o24 || baby steps

the pursuit of happiness
 
24
 
baby steps
"Why are you so persistent on going to work?" Jaehyun grunted.

"I'm bored! The only time I left the house was when I picked Jeno from school. I missed my dogs and my employees and the café," she pouted.

"Fine, fine, I'll drive you there. But go home earlier. I'll pick you up. And don't strain your arm too much or else Dejun will give me an earful about it," Jaehyun sighed in defeat.

"Yay! You're the best! Jeno-ya, let's go! Woo, imo, samchon, we'll get going!" Yerim waved her hand excitedly as she grabbed her bag.

"Look at them, ma. Aren't they cute? Imagine the kind of lovers’ quarrel they will have once they're married!" Jungwoo gushes.

"I'll die from diabetes then. Even your mother and I weren't that sweet with each other," Mr. Jung nodded.

"I hope they will get married quickly," Mrs. Jung swooned.


 



 

"I know, I know, Jaehyun, you've made me repeat it a thousand times already. Yes, I won't strain my hand, I'll just…. Man up the cash register or something. I promise!" Yerim grunted as she stared at her sulking boyfriend.


"I'll pick you up at 6," he said.

"What?! Too early! 8!"

"6.30."

"7."

"Okay, seven. No more negotiation or I'll carry you over my shoulder out of the café if I have to later," he joked.

"Gee, how romantic. Me looking like a sack of potatoes," Yerim glowered dryly.

Jaehyun chuckled as she unbuckled her seatbelt and stepped out of the car.

"No goodbye kiss?" Jaehyun yelled as she walked to the café entrance.

She rolled her eyes in annoyance yet she went back to plant a peck on his cheek.

Jaehyun frowned and he pulled her forward through the car window to give her a full smooch on the lips.

"Now, that's more like it. Have a good, boring, safe, unstrained work!"

Yerim rolled her eyes at him but she couldn't help a grin to escape as she walked to the café.

It's still closed, and the workers are probably still preparing to open the shop. She was away for a week and she can't wait to be back. She needs to take a leave from her vet job and the shelter since she can't work around animals with just one fully functioning arm, so she figured she would have to stick with the café until the cast went off.

She opened the door and listened to the familiar bell chimed. She frowned when she noticed the café being empty. It's going to open in an hour! Where are her employees? She was missing for a couple weeks and they’re slacking already?
She walked to the counter when she suddenly was attacked with the sight of her employees jumping from behind it.

"Welcome back boss!"

She laughed as she took in the scenery. Everyone, from the café, the clinic and the shelter, are here. Someone's holding a cake and there's some of them putting up a 'Welcome Back!' banner.
"Guys…"

"We missed you a lot, Dr. Kim!" Minhyuk, the trusted clinic receptionist, grinned.

"We're sorry to hear about your accident but we're glad you are back now!" Daning grinned.

"My arm's in a cast and I probably won't be able to work in the clinic or the shelter for the time being but I'm just glad I'm back. Now… shall we go to work?"

Everyone groaned, "Can't we celebrate a little, ma’am?"

 

 



 

Yerim sat on the couch with Sungchan trying to climb it. Jaehyun and Jeno are on the piano, playing twinkle twinkle little stars so many times that when they sang Yerim was able to harmonize to it. Nearly a month had passed and Jaehyun was persistent on making her move together with him.

Of course, she refused. Yes, she liked being with him, but she felt the need to draw a little line. They agreed on taking the relationship slow, and Yerim didn’t want to rush. As much as she wanted to speed things up (which she believed Jaehyun did too), there are children in the equation. Yerim fully realized that Jeno and Sungchan are entangled in the relationship she’s currently building with Jaehyun, so Yerim had to take them into account too. She has been moving quite rapidly with Jaehyun in terms of their relationship, and despite being awfully young, the kids are smart enough to catch things up. It clearly shows; with how Jeno wanted her to be his mom, and how Sungchan started calling her Mama now. Yerim felt like she’s still not worthy enough to be somewhere further than where she currently stands, so she wanted some more time. Thankfully, Jaehyun caved in and they agreed that Yerim would only come over and stay during the weekends. Like now.

It's boring since she wanted to go out but it's getting colder since winter is coming, and it's a hassle to bundle up two kids to leave the house. Jaehyun already had enough troubles doing that every morning when preparing the boys for kindergarten, so Yerim didn't want to burden him into doing that at night.

Yerim moved to sit on the floor and use her healthy arm to help Sungchan up. He's getting better at standing up on his own but he still needs to work on his balance. Yerim would love to help him learn to walk but with her left arm still in a cast, it's quite difficult.

"Jaehyun, I'm bored," she said out loud.

"Oh, she's bored, Jen. How about we sing twinkle twinkle again until she explodes?" Jaehyun grinned.

Yerim groaned and looked at Sungchan who was babbling happily.

"I just wish I can go out—"
Her talk was cut off when Jaehyun's phone rang out loud.

"Hel—"

"Jaehyun! Jaehyun, oh my god, gosh!"

"Sicheng, calm down, what's wrong?"
Yerim straightened her posture as she looked up at Jaehyun curiously.

"Yiyang is in labor right now! Our parents are both out of the city so it'll take time for them to arrive. The Wongs are still in Hong Kong, Dejun is in surgery. Mark and your brother are already on the way. I know you have kids but can you just—"

"Hey, hey, relax. It'll take some time but I'll be there with Yerim and the kids, okay?"
Jaehyun hung up and turned to Yerim, "Guess we'll be leaving the house then."
It took some time to wrangle the kids up into their jackets and Sungchan absolutely loathes wearing multiple layers. But after forty-five minutes, they finally find themselves in the hospital. Jaehyun was relieved to see Jungwoo and Mark already there.

"Hyung!"

Jaehyun greeted his brother back, "Woo! Where's Sicheng?"

"Inside. Yiyang noona just had another contraction so we stepped out. Sicheng hyung is in panic mode," Mark answered.

"Can you guys take care of the kids for me? Yerim and I will go inside," Jaehyun said.

He gratefully patted Jungwoo's shoulder as his brother took Sungchan from his embrace and Mark happily took Jeno's hand from Yerim.
Jaehyun took Yerim's hand and went inside to see Yiyang sweating and borderline crying, Sicheng on her side caressing her bulging stomach.

"Oh, hey guys. Thank you so much for coming," Sicheng exhaled.

"Yiyang... How are you?" Yerim stepped forward and the said girl smiled weakly.

"The baby's coming soon. My water broke two hours ago. If I failed to reach the tenth opening soon, they might have to do a C-section on me. As long as my baby is safe, I’ll do it; it'll be fine," she answered weakly.

"I wish you all the best. We all can't wait to meet the little Dong. It's a girl, right?" Yerim smiled warmly.

Sicheng nodded, "And by the way, Yerim we're sorry we haven't got that much chance to visit you after you're hospitalized."

"Eyy, it's okay. I'm okay now, and you are busy preparing to welcome your baby girl," Yerim smiled reassuringly.
Just then the Ob-Gyn came with a warm smile.

"Hi again Mr. and Mrs. Dong. I'll go check you up again, Mrs. Dong. If the baby showed no sign of going out, we'll have to proceed with the C-section."

Jaehyun watched in horror as the middle-aged woman looked under Yiyang's gown and shoved her hand into Yiyang's lower region.

"We're still stuck in the same phase even after the oxytocin induction. Mr. Dong, I think we have to go with surgery. Is that okay?"

Sicheng sighed and kissed Yiyang on the forehead, "Okay. As long as both of my girls are safe."
After that, Yerim and Jaehyun found themselves sitting outside the OR, waiting for Yiyang. Their parents had finally arrived and Jaehyun is now currently holding onto a sleeping Sungchan and Yerim is brushing Jeno's hair as the boy slept with his head on her lap.

"I hope everything goes well. Yiyang looked like she was in pain. It amazes me how you managed to keep cool when the doctor was shoving her hand down Yiyang's gown," Jaehyun shuddered.

Yerim chuckled as she caressed Jeno's head, "I'm a vet, Jaehyun. I've probably shoved my hand into dogs and cats a thousand times. And remember the time I was late for dinner at your place? I helped a woman give birth in my apartment lobby."

Jaehyun shivered and shook his head, "I can't imagine you being in Yiyang's position. I probably would be crying."
Yerim was momentarily stunned. Did Jaehyun just imply he wants to have a kid with her?
"It's a given situation. But on the bright side, after the grueling nine months of pregnancy and painful labor, Yiyang will be welcoming a beautiful baby girl. She brought out a life from herself. I think it's amazing. It’s what women are destined to do, and no matter the method, either through natural birth or surgery like what Yiyang had to do, all mothers are equally strong and admirable."

She felt Jaehyun taking her hand and bringing it to his lips.

"You'll be a very amazing mother in the future, Rim. And… I know it sounds crazy, but I want to stay with you for a long, long time. Have a family with you."

Yerim grinned, "I'll be crazier and say that I'd like that too, then. We have Jeno and Sungchan. I don't want to have a baby anytime soon. It's adorable enough to know that Sungchan called me his mother now."

Jaehyun smiled as Yerim patted Sungchan's cheek lovingly.

"I can't wait to marry you, you know. But we're taking it one step at a time so I'll be patient and look forward continuously for our future then," Jaehyun mused as he leaned forward to kiss Yerim's temple.
Just then the operation room opened to show a very tired looking Sicheng. Well, to be fair the surgery took nearly three hours.
"How is it?" Jaehyun asked, standing up carefully so as not to wake Sungchan up.

"She's adorable. 3 kilograms of cuteness," Sicheng croaked, the tears still clinging onto his lashes as his parents and parents in law engulfed him in a hug.

Jaehyun smiled and patted Sicheng's back, "Congrats, welcome to the father club!"

"Ah yes, you're my senior in that field," Sicheng chuckled as he stared at Sungchan who's content sleeping on Jaehyun's arms.

"You should marry Yerim quickly and start your own family soon. Have a daughter to be friends with our Lining," Sicheng jokes.

"The name is Lining?"

"Dong Lining. A beautiful name," Sicheng's mother smiled.

"Want to see her? She's probably already in the nursery," Sicheng said as he wiped his tears.

As if on cue Jeno woke up from the commotion.
"Oh, you're awake. Want to sleep again?" Yerim smiled and patted Jeno's cheek as the boy sat up.

"Is it morning?"

"No, baby, it's still night. But Sicheng samchon and Yiyang imo's baby is already born. Want to see the little baby before going back to sleep?" She offered.

Jeno nodded. He's sleepy but he's also curious.

Yerim took his hand and approached Jaehyun.

"Oh, Jeno woke up," he commented.

"Uh uh. He wants to see the baby," Yerim explained.

"Alright, let's go with the others then."


The window is pretty tall and Jeno couldn't see anything that the adults were gushing about.

"Let me lift you up," Jungwoo chuckled at his nephew before lifting the boy with ease.

Jeno then easily saw the small baby squirming in Sicheng samchon's arm.

"So small, like Sungchan. Smaller than Sungchanie," Jeno said in awe as he pressed his face onto the glass.

"So many babies inside. Aren't they cute?" Jungwoo said.

Jeno nodded.

"So small, samchon!"

"I know. Look at Sicheng samchon’s daughter. You will be an oppa now. Cute right?"

Jeno giggled when he saw the baby yawning.

"Wouldn't it be fun to have a younger sister and become an oppa, Jen?" Jungwoo asked, ignoring the scandalous look Yerim was giving him.

"I think it will be fun! Sungchanie will also be an oppa then," Jeno smiled.

"Hmm... you should ask your appa and Yerim imo if they can give you a little sibling then," Jungwoo said with a teasing voice.

"Oh, can I?" Jeno's eyes twinkled as he looked back and forth at Jaehyun and Yerim.

"Woo!" Both Jaehyun and Yerim balked, blushing furiously as the others teased them.

"I can't wait for the two of you to get married. I always thought you would get married before our Sicheng, you know," Sicheng's mom commented.

"Ayi!"

“Aish, just get married quickly, you two!”

Shushu!”

"Good, let's all bully Jaehyun hyung and Yerim noona into marriage!" Jungwoo cackled evilly.


 


 


Yerim flipped the egg professionally with one hand, a skill she acquired after fracturing her arm. It's only her and Jeno in the kitchen, the boy munching on some carrot sticks while Yerim fixes their breakfasts.

Last night, or should she say, very early this morning, Sungchan refused to go back to sleep and threw a fit after they returned from the hospital. Jaehyun took an hour to put him back to sleep and as a result, both of them are still knocked out cold in the bedroom.

"Yerim maimo," Jeno spoke up.

Yerim looked down to see Jeno already finished with his carrots. She smiled and took the clean plate from him before dumping it on the sink.

"The food is almost ready."

Jeno beamed before going back to the dining table as Yerim brought the fried rice into the table.

"Looks good," Jeno said happily as he accepted the spoon from Yerim.

The two of them enjoyed their breakfast in silence comfortably. Yerim decided to postpone the dishwashing and chose to stay at the dining table with Jeno.

"Eoimo?"

"Yes," Yerim smiled, though a bit uncomfortable since Jeno kept almost calling her eomma and reverting back to imo.

"Sicheng samchon is an appa now?"

"Yes, honey."

"And Yiyang imo is an eomma?"

"Yep!"

Yerim took in Jeno's facial expression. The boy looked like he's contemplating something.

"What's wrong, Nono-ya?" She asked, calling him by the cute pet-name Jaehyun gave to the boy.

"Samchon and imo happy with the baby?"

"Of course. They’re very happy since they have been waiting so long to meet the baby. Why?"

Yerim watched as Jeno gulped slowly, "I am jealous. My real appa and eomma don't like me so they left me in that scary place."

Uh oh.
"But you have your Jaehyun appa now, right? He loves you a lot. Just like how Sicheng samchon and Yiyang imo love their baby," Yerim explained softly as she caressed Jeno's hair.

"But I don't have an eomma. I am jealous of my friends too."

"Hey, don't say that. Your appa takes good care of you even without an eomma. And you have halmae, halbae, and Woo samchon. And me!" Yerim assured the young boy.

"Can't you be my eomma? Sungchan called you mama. Can I call you eomma too? I like calling you eomma more than imo," Jeno blurted out innocently.
Yerim paled, not knowing how to respond.

"W-why?"

"Because if I ever have an eomma I want my eomma to be like you. You are so pretty and so kind, you make good food too. You tell me great bedtime stories and always give me hugs and kisses. You also protect me. Teacher said that was what eommas did," Jeno answered, blinking his doe eyes innocently.
Yerim remembered Jaehyun's story when he told her his discussion about this with Jeno.

"You like me that much, huh?" Yerim smiled.

Jeno nodded excitedly.

"But you know, Nono-ya, imo is not that perfect you know."

"It's okay, I still like imo," Jeno shrugged.

"So, you want an eomma like me?" She asked once more.

"Yes!"

Yerim gave the boy a one arm hug which he accepted happily.

"Do you want to know something?"

"Hmm?"

"Yerim imo also don't have an eomma," she said with a sad smile.

"Really?"

"Uh uh. She already passed away when I was eight, remember? She died protecting me from a car crash like what happened to us last month."

"Are you sad?"

"Very. I still miss her until now."

"How about your appa?" Jeno peered up curiously.
A bitter smile made its way into Yerim's face.

"I have one. But he doesn't like me like Jaehyun appa likes you. That's why I am jealous because you have a very loving appa. You should be grateful you're surrounded by people who love you a lot," Yerim mused as she caressed his hair.

"But Jaehyun appa loves you too," Jeno answered.

"I know. He's the only person who loves me, I think. I don't have a family," Yerim chuckled dryly.

"That's wrong! I love you too, eo—I mean, imo!" Jeno protested.

"Really? You love me?"

"Uh uh. So much!"

"How much?"

"This much! Bigger than this," Jeno illustrated as he opened his arms wide.
Yerim giggled, feeling her heart warming up. She received more love from a five years old boy she had only known for several months than she ever had from her own father in her entire 28 years of living.

"You kept calling me eomma. Do you really want me to be your eomma that much?" She . Well, to be honest she would love to. She had talked about marriage with Jaehyun before. They agreed on taking things slow but making marriage as their goal.

"Yes! Can you be my eomma? So that in school, I can put you in the picture when we draw our families. Please? Pretty, pretty, please?" Jeno pouted.
Yerim saw herself for a moment in Jeno. How desperate she wanted to be loved and to have a complete family. She didn't have that after that one damned accident that took her mother's life and changed the dynamic in her family.

Maybe she was indeed an unlucky damned child like her father always said. But Jeno isn't one. He's an innocent child with a lot of scars just like her, and he deserved to be loved and to have a complete family.

She bopped Jeno's nose and giggled when the boy squirmed, "Well, you should ask your appa about it first though."
"Ask me what?"
Yerim turned around to see Jaehyun yawning and stretching his back. His hair was sticking out everywhere like a bird’s nest and his eyes were barely opened.
Jeno beamed as he jumped from the chair to give his father a hug.

"Appa! Can you make Yerim imo as my eomma? She said I should ask you first!" He asked innocently.
The two adults balked.
Way to go, Jeno!
A/N
I'm back! Sooo Yerim wanted to take things slow, because she's still unsure about herself. It's kind of expected, given the family situation she grew up with.
Anywaysss, NCT127's comeback is coming really, really, really soon, so please give them so much love! Their track videos were so cute :"))) And damn Jaehyun looks so good!!!!
my bias(es) in NCT127 are the 3 Js (a.k.a Johnny, Jaehyun, Jungwoo) AND BOYYY the three of them looked realllyyy goood! Thank goodness their stylists are doing things right this comeback XD
Overall, I've been well-fed this year with so many great comebacks from SM! And yes, if you're wondering, i'm still ladidadobabadida-ing around the house and in the hospital to the point that one of the nurses in the ward said that she can't erase ladidadobabadida from her brain because i kept humming that part whenever i did my round in that ward XD I can't help it, Queendom is just too catchy! I can't wait to listen to 127's newest comeback song and find another earworm that will annoy my friends and my coworkers LOL
Anyways again, thank you for reading/commenting/subscribing/upvoting! I love you guys <3 Stay safe, stay happy, stay healthy, and stay fun!
Love, btfg <3