Chapter 10: Lunch boxes

Happy Ending (Good To Me II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You're taking this lunchbox thing way too seriously," Hani commented one morning while Eunhye cooked the fourth side dish. She took one sausage and popped it in .

"I finally had someone to do it for," Eunhye explained. "I always wanted to fix lunch boxes for someone ever since that home cooking class I took in Japan."

Hani nodded. "I see. But when you came back, you and Mark broke up so you couldn't do it."

Eunhye tried doing it for herself for some time since she came back but soon lost interest and got lazy. Now that she had Wonwoo, she had a reason to do things like this. It was also satisfying whenever he appreciated her cooking.

"Exactly. I probably won't be able to do this often when school starts again. Besides, it's a good excuse to go there and see him."

Her friend gave her a sideway glance. "Are you really not available tomorrow? I have been wanting to go karaoke but I don't have anyone to go with."

"Sunmi?"

"It's their office gathering, remember?"

"Ah. That." It turned out their third roommate had been practicing her dance to perform as some sort of game or contest. She did not want to tell them in case they went to watch her do it. "It's Seungcheol's party."

Hani pouted as she put on vinyl gloves to help her shape the rice balls.

"If you're that bored, you can always come," Eunhye offered.

"Will Gyu be there?"

"Probably."

"Then, no."

Eunhye stared hard at her friend across the kitchen island. "Are you still not going to tell me exactly what happened between you, two?"

Hani sighed. "I found someone else, okay?"

"So you're dating that guy now?" Her heart broke for Wonwoo's roommate, even if she had her doubts about Hani's excuse for the breakup.

Hani avoided her eyes. "No. We can't really be together."

"Then why break up with Mingyu?"

"It's not fair to him," she replied. "And I tried to get myself to love him like I should, but I couldn't. It's just not there."

The two of them fell silent. This part she already heard about. Eunhye just wished her friend would be more honest because she still felt like there was more to it than just the vague "found someone else" story.

"How is he, by the way?"

It was Eunhye's turn to sigh. "He's usually out with his friends from the university."

"Is he seeing anyone?"

"More like everyone, to better put it," she muttered.

"He deserves to have fun," Hani said with a small smile, but Eunhye doubted fun was what Mingyu was looking for whenever he brought a different girl home.

Eunhye carefully filled the lunchbox now that she was done preparing it. Hani helped her by tasting everything.

"But will you be okay with going alone?" Hani asked, worrying. Eunhye had a time in her life when she feared social contact and even though she recovered from all that and faced the world again, the trauma was still there.

"I won't be alone," she corrected. "I'm going with Wonwoo. I know the boys anyway, so it won't be as awkward as you're imagining."

Hani eyed her, thinking she might have been a little overprotective of her. Eunhye had a point in her life when she had temporary social anxiety and Hani had witnessed all of it. Worrying about Eunhye had become her habit.

"I'll go and make the delivery now," Eunhye announced happily when she zipped the thermal bag close.

****'


Eunhye made a stop to her brother's office even if she hated the hospital, most of all, the one Yunho was working for. She still had to get on his good side so she was sure he helped her friend, which was why she made an extra lunchbox and met him at the lobby.

"Why are you doing this? You're scaring me," her brother stated when she delivered it.

"I was cooking stir fried pork earlier and I remembered you," Eunhye answered sweetly. "You'll probably just order jjajangmyeon for dinner again, so I made some for you."

"Do you need money?"

She scoffed. "Did I ever go to you for money?"

"I wish you would," Yunho replied straight away, agreeing she never really came to him when she was in a financial situation. He eyed the second thermal bag she was carrying. "Whose lunchbox is that?"

Eunhye hid it behind her. "Mine," she lied.  She pushed her brother away when he tried to take it from her. "I'll go now, I know you're busy."

"So you really just came here to give me this?" he asked looking genuinely touched. Yunho pinched her cheeks even though he knew she hated that.

"Good evening, Dr. Jung."

They both turned to the person greeting Yunho. It was a guy who looked old enough to be in college, probably around Wonwoo's age. Eunhye was kind of struck by how handsome his features were, but she recovered quickly when she recognized the textbook he was carrying. A med student, obviously.

"Oh, hi," her brother greeted back. She recognized the glint in Yunho's eyes and she could already guess this kid probably had the same passion he had for medicine. He was always like that whenever he met someone with the same interest as him. "It's Cha Eunwoo, right?"

"You remembered me, thank you." Cha Eunwoo's smile reached his eyes, making them look like waning moons. Eunhye was busy trying to remember where she heard the name until his gaze fell on her and the lunch box Yunho was carrying. "Oh, sorry. I didn't know you had company. Are you Dr. Jung's wife?"

"Oh, God. No!" she blurted out.

Did she look old enough to be married? Eunhye made a mental note to put a face pack later that night. If she met with Wonwoo's friends looking like an old lady, she might die of embarrassment.

"This is my younger sister, Eunhye" Yunho introduced her, laughing. "This is Eunwoo. He attended the lecture I gave earlier."

The kid laughed his embarrassment off and apologized to her. "I just thought because of the lunchbox."

"It's a bribe," she explained and turned to her brother. "I wanted to make sure you kept your promise about helping my friend."

"I knew it was not out of the pure goodness of your heart."

But still, her brother thanked her for the food and she left them as soon as the student started asking about his Yunho's career in Cardiology. The thought of listening to her brother talk about that would be a waste of her time and it made her miss Wonwoo more.

***'

"She said I was smothering her."

Wonwoo had asked about Rowoon's break up with his girlfriend because the guy had been quiet all shift but now he would not stop talking.

"She didn't like it when I was jealous so I stopped showing it. And she told me they were just friends so I believed her even if in the back of my head, I knew the bastard was into her. When we broke up, she said she needed to find herself again, but I saw them this morning at the subway station being all over each other. Just friends, my ."

"I've seen than in like, three music videos," Minkyung commented. "Couldn't she be more original? 'I need to find myself'. Why didn't she try the Lost and Found section?"

Wonwoo laughed loudly at that statement.

"Why are you talking bad about my girlfriend?" Rowoon demanded.

"You were the one saying bad things about her. I just agreed with you."

"I was talking to Wonwoo, not you," he snapped.

"Then speak in a way only Wonwoo-oppa can hear, and not the whole cafe."

The bell jingled, indicating the door was opened and they all looked up to see Jung Eunhye smiling brightly. Immediately, Wonwoo's face lit up. Minkyung and Rowoon exchanged glances before going back to doing each their own business.

"Go take your break," Rowoon told him, knowing the drill. "I'll man the counter."

"Thanks man," Wonwoo said, taking his apron off and gesturing for Eunhye to go to their break room which was now furnished with a new sofa and a bigger table. "You're a bit late."

"I know, I'm sorry," she apologized, sitting next to him. She unpacked what she brought, which seemed to be just for one person. "I dropped by the hospital to see Oppa. Yunho-oppa."

She said that last part to explain which Oppa she meant because he looked sour. When it was clear, Wonwoo's smile was back again but Rowoon's words came back to him.

She said I was smothering her.

"Am I smothering you?" he asked.

"What? Of course not." Eunhye finished opening all the containers and handed him a pair of chopsticks. She saw the contents and realized she switched the boxes.

***'

A few miles away, Yunho smugly invited the student to eat at the hospital cafeteria so he could show off his lunchbox made by his sister. He paid for Cha Eunwoo's food which the kid thanked him for, and they took seats on a table.

"Does your sister always bring you lunchboxes?"

Yunho smiled. "Sometimes," he lied. It was the first time, but he sure hoped it would not be the last.

"Wow," Eunwoo reacted when Yunho opened it. "Your sister's sweet."

There were seven different side dishes, although they were simple, they would require a lot of effort to prepare. His favorite, stir fried pork was on a generous amount, along with egg rolls, zuccini pancakes, marinated quail eggs, some vegetables and pan fried tofu, packed with sauce. She even rolled the rice in cabbage wraps.

A note fell out of the lunch box. "Eat all of these and get the strength to face the rest of your day," it said, signed with a ♡Eunhye.

"That friend must be special if she's going to these heights of sweetness," Yunho muttered although he was very touched by his sister's efforts. After taking a commemorative photo to preserve it in his memory, he dug in.

***'


Eunhye tried not to look displeased with her mistake although she was disappointed because she wanted to see a good reaction from Wonwoo which was why she put more side dishes than usual. Now, what she was seeing were food packed in haste, the pieces of each dish not the most appetizing parts. Wonwoo did not seem to mind, though, his hand reaching immediately for a piece of the stir fried pork. She felt proud when he nodded to himself in satisfaction.

"What made you say that?" she wondered when Wonwoo asked if she felt smothered by him.

"Because I'm always jealous," Wonwoo elaborated. "You hate it when a guy gets jealous. Chanyeol-hyung told me not to show it because you'll get sick of me."

She cocked her head to the side, thinking. "But you're cute when you're jealous. And y."

Wonwoo blushed at her straightforward answer. "What are you talking about?"

"Now that I think about it," she said, making Wonwoo start to regret saying anything. He usually did not like it when she thought deeply about things. "I hated a lot of things before, but when I met you, I learned to like them."

He took a piece of cabbage rice roll and exclaimed at how delicious it was. His reaction put a proud smile on her face.

"Like what?" he asked, feeding her a roll.

Eunhye chewed everything before answering. She almost never talked when was full, unlike Wonwoo who usually chew with his mouth slightly open. "I had always been a germophobe but I don't mind if you're sweating bullets when you hug me. I don't go for the guys who work out. Overly toned muscles turn me off but with you, it's different."

He chuckled. He flexed his arms in a joking way. Okay, half-joking because he was proud that his hours in the gym doubled the size of his arms. "So my toned muscles turn you on?"

"Shut up," she protested, color starting to show on her cheeks. "And I usually hate people who chew with their mouth open but I've been watching you eat until now and am able to stop myself from closing your mouth for you."

This time he laughed aloud causing some of the food to escape his mouth and land on her.

"Ya!" she complained while dusting her clothes off.

"What are we going to do?" Wonwoo pinched her nose. "You're crazy about me. Tsk tsk."

"But where did you get that notion?" she asked when she had forgiven him for spitting on her accidentally. "That you're smothering me."

Wonwoo told her about Rowoon's predicament and that he was worried he might be doing the same thing to her because he was jealous all the time.

"That girl's stupid," she commented, helping herself to some of the kimchi she packed for him. "Rowoon's a handsome guy and he's so nice, gentle and very sweet. I don't need to meet that other guy she chose over him to know she's making a mistake."

Wonwoo's eyebrows creased. "I didn't know you had the hots for Rowoon."

It was her turn to chuckle. Now that she told Wonwoo she was okay with him being jealous, he actually became more upfront about it.

"I didn't say that," she assured him. "I just said he's nice."

"So you don't like-like him?"

"Of course not," Eunhye answered right away. "He's too nice for me. I like the tsundere type. Someone who seem cold to everyone and sweet to me. But also kind enough to be warm-hearted to people in his own way."

He was smiling silly when he continued eating, satisfied with the conclusion that she was describing him. They stayed like that for a few moments. Eunhye went silent while he ate, and soon she was checking her phone out, probably reading some webtoons.

"That guy you're helping," he started again when he remembered the rest of Rowoon's story. "He's just your friend, right?"

She thought for a moment, then shrugged. "I guess?"

"You guess? What does that mean?"

"We're not really that close," she explained. "Probably just gaming a few times. I just happened to overhear him talk bad about Yunho's diagnosis of him. I kind of wanted to show him my brother's the best cardiologist in the country and because he needed help."

Wonwoo put his lips together, analyzing what she was saying. "Okay, I'll let this one go, but you have to promise me one thing."

"What?" she asked absentmindedly, picking off what looked like a piece of seaweed from his upper lip, probably from the jumokbap.

"That you won't make this person fall in love with you."

She cringed really hard and they both laughed about it, but in the end she did promise him that, although she protested that it was not something she could actually control.

"Why are the breaks here so short?" Wonwoo grumbled while she put the containers away. "I don't want you to leave yet."

"I still have to prepare my things for tomorrow."

"Right. About that," he said, taking the thermal bag from her so she would not open the door yet and end his beautiful break. "I was thinking, let's just show up for a couple of hours and head to our place after. The guys will be at the venue, so the apartment will be empty."

Eunhye narrowed her eyes at him. "You're sneaky, Jeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter