Chapter 24: Saem

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo's victory after talking it out with his girlfriend felt short lived as soon as he walked into the coffee shop he worked at. He heard her laugh before he saw her; Im Nayoung talking to two other girls at the table closest to the door. He recognized Jeonghan's ex girlfriend Sowon among them, and he was suddenly back to that vacation AirBnB again, which irritated him even more. When Eunhye told him she wanted to go home first before coming over, he was disappointed but now he hoped she would take her time and arrive after Nayoung left.

Minkyeung almost immediately took off her apron as soon as she saw him.

"I still have fifteen minutes," Wonwoo reminded her rather coldly.

Her smile disappeared, guessing his mood. "What did I do, now?"

Being friends with both my girlfriend and my ex, and introducing them to each other.

He did not reply to that and went inside the staff room to change into the new uniform, courtesy of their temp boss. It was color-coded so she could tell the regular employees from the rest as if memorizing which three out of eight people were not part time. He glanced at the new schedule board at the wall to make sure it was noted that he was starting late, and the rectangle purple dedicated for him said it was. He took his tome changing, occassionally checking his phone if Eunhye sent him any texts.

When he complained to her about the sudden changes in their system, she laughed. "Hey, rainbow colors are easier to remember than names," she had chimed.

The two of them seemed to be back to normal after he ambushed her in the TA office but he suspected it was still fragile especially if she saw Nayoung again so soon. Just what exactly did they talk about?

A quick look at the clock showed a minute to 8 PM so he quickly put on his apron and stepped out. It was a slow night but she still had to finish an order. Minkyeung was both at the counter and the bar because Dawon was not back from his break yet.

"You know, you could've just told me you didn't want Eonni to come to my party."

Minkyeung still had to finish a couple of orders and since there was no customer in line, Wonwoo took care of the second one. That way, she could leave earlier and hopefully take her friend with her.

"I didn't say I didn't want her to go." If you'd told me Nayoung would be there, too, then I would have. "She can hang out with whoever she wants."

"You've been weird since then."

"I'm not." He finished preparing the iced matcha latte. "Which table?"

"Your favorite."

He knew which table she was talking about and felt the tension he did not notice was present leave his shoulders when he saw her. Eunhye sat on her usual seat by the window, writing something on her notebook while glancing at her phone from time to time. Wonwoo wondered, not for the first time, what would have happened if she had been his tutor like she was supposed to. He would probably ask for Internet Cafe dates as reward for higher grades. Knowing she was a gamer would probably made him even more head over heels than he was with Jieun.

"Oppa, don't forget to breathe," Minkyeung reminded him and he exhaled. "Aigoo." She took the glass from him and put it on a serving tray along with the iced americano she made. "I'll take it to her until you get your wits back."

He watched Minkyeung serve the coffee to his girlfriend, who smiled brightly at her. That smile should have been his. Eunhye's eyes drifted to him and she waved. Wonwoo smiled and then pretended to clean the frother he did not even use.

"Stop blushing," Minkyeung told him before finally taking her apron off. "It's embarrassing. Tsk. If Eonni only knows how possessive you are of her..." she let her sentence trail off and left him to his own.

The bell by the front door chimed and a high school student who seemed like she came straight out of a modern webtoon or animation walked in. Long jet black hair in stark contrast against a really pale skin and an all black uniform that made her look black and white if not for the red neck tie she was wearing. She was still looking around when Eunhye called her, "Jimin-a."

The girl brightened and almost ran to the table. So this was who she was teaching. Eunhye told him last week she went back to tutoring but only for a couple of students and with the condition that they meet outside instead of the students' homes. He watched her push the latte to the newcomer.

But one student coming in should have been his warning because it meant the flood gates have been opened. A cram school was right around the corner which meant students wanting to stay up for longer to catch up on school work, which meant coffee. And Dawon was still on break. He was alone.

The door's bell kept chiming as groups of students came in. Minkyeung came out of the staff room as a civilian and waved him goodbye. She took her friends at the first table by the door with her.

****'

"Saem."

Eunhye looked up from the text book she had been marking with an erasable pen, expecting Jimin to have a question about the problem she had been working on. "Hmm?"

"Did you know the one barista had been staring at you for a while?"

She glanced at Wonwoo. He was arranging the cakes on the shelf. The poor guy had been working for an hour straight with a new male part timer. She heard Yibo quit after joining the esports company, and now there were only two of them to man the busiest time of the night: cram school dismissal.

"I can see his reflection in glass window," Jimin went on. "He kept looking over here. At you."

"Focus on your maths instead of checking out the baristas."

"He's checking you out. I'm guessing he'll ask for your number, soon."

Teenagers. "I already have a boyfriend." She almost blurted out that the guy WAS her boyfriend but it might look like she brought Jimin here on purpose so she could date while doing her job. She did, but she did not want to admit that, lest Jimin told her mom.

The girl in question crossed her brow and dropped her pen on the table. "You never told me you have a boyfriend." She smiled. "Can you show me pictures? How did you meet?"

"Yoo Jimin. You're not even halfway done with that."

The kid pouted with all her body. "It's been an hour, you said I should take regular breaks. C'mon, Saem."

"Finish two more problems and I'll buy you a slice of cake." And stop staring at my boyfriend.

Yoo Jimin was actually pretty good at Math even though she complained all the time that she hated it. She got most of the questions correct and undersood quickly whatever Eunhye explained to her. But like her, the kid get distracted too often by almost everything.

"Assa!"

"I'll have to check your work first, though."

She just shrugged and went on answering, thanks to her newfound motivation. After a few minutes she pushed her workbook at Eunhye. Even her handwriting was pretty.

Eunhye was checking her answers when the girl gasped.

"Saem, don't look at him directly," Jimin said in her biggest attempt at ventriloquism. "But, Mr. Barista's coming over. Oh, he's really coming here."

Eunhye had laughed when Wonwoo complained about the new uniform but the bright blue band on the left sleeve of his dark brown shirt stuck out like a sore thumb, and she understood what he meant. Unfortunately, it did not diminish how handsome he looked. If anything, it gave the female high school students something to ask him about other than the menu. She heard one of the bold ones ask if the blue meant he was single. Eunhye almost offered to tu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter