Chapter 8: Butterfly Effect

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Who would've thought they were friends?" Seungheon said while they watched their girlfriends go into the house, arms around each other. "Close enough to share almost everything."

"Tell me about it," Wonwoo agreed.

Ever since he met Eunhye, his world had become smaller. Not only did they have mutual friends aside Mingyu, such as Jihoon, who was the one who helped him get a tutor back in high school without having to pay much, or he would have had to sell his gaming console. Then he ended up working in a coffee-shop she recommended, that turned out to be co-owned by her high school senior and Baek Seungheon, who was Eunhye's ex boyfriend four years ago. Now he learned that Eunhye was supposed to be their tutor that day Wonwoo met his first love. She could not come because at the time, she was busy chasing after Seungheon, who had left for another country.

"Jigeum-i actually went abroad to teach kids who don't have the chance to go to school," Seungheon said with a smile. "She told me she realized she like teaching and that she was good at it when she started tutoring. So she took the shortened college program and went to Thailand. "

"What's with the nicknames?" Wonwoo asked, curious. For the long time he had been spending with his boss, he never heard him call Jieun by her real name. "She called you 'Saengseon'."

Seungheon laughed heartily. "She said I'm like a fish. We met when I was working as a scuba diving instructor."

"And 'Jigeum'?"

"Because she's my 'now'." He laughed even harder when Wonwoo curled his fingers in front of him, cringing.  He defended himself. "I used to worry about the future too much, and regretted a lot about my past, but since I met her, it's just been the present that I treasure the most. That's why I proposed to her just after a few weeks of dating. I was so sure."

Wonwoo wondered if his boss knew about him confessing to Jieun during high school. He decided not to mention it.

Seungheon was used to Wonwoo's silence, so he just laid back against the chair and watched him while drinking his dark beer.

"Does she open up to you?" Wonwoo asked sone time later. "Like tell you honestly what she feels?"

The older guy nodded thoughtfully. "Sometimes. But she keeps to herself most of the time. When she does, I let her be. She'll come to me when she's ready to tell me what she needed to."

"Eunhye's kinda like that, too," Wonwoo agreed. "When I think I know what she's thinking about, I'm wrong."

"Eunhye's walls had always been too high with so many layers," Seungheon agreed. "She never opened up to me. I'm actually surprised about you, two. You seem to understand each other so well."

"I don't know about that," Wonwoo sighed. "We rarely fought before, but recently, it's just one misunderstanding after another."

"Probably because you've grown more comfortable with each other," Seungheon suggested. "So you show even your bad side. Maybe, you can look at it as a good thing. It's better to untangle your problems now before it grows into something huge that you can't go back from."

"I guess so."

"That's why I tell Geumi everything," he went on. "Especially things that can cause misunderstandings if she heard it from someone else. It's better that I explain things instead of waiting for the time that she'd ask me to. Usually at those moments, whatever you say doesn't matter because they already made the conclusion before they could ask you."

"Have you cheated on her? Or even came close to?"

Seungheon shook his head. "I don't know, but ever since I fell in love with her, I never saw any other girl the same way. Or have stirrings enough to tempt me, no. When I realized that, I knew she was the one I wanted to marry."

Everything he said got to Wonwoo, especially about the part where he had to be honest with everything. He thought it was too late for him to tell Eunhye about what happened, when he had a feeling she might know already. Even if he did nothing wrong, he did not know why he was feeling guilty.

"Are you two in a fight?" Seungheon suddenly realized Wonwoo's questions and asked. "Is it about me?"

"No, we're not fighting," Wonwoo assured him. He probably would prefer the problem would be out in the open so he could at least look for a solution, but no. It was funny how Seungheon thought he might be a reason for them to fight. "And we never fought about you, Hyung , so don't worry."

"I haven't seen your usual lovey-dovey sweeter-than-honey gestures since you came here."

He laughed at his boss's teasings. "Aside from the fact that Jieun-noona keeps dragging her away, she seemed to have a lot on her mind lately. When I ask about it, she says she's fine."

Seungheon studied Wonwoo, crossing his arms in front of him. He looked like he was about to say something but changed his mind. "Yeah. It might be something totally not related to you, so you probably should leave her to it. Or you'll end up being her punching bag."

"I don't mind."

Seungheon laughed. "With her, you're different compared to other people. Do you know how many customers told me you look angry all the time?"

"That's my astigmatism making my brows look furrowed, Hyung."

The boss shook his head in disbelief. "That was always Eunhye's excuse before. That's why she never wanted to be behind the cash register."

Wonwoo made a mental note to add that on their Common Things List. Remembering she had the same list on her phone, he smiled to himself.

"We should probably call it a night," Seungheon announced, getting up and started to clean up. "This was fun. I actually got to know you more, and Geumi got her wish to stay over."

Wonwoo agreed and helped him clean. After that, they retreated to their rooms for the night. That was when he had the time to think about his night.

Eunhye was supposed to be their tutor that day, and not Lee Jieun. She was the one who agreed to take an extra student, making Wonwoo and Jihoon split the tutoring fee between them. That was also the same day Seungheon left her, which meant if he didn't run away, Wonwoo would have already met Eunhye four years ago. Or say they did break up but she did not apply to that exchange program. Then she would not qualify to go to Japan, she would have been his TA one year earlier, but that also meant she would probably still be with Mark Tuan, and Wonwoo would still be a single college guy, who only played video games and never took dating seriously because he always ended up comparing them to Jieun.

It fascinated him to see how he and Eunhye were connected in such an intricate way, as if they were supposed to meet multiple times before, but none of those were the right times so they did not. He was so excited to tell her all about it but when he tried to, she turned him down.

And so, Wonwoo slept alone in that unfamiliar room, and woke up the same way, missing breakfast.

He felt awful when he woke up the next morning and saw it was already past ten. He had a hard time sleeping the previous night after Jieun's little TMI which got him looking back on his high school days, and Seungheon's words of wisdom started to making him anxious about Eunhye's semi-withdrawn attitude.

He walked into the soon-to-be-married couple having a sweet moment packing a picnic basket together. He had not seen this side of his boss yet, although he already figured he would be like this. Seungheon usually just speak kind and friendly words to all of them, making it hard for Wonwoo to think bad about him just because he used to date Eunhye.

A thing he did not expect was that Jieun, whom he thought would be shy and timid, was actually openly touchy with her fiance. Or maybe that was because they thought they were alone.

Surprisingly, the only thing that bothered Wonwoo about it was that he was there as a third wheel without his own girlfriend to wrap his arms around. He thought he would feel something about his old unrequited love finally settling down, but he was totally fine with it. In fact, it put his mind at ease.

"Where's Noona?" he asked Jieun after making his presence known.

"Probably still sleeping," she answered. "Can you go and wake her up? Let us go for a picnic by the beach."

He nodded and started to go, but then changed his mind. "Why don't the two of you go," Wonwoo told the couple. "Spend some time alone together without minding about us."

"What about your lunch?" Seungheon asked. He then started to take things out of the basket. "Let me leave some of these for you."

"We'll figure something out," Wonwoo assured him, spying what seemed to be tempura and putting it back in the basket. Did he not know about Eunhye's allergies or was he trying to kill her?

"Okay," the older guy shrugged. "Tell Eunhye, you guys can use anything in the fridge. That reminds me, we need to get the groceries."

Jieun nodded, popping a slice of kimbap in . When Wonwoo asked what time they would be back, she smiled knowingly. "Oh, we'll take our time, don't worry. I'll let you know when we're on our way."

Wonwoo bit his lips together in embarrassment at what she was implying, making Jieun laugh but Seungheon looked back and forth between the two of them, wondering what they were talking about.

He helped himself to some sandwich and coffee, fixed a cup for Eunhye before heading to the room she shared with Jieun. He knocked softly before coming inside, expecting to see her still in bed but found it neatly made and his girlfriend was not there. It was not a good sign, since she almost never fix her bed. Her neat streak usually came out when she's either stressed or angry. Or both.

Wonwoo placed the tray he carried on a table just as the bathroom door opened and Eunhye came out fully dressed, towel drying her hair. On top of the scent of coffee coming from the mug, he was wafted with her favorite shampoo, which she probably packed with her for the trip. He suddenly craved strawberry.

"Morning," he greeted, almost having a heart attack when she returned his smile. She came over and took a sip of the coffee. "You're all dressed up already."

"Aren't we leaving yet?"

"Uh..." Wonwoo scratched the back of his head. "They went out to have a picnic lunch, and get some groceries. Jieun-noona said they won't be back until the afternoon."

She seemed not to like the news and Wonwoo was disappointed at her reaction. He expected her to be more enthusiastic now that they were left alone in that huge place.

At least she drank the coffee he made her.

"I'm hungry," he pouted, trying to shift the mood. "Should we order?"

"I checked and the nearest restaurant making deliveries is almost an hour away," she said, eye on the vanity mirror as she used the hair dryer. "Let's just cook something." She turned to him and caught him off guard again with her smile and gentle voice. "What do you want to eat?"

"You."

Her eyes went back to the mirror, an obvious gesture to get away from his suggestion.

"They're going to live here after the wedding. That's going to be rude."

"You're right, sorry," Wonwoo said, giving up quickly, although he felt sulky. He started to help her with drying her hair but she moved the dryer from his reach.

"Can you take a look at the fridge and see what we can cook?"

He did just that with a nagging feeling in his mind that she was trying to get rid of him. He looked around the kitchen and found some basic ingredients but he had no idea what he wanted to eat, until she came down and helped him.

"What about cream pasta?" Wonwoo suggested after seeing some milk in the cupboard. He also knew that was her favorite, and it should cheer her up.

"I want to eat rice," she contradicted, also not a good sign because she usually did not like eating rice.

"Hyung said there's no more rice that's why they went to get groceries.

Eunhye sighed loudly and took out ingredients for cream pasta instead. While she worked on the counter, Wonwoo, who did not know how to help her cook without being told what to do, encircled his arms around her waist while she cut bacon. She froze for a second, alarming Wonwoo with the tension in her, before relaxing back and going on with what she's doing.

Something was definitely up.

***'

Eunhye wanted to get out of the place so she could go home and mope, maybe run away to Chanyeol's or Zico's place so she would be alone. She confirmed with Jieun that Wonwoo, indeed, was the one who helped her that night she got herself drunk. It was probably a slip of her friend's tongue but she already suspected it anyway. She waited for Wonwoo to volunteer the information, but he never did.

Now, she was left alone with him in that huge house and she had no idea how to act around him. He was still acting the same way as if there was nothing wrong, so she decided to do the same, but it was difficult.

The previous night, she had silently observed how he was around Jieun, and although he seemed careful, she saw them talking to each other in low voices and Eunhye did not like where her mind went. She did not want to think bad about her friend, and she did not want to suspect Wonwoo either, but her overactive imagination and personal experiences did not help.

And so when Wonwoo hugged her from behind all of a sudden, she almost pushed him away.

"Did I do something wrong?" Wonwoo asked, his chin resting on her shoulder. The worry in his voice squeezed her heart and she felt guilty about the things she had been thinking. He swept her hair and put it on the other side of her hair before putting his chin back where it had been. "Hmm?"

"I don't know," she said with a sigh. "Did you?"

Wonwoo fell quiet after she threw the question back at him. When she pried his arms off her,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter