Prologue New Start

My Turn

*Sawyer helps her mom move their luggage to her new stepfather’s house.

 

Sawyer’s mom: This is it, our new home!

 

Sawyer: Umma, I don’t know if moving in with them is such a good idea.

 

Sawyer’s mom: Why not, dear? You will love it here!

 

Sawyer: I don’t know-

 

Sawyer’s mom: Just give it a try please, dear?

 

Sawyer: Okay.

 

*Sawyer’s stepdad comes downstairs and greets them. 

 

Sawyer’s stepdad: Are you ready for your new start?

 

Sawyer: I guess. 

 

Sawyer's stepdad: Sawyer, your room is upstairs on the left. I just cleaned it for you so now it’s all yours. 

 

Sawyer: Thanks.

 

*Sawyer goes upstairs and checks out her new bedroom. The room contained a small bed, neatly made, two straight-backed chairs, a washstand, a bureau--without any mirror--and a small table. There were no drapery curtains at the dormer windows, no pictures on the wall. All-day the sun had been pouring down upon the roof, and the little room was like an oven for heat. As there were no screens, the windows had not been raised. A big fly was buzzing angrily at one of them now, up and down, up and down, trying to get out.

 

Sawyer: Great, this trash room is my bedroom. Just great.

 

*Sawyer opens the bedroom window and starts organizing her bedroom. Just then her new stepbrother knocks on the door and walks into her room.

 

Wonjin: Hey nuna, you’re Sawyer Kim, right? I’m Ham Wonjin, your stepbrother.

 

Sawyer: Annyeong. 

 

Wonjin: I know this is sudden for you, but I’m sure everything will be fine when we get closer. 

 

Sawyer: *nods* Okay. It’s nice meeting you.

 

Wonjin: You too! Do you need some help?

 

Sawyer: No, I think I’ll be fine, thanks.

 

*Wonjin nods and walks away

 

Sawyer’s mind: I know I don’t like it here, but I have to. After all, my mom seems really happy. 

 

Later…

 

*Sawyer, her mom, stepdad and Wonjin sits down at the kitchen table eating dinner. Sawyer plays with the food on her plate.

 

Sawyer's stepdad: You don’t like what I made, Sawyer?

 

*Sawyer snaps back into reality

 

Sawyer: Oh no it’s fine. It’s just that everything feels so weird. I don’t know if I can get used to this.

 

Sawyer's stepdad: You will love it here, Sawyer, trust me.

 

Wonjin: Hey, Sawyer nuna, I’m going to hang out with my friends tomorrow, do you wanna join us? 

 

Sawyer’s mom: That’s a great idea, Wonjin, sweetie! Come on dear, you should at least make some new friends first before you start school on Monday!

 

Sawyer: *nods* Sure, Wonjin, I’ll join you!

 

Wonjin: Great, nuna! I’m glad to hear that!

 

Next morning…

 

*Sawyer heads downstairs after waking up.

 

Stepdad: Sawyer, dear, can you get the mail? 

 

Sawyer: Sure!

 

*Sawyer leaves the house and checks the mailbox. To her surprise, the mail delivered to them was actually the neighbours next door. It seems like the mailman has gotten the mail mixed up.

 

Sawyer: A great way to start my second day here… *sighs* Looks like I have to deliver these to my neighbours.

 

*Sawyer heads to the front gate of the neighbours’ house. She rings on the doorbell hoping they would answer. Just then a teenage boy answered the door. She thought she would get along with her neighbours too but she was wrong.

 

Serim: What do you ing want? 

 

Sawyer: *bows* Annyeong hasaeyo, I’m Sawyer, I moved here yesterday with my mom, and it seems like our mail has gotten mixed up.

 

Serim: Now give it to me and scam!

 

Sawyer: *flustered* Uh yeah here

 

*Serim goes to his mailbox and rudely throws her mail at Sawyer’s face. Serim grabs the mail from her hands and slams the door shut.

 

Sawyer: What the- How rude!!

 

*Sawyer stomps back home

 

Sawyer: Can my life here get any worse? *sighs deeply and heads back inside*