Chapter 12: Patient

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"I'm Jeon Wonwoo, Eunhye's boyfriend."

The doctor just looked at him without saying anything and Wonwoo felt suddenly smaller. He probably blamed Wonwoo for letting this happen. The first time they met, Eunhye was also in the emergency room and he had asked for her pregnancy test.

"Hyung, we came as soon as we could."

Dr. Jung's face softened when he turned to Chanyeol and Zico who just arrived. He gave both of them brief hugs before explaining Eunhye's condition.

"We'll have to admit her and test for other triggers," Yunho announced while a Med Tech took a vial of Eunhye's blood. "She hates the VIP floor, so let's just move her to a private room. Chanyeol, can you take care of that?"

Chanyeol nodded. "Sure. It's not like this is the first time."

Wonwoo wanted to do it but he could not open his mouth. It looked like a situation that had already happened before and he was not needed.

"Do we also need to run that test?" Dr. Jung asked and it took Wonwoo a moment to realize he was talking to him, and what he meant. He suddenly had to recall the last weeks.

"N-no. Sir."

"Good." He turned to the nurse and instructed her some more, including paging another doctor. After that he addressed Wonwoo again. "Come with me to my office, please."

Wonwoo saw Zico and Chanyeol exchanged unreadable glances, making him even more nervous than he already was. He followed Eunhye's doctor brother out of the Emergency room while looking to his hyungs for help but they just shrugged.

The office was in a totally different wing of the hospital and on their way there, Yunho had to make stops a couple of times and three different doctors talked to him while walking the hallways.

"Fellows and interns," Dr. Jung muttered to explain even though Wonwoo did not say anything. He was just trying to distract himself from the girl he left in the emergency room still unconscious.

Jung Yunho opened a door to reveal a spacious office, looking like a clinic on its own inside the already-huge hospitals, given the amount of seats and sofas and a desk for what looked like a secretary. Eunhye's brother went for the door at the far end where his actual office was.

Surely, private hospitals are different, he thought.

"This used to be an abandoned wing after the psychiatric department transferred to the , but we had it converted to more rooms for the pediatric ward and a couple of offices."

Whatever he was saying just went through Wonwoo's head, but he nodded nonetheless, figuring it might be rude to show he was not registering anything. He was a walking zombie.

"Sit down." Jung Yunho pointed to a sofa converted into a bed at the corner of the room. He put a heartrate meter on Wonwoo's finger and filled a mug with water. After a minute, he took the meter and handed him the mug, along with a pill.

"What's this?"

Was he going to kill Wonwoo because he let Eunhye eat a peanut butter cookie?

"You're shaking," the doctor said. 

The moment he said that, Wonwoo's lightheadedness made sense, and how he had been taking shallow breaths since earlier. When he looked at his hands, indeed, they were shaking. He took the mug from Dr. Jung and the pill, although he did not take it right away.

"That will help calm you down," Dr. Jung explained. "The other option is to comfort you and take your fears away, but I don't think it will be that effective, since this is the first time we're actually talking."

Finally assured Eunhye's brother was not trying to kill him, he took the medicine. After a few.minutes, the buzzing in his head cleared and he was not feeling nauseous anymore.

"You'll feel sleepy," the doctor went on. "You can sleep here without the bustling in the emergency room. I have to go on rounds now, so I'll come back and let you know once Eunhye's moved to a private room."

"Thank you, Sir."

"What's that in your hand?"

Wonwoo surrendered the now-crushed cookie in his hand he had been holding since Minkyung cried help. He did not even realize he still had it.

"The cookie she ate that did this."

"Thanks," he said, opening it and taking a sniff. When he recognized the ingredients, he shook his head. "Aigoo, Jung Eunhye. Did she not smell the cinnamon here?"

Wonwoo blinked. Wasn't it peanut butter?

"And peanut butter?! " Dr. Jung added after taking a bite.

"We weren't together when it happened," Wonwoo explained, again feeling stupid. He should have been there with her. "She and the other girls were together. They just came to me when she started reacting to it."

He did not add that she had been drinking and probably did not smell the cinnamon because of all the somaek she had. He figured the doctor brother would really be mad at that.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you," Jung Yunho said. He gestured to the bed. "Rest for now. I'll ask her later."


***'


Eunhye woke up to someone her hair gently and repeatedly. When her eyes opened, she saw Wonwoo watching her with sad eyes.

"Are you awake?" he asked softly and she nodded. As soon as she responded, he sighed in relief and buried his head on her shoulder for a moment before looking up at her again. "How can you sleep for fifteen hours straight? You scared me."

She looked out the window, and true enough it was already dark outside. Wonwoo handed her a glass of water and she drank out of it, too thirsty to mind the pain.

"Everyone came," Wonwoo explained when her eyes fell on the table full of get-well gifts. There were fruits, her gaming laptop, a blender, reminding her about her sutures, and a stuffed tiger which she would guess came from Soonyoung.

She felt sorry for ruining their party. All she had to do was make sure the cookie did not have any of her allergic triggers but she did not, and now there she was, on the place she hated the most. The moment she swallowed the piece of cookie, she knew something was wrong. The smell of the somaek she had been drinking was still strong on her nose that she did not detect the peanut butter on it.

The memory now came to her in a flash and she remembered feeling as if her chest closed up and she could no longer breathe. Naturally, her hand went to her chest and she hid it with the blanket. She did not want to worry Wonwoo.

But it did not slip his eye and he reached for it.

"You scared me to death, do you know that?" She nodded as he covered her small hand in both of his. He held it close to his face and leaned closer to her. "You could have died."

"Sorry," she mouthed, still on mute mode.

Wonwoo stared at her for a long time. How scared he might have been. His eyes looked tired and sad. Eunhye swore to herself she would be careful about everything she ate from then on. She was not going to make him worried again.

"Don't ever pull a stunt like that again," he warned. "If you die because of an allergy, I'll break up with you."

She chuckled but then winced as she was yet again reminded of what happened. She found her phone on the bedside table and she asked for it. There, she typed her reply.

I'm really sorry. I'll watch what I eat from now on. Sorry to let you go through that. I promise.

He read it and held out his pinky finger. "Promise that you'll listen to me, too, when it came to food." She nodded but he emphasized the pinky promise and she obliged. "I'll also be aware of everything so I can take care of you."

She started typing again.

I lo--

But the phone was snatched away from her hand. 

"No more phones for the sick person," Wonwoo announced and put her phone in his pocket. He took a thermos and a bowl where he transfered the contents, which turned out to be congee. "Sunmi-noona came earlier and brought this. She said you hate hospital food so she made you a congee."

He set the table attached to the bed in front of her and placed the food there. She was not feeling like eating but Wonwoo's glare at her made her pick the spoon up. 

"If you finish all of that, I'll make you a fruitshake."

"Strawberry," she mouthed expectantly.

"The doctor did not clear you for strawberry allergy yet, so it'll just be banana for now." Wonwoo waved the fruit at her.

Strawberry allergy?! She had been tested for that ten years ago and that came back negative. She could not be allergic to that. It's her favorite fruit!

"Say, ah," Wonwoo said, taking the spoon from her and feeding her the congee. She finally smiled and ate. As soon as it touched her tongue, she realized she was really hungry. He did not need to feed her because even if it hurt to swallow, her instincts kicked in.

He kept his word, and when she had enough of the rice porridge, he made her the fruit shake. As she requested, he added avocado to it.

"Wow," Wonwoo muttered, watching her while he sipped on his own shake. "I thought the drink would leak out of your wound."

She slapped his arm because she almost choked at his joke. 

"Sorry," he apologized although still amused at himself. He leaned closer to her and played at her collarbone. "Does it hurt?"

She nodded with a pout.

"Good," he spat. "So you don't do it again."

They heard someone clearing his throat and they turned to Jung Yunho standing two meters away.

"Finally, you're awake." He walked over to the bed and Wonwoo started cleaning up. He held up a familiar cookie. "Explain to me how you missed to smell the cinnamon and peanuts from this."

Where the heck did he get the cookie? Her brows creased.

"I have to scold Cha Eunwoo later for injecting you with EpiPen when you've had so much alcohol in your system." Her brother's voice started to rise. "I thought Changmin told you to lay back on the drinking? Are you having fun making other people worry? Did you need that much attention? I had to give Wonwoo-ssi a sedative!"

Her eyes went to Wonwoo questioningly. This part he did not mention.

"It was a mild one," Wonwoo assured her.

She held her hand out to Wonwoo, asking for her phone. She explained that she did not know there were nuts and cinnamon in there because she ate it without thinking. Besides, she never had any intense reaction like the one she had, so she did not expect it to be that bad.

"I still don't get how you could forget to just ask."

She did not have the strength nor the right to talk back to her brother because she knew she deserved all the nagging. All she had to do now was never make that mistake again.

When she did not argue, Yunho's voice softened. He opened one of the two medical pouches he brought with him, took out a roll of medical tape and a fresh bandage and then called on Wonwoo to watch him dress her wound so he would know what to do when he would have to do it.

Eunhye noticed they were casual around each other as if the two had some time together already. Well, she was out for sixteen hours so that probably happened. She just could not believe it because her brother would usually take a while to adjust to any guy she introduced to him, ever since the fiasco with her Computer teacher from high school. Maybe Yunho felt he could trust Wonwoo.

"Make sure never to touch any part of the bandage that will go over the wound," Yunho was instructing. He went into detail about cleaning and covering the wound back again.

The two of them had their eyes on her wounded neck which made Eunhye self-conscious. She wished her brother did not go into such lengths just to teach Wonwoo about something that could be searched in Youtube. After what seemed like forever, Yunho was done both explaining and dressing her wound. He handed Wonwoo a different pouch.

"This is a Jung Eunhye starter pack," Yunho said when the younger guy looked at him questioningly. "That has all her anti allergy meds. I emailed you the list of her triggers and their corresponding meds."

What?!

Eunhye felt slightly violated. Somewhere in Wonwoo's email was a file that could save or kill her someday.

And when did they get that close?

"Thanks, this will really help," Wonwoo said gratefully, looking as if he was given a huge responsibility and a salary bonus at the same time. "I can't bear another episode."

Yunho patted his shoulder. Eunhye wanted to y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter