Chapter 6: Should've Said No

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We could have met inside," Wonwoo said, handing her a take-out iced coffee.

"We're eating something outside of the cafe's menu," she replied, wondering why she had to explain it to him. "It's basic rule, if not manners."

"There's a table in the breakroom," he insisted. "And a sofa."

Eunhye narrowed her eyes at him. "I like it here." She pointed at their surroundings, which was a small park. "This makes it look like a picnic."

Letting her win the argument, he just proceeded to open the huge lunchbox she left for him, which he thought was just for him, but obviously was for the two of them.

"Weren't you going to have dinner with Jieun-noona?"

She handed him a pair of chopsticks and a spoon. "We did have a reservation at a restaurant, but someone else is with her right now?"

"Who? Mr. Fish?"

"Huh?"

"You didn't know?" Wonwoo picked up a piece of kimbap and fed it to her, holding back his laughter. "Her fiance's name is Saengseon."

She choked, and Wonwoo rubbed her back for her, letting go of his laugh and had to explain that it was not because of her.

"Sorry. I should have waited until you chewed everything up," he apologized, picking a small piece of seaweed wrap off her chin. "I thought you knew."

"I only heard her call him Seon."

"I wonder why," he said, still smiling.

Eunhye smacked his arm. "Stop it. Don't do that when we meet them. Don't laugh at what his parents named him."

"Of course not!" Wonwoo could not believe she thought he would be that rude. "But what are you talking about?"

She took her time chewing what she had in before answering. She even delayed it more by drinking some water. "Jieun asked me to go with her over the weekend to Incheon. Her fiance had the house fixed and she wanted to stay over."

"Okay?"

"But he made her promise to have a friend or two over with her, so they won't have to be alone." Eunhye took a peek at his reaction but his face was unreadable. He was busy picking up a piece of kimchi and munching on it. "They kind of promised to wait for their wedding night, so they're avoiding that."

"This weekend?"

She was not sure whether she should be happy or not when Wonwoo showed interest. Of course, she wanted to meet Jieun's fiance, and she was curious about the house because after the wedding, that's where her friend will live and probably build her family. But something about Wonwoo and Jieun's relationship was bothering her.

Nodding to his question, she tried to think of a way to brush it lightly. "If you're taking extra shifts, I'll just ask Hani and Sunmi."

"If they're avoiding to be left alone, how will I get an alone time with you?"

Wonwoo's straightforward questions whenever she tried to subtly investigate things made it hard for her to concentrate on what she was trying to find out.

"They're just trying to avoid the temptation in sleeping in the same room," she guessed. She did not understand why they were discussing someone else's life. "Of course, other times of the day, we will need to give them a little space, too. They're going to be married."

"Okay, then," Wonwoo said smiling. "I'll go."

"Assa!" She rejoiced half heartedly, but she was used to acting happy so she probably convinced him. She should use this to put her theory to test as well. Taking her phone out, she texted Jieun that she was going.

"But who crashed your girls day out, if not Mr. Fish?"

A sudden interest on who Jieun's with, huh?

"Jiho," Eunhye answered nonchalantly. "They have to end things properly."

Wonwoo choked on his food and went into a coughing fit. "She and Zico-hyung went out?"

She chuckled. "Nope. She wished they did, and now Zico wishes that, too." She handed him her water bottle. "I thought you knew about Zico's failure of a love story."

"I didn't know it was Jieun-noona."

"Well, it was her," she confirmed, quietly observing his reactions. "She had been in love with him since her first year. I think that was since Zico volunteered with them to a children's hospital when we were in second year. When he was in service, she visited him at least once a month, sometimes for weeks in a row. But he kept turning her down, said he only saw her as a younger sister. Look where that got him."

Wonwoo was quiet for some time and she thought he did not hear her.

"How many times did you visit Zico-hyung during his service?"

Was this his way of changing the subject? "Once, I think? Just to let him know I was going to Japan."

"What about Chanyeol-hyung?"

"Three times. I always went with Yoora-eonni or their mother." She suddenly felt ashamed for calling herself their best friend.

"If I went to serve, will you visit me?" Wonwoo asked, looking straight into her eyes.

The question struck her hard with a realization that he had yet to serve and that meant they were going to be away from each other for two years.

"Of course," she assured him and she meant it. "As often as I can."

It was her turn to be quiet. If he had asked that question to take her mind off Jieun, he succeeded. Her mood suddenly became gloomy.

"Sorry, I brought it up," he said quietly. "The thought just came to me when you mentioned it."

 

"We'll eventually have to talk about it, it's okay," Eunhye answered comfortingly while forcing herself to smile.

"Why aren't you asking me about Jieun?" Wonwoo asked, making her blink multiple times. She thought he was diverting the topic, but he was the one who brought it back.

"What should I ask about?" she faked. "You said she used to tutor you in high school. Why? Was there anything else we should talk about?"

He stared at her for a moment and she would guess he was deciding whether to tell her or not. Maybe he would volunteer the information, saving her from formulating her own version of things and investigating.

"No."

Guess not.

"I got her into that job," she offered, trying to steer it away from what she was actually thinking about. "I had to leave and needed someone to replace me. She needed the money and something to do to keep her mind off the things Zico were doing. That was the time he and Seolhyun were all over each other even at campus." She shuddered. "Disgusting."

"Why do you hate her so much?"

Her eyebrows went up at his tone. "You didn't know? She's Professor Kang's mistress. Most of the teachers know, but they're not doing anything about it."

"Yeah, but why do you hate her?"

Eunhye put her chopsticks down. "First, she dated Zico and Prof. Kang at the same time. Second, she chose the married teacher over Zico."

"Okay, but what is it to you?" Wonwoo pressed. "It's not like Hyung was hung up on her, because he was in love with either Jieun or you. And from what I've gathered, you hated her even before the thing with Prof. Kang blew up and was just dating Zico Hyung."

"Why are you picking on me all of a sudden?"

"Because you're acting like you're jealous of the thought of her and Zico-hyung together!"

Eunhye finally lost her appetite. She closed her eyes and breathed in and out to calm herself down before answering him. She meant to tell him about what happened to her family before but she didn't want this to be the way.

"I hate her because she's a homewrecker," she said, the words bitter in . "Even if she and Zico didn't hook up, I would still hate her."

Wonwoo seemed to have cooled down when she no longer raised her voice. "Whatever. I don't even care about these people."

"Just finish eating so I can go home." Eunhye suddenly felt drained. One moment they were fine and in just a snap he lost his temper. Was this how her friends felt whenever she had mood swings?

Wonwoo ate quietly, probably still with a sour mood. He asked if she was going to eat more, but she just shook her head.

"Sorry," he said when she was cleaning things up. "I yelled at you again."

"I'm getting used to it," she answered honestly. "It's not like I have the best temper, either."

Wonwoo took her hand when she zipped the bag that held the cotainers shut. "Can you come closer?"

She sighed and put the bag on the other side so she could lean into his arms. Her mind was a mess because he was not giving her enough reactions that would help her narrow things down.

"Honestly, though. You always sound jealous when talking about that particular ex of hyung's so it kind of got to me."

"You haven't seen me jealous yet.

"What about that time with Gyungie?" His voice had a teasing tone on it now.

"That was nothing compared to how I can really become," she warned. "You saw me punch Zico's face, right? Good. Then you know I can be a little physical when provoked enough."

"I'll keep that in mind."

 

***'

 

Only when Wonwoo was back in their aparment that he had time to think what he agreed to. He said yes on a whim, and when he thought about taking it back, Eunhye was already too excited and talked about how good the place was, according to Jieun.

He still could not believe his world could be this small, and the two girls he had actually loved were close friends. It could also mean that Eunhye already knew about his one-sided love confession to Jieun back then, and it worried him. Although she was not making any signs about it, it was hard to tell.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Mingyu asked, snapping him from his past and back to the room they now shared after Jihoon moved out to live with his cousin, Bumzu, and Wonwoo took his place in the bedroom. "I mean, close the fridge door if you're not taking anything."

Wonwoo realized he had been staring at the can of Coke while being lost in his thoughts and he took it out before closing the small refrigerator, which was his favorite thing in the room next to his new bed.

"Don't tell me you two fought again." Mingyu flopped down in his own bed parallel to Wonwoo's, so forcefully that he thought he heard a spring break. "That's becoming frequent lately."

"Nah, we didn't fight," he answered, opening the can of soda, ignoring the disapproving look he got from Mingyu. "But guess who I ran into, lately."

The younger guy pursed his lips, thinking for a moment until he decided he had no idea and asked for Wonwoo to just tell him.

"Lee Jieun."

"Your old tutor?!" Mingyu covered his mouth with his hand in a shocked gesture. "Wasn't she the reason you got into the university?"

Wonwoo nodded, taking a long swig of the drink. "And she's getting married soon."

"Ouch. Where did you meet again? I thought she worked abroad."

"She did," he confirmed. "But she came to the coffee shop, probably last month? And that's when we met for the first time after three years. Then I saw her again a few days ago, drowning herself in beer ending

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter