o31 || alright

the pursuit of happiness
 
31
 
alright
Jaehyun sat back and relaxed as Sungchan curled on his front, enjoying his nap on his father's chest. Jeno is asleep on Yerim's air mattress and the said woman is busy doing stuffs on her desk. He was about to close his eyes and enjoy a little nap as well when his cellphone rang. He quickly fumbled to take the phone call; afraid the noise would wake the kids up.
"Hello?"

"Jung Jaehyun!"

"Appa…?"

"What did you do today, huh?! There are pictures of you punching the Sungjin Group's son circulating everywhere! Our legal team is having a hard time settling down. I think they're suing us!"

Jaehyun grimaced and laid Sungchan down on the couch. Yerim looked up and shot him a curious look. He waved her off before exiting her office.
"But appa... It was… required!"

"How are you required to punch somebody?! I didn't even know you knew the GM of Sungjin Group!"

"Did Jungwoo tell you?"

"That brother of yours only cursed a lot. He said you could explain everything and he stood by you. And then Yerim's father called me regarding wedding preparation. What's happening? Jaehyun, you should know that your father is getting old so stop giving him surprises! Do you want me to die from heart attack?"
Jaehyun winced.

"I’m sorry, appa. My sons are napping right now. After they wake up, we'll go straight there," he sighed.

"Good. And give Yoobin a call. That secretary of yours is going to have a major headache trying to do damage control!"

Jaehyun groaned when his father ended his call abruptly.

Yerim casted him a curious glance when he went back inside looking dejected.

"What's wrong?"

"My father called. He heard about what I did today. Apparently pictures of me punching that bastard blew over. And your father called my father."

Yerim gaped, slightly panicking.

"It's fine. I can handle my father; I'll tell him the truth. He wanted us home as soon as possible, I told him we'll go there once the kids wake up from their nap."

"What are we gonna do then?"

"You'll be fine, Yerim. My father will probably cut my pay or something but we'll be fine."


 



 

Yerim held Sungchan safely in her arms as she entered the Jungs' property, following Jaehyun who was carrying a sleeping Jeno. They both eventually decide to head there before the kids wake up so they'll settle down the problem quicker.

Jaehyun's mother gave him a look as he went to his room to lay down his kids.

"Everyone's in your father's study. Let's go there," his mother said.

He nodded as he walked slowly, calming down a little when Yerim reached for his hand to give it a gentle squeeze.
"Oh, you're here. Take a seat."

Jaehyun winced at his father's strict tone before sitting down on the couch next to Jungwoo, Yerim following shortly to sit on his other side.

"Please explain what you did today." His father said shortly.

Jaehyun cleared his throat before opening his mouth, "I wasn't planning on attacking that fu—Lee Hyuk. But he suddenly came to me and started...taunting."

"You do know that the event you were attending was a very important meeting between business directors all across South Korea, right? And then after punching that kid you decided to just bolt the scene? Without apologizing?" Mr. Jung raised his brows, clearly not liking his son's terrible manner.
"Appa! If someone had to apologize then that person should be that bastard—"

"Jung Jungwoo! Language!" Mr. Jung snapped.

"Well, hyung! Tell everyone the truth then. What Lee Hyuk did was unacceptable!" Jungwoo stepped in sulkily, not liking how his parents scold his brother.
Jaehyun sighed before straightening his posture.

"That —Lee Hyuk, said… mean things I'd rather not repeat. It went along the lines of his family arranging him for a marriage with Yerim, and then him saying he'll take Yerim from me, and a bunch of degrading remarks directed towards Yerim and me. I mean appa… I can't keep silent!"
His parents sighed.

"I admit what that kid said was unacceptable, but your behavior was uncalled for. You are engaged to Yerim, you shouldn't be shaken by such mean threats," his mother said softly.
"Uhm... imo… actually... I've got something to say about this too," Yerim spoke up timidly, feeling guilty to see Jaehyun being scolded by his parents.
"Uhm, my father actually didn't know that Jaehyun and I were engaged. He thought we were simply friends just like we used to. He had wanted me to get married quickly, that's why he contacted the Lees, to arrange a marriage between me and their son."

"So, it was true? Not just some pointless threat?"

"Yes, samchon," Yerim bowed shamefully.
Mrs. Jung looked at her sympathetically. She knew what kind of father she had and what kind of pressure she's constantly being put in.

"Then why did your father call me asking about marriage details?" Mr. Jung inquired in confusion.

"Eh... I actually paid Yerim's father a visit after the whole scene with that dumb—Lee Hyuk. I told him he didn't have to wed Yerim off to that fuc—dude, and if he wanted a wedding early next year, I could fulfill his wish," Jaehyun admitted sheepishly.
Jungwoo busted out laughing. It's quite funny to see his brother unknowingly professing his love for Yerim noona and expressing his seriousness to marry her.

"Yah! Why are you laughing?!" Jaehyun hit his brother's head playfully.

"Wow, ma. He's finally getting married in his own will! To think that we need to set him up with countless girls when all it took was his own high school sweetheart... wow!"
"Jungwoo…"

Jaehyun glared at his brother when he saw his parents looking at him.

"You know what... maybe we did need to discuss marriage now. So, is it going to be a spring wedding? After the Wong's wedding?"

"Appa!"

 

 


 


Yerim watched as Jaehyun moved nimbly in his kitchen, grabbing two mugs to start making some hot chocolates. The kids are asleep but the two adults can't seem to find sleep after the whole commotion and rollercoaster of events that occur today.

She smiled softly to herself, liking this side of Jaehyun that other people can rarely see. Jaehyun with his hair down, immaculate work suits exchanged with flannel pajamas, and instead of leather shoes he had house slippers on.

"The drinks are done. Wanna head to the couch?" Jaehyun asked, stopping Yerim from her ogling. She quickly nodded, following the man.

Jaehyun plopped down with a sigh and took a few gulps of his beverage, liking the warmth that spread within him.

"Boop."

Jaehyun blinked his eyes in confusion when Yerim poked his cheek.

"Huh?"

"I like your dimples," Yerim mused before giving the indent on his right cheek another poke.

"You have one too, Yerim," Jaehyun grinned as he poked her left cheek.

"Yeah, but you have two. And I like how Sungchan had them too. I think he has two, but the right one is more prominent," Yerim giggled as she gave Jaehyun's dimple one final poke.

"Are my dimples your most favorite thing about me?" Jaehyun asked curiously as he laced his fingers together with her.
Yerim grinned.

"I guess so. But they're a close tie to your hands."

Jaehyun scrunched his brows and lifted one of his hands in confusion.

"My hand?"

Yerim nodded before taking his left hand. She traced the veins littering the back of his hand lightly, smiling as she did so. She rolled the sleeve of his pajamas and caressed his lower arm. His arm and his hand are something that people rarely notice.
"What…?"
Yerim giggled, "I always liked it when you cook. You always rolled your sleeves. Your hands are...charming? They're bigger than mine, they looked strong and having them around me made me feel safe."

Jaehyun smiled before opening his palm and putting hers on top of his, chuckling when he noticed the imminent size difference.

"They're the perfect size to hold yours," he commented before giving her hand a squeeze, and then bringing it to his lips to give the back of her hand a gentle peck.
"What about me? What's your favorite thing about me?" She asked curiously.

"Mm… let me think," Jaehyun bit his lips as he used his free hand to brush away her hair.

"I think your eyes."

"My eyes? Eh? Why? They're pretty boring," Yerim blinked.

"I don't think so. I like how when you see my kids, or animals, or food, your eyes will light up. And when you laughed, they disappeared into lines but they were still twinkling with mirth. You have very pretty eyes. If we have any kid in the future, I hope he or she gets your eyes," Jaehyun smiled.

Yerim smiled teasingly, "So you're thinking of having another child after our marriage?"

"Maybe later after Jeno and Sungchan grew up a bit. And, if you're okay with it. You'll be the one carrying the baby and delivering it too, not me. You have the say," Jaehyun smiled back casually.

Yerim sled an arm across his waist, smiling when she felt his right hand resting above hers almost immediately.

"Of course, I want to. But maybe a daughter? I can't imagine having three sons," she shuddered.

Jaehyun chuckled, "A daughter that looked exactly like you would be perfect."

Yerim leaned her head against his chest and smiled fondly, "It's funny how we can talk about our future like this when back then in high school we were just plain friends. I wonder how our old high school selves would feel if they knew we’d end up this way."

"I like it. Being able to talk about the future casually like this. God, I would kill myself if you had to end up with that tard."

Yerim giggled, "You're the one who put a ring on my finger. Why would I end up with him? Someone who would just parade me like a trophy, or what was it he said?"
"You're a truly amazing woman, Rim. A vet, a baker, a business owner. You're ten times more awesome than me. I'm glad my sons could have you as their mother. You didn’t deserve to end up with that as a mere trophy wife," Jaehyun sighed as he kissed the top of her head.

"I can't wait to marry you."

"Oh, shall we move the date then? A winter wedding sounds lovely as well."

"Yah, Jung Jaehyun!"

Jaehyun laughed, squeezing Yerim’s waist fondly.

“Be it winter, spring, summer, or fall, we’ll always be together. And we’ll be alright, okay?”
A/N
hi! im back with a double update! click next!