he has been thinking a lot. He had seen her again for a few weeks already and his kids are already well-acquainted with her. His parents had been dying for him to bring her home and officially introduce her as his girlfriend.

He had been thinking about it. If he's really going to start a relationship, he wants someone that his family approved. Yerim already earned the approval stamp a long time ago. But they were such good friends in the past, and now that they meet again, she is still the same Yerim, his best friend from high school. He wanted to start a formal relationship with her but he's scared that if it failed, she would disappear again like she did ten years ago. He didn't want to lose a precious friend like her.

He stared at her as she stood up and helped Jeno dusted off his pants. He saw how comfortable Jeno is around her. Even Sungchan already clung to her like he would to him.

"It's getting late. Sungchan is very much asleep now," Yerim said, breaking Jaehyun's train of thought. He gently pried Sungchan off from Yerim's arms, and the baby settled himself comfortably in Jaehyun's embrace, still asleep.

"Yeah, we probably should head home now," Jaehyun mused distractedly as he watched Yerim brushing Sungchan's hair softly before bending down to give Jeno a tight hug.
Maybe he should give it a chance. If anything, he wanted a relationship with someone who would love and care for his kids as much as he does. And Yerim is probably the only person who can do that. He's going to try for it. Slowly.

Yerim smiled as she walked the family of three to their car.

"Thank you for helping me today, Jeno. Imo had so much fun working with you," Yerim gave him one last hug as she buckled him up on the car seat while Jaehyun tried to do the same thing to Sungchan without waking him up.

Yerim closed the door gently before walking back. Jaehyun closed the car door on Sungchan's side before jogging towards Yerim.
"Yerim."

"Yeah?"

"Can I tell you something before I go home?"

"Yeah, sure, why?" Yerim tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she stepped closer to Jaehyun.

"We've reconnected again for the past few weeks after 10 years of zero contact, right? I think you and I both understand the reason our parents forced us to meet again. That is for us to start…. A relationship. I found it hard on my part since I already have two adopted sons with me, and I'm generally bad at relationships. But you've been very accepting to me and my kids and I'm really thankful for that. And… God, I'm rambling now," Jaehyun sighed as he teared his hair in frustration.

Yerim bit her lips, already knowing where this conversation leads to. Jaehyun must've felt pressured at her attempts on getting closer to him and his kids. Yes, she's been under constant pressure to get married by her family, but that wasn't the main intention of getting closer with Jaehyun, Jeno and Sungchan. She genuinely liked them and adored them.

"I'm sorry… Am I being too much these past few weeks?" She winced.

"What? No, no! It’s totally the opposite! What I've been meaning to say is… I'd like to give us a try, Rim. As in for us to start a relationship together. I can't deny that I am very much attracted to you. If you allow me to, I'd love to start courting you for real. I want to take small steps. You weren't being too much. Instead, I was the one who didn't want to burden you and make you feel like you have to instantly be a mother to my two kids, no. I want us to get closer naturally. Is that okay with you?"

Yerim blushed madly, not knowing how to respond to Jaehyun's words. It's amazing how he could deliver such a speech in a very polite but romantic way. It's truly a Jung Jaehyun thing to do.

"I… I'd love that," she said softly.

Jaehyun beamed and sighed in relief.

"That's good to hear. Thank you for taking care of my babies today. And… I'll see you pretty soon?"

Yerim nodded with a smile on her face, "I'll see you soon."
A/N
Guess who just finished her exam...?? Me! It went.... well-ish. Lol.
anyways... Jaehyun's finally gathered enough balls to tell Yerim that he's indeed attracted to her! So, yeah, he's going to properly court her now. Hope everything goes well, hmm???? ;););)
p.s. NCT dream is coming back soon, so please support our baby Jeno and his bandmates! (((and hoping for a JenoxSungchan interaction when they perform in Inkigayo). FYI my dream bias is Chenle! (((although i'm very close to changing my bias to Daegal because that white fluffy cotton ball is a source of happiness for everyone)))
p.s.s. I'm going to start interning in the Pulmonology department tomorrow. Wish me luck! The Covid-19 cases in the hospital where I'm interning at is surging at an alarming rate, to the point where we have to convert several wards and care units for Covid patients. There had been a stagnancy in the Covid ER as well, so it's getting very worrisome. Especially since there's a new virus variant as well, we're just not safe ((well, not that we were safe in the first place already lol))).
Everyone, please take care of yourself! Wear your mask!!!! Get vaccinated if it's readily available for you. Keep your distance from people. Wash your hands often! Eat healthily, get plenty of rest, and stay hydrated! Stay safe everyone!
Thank you for reading, commenting, subscribing, and upvoting. I hope everyone is always happy and healthy, and may you and all of your loved ones be safe from this nasty pandemic.
Love, btfg <3